Kelley Armstrong - Haunted (Women of the Otherworld #5)

Kell

Author: Kelley Armstrong

ISBN #1841493414

It's no secret that I'm a fan of Kelley Armstrong's "Women of the Otherworld" series, but neither Dime Store Magic nor Industrial Magic were a patch on the 1st two books in the series; Bitten & Stolen. What can I say? Armstrong is most definitely back on form with this 5th installment

Focusing on Eve Levine; powerful half-Witch/half-Demon & self-styled "bad-girl", who is now a Supernatural ghost (as opposed to a "normal" ghost), the reader is enticed into the afterlife with her, where she manages to cause as much trouble as she did when she was alive. This time, however, she has to hunt down a most dangerous breed of demi-Demon; a Nix.

As the story is firmly set in the afterlife, we don't tend to see much of the living characters we've grown to love, such as Savannah (Eve's teenaged daughter) & her guardians Paige (a Witch) & Lucas (a Sorcerer), but we have the novel twist of being able to leap in & out of the afterlife to witness events of the past - with an ingenious explanation for the horrific murders committed by Lizzie Borden - which more than makes up for their almost total absence.

We do, however, have time to really get to know Eve a little better, as well as having the chance to see Savannah's father, Kristoff, in a different light, now that he has also passed over to the other side. It makes for interesting reading, to see characters previously thought of as being "bad" people actually turning out to be pretty normal when you are finally able to see things from their point of view without the bias of others who think they are the enemy!

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this romp through the various ghost dimensions & can't wait for the next book, Broken, to be published next May (incidentally, a teaser for this next tale is included at the back of the book, so I already know we return to Elena Michaels, the Werewolf from Bitten - hurrah!).

If you haven't already read the previous installments, I heartily recommend picking them up - you'll thank me for it in the end!

• 4 months later...