Have you ever found anything inside a book?

Janet

I've bought quite a lot of second-hand books and have found various 'bookmarks' in them including a postcard with a George VI (I think) stamp on it and a small clump of shamrock.

I always flick through my library books as I return them and one of our librarians told me that one of his colleagues had found a rasher of bacon in a book that someone had been using as a bookmark!

I got a letter a few years ago, containing the bank statement I had used as a bookmark when I returned it to the library! Person gave no details, just said "You left this in a book I just borrowed. Best wishes."

I am looking at a sales receipt for the massive book, The Raj Quartet, that fell from said book , recently.

W.Hartley Seed, book vendors, of West Street, Sheffield, sold said tome brand new on 26.11.1984, at 12.32pm.

Edited by itsmeagain

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought we had a thread like this, but I've searched to no avail!Anyway, I often buy books second-hand. Today, I pulled As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning by Laurie Lee to read next, and out fell a red paper heart with the word 'Mum' written on one outside half. Inside it reads...

Hi Mum,I just wanted to say 'how did you doin darts?'One more thing thanksfor everything and I just wanted to say I love youtell dad I love him too!Love KatherinexxxxP.S Good night!

Awwwwww!I've found a few bookmarks before (including quite an old one from Penguin books) but never anything personal like that. It made me think about Katherine and wonder what she's like (and how old she is, when it was written...).Have you ever found anything like this inside a book?ETA: foundinbook.jpg
That's so sweet!!

Little does Katherine know her sweet message is on a book forum now!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The severed paw of a monkey.  Things that I wanted started to happen after that, but in the most twisted and perverse ways possible . . .

Hmm...that's a plot from something, isn't it? Was it a Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode (in which case, probably copied from something else)?

Yes. This old book I just borrowed from the library!

It's called Ship of Theseus by V.M. Straka.

It has a ton of papers in it; written letters, postcards, a sheet of paper that says "Confidential", a map drawn on a napkin, and there's a bunch of writing in the margins of the book, written in different shades of ink.

Interesting! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking through a book in the charity shop and found a cheque for £70. Not blank unfortunately... also 12 years old :blush2: . The staff were a bit bemused :giggle2:

Amazing what people leave in books isn't it? I once found a card with details of Erotic chat, an email raunchy writing group. Needless to say I didn't bother..hahahahahahaha

• 1 month later...

As I have bought a lot of my books from Charity Shops over the years,

I have found a few 'interesting' things inside some of them. A Five pound

note once, a pound note (remember those?) an envelope with a stamp

and a written address,unused,and containing no letter. Bus tickets by

the score, presumably used as bookmarks,and once, a pressed flower.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've found rail tickets, old postcards, folded Post-It notes.  Nothing unique.

From time to time I find scribbles from the previous owner.  A secondhand Agatha Christie novel I recently bought had a page at the back showing the titles of many of her previous novels.  The last owner had carefully ticked off all those they had read, and underlined others.

I bought a secondhand copy of Jean Genet's 'Querelle' many years ago, where a vast number of the sentences had been underlined and asterisked.  I found it to be a little distracting!