#41 lexiepiper

lexiepiper

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,227 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:46 AM

My copy of this came yesterday and I had a flick through, well worth getting if you're doing the challenge, it's really interesting, and also has some on the amazon sellers so you don't even have to pay that much for it :)

#42 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,533 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:23 AM

My copy of this came yesterday and I had a flick through, well worth getting if you're doing the challenge, it's really interesting, and also has some on the amazon sellers so you don't even have to pay that much for it :)

I have banned myself from looking at the section next to each title where it recommends more titles! My poor wishlist is growing far too quickly!

#43 lexiepiper

lexiepiper

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,227 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:14 AM

I have decided to wait until I've read the book before looking at the recs, that way if I don't like it, I wont bother :giggle2:

#44 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,533 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:03 AM

thats what I'm going to do aswell, otherwise I'm going to have far to many books on my wishlist :D

#45 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,533 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:15 PM

A Series of Unfortunate Events

1 - The Bad Begining
2 - The Reptile Room TBR Pile
3 - The Wide Window
4 - The Miserable Mill
5 - The Austere Academy TBR Pile
6 - The Ersatz Elevator
7 - The Vile Village TBR Pile
8 - The Hostile Hospital
9 - The Carnivorous Carnival
10 - The Slippery Slope
11 - The Grim Grotto
12 - The Penultimate Peril
13 - The End

Edited by lauraloves, 12 March 2011 - 06:55 PM.

#46 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,533 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:01 AM

2011 Book 1 - The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold

Synopsis - My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973. My murderer was a man from our neighborhood. My mother liked his border flowers, and my father talked to him once about fertilizer. This is Susie Salmon. Watching from heaven, Susie sees her happy, suburban family devastated by her death, isolated even from one another as they each try to cope with their terrible loss alone. Over the years, her friends and siblings grow up, fall in love, do all the things she never had the chance to do herself. But life is not quite finished with Susie yet ...

Age Rating 14+

Recommendations

1- Lucky - Alice Sebold
2- The Great Blue Yonder - Alex Shearer (challenge book)
3- Hotel World - Ali Smith
4- Elsewhere - Gabrielle Zevin (Challenge book)

My Thoughts

I did find this book a little bit disturbing actually. The subject matter was very hard to understand. The age rating that the challenge gives is 14+. To be honest I wouldnt give this book to a forteen year old. Especially with what happens in the first few chapters, its very harrowing for a teenager to read.

I've added a couple of the recommended books to my wishlist too.

#47 lexiepiper

lexiepiper

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,227 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:16 PM

Just as a note for you Laura, Lucky is just as disturbing as The Lovely Bones, if not more so as it's a true account of the authors rape.

#48 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,533 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:36 PM

Just as a note for you Laura, Lucky is just as disturbing as The Lovely Bones, if not more so as it's a true account of the authors rape.

I didnt know that it was a true story, I've been debating weather to read this one or not!

#49 lexiepiper

lexiepiper

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,227 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:50 PM

I read it after I read TLB, it's interesting, but quite sad, I'd say worth a read if you're interested (if you know what I mean) :rolleyes: :lol:

#50 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,533 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

I read it after I read TLB, it's interesting, but quite sad, I'd say worth a read if you're interested (if you know what I mean) :rolleyes: :lol:

I know what you mean! might keep an eye out for it on my travels around the shops :P

#51 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,533 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:55 PM

2011 Book 2 - CS Lewis - The Screwtape Letters

my main thoughts for this book are in my reading thread.

Age Rating - 14+

Recommendations
The Great Divorce - CS Lewis
The Alcamist
Gulivers Travels - Jonathan Swift

Quick thoughts - I really enjoyed this book and think I'm going to have a look at the recommendations too!

#52 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,533 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:05 PM

Posted Image

2011 Book 3 - The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - John Boyne

Age Rating - 12+

Recommendations - Private Peaceful - Micheal Murpurgo

Synopsis - The story of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is very difficult to describe. Usually we give some clues about the book on the cover, but in this case we think that would spoil the reading of the book. We think it is important that you start to read without knowing what it is about. If you do start to read this book, you will go on a journey with a nine-year-old boy called Bruno. (Though this isn't a book for nine-year-olds.) And sooner or later you will arrive with Bruno at a fence. We hope you never have to cross such a fence.

My Thoughts - This is possibly the saddest book that I have read this year. I don't really want to say all this much as I don't want to give away much about the plot. The book centres around a 9 year old boy Bruno, and how some events of the second world war are seen through his eyes. This book is a brilliant read and for once I agree with the age rating that the UTBG Challenge has given.

Rating - 5/5

#53 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,786 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

I thought that was an excellent book. I think it should be read in all year 5 classes at school. :)

#54 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,533 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:58 PM

I thought that was an excellent book. I think it should be read in all year 5 classes at school. :)

I think it should aswell :D It really gives a childs perspective on the holocaust. I did find it a very sad book though!

#55 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,256 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:52 AM

Hi Laura! I managed to find a cheap copy of the Ultimate Teen Guide Book the other day. I was so thrilled! :D Now I can read all the little reviews myself.

#56 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,533 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:43 AM

Hi Laura! I managed to find a cheap copy of the Ultimate Teen Guide Book the other day. I was so thrilled! :D Now I can read all the little reviews myself.

YAY :D just a quick health warning . . . stay away from the recommendations section! I keep adding to my wishlist because of it!

#57 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,534 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:06 AM

YAY :D just a quick health warning . . . stay away from the recommendations section! I keep adding to my wishlist because of it!

What a troublesome book! :lol: With that one and this forum combined, your wish list will explode by the end of the year :huh:

#58 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,256 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:32 AM

Uh oh! Well, I'll try to skip the recommendations, but I do have a thing where I feel like I have to read all of the text. Posted Image

#59 Easy Reader

Easy Reader

Bibliophile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Locationmid Kent, UK

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:03 AM

I have just done a quick run through the list and have read 53 of them. I would say only about 10 (including Harry Potters) of those 53 are YA though

#60 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,533 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

What a troublesome book! :lol: With that one and this forum combined, your wish list will explode by the end of the year :huh:

My wishlist for this year is already bigger than last year and we are only in april!

Uh oh! Well, I'll try to skip the recommendations, but I do have a thing where I feel like I have to read all of the text. Posted Image

Same as me Kylie! I don't feel like I've read a book properly unless I've read every word!

I have just done a quick run through the list and have read 53 of them. I would say only about 10 (including Harry Potters) of those 53 are YA though

wow youve read more than me so far! I agree though, some books such as War and Peace I would definiatly not class as YA!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users