The Picture Of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

Purple Poppy

I pick this up almost every time I am at the bookstore, and put it back down again. I just never seem to be in the mood for it. I watched the movie a few weeks ago, and I do have to say the man playing Dorian is quite tasty, the story was quite disturbing. I think the visual of the picture after Dorian started making bad choices is a visual I will never get out of my head. I guess I will have to read the book to see if it is as disturbing as the movie (and hopefully better!)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming you're talking about the latest incarnation: the movie changes the story, adds in a character and is almost universally (on here anyway) considered to be a disrespectful travesty. The book is infinitely better. :)

Oh I would not call the movie anything close to being good. About the only good thing in it was the lead actor, but honestly he was there more for scenery than anything else. I was simply saying that I watched the movie, and it has again reminded me that I want to read the book. My problem seems to be that I keep getting sidetracked when looking at it. The last time I was at Barnes and Noble I went with the intention of getting it, but picked up Cranford instead, and arrived home realizing that I again did not purchase it.

I read the book due to its recent film incarnation. The book was good (I'm a huge Wilde lover, though I prefer the plays to this novel), the film was awful. Though I think my friends and I suspected as much before we went; we tottered along for the eye candy mainly.

I kept laughing during it in the cinema (I have an unfortunate habit of doing this at inappropriate times) and at the climax of the film I had an uncontrollable giggling fit, during which I think the entire cinema managed to hear me splutter the words "but he looks like Voldemort"...

I have just read this novel, and was quite surprised by it!

I had some knowledge of the story previous to reading it, but it was not quite what I expected. My only other 'delve' into Wilde's work was watching 'The importance of being Earnest' in film format, which I enjoyed for it's frivolity and wit, so was expecting something along the same lines, but far from it!!

There's no doubting Wilde's writing skill in Dorian Grey-, descriptive with evocative and thought provoking issues surrounding one's outer appearance, and the true character within. What surprised me was Wilde's ability to write in such a dark, foreboding, almost gothic style. I wasn't expecting this at all! The novel oozes with despair and a distinct sense of depravity. I can understand why this was so shocking in the era of it's publication.

Wilde does include some wit and relief in the form of Lord Henry and his take on life, love, society and women, but even this is darkened by the knowledge that Lord Henry is the primary instigator of 'Grey's' road to ruin.

I didn't have many good feelings towards any of the characters in the book.

Dorian, despite the coaxing of Lord Henry, ultimately chooses his own path, and continues to follow it, despite seeing the outcome with his own eyes.

Lord Henry, although an arresting character, is also greatly flawed by pushing Dorian towards a life with no limits. A life we see he doesn't follow himself. (No mention of scandal around him, or no vision of him frequenting opium dens is given by Wilde.) Instead, he lives vicariously through others, seemingly gaining enjoyment and kudos through 'their' notoriety.

Basil Hallward is also not blameless in the novel. He uses Dorian in the beginning to fulfill his own needs, as a crux for his art, and sees only beauty, ultimately sowing the seed of Dorian's skewed sense of self-worth.

The only character really worthy of note, I felt, was the tragic Sibyl Vane. The only character to recognise true emotion, that of love, lay herself bare before it, and ultimately pay the price because of it.

I found this book an 'interesting' and 'thought-provoking' read rather than an enjoyable read, that has piqued my interest enough in Wilde's writing style to search out and delve into his other works.:)

Very helpful/insightful.

I kept laughing during it in the cinema (I have an unfortunate habit of doing this at inappropriate times) and at the climax of the film I had an uncontrollable giggling fit, during which I think the entire cinema managed to hear me splutter the words "but he looks like Voldemort"...

Bahaha! :)

I loved this book - Wilde's wit and beautiful wording is an impressive sight. This story is the sort that is difficult to get into whenever you pick it up, but gradually becomes absorbing as you read along. Especially as you get deeper into the story, it's hard to put it down until you know how it ends.

What I love most about this book is it's dual atmosphere (or at least that's how I view it). Throughout most of it, you find Wilde's trademark style - dialogue riddled with ironic and witty remarks, sharp humor, and the like. But then, when you don't really expect it, scenes come up that take a turn on you. Suddenly, the book goes down the path of classic Gothic fiction, creating a palpable atmosphere of horror and suspense. All I could think after reading this was, 'god, didn't know Wilde had it in him!'

It's not a book for everyone, of course. It's quite wordy and doesn't contain a lot of action, and then there are some points where it seems to get a bit off track. Chapter 11 (I think?) is a good example of this; it's purpose is to place a transition through Dorian's decent into extreme Hedonism so we can see what he turns out to be in later years. However, most of the chapter becomes a shopping list, explaining all of the wonderful treasures Dorian would become interested in and listing page after page of items he would buy. There's not much purpose for it, and it gets incredibly boring.

Other than that, though, I have no complaint on the book. In my opinion, it was beautifully written and a worthy read.

^Haha, well said. It could have been showing off, but I think Wilde also lived in the time where writers were paid by the sentence (or something along those lines). He may have just been trying to lengthen the book - a lot of writers back then added in a lot of extra, unneeded details to get more money, which is part of the reason I have a hard time reading works from that time.

I like his writing style. I love the inner dialogue approach to writing, and the detailed descriptions of everything. It adds something to the experience of reading. It's not too direct and encourages readers to "linger" longer on a word or seemingly insignificant detail he describes or points out.

• 5 months later...

One of the most surprising (as in i underestimated it), morally corrupt but equally it still rings true today. You can tell oscar is revealing his own internal struggle with religion, the church and its dogma, homosexuality; the value of intellect, art and aesthetic beauty. The corruption of morals and beauty by ageing.

What a book !

• 9 months later...

This book is just brilliant! I read it in a single breathe, fascinating and intriguing. It lead me to the thought, we must live our life with dignity. It taught me a lot.

By the way, I read this book in russian, but I'm really going to read it in Oscar Wilde's native language, it must be more interesting in English, although the main idea will be the same.

I just read some pretty exciting news: Harvard University Press has published an uncensored version of The Picture of Dorian Gray as Oscar Wilde originally wrote it. Yay! This is definitely going on the wish list. :) I looked it up on the Book Depository's website and there's a lovely annotated, illustrated hardcover edition.

I just read some pretty exciting news: Harvard University Press has published an uncensored version of The Picture of Dorian Gray as Oscar Wilde originally wrote it. Yay! This is definitely going on the wish list. :) I looked it up on the Book Depository's website and there's a lovely annotated, illustrated hardcover edition.

That's very interesting. Do you know which themes or bits were censored?

EDIT. Sorry didn't realise you had linked to the news article and have now read it :-)

Edited by Duncan

I have not read this book (not what I usually go for I must admit!) but after reading the posts on here I might have to get it, I know of the story but didn't know it was written by Oscar Wilde. Will add this one to my list!

I know I really should give this novel a try again, and reading all the comments here is tempting me to get to it.

I think the trouble is that I originally read it as a much younger Booknutt - and though I finished it, it scared me! :o:D

But nowadays even the teens are used to the seamier side of life, and darker side of human nature - through the "Twilight" series, and various other vampire-stuff, if nothing else! :lol:

So, maybe I'll be brave, and re-visit "Dorian"

• 5 months later...

I am reading this at the moment. I'm not a huge fan of Classics - I find them very difficult to read - but this is one of the better ones. I'm only a quarter of the way through, and the real story has yet to begin, but I'm finding it very deep and thought-provoking.

It's not a book for everyone, of course. It's quite wordy and doesn't contain a lot of action, and then there are some points where it seems to get a bit off track. Chapter 11 (I think?) is a good example of this; it's purpose is to place a transition through Dorian's decent into extreme Hedonism so we can see what he turns out to be in later years. However, most of the chapter becomes a shopping list, explaining all of the wonderful treasures Dorian would become interested in and listing page after page of items he would buy. There's not much purpose for it, and it gets incredibly boring.

I have just struggled through Chapter 11 last night and have to say I agree 100%. It almost put me off finishing the book, and just felt completely out of place. Having said that, I'm now on Chapter 12 and all seems better!

The comments here have put this back on my radar of a book to read! Read the Graham Masterton ripoff of this as a teenager and enjoyed the gruesomeness of that at the time. Never have got around to reading the real thing - sounds like an intersting read, even if hard work....

• 7 months later...

Taken from my blog - My thoughts on The Picture of Dorian Gray :

This book is one of the classics and like most of the classics I’ve read it took me a long time to read. Maybe it’s because of the heavy influence on setting and character description that it takes me a while to get my head round it. I started reading The Picture of Dorian Gray in around January as I remember it was on the recommended reading list for my English Literature A-Level. Unfortunately, at the time I never really found the time to read anything that wasn’t completely necessary.

Written in 1890 The Picture of Dorian Gray tell the story of a beautiful young man who is part of the well-off society of the time who is fully taken with the new idea of hedonism which is introduced to him by Lord Henry Wotton. Lord Henry speaks to Dorian telling him that he is beautiful and should live his life to suit him. Dorian’s friend and well known painter Basil Hallward finds great pleasure in painting portraits of Dorian and soon becomes infatuated.

One particular piece is painted, which is where the book begins, which is seen as absolutely astounding by all three men. The portrait captures Dorian’s beauty magnificently and Dorian wishes for the portrait to grow old instead of him. Little did he know that his wish had come true. Due to the influence of Lord Henry, Dorian begins to live his life to please himself with his own beauty being the centre of his life. He meets lowly young actress, Sybil Vane becomes besotted and proposes to her. Dorian, so taken with Sybil’s talent, invites Lord Henry and Basil to accompany him to one of her shows. However Sybil had fallen so deeply in love with her ‘Prince Charming’ her talent had faded which angered Dorian as her beauty, which was her acting had gone and no longer had interest in her. He returns home and notices the portrait had changed and realises that the sins he commits are reflected onto the portrait rather than him.Over the next years Dorian experiments with many vices and committing many sins, with his portrait becoming uglier over time. Eventually Dorian’s conscience catches up with him and he begins to realise the damage he’s done by looking at the terrifying portrait. He decides that a confession is what is needed to repent. However this isn’t enough so he takes a knife and stabs the portrait, killing himself.

The Picture of Dorian Gray is a fascinating one; it concentrates so much on how beauty and aesthetics are important in life. It is often mentions throughout the book how beautiful Dorian is, or how certain objects or scenes are beautiful. There is also constant talk of ‘falling in love’. I specifically remember Dorian saying ‘I haven’t fallen in love in at least a week’. The concept of love then (or at least to the higher members of society) is very different to the ones we hold today. I often translated characters ‘falling in love’ as just them being fascinated or admiring someone or something rather than the affection and feelings we associate love with today.

The novel also highlights the difficulties of leading a dual life. Dorian lives his life being a socialite attending various well-to-do people’s houses for dinners and luncheons as well as attending events; on the other hand his life is full of hedonism, vanity and criminality which are shown through the degradation and his detest for the portrait. It is very apparent that Dorian is heavily influenced by Lord Henry’s hedonistic ideals, this is picked up upon by Basil, who is distraught at the thought of Dorian’s dark descent into vanity. Dorian had served as a muse to Basil’s work and deems his portrait of him as his best work and is mortified when Dorian shows him what the portrait has become. Basil confesses his attraction and fascination with Gray, who then almost mercilessly murders him, adding more deformity to the portrait.

The character of Basil is by far my favourite as he doesn’t seem to be influenced by vanity and hedonism as much as Dorian and Lord Henry have. However, Dorian, unable to take responsibility for his terrible actions blames Basil and his portrait for what he has become and even blames the knife he used to kill Basil as responsible for the murder. Basil also represents the homosexual undercurrent of the book. As previously mentioned, Basil is infatuated with Gray and revels in his beauty. The Picture of Dorian Gray was used against Wilde in court for him being a homosexual which at that time was definitely an offence which he spent time imprisoned for.

Even though The Picture of Dorian Gray took me a very long time to read, I truly enjoyed it. Reading the slow dark decent of Dorian is upsetting and something I feel is still apparent today, many people are easily influenced into behaviours which are immoral sometimes never escape from them. This leads me to question if Dorian ever really repented for his sins and if we feel a sense of catharsis in his death. Personally I think not, Dorian was simply driven insane by the ugliness of his portrait and couldn’t bear to see himself in that way but due to the hedonistic state of mind he was in I highly doubt that he felt truly apologetic for the crimes he had committed.

These are just my thoughts and ramblings really rather than a critical review. :)

• 4 months later...