Allen Ginsberg

bambam

I have just read a collection of Ginsberg poems. I absolutely love the symbolism and imagery he uses. personally I think they're pretty mind blowing. Of course given the setting of the mind expanding drugs and rock and roll of the swinging sixties. You can see the given influences of the majority of his work. It's so rebellious and experimental. I adore that in many of the poems there are no particular rules that he sets. For example they don't rhyme. Nor do they follow a particular syllable pattern. I don't know about you, but the poems I was always shown in school had set rules. Therefore I find his pushing the boundary works intriguing. Though personally knowing very little about poetry, if anybody else has read any of his work I would really appreciate any of your opinions. Also any recommendations. :)

When I studied Ginsberg at uni (we read Howl and Other Poems) I loved it. However, it's quite different from the poetry I usually like, which tends to rhyme and usually flows according to a metre of some description. I think the way Gingsberg still drew me in is that he breaks the rules, yes, but does so knowing inside out what it is he is breaking - it is preciselu because he knows the tradition so well that he can depart from it to such great effect, I think.