Are Spiritual Books Changing The World?

apollopoetry

I've noticed lots of mainstream celebrities talking about spiritual and inspirational books.

Do you guys think that 'The Secret', "The Alchemist' & "The celestine prophecy' have made a larger impact on society?

I've read a lot that have personally inspired me, and I'm so glad to see how many millions are starting to use literature as a path to inspiration and spiritual development.

The newest one I keep hearing about is called "The Yes After Yesterday : [link removed] " . Just saw the trailer and it looks like it's going to be the next big thing in this department.

But, what are your thoughts on all the books mentioned above?

Can't comment on the Alchemist as I haven't read it - as for the other two, there is nothing new in the Secret, although I am sure it changed lives, same with The Celestine Prophecy - it was groundbreaking in its time, but to me at least it now old hat.

The books that most changed my life are A Course in Miracles, the Conversations with God books and the works of Eckhart Tolle. Books can help, but for me at least there comes a point where you need to stop reading about it and actually live it.

I've noticed lots of mainstream celebrities talking about spiritual and inspirational books.

Do you guys think that 'The Secret', "The Alchemist' & "The celestine prophecy' have made a larger impact on society?

I've read a lot that have personally inspired me, and I'm so glad to see how many millions are starting to use literature as a path to inspiration and spiritual development.

The newest one I keep hearing about is called "The Yes After Yesterday : [link removed] " . Just saw the trailer and it looks like it's going to be the next big thing in this department.

Books such as The Alchemist, Conversations with God and yes, The Secret have all served to increase my curiousity of all things spiritual.

I just searched the for the book you mentioned. It doesnt appear to be available yet, but the trailer is incredibly powerful and very moving. If the book captures even a quarter of that, it will be the next big thing.

I also agree with Talisman about living it. Wisdom equals knowledge applied to action.

Thanks for encouaging this dialogue. I'm reserving my copy now.

I saw that trailer the other day, it was sent to me by a friend on You Tube. It's funny that I would stumble upon this conversation here, small world I guess :D . I tend to like inspirational books like these. I haven't read "The Alchemist" quite yet but it's on my list! Of course these books have a large impact on society! My life would be in shambles if it weren't for the books I've read. If they helped me they definitely have the power to help others.

• 7 months later...

I have read the Secret and the Alchemist, and would definitely look up for the other books you mentioned. The Secret triggered this question, what if two people want the same thing, would it go to the one that wants it more? Lottery for instance! When we desire what we want, are we desiring what we are supposed to have, or we are changing the events just to serve our wants?! Personally I think it is to help you more to realize what is your real goal at life and what you are supposed to have more than achieving your unlimited wants!!! Just an opinion… but certainly it gives you a new perspective in looking at life….

The Alchemist, I like the simplicity and the idea of omens which contradicts The law of Attraction in the Secret to some degree. But the question which I also raised on my recent book, if you believe in Omens then you believe in God, and if you believe in God you must also believe in Devil, but could some of these omens be the creation of devil then. But I like the simplicity in the way the story is told, and coming from the Middle East I loved the Egyptian part of it, and how Christians see Moslems as infidels and vice versa.

If anyone has ever looked at my reading list (this year in particular) you will see that I've read a lot of these type of books this year. I've always read them, but this year I'm reading more than usual. I've read "The Secret" and "The Power" (same author) didn't read the Alchemest though.

I think these books are helpful, but people who read them need to invest in reading more than one or two and put it into practice and utilize patience. Like "The Secret" glosses over the law. It is a law but people need to learn how to use it correctly and one book is not going to teach you that.

Over the years I've read lots of Chopra, Dyer, Williamson, Virtue, Allen....etc.

I checked out the The Yes After Yesterday site. Sounds interesting, I've not heard of it, thanks for the heads up.

I think these books are helpful, but people who read them need to invest in reading more than one or two and put it into practice and utilize patience. Like "The Secret" glosses over the law. It is a law but people need to learn how to use it correctly and one book is not going to teach you that.

I completely agree - too many poeple are looking for a quick fix and are unwilling to put in the work. I used to read a lot of these type of books too, but I have moved beyond the need for them (for the most part) now, as like I said previously there comes a time when you have to start living it. I still read the occasional spiritual book as we all need occasional reminders, but I find it more useful to talk with like minded friends with whom I can share experiences.

• 2 months later...

The thing I don't get is how can you call a book "the secret" when in fact there are 1000's if not millions of copies all over the world. It's not a very good secret in my opinion.

seriously, I have not read it for this very reason.

Edited by infinity

• 1 month later...

I don't think its a new or big thing in literature. It is man's avenue in his search for meaning and purpose in life. As man gets "partially enlightened" that there's these things about spirits, soul, energy, power that is in him, he starts writing books and also englightening readers. But all of them are just eye opening in my opinion, to have your eyes stayed open is another stage for this insatiable appetite for meaning. These books are both easy and hard to read. dense and unfathomable. shallow and deep. It will depend on the stage of your desire for meaning.