Have you ever found anything inside a book?

Janet

I thought we had a thread like this, but I've searched to no avail!

Anyway, I often buy books second-hand. Today, I pulled As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning by Laurie Lee to read next, and out fell a red paper heart with the word 'Mum' written on one outside half. Inside it reads...

Hi Mum,

I just wanted to say 'how did you do

in darts?'

One more thing thanks

for everything and I

just wanted to say I love you

tell dad I love him too!

Love Katherine

xxxx

P.S Good night!

Awwwwww!

I've found a few bookmarks before (including quite an old one from Penguin books) but never anything personal like that. It made me think about Katherine and wonder what she's like (and how old she is, when it was written...).

Have you ever found anything like this inside a book?

ETA: foundinbook.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've bought quite a lot of second-hand books and have found various 'bookmarks' in them including a postcard with a George VI (I think) stamp on it and a small clump of shamrock.

I always flick through my library books as I return them and one of our librarians told me that one of his colleagues had found a rasher of bacon in a book that someone had been using as a bookmark!

Edited by Ophelia

Oh that's so lovely it made me feel all weepy :blush:

I never found anything as nice as that in a book but I do like it when people have written a little message on the inside cover to whoever they've given the book too, it's like a little piece of the books journey.

I thought you meant food :lol:

Hmm, well there's always a lot of notes in library books. Other than food particles of course...

There was this one Paulo Coelho book I got from the library, and someone made notes on every page, underlining sentences, and writing (mostly) questions like ''Why?'', ''What does he mean??'', ''This is so ridiculous!?!?'' '' What a load of...'' and it kept annoying me throughout the book :rolleyes:

I tried to ignore it but - I have eyes! It just kept popping in front of my eyes...

Other than that, just the usual notes: X&Y <3 4ever, ''I'm dying here'', lyrics etc.

I haven't ever found money or anything other than notes, though :D

I got a shopping list once (and a boring one at that)... that's been about it :( I'm jealous. What an interesting find, Janet. And, Ophelia, I can't believe anyone would use a rasher of bacon. Was there grease all over the pages? How vulgar!

I've found loads of stuff and I always keep what I find, I kind of collect them now. I've found people's pictures, a few letters, someone's test scores for understanding spoken English (I believe he'd written 'Oh ****'... next to the score, eventhough he hadn't done that bad, maybe he's a perfectionist?) and even a coin. Sadly the coin was the smallest coin and not even a currently valid currency :D

Edited by frankie

I thought you meant food :lol:

Hmm, well there's always a lot of notes in library books. Other than food particles of course...

There was this one Paulo Coelho book I got from the library, and someone made notes on every page, underlining sentences, and writing (mostly) questions like ''Why?'', ''What does he mean??'', ''This is so ridiculous!?!?'' '' What a load of...'' and it kept annoying me throughout the book :rolleyes:

I tried to ignore it but - I have eyes! It just kept popping in front of my eyes...

Other than that, just the usual notes: X&Y <3 4ever, ''I'm dying here'', lyrics etc.

I haven't ever found money or anything other than notes, though :D

This is one of my biggest bugbears. People writing notes in books - ESP library books. It's the height of arrogance and very bad manners. My local library have now introduced a system where they quickly scan returned books and if they find notes written inside, they now charge a small fine!

Regarding finding stuff inside, I once bought an old hardback from a second hand bookshop and found a beautiful old postcard - circa 1930 - inside from Torquay saying "having a lovely time, wish you were here! from Dotty and Caroline." :D

Recently I found £100 :)

However, it was one of my books and it was my £100. I had put it there a few months earlier for safe keeping, then forgot all about it. Made me want to go and check all my other books :readingtwo::doh:

lol what is with people storing money in books? This is leading me to believe that librarians rake in a lot more money than I once thought. :readingtwo::D

I found a lovely hologram-bookmark with a wolf on it, a photo of a kid pasted on a "don't do drugs" book mark, a photo from what I assume to be a wildlife reserve with some stone carving of a stag on it and in one book, two people had exchanged notes that went something like

"I love you"

"IF you liked me you wouldn't treat me this way"

"But I care"

"Then why did you hurt me?"

"I want to be with you."

"Learn how to treat a lady first."

All written in pencil and in different handwriting so it leads me to think that some couple were exchanging notes in this unique fashion. I'd have damned them to hell for writing in a book though.

hmm I've also found many names inside books, of the previous owners, or notes when the book were gifted (sad that they give them away after someone took pains to write "merry christmas dear XXX" in a book. I could write a story about all of this. :')

I always flick through my library books as I return them and one of our librarians told me that one of his colleagues had found a rasher of bacon in a book that someone had been using as a bookmark!

I know you might find this impossible to believe, but I was chatting with a friend on another (non-book) forum about libraries, as she is a librarian, and she posted this...

We get a lot of bookmarks. But the best was a slice of bacon still between the pages.

:huh: She works in a library in Cheshire. Either it's the same event, or there is a secret Bacon-Bookmark cult that we don't know of!

• 3 weeks later...

Other than crums of bread or cookies and what appears to be tomatoe sauce (I hope), book marks (however, never very nice ones), notes (with name of other books to read, one note calling some teacher bad names, a note with just a name), once a picture, a news paper article. The notes, book marks and picture were only in library books, so I put them back in those books. You never know if somone realises it's still in the already returned library book and needs it back. However, in used books I buy, I always take these items out. I don't buy new books very often.

Recently I found £100 :)

However, it was one of my books and it was my £100. I had put it there a few months earlier for safe keeping, then forgot all about it. Made me want to go and check all my other books :readingtwo::doh:

Hi everyone! I'm new here. This made me chuckle as I've told my children, after my demise, to open each book, turn it upside down and let fall out what may. They will be wealthy I'm sure as I've forgotten where and how much I have hidden!

I found a feather in a book the other day. The book in question was nothing special, and didn't look at all well-thumbed, so I can only assume that whoever placed it in there simply thought it was a pretty one and worth keeping, rather than using it as a novelty bookmark. Made me smile though :)

• 8 months later...

Hi all

I think the bacon bookmark certainly has all the other ones beat .

It bugs me if I get a book that smells like smoke -- if people smoke when they read, it just kinda sinks into the pages .

I also cannot stand weird stains on books, because you always wonder what they are and try not to touch them . (YEK)

Edited by julie