129 replies to this topic

#21 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,547 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

Oh boy, looks like I am going to be very busy for the next few years :rolleyes: . I have always enjoyed YA books and I am still reading most of my daughters (or try to as she reads at least twice as fast as me :irked:) She is more and more leaning towards adult fiction now though, so this list will be great for both of us to rekindle our love of YA books :mrgreen: Thanks for putting the hard work in :friends3:
PS: Just had a look at the series books - does it mean we have to read all of them, too? :giggle2:

I'm very sorry for getting you hooked :giggle2:

I'm getting there with the list, the first section is done and I'm now nearly through the second :D

The series are listed in the main list, so I think so, but then again one particular series has 50 odd books in it. Thats just under a years reading for me!

#22 Kell

Kell

Star of the Show!

• Moderators
  • 10,161 posts
  • Reading now?:Not as much as I'd like!
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

Just been looking at the A-D list and there are quite a few books on there I most certainly wouldn't regard as teen books and, in fact, think many adults would struggle with some of them too! There's no doubt there are some great books on that list, but I wonder what their criteria was for inclusion in a list supposedly aimed at teens...

Still, a great challenge and I think I can see myself picking up a few from the list too (I already have some of them on Mount TBR - LOL!).

#23 lexiepiper

lexiepiper

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,227 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

Do you have the black 2006 edition or the white 2010 one?

#24 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,547 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

Do you have the black 2006 edition or the white 2010 one?

I have the black one! Didnt realise there was two editions! oh no :(

#25 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,547 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:13 AM

Just been looking at the A-D list and there are quite a few books on there I most certainly wouldn't regard as teen books and, in fact, think many adults would struggle with some of them too! There's no doubt there are some great books on that list, but I wonder what their criteria was for inclusion in a list supposedly aimed at teens...

Still, a great challenge and I think I can see myself picking up a few from the list too (I already have some of them on Mount TBR - LOL!).

I think its quite simular throughout the book, Things like War and Peace I think would be quite challenging for a teenage read. They have age ratings beside all of them and most do not go over 16 years!

I'm really excited to get stuck into this challenge . . .as soon as I finish the lists! :D

#26 lexiepiper

lexiepiper

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,227 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

I have the black one! Didnt realise there was two editions! oh no :(

That's just what I saw on Amazon, not sure what the changes are or anything, just wanted to make sure as I ordered the black one too :D

#27 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,547 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

That's just what I saw on Amazon, not sure what the changes are or anything, just wanted to make sure as I ordered the black one too :D

Ah ok then :D will have to have a look and see if I can find out what the differences are!

I'm almost finished with the lists, I've been doing it for most of the day and I'm gonna do the last bit in the morning :D

#28 lexiepiper

lexiepiper

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,227 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:55 PM

Ah ok then :D will have to have a look and see if I can find out what the differences are!

I'm almost finished with the lists, I've been doing it for most of the day and I'm gonna do the last bit in the morning :D

That's awesome, you've done such a good job! This list is much better than the other one I have :mrgreen:

#29 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,547 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:05 AM

That's awesome, you've done such a good job! This list is much better than the other one I have :mrgreen:

Aww thanks :friends3: I'm almost almost done now :D At least I know that my list is straight out of the book, so I'm actually going to read all the books mentioned! a bit scary tbh!

#30 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,547 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

The Lists are done and posted :D :D :D *does happy dance! :giggle2:

Its only taken two and a half days to do :P I'm so glad I've done it though cos I know that my list is straight out of the book!

I still need to highlight what I've read and whats on my wishlist and tbr pile but I shall do that later :D

#31 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,298 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

Yay! Thanks for all the work, Laura. :)

I've looked over the first couple of posts and have happily noted that I've read quite a few and have quite a few more on my TBR pile. Like Kell, I'm surprised at the number of books on there that I would firmly classify as adult books. Not to worry though; it will just mean more overlapping with my other challenges. ;)

#32 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:38 PM

I should* be able to put the list into a spreadsheet like the '1001 books challenge' one - would you like me to try?

*I can't guarantee it without trying!

#33 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,547 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

Yay! Thanks for all the work, Laura. :)

I've looked over the first couple of posts and have happily noted that I've read quite a few and have quite a few more on my TBR pile. Like Kell, I'm surprised at the number of books on there that I would firmly classify as adult books. Not to worry though; it will just mean more overlapping with my other challenges. ;)

Another Lovely Long List! :giggle2: I was looking at the age ratings beside the books and some of the books that have a 12+ rating I think I would struggle with!

I should* be able to put the list into a spreadsheet like the '1001 books challenge' one - would you like me to try?

*I can't guarantee it without trying!

If you wouldnt mind giving it a go :friends3: if it doesnt work then don't worry :D

#34 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:09 PM

Okay - will do! :)

#35 Susanne

Susanne

Avid Reader

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationMorecambe

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

Wohoooo, I love that list :mrgreen: !! I just have one problem now - my library ticket is maxed out (why will they let me have only 20 :giggle2: ) but as soon as I have made some room on it again I will order the first few. Can't wait to get stuck in :readingtwo: . Thanks again for the work you put in Laura :hug: x

#36 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

Okay, here goes...

It should work (I've just done mine - 62 books read = 6.19% - not that I'm intending to do the challenge :wacko: ) - type 'r' in the red column next to the book you've read, and when you click into another cell, it turns the 'r' green and changes the percentage at the top. :)

Download link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ry2vfu

#37 lauraloves

lauraloves

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,547 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

Wohoooo, I love that list :mrgreen: !! I just have one problem now - my library ticket is maxed out (why will they let me have only 20 :giggle2: ) but as soon as I have made some room on it again I will order the first few. Can't wait to get stuck in :readingtwo: . Thanks again for the work you put in Laura :hug: x

hehe why only twenty :giggle2: I can't wait to get stuck in either :D

Okay, here goes...

It should work (I've just done mine - 62 books read = 6.19% - not that I'm intending to do the challenge :wacko: ) - type 'r' in the red column next to the book you've read, and when you click into another cell, it turns the 'r' green and changes the percentage at the top. :)

Download link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ry2vfu

Yay thanks Janet :friends3: thats brilliant :D

#38 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

No worries. :)

#39 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,298 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:34 AM

Thanks Janet! That's a great list. I went through it straight away and I've read 90 books. I've probably got that number again on my TBR pile. Good reading times ahead! :)

#40 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:20 PM

No problem, Kylie - you know how I like making spreadsheets! :D I've just made one for my next challenge which I'll probably start in about three years - I'm glad it's been of use to someone. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users