My 11 top books tbr in 2011

1. China Mieville - Iron Council

2. China Mieville - Kraken

3. Clive Barker - Abarat 2

4. Paolo Bacigalupi - The Windup Girl

5. Richard Dawkins - Ancestors Tale

6. Haruki Murakami - Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman*

7. Haruki Murakami - The Wind-up Bird Chronicle

8. H. P. Lovecraft - Haunter of the Dark (finish stories)

9. Mary Gentle - Rats & Gargoyles

10. Jeff Vandermeer - City of Saints & Madmen

11. Marion Zimmer Bradley - The Mists of Avalon

Edited by chrysalis_stage

Reading Challenges

Chunkster reading challenge 2011

Feb 1 2011 - Jan 31 2012

Definition of a Chunkster: A chunkster is 450 pages or more of ADULT literature (fiction or nonfiction) If you read large type books your book will need to be 525 pages or more

Level of participation:

Do These Books Make My Butt Look Big? - this option is for the reader who can't resist bigger and bigger books and wants to commit to SIX Chunksters from the following categories: 2 books which are between 450 - 550 pages in length; 2 books which are 551 - 750 pages in length; 2 books which are GREATER than 750 pages in length

:readingtwo:

450 - 550 pgs long

1. Kraken - China Mieville - 481 pgs

2. Jeff Vandermeer - City of Saints & Madmen - 496 pgs (next to read)

551-750 pgs long

1. Iron Council - China Mieville - 614 pgs

Greater the 750 pgs long

Global reading challenge

Expert level - 2 novels to be read from each continent/region, each from different countries or states within and different authors

Africa

Asia

Australasia

Europe

North America (inc Central America)

South America

Antarctica (books set in, not author from)

:readingtwo:

1001 books you must read before you die (continued)

tbr

1700's

Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe

1800's

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen

The Fall of the House of Usher - Edgar Allan Poe

R.L.Stevenson - Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde & The Merrymen & Other Tales and fables

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy

The Death of Ivan Ilyich - Leo Tolstoy

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Walden and Other Writings - Henry David Thoreau

1900's

J.R.R.Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings

The Trial - Franz Kafka

Tarka The Otter - Henry Williamson

Sons and Lovers - D. H. Lawrence

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami

At The Mountains Of Madness - H.P.Lovecraft

Already Read:

1800's

The Yellow Wallpaper - Charlotte Perkins Gilman

Frankenstein - Mary Shelley

Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

The Purloined Letter - Edgar Allan Poe

The Pit and the Pendulum - Edgar Allan Poe

1900's

Animal Farm - George Orwell

The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams

2000's

Kafka On The Shore - Haruki Murakami

Under The Skin - Michel Faber

The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time - Mark Haddon

The Scar - China Mieville - 795 pgs

started 2010 - finished 2011

71303.jpg

Synopsis:

A human cargo bound for servitude in exile...A pirate city hauled across the oceans...A hidden miracle about be revealed...This is the story of a prisoner's journey. The search for the island of a forgotten people, for the most astonishing beast in the seas, and ultimately for a fabled place - a massive wound in reality, a source of unthinkable power and danger. From the author of Perdido Street Station, another colossal fantasy of incredible diversity and spellbinding imagination, which was acclaimed in The Times Literary Supplement as: 'An astonishing novel, guaranteed to astound and enthral the most jaded palate...exhilarating, sometimes very moving, occasionally shocking, always humane and thought-provoking'.

My random thoughts:

The second book in the New Crobuzon series/set in the world of Bas Lag and my second book read by China Mieville. After reading Perdido Street Station and being blown away with the world Mieville had created, his choice of vocabulary and impressed by the imagination used to create such a piece of work, I was totally up for reading another Mieville. When I read the synopsis for The Scar I was not too keen, I wasn't in the mood for a pirate story, I wanted to be back in New Crobuzon, the dirty, corupt city with weird and wonderful dwellers, but I began reading and was sucked into life on Armada, a floating pirate city spanning miles with all the wierd and wonderful races seen previously. All the characters were interesting but I found myself empathising with the characters in P. S. S. more than The Scar. The Scar is not a direct sequel to P. S. S. and can be read alone but having read P. S. S. first I am glad I did as there were references to New Crobuzon and the events which occured in P. S. S. prior and I feel I got more out of the read with that prior knowledge. P. S. S. also describes the different races and the history behind them which is only glossed over in The Scar. Bellis Coldwine (who fled New Crobuzon after the events in P. S. S and also has links to previous characters) is the main character in The Scar and the anti-hero, which makes her more of a realistic character in my eyes, it wasn't easy to like or dislike her as was the same of many other characters. The overall theme I took from this book was taking a look at freedom in its many forms, mixing fantasy, horror, sc-ifi and steampunk. The Scar ended up impressing me just as much as P. S. S., I didn't want it to end. Both P. S. S. and The Scar are fantastic, with The Scar being the more positive read as well as a smoother reading experience from page 1. I would have loved to read more on the journey of Armada and its inhabitants but will willingly continue on and read Iron Council which is not a direct follow but the third book in the series set in the world of Bas Lag. :)

Cabal by Clive Barker - 253-268 pgs

476010.jpg

Synopsis:

The Nightmare had begun...

Boone knew that there was no place on this earth for him now, no happiness here, not even with Lori. He would let Hell claim him, let Death take him there.

But Death itself seemed to shrink from Boone. No wonder, if he had indeed been the monster who had shattered, violated and shredded so many others' lives.

And Decker has shown him the proof - the hellish photographs where the last victims were forever stilled, splayed in the last obscene moment of their torture.

Boone's only refuge now was Midian - that awful, legendary place in which gathered the half-dead, the Nightbreed.

My random thoughts:

I loved this book, sure it is a romantic horror story on the surface but the moral issues it brings to light, Midian mirroring the homosexual community and how they were treated in the past, or some places still to this day (this book being published in the late 1980s) was interesting to read about when kept in mind. I felt an immediate connection and empathy for Lori and even though it was a short book there was enough detail for me to care about the other main characters. I enjoyed the sex scenes :wink: and the horror scenes which were quite detailed and gorey in parts, though not enough to repulse me. It was quite an emotional read in parts as well as humerous imo but overall an easy, enjoyable read which took my full attention alhough I admit a bit predictable in parts.

I wish there was a sequel. :(

I would recommend this book! :)

Not seen the film yet, may have to catch it sometime.

Hi Ooshie, I think it's highly likely he will become one of mine :) Lots more for me to read though, do you have a favourite? The first chapter of Weaveworld is in the back of the copy of Cabal I have and it definitely sounds like something I must read. I bought a copy of Galilee cheap, it sounds different to the general jist of his works but still interesting, did you like Galilee?

I did like Galilee, very much, and have read it several times. It's hard for me to pick a favourite, but I would probably go with Weaveworld, although that might just because it was my first! The one I liked least was probably Sacrament; I haven't kept it, so I can't check just why I didn't enjoy it as much, though - I will probably have to buy it and read it again now to remind me! :)

Thanks BookJumper, it's great to hear of a good film of a book I have enjoyed, I will need to look out for it. I often don't bother watching a film of something I have read in case it is awful and spoils the book for me! :)

Iron Council by China Mieville - 614 pgs

41RHXK7S0HL._SL500_.jpg

Synopsis

It is a time of revolts and revolutions, conflict and intrigue. New Crobuzon is being ripped apart from without and within. War with the shadowy city of Tesh and rioting on the streets at home are pushing the teeming metropolis to the brink. In the midst of this turmoil, a mysterious masked figure spurs strange rebellion, while treachery and violence incubate in unexpected places.

In desperation a small group of renegades escapes from the city and crosses strange and alien continents in the search for a lost hope, an undying legend. in the blood and violence of New Crobuzon's most dangerous hour, there are whispers.....

It is the time of the Iron Council.

My random thoughts:

I really enjoyed this book although I was abit apprehensive after reading other peoples reviews on goodreads which largely said it was too political to enjoy but I totally disagree, it was not overly political for me and shouldn't be for anyone aware of the world we live in and like his other bas lag books they ended too soon for my liking, I could have read much more, I didn't want it to end.

The Iron Council largely centres around the creation, travels and effects of the legendary perpetual train named the Iron Council. The story is not what I'd call linear, with three main characters Ori, Cutter and Judah Low and their stories at times being in three different places of time and space. The characters as always were complex and realistic although set in a fantastical world and the world is so richly detailed it is very easy to imagine and loose yourself within especially with the multiple races, speaking of which I loved the Stiltspear.

This is a different book than most out there, full of political intrigue, magic, sex and death; mixing fantasy, sci-fi and horror with steampunk elements. Mieville is a genius in my eyes just for coming up with the world of Bas Lag, all 3 bas lag books are definitely worth a re-read and thats my plan for the future.

Highly recommended, it went straight onto my favourite books list!

Dial M For Monkey - Adam Maxwell - 124 pgs

1443974.jpg

Synopsis:

Adam Maxwell's first collection of short stories is inventive, funny, dark, and hugely entertaining. The twenty stories included here range from a bizarre quest to find a dead rockstar's limb (Jim Morrison's Leg) to a memorable warning about the hidden dangers of building sites (the acclaimed Shooting Jelly With A Shotgun). Effortlessly fusing pop culture, gunplay, and simians, Dial M For Monkey contains a vibrant mixture of short stories - and short-short stories - most never published before. This unmissable collection represents another shot in the arm for the resurgent form of the short story. As featured in Tonto Short Stories and Dave Eggers' McSweeney's.

My random thoughts: (Reading ebook but would like to buy hard copy)

One word to sum up each story:

1. Happiness is a Warm Gun - Unfortunate

2. Shooting Jelly With a Shotgun - Painful

3. Jim Morrison's Leg - Revengeful

4. I Almost Spanked A Monkey - Mysterious

5. The Holy Face of Gary Barlow - Odd

6. The Beginning - Desperation

7. Sherry For Breakfast - Open

8. Sprouts - Paranoia

9. Ruldolph Redux - Hilarious

10. Special K and the Yorkshire Terrier - Rebellious

11. A Stroll Along The Prom Prom Prom - Twisted

12. Sandwiches -

13. Self Assembly - Fatal

14. Is That To Go? - Stubborn

15. It Happens -

16. To Let: Ground Floor Flat -

17. The Dangers of eBay -

18. The Things We Said Today -

19. Noise Abatement -

20. The Cock Ain't Gonna Like That -

• 3 weeks later...

The Hellbound Heart - Clive Barker - 128 pgs

1011633.jpg

Synopsis:

THE DOORWAY TO ULTIMATE PLEASURE

At last he had solved the puzzle of Lemarchand's box. He was standing of a threshold of a new world of heightened sensations.

In moments the Cenobites - who has dedicated an eternity to the pursuit of sensuality - would be here. They would reveal dark secrets that would transform him for ever.

But with the exquisite pleasure would come pain beyond imagining. To escape his hideous tormentors and return to this world, he would need the help of his brother's wife Julia, the woman who loved him. But most of all he would need blood.

My random thoughts:

I have been meaning to read this book for so long and in that regard I think my expectations were high. Yes it is quite graphic and gorey and Barker writes in such a cinematic way, I can totally understand why a film was inspired from this book in particular as it is so visual but I wasn't as repulsed as I expected to be, although I know if I saw anything of the sort in real life I would be disgusted. Overall a very enjoyable, fast paced, short read. I'm glad I've finally go round to reading it although I admit I was expecting a little more. I love Barker's ability to make a horror/ dark fantasy believable and his characters are always (so far in my experience) crafted in a way that makes sympathizing an easy task. I do prefer Cabal over The Hellbound Heart.

• 3 months later...

China Mieville - Kraken - 481 pgs

7278057.jpg

Synopsis:

Deep in the research wing of the Natural History Museum is a prize specimen, something that comes along much less often than once in a lifetime: a perfect, and perfectly preserved, giant squid. But what does it mean when the creature suddenly and impossibly disappears?

For curator Billy Harrow it's the start of a headlong pitch into a London of warring cults, surreal magic, apostates and assassins. It might just be that the creature he's been preserving is more than a biological rarity: there are those who are sure it's a god.

A god that someone is hoping will end the world.

My random thoughts:

Packed with fantastic ideas and thought-provoking elements. There were moments I wanted more description (I felt the same reading perdido street station) and wondered where the story was heading but I am in awe of Mieville's imagination, I love it, he makes me want more from him. His style of writing with new or unused words is always refreshing and challenging which I totally enjoy.

Loved the idea of Wati's character, Collingswood's chavy style did irritate me at times although I enjoyed her witty remarks. I liked the character of Marge, she felt like me as a reader, delving into the unknown, more so than Billy. Even the 'bad guys' were brilliant, Goss & Subby and Tattoo brought horrific but great imagery. I will definitely need to re-read this book, it is jam-packed with imaginative scenes, many paralleling problems in our society.

Random comment: The kraken cult's location beneath the church always reminded me of Midian and the Nightbreed in Cabal by Clive Barker.

As much as I enjoyed it, I do prefer the bas lag books but overall I would recommend it, it is the most humorous book of Mieville's I have read so far with many references to British pop culture. This book won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it is definitely worth a look to see if it is!

I was personally hooked as soon as the natural history museum was mentioned, although only really used as a locale at the beginning and the end of the book. :)

H. G. Wells - The Island of Dr Moreau - 176 pgs

341272.jpg

Synopsis:

Adrift in a dinghy, Edward Prendick, the single survivor from the good ship Lady Vain, is rescued by a vessel carrying a profoundly unusual cargo – a menagerie of savage animals. Tended to recovery by their keeper Montgomery, who gives him dark medicine that tastes of blood, Prendick soon finds himself stranded upon an uncharted island in the Pacific with his rescuer and the beasts. Here, he meets Montgomery’s master, the sinister Dr. Moreau – a brilliant scientist whose notorious experiments in vivisection have caused him to abandon the civilised world. It soon becomes clear he has been developing these experiments – with truly horrific results.

My random thoughts:

Enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone but especially any biology students or people that work with animals. I was prepared to give this book a definite 4 stars but the final chapter 'The man alone' really touched me as did 'Doctor Moreau explains' so for those two chapters I give this book 5 stars.

As the back of the book states 'A parable on Darwinian theory......a fascinating exploration of what it is to be human' that it sure is. A very thought provoking book which hopefully encourages every reader to look at other animals as our cousins not unreasonable beasts and to take a hard look at our power over other species.

First published over 100 years ago in 1896 and still, maybe even more, relevant today, a total classic, I wish I'd read this sooner. Seeing as the story itself is barely over 100 pages, everyone should read this!

Hey there fellow book lovers,

As some of you may know I signed up to take part in the 'UK Three Peaks Challenge' in September, which is to climb the 3 highest peaks in the UK in 24 hours, that includes climbing and travelling to locations. The first peak to climb is Ben Nevis is Scotland, then onto Scafel Pike in England (climbing in the dark!) and finally Snowdon in Wales. I am very excited but also nervous about this task and would appreciate any support you are willing to provide whether that be a donation/sponsor money or tips from people who have tackled these peaks before singularly or in 24 hours.

I have signed up to do this for my own personal goal as well as in order to raise money for the charity Mind. Mind is such an important charity, it affects us all, we all know people suffering from mental distress whether that be a family member, friend or even yourself. Mind is there to care, educate and encourage good mental health. I personally know of many people affected by mental health problems, short term and long term but I am doing this challenge in memory of my Uncle John who took his own life in 2008. I believe Mind is a much needed charity as mental health is still such an taboo subject, they need all the help they can get in order to help us in return.

Anyone that would like to know more about Mind here is the

'[/url]

So I ask all the generous souls out there to help me raise £500 for Mind, £400 needs to be raised by the 1st of July. Pennies or pounds, whatever you can afford, it all makes a difference and thank you for taking the time to read this.

Sponsor me online by going to

If anyone would like to sponsor me but is not a fan of using an online system they may contact me for my address.

People not a resident of the UK may also sponsor me, their donation will just be processed in GBP.

I would like to also say a big thank you to Michelle and Roland Butter who have both kindly sponsored me already, much appreciated! :)