The Picture Of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

Purple Poppy

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we should judge the poor boy from Narnia, the movie was pretty bad regardless of his presence and that silly accent they made him put on didn't help his credibility; in the first five minutes of Stardust (where he plays young Dunstan Thorn), minus the silly accent and the bad movie, he seemed alright so I'm willing to give him a chance.

First, however, I should probably bump "Dorian Gray" up my TBR pile... *ashamed, reaches for "The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde"...*

LOL just googled the poster you mean and I must say, it looks like a cross between Sweeney Todd, Interview with the Vampire and I'm not sure what else. It could either be good in a very trashy sense or irredemably terrible, I cannot say for sure...

Edited by BookJumper

Ben Barnes doesn't look at all how I expected. I was expecting someone who was more 'classically' beautiful as opposed to typically good looking. It'll be interesting, but I'm really not expecting much.

I agree Wilde Lily, they should give us our money back :welcome:

• 3 weeks later...

Ben actually is a very good actor and a very intelligent man as well so I guess he'll do great but I'm getting a bit worried about the film itself. I read some reviews of a screening the other day and these people weren't really happy. Ben said they're now going to change some things, apparently they had a scene that contained violence AND sex which seemed to have been a bit too much. I'm afraid it might turn into some sort of slasher film :D

• 2 months later...

I finished it some days ago. I can't say I was impressed. It wasn't bad, but I didn't thought it was great either. The book's meanings were great and very important, but the plot was somewhat boring, it never really gave you the feeling "Oh, I'm eager to see what happens next!

As of the film, I think that it can't really be adapted successfully by anyone because, like I said, the heart of the story isn't found in the plot, but in its meanings. So, it will probably be boring or something like that.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't read through this thread yet so apologies if I post thoughts already expressed by other members.

I finished this earlier and thought it was really great. I vaguely knew the story - I knew what happened to the portrait and I knew the ending- but I didn't know how it got to that point.

Although the characters weren't particularly likeable I couldn't help but be amused by Lord Henry - and I think many people, even if they haven't read the book, know some of his famous sayings!

I thought the prose was wonderful - it was easy to read, and the story of Dorian's dark descent into badness was fabulous. Be careful what you wish for - it might come true! :D

Such a pity this is the only novel he wrote.

I did A Woman of No Importance for AS level 2 years ago and absolutely loved it. :D I believe there is a new film version of this in the offing?

I've seen The Importance of Being Ernest (with Penelope Keith being absolutely brilliant as Lady Bracknell) at the theatre in Bath - that was fab. I must invest in the (fairly?) recent film version.

I am definitely going to look at more of his works, Roxi. :lol:

ETA: AWONI film details

Edited by Janet
added a bit!

Have you read the Canterville Ghost? It's a short story, available on Gutenberg, and there's a wonderful movie adaption featuring Patrick Stewart as the ghost (when he's not being a starship captain, he does some wonderful classic/Shakespearean adapations both on the small screen and on stage.)

Can I also just say that thanks to Ceinwenn on this forum I have the most beautiful edition of Dorian, the leatherbound Penguin Classics edition. They're selling in most places cheaper than the RRP as far as I can tell, and whatever about the other five in the set the binding is just perfect for Dorian, it's a really gorgeous book :D If anyone loves this book and wants a really nice copy of it, I'd recommend that copy.

Have you read the Canterville Ghost? It's a short story, available on Gutenberg, and there's a wonderful movie adaption featuring Patrick Stewart as the ghost (when he's not being a starship captain, he does some wonderful classic/Shakespearean adapations both on the small screen and on stage.)
Oooh :D I need to see this, methinks!

It's very good, Giulia. I watched it years ago when I was so young I didn't even know it was based on a story, or who Oscar was, and I loved it! Patrick Stewart is a superb actor (he also did a version of A Christmas Carol, where he played Scrooge.)

Thanks for the link, Roxi. I have The Happy Prince as a download but not the Canterville Ghost. I shall certainly get that.

Can I also just say that thanks to Ceinwenn on this forum I have the most beautiful edition of Dorian, the leatherbound Penguin Classics edition. They're selling in most places cheaper than the RRP as far as I can tell, and whatever about the other five in the set the binding is just perfect for Dorian, it's a really gorgeous book :D If anyone loves this book and wants a really nice copy of it, I'd recommend that copy.

I have this! :lol: I managed to get it in The Works for

• 3 months later...

I have just read this novel, and was quite surprised by it!

I had some knowledge of the story previous to reading it, but it was not quite what I expected. My only other 'delve' into Wilde's work was watching 'The importance of being Earnest' in film format, which I enjoyed for it's frivolity and wit, so was expecting something along the same lines, but far from it!!

There's no doubting Wilde's writing skill in Dorian Grey-, descriptive with evocative and thought provoking issues surrounding one's outer appearance, and the true character within. What surprised me was Wilde's ability to write in such a dark, foreboding, almost gothic style. I wasn't expecting this at all! The novel oozes with despair and a distinct sense of depravity. I can understand why this was so shocking in the era of it's publication.

Wilde does include some wit and relief in the form of Lord Henry and his take on life, love, society and women, but even this is darkened by the knowledge that Lord Henry is the primary instigator of 'Grey's' road to ruin.

I didn't have many good feelings towards any of the characters in the book.

Dorian, despite the coaxing of Lord Henry, ultimately chooses his own path, and continues to follow it, despite seeing the outcome with his own eyes.

Lord Henry, although an arresting character, is also greatly flawed by pushing Dorian towards a life with no limits. A life we see he doesn't follow himself. (No mention of scandal around him, or no vision of him frequenting opium dens is given by Wilde.) Instead, he lives vicariously through others, seemingly gaining enjoyment and kudos through 'their' notoriety.

Basil Hallward is also not blameless in the novel. He uses Dorian in the beginning to fulfill his own needs, as a crux for his art, and sees only beauty, ultimately sowing the seed of Dorian's skewed sense of self-worth.

The only character really worthy of note, I felt, was the tragic Sibyl Vane. The only character to recognise true emotion, that of love, lay herself bare before it, and ultimately pay the price because of it.

I found this book an 'interesting' and 'thought-provoking' read rather than an enjoyable read, that has piqued my interest enough in Wilde's writing style to search out and delve into his other works.:17:

I'm so glad you enjoyed Dorian! It's always nice to hear people have discovered the joy of Oscar's writing :17: You should also check out his short story, The Canterville Ghost as it's (I think) a lovely story - and has a great movie adaption featuring Patrick Stewart as the ghost :D

I found this book an 'interesting' and 'thought-provoking' read rather than an enjoyable read, that has piqued my interest enough in Wilde's writing style to search out and delve into his other works.:17:

I'm so glad you enjoyed Dorian! It's always nice to hear people have discovered the joy of Oscar's writing :D You should also check out his short story, The Canterville Ghost as it's (I think) a lovely story

The Canterville Ghost is a charming and clever twist to the ghost story, and Wilde's brilliant, signature use of words makes it superb. Oscar Wilde paints masterpiece pictures with words like a master painter does with watercolors. Like the fictional painting of Dorian Gray, Wilde's painting of Dorian Gray, Wilde's written picture of of Dorian Gray never grows old.

Treat yourself to Wilde's fairy tales, written for children and grown-ups alike. These are stories which he told to his sons when they were little. :D