~Weave's World of Books 2011~

Weave

Dark Matter ~ A Ghost Story by Michelle Paver ~ Started: 15.09.11 ~ Finished: 20.09.11

4-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

'What is it? What does it want? Why is it angry with me?'

January 1937 Clouds of war are gathering over a fogbound London. Twenty-eight year old Jack is poor, lonely and desperate to change his life. So when he's offered the chance to be the wireless operator on an Arctic expedition, he jumps at it. Spirits are high as the ship leaves Norway: five men and eight huskies, crossing the Barents Sea by the light of the midnight sun. At last they reach the remote, uninhabited bay where they will camp for the next year. Gruhuken. But the Arctic summer is brief. As night returns to claim the land, Jack feels a creeping unease. One by one, his companions are forced to leave. He faces a stark choice. Stay or go. Soon he will see the last of the sun, as the polar night engulfs the camp in months of darkness. Soon he will reach the point of no return - when the sea will freeze, making escape impossible. And Gruhuken is not uninhabited. Jack is not alone. Something walks there in the dark.

The Story ~

'Dark Matter' is the story of Jack Miller, twenty~right years old, alone and living in London. His life changes when he is offered the chance to be the wireless operator on a Arctic Expedition with four other men, Algernon 'Algie' Carlisle, Hugo Charteris-Black, Teddy Wintringham and Augustus 'Gus' Balfour, all four men are university graduates, whilst Jack got his degree at University College London, he sees himself as lower class compared to the others and its shows, he had hoped to study to become a physicist but due to lack of money he was unable to and took a job as a export clerk, now he has an opportunity for a new start.

Gus begins the meeting by telling Jack what their plan of action is, the expedition is to study High Arctic biology, geology and ice dynamics and completing a meteorological survey, sending data to the Government forecasting system, their destination is Gruhuken (which is the part of archipelago of Spitsbergen, the new name being 'Svalbard but its still called Spitsbergen) and they will stay there for a year. Jack initially does not want to go, his ideas of of being lower class stopping him but he changes his mind and decides to take a chance.

The four men (Teddy's father passes away and he cannot go on the expedition) begin their journey on the ship Isbjorn with the skipper, Eriksson and it is uneventful until Hugo has an accident and breaks his leg and they return to land for medical assistance, then Eriksson tells the men that he will not go directly to Gruhuken and will not give a reason, eventually Jack talks Eriksson around but the man refuses to tell his reasons why he wants avoids Gruhuken, they arrive safely and begin to build their camp, then Jack sees a dark figure, a dark figure that he only sees, who else is on Gruhuken?

What I thought of 'Dark Matter ~ A Ghost Story' ~

I do love a good ghost story and 'Dark Matter' is definitely that, its set in the Arctic, you can practically feel the cold and the isolation around the camp, everything starts off normal with Jack, Algie and Gus accepting life on Gruhuken but then strange things begin to happen, Jack has the feeling he is being watched and does not want to tell Algie and Gus, as the story progresses the feeling of an presence grows, you cannot see it but you can feel it, as does Jack, he is not sure if its a real feeling or its cabin fever, he is in turmoil and is determined to prove himself by continuing to work as the situation worsens. I enjoyed 'Ghost Matter' and it is very creepy, you may find yourself becoming steadily frustrated by Jack, I did, my thoughts were 'you've done all you can, get out!'.

A ghost stories with atmosphere and the beauty of the Arctic ~ enjoy.

Rating ~ 9/10

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Covet: A Novel of the Fallen Angels ~ Book 1 by J.R. Ward ~ Started: 22.09.11 ~ Finished: 25.09.11

5-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

Redemption isn't a word Jim Heron knows much about - his speciality is revenge and, to him, sin is all relative. But everything changes when he becomes a fallen angel and is charged with saving the souls of seven people from the seven deadly sins. And failure is not an option. Vin Di Pietro long ago gave himself up to his business - until fate intervenes in the form of a tough-talking, Harley-riding, self-professed saviour, and a woman who makes him question his destiny. With an ancient evil ready to claim him, Vin has to work with a fallen angel not only to win his beloved over...but to redeem his very soul.

The Story ~

Jim Heron, ex~special ops and now hiding from his past has a new destiny, he is a fallen angel. Following a near death experience, Jim is returned to fight against evil, the reason he was chosen is because Jim will always be part of both sides, he has seen good and evil, and has chosen the right path and now he helps chosen individuals, who are all part of the game between heaven and hell, and there can only be one winner. Jim is your average Joe with an extraordinary past and he uses his past to help Vin Di Pietro, business man to chose the right woman, Marie Therese, who is running from an abusive past or Devina, who is definitely not what she seems. With Jim are fallen angels, Adrian and Eddie, who help Jim whilst training to be an angel, will Vin take the right path?

What I thought of 'Covet' ~

'Covet' is a great start to the series, there is plenty of excitement, twists and turns, and as always with J.R. Ward it is very easy to connect to the characters, you share their emotions especially Jim, you want him to succeed.

The only downside and its a little downside, at times the story was a bit slow but it was still enjoyable.

Another great series by J.R. Ward.

Rating ~ 6/10

Crave: A Novel of the Fallen Angels ~ Book 2 by J.R. Ward ~ Started: 25.09.11 ~ Finished: 01.10.11

6-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

The battle between good and evil has left the future of humanity in the hands of a reluctant saviour and his band of fallen angels. Seven deadly sins that must be righted. Seven souls that must be saved. Fallen Angel Jim Heron has completed his first task: helping Vin Di Pietro to redeem his soul. Now he must identify and battle a demon that can take any form. Worse still, his old boss Matthias wants him to assassinate Isaac, a member of The Firm who's gone AWOL - and Jim's pretty sure he's supposed to save him. But before Jim can get to Isaac to warn him, Isaac's picked up by the police for illegal street fighting. It's soon clear that he is falling for his gorgeous public defender - will their love redeem his soul? Or has the demon Devina, who's determined to see Jim fail, set an elaborate trap?

The Story ~

Following on from 'Crave', Jim Heron, fallen angel has his next assignment, to help Issac, a man Jim knows from his special~ops days. Issac has went AWOL, just as Jim did and the only people that Issac can trust are Jim and his lawyer, Grier, who he is beginning to have feelings for. Issac and Jim's former boss, Matthias is also after them both, along with Devina, who is connected to Matthias. Isaac’s time is running out, will he succumb to Devina? or die at the hands of Matthias?

What I thought of 'Crave' ~

The best part of a second book in a series is the fact that the characters have been established, so you go straight into the story. This time around Jim is struggling against various foes whilst trying to help Isaac down the right path. The story is well written and enthrals you from the start to the very end. Fast paced with loads of twists and turns.

Rating ~ 10/10

Envy: A Novel of the Fallen Angels ~ Book 3 by J.R. Ward ~ Started: 01.10.11~ Finished: 07.10.11

7-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

Seven deadly sins. Seven souls to save. And a man and a woman treading the lines of danger, desire and deliverance ...As the son of a serial killer, homicide detective Thomas 'Veck' DelVecchio, Jr, grew up in the shadow of evil. Now, on the knife-edge between civic duty and blind retribution, he atones for the sins of his father - while fighting his inner demons. Assigned to monitor Veck is Internal Affairs officer Sophia Reilly, whose interest in him is both professional and arousingly personal. And Veck and Sophia have another link: Jim Heron, a mysterious stranger with too many answers ...to questions that are deadly. When Veck and Sophia are drawn into the ultimate battle between good and evil, their fallen angel saviour is the only thing that stands between them and eternal damnation.

The Story ~

Jim Heron, fallen angel is back and this time he is helping Thomas 'Veck' DelVecchio, homicide detective and son of serial killer, a legacy which Veck fears he will carry. Veck is teamed up with Internal Affairs, Sophia Reilly to hunt for a serial killer, who reminds Veck of his father. Along with Jim Heron, Adrian and Eddie they must discover what happened to the victims and for Jim, he must find the body of one of the victims, a victim of Devina and help her get to heaven. Veck's path is laid out in front of him, will chose to be like his father? Or face his demons and be the good man he is.

What I thought of 'Envy' ~

'Envy' is my favourite of the series, the storyline was excellent and yet again, J.R. Ward takes you through a range of emotions from the beginning to the ending of the story. Jim and Veck are both struggling and it draws them together to ultimately fight against Devina which made for excellent reading.

I cannot wait for the next book in the series.

Rating ~ 10/10

Zero.four by Mike Lancaster ~ Started: 07.10.11 ~ Finished: 07.10.11

8-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

It's a brave new world. 'My name is Kyle Straker. And I don't exist anymore.' So begins the story of Kyle Straker, recorded on to old audio tapes. You might think these tapes are a hoax. But perhaps they contain the history of a past world...If what the tapes say are true, it means that everything we think we know is a lie. And if everything we know is a lie does that mean that we are, too?

The Story ~

What would you do if you woke up and discovered the world as you knew it has changed? You still have your families and friends, familiar surroundings but they are different, they do not look at you, they slowly begin to forget you. This is what happens to 15 years old Kyle Straker, whose legacy is a collection of audio cassettes found under the stairs of a old house, his message to the future.

The book is told from the transcripts from the audio cassettes with added notes from the author about what Kyle means or the observations which Kyle makes, which may not make sense to future readers. Kyle's story begins with the annual talent show, every year the same acts enter but this year there is a noticeable difference, Kyle's friend, Daniel has a new act, hypnotism and Kyle volunteers to be part of the act, what begins as fun descends into despair as Kyle and other volunteers realise that everything has changed. Kyle is part of the old world and he must decide whether he wants to join the new world.

What I thought of 'O.4' ~

'0.4' is a different take on the sci~fi genre and I liked the story and the detached feelings of reading from a voice on a cassette are shown well. The author of the book despite being from a different time from Kyle is sympathetic and highlights Kyle's plight to return to normalcy.

0.4 is a quick, enjoyable read which may or may not leave a lasting effect, it didn't for me unfortunately, I found it hard to make a connection to Kyle (because of the transcripts) but I will read the sequel 'Human.4' at some point.

Rating ~ 5/10

Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception by Maggie Stiefvater ~ Started: 07.10.11 ~ Finished: 10.10.11

9-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

Deirdre, a gifted musician, finds herself infatuated with Luke, a mysterious boy who enters her life, at the same time she discovers she's a Cloverhand, one who can see faeries. Trouble is, Luke is a faerie assassin-and Deirdre is meant to be his next mark.

The Story ~

'Lament' is the story of sixteen Deirdre 'Dee' Monaghan, a talented musician with a bright future ahead of her, a life she is not sure she wants because it has been planned so meticulously by her parents. Dee's organised life changes when she meets the mysterious Luke, who Dee recognises him from a dream she had. Luke helps Dee to realise how much potential she has as a musician and the fact that she is a Cloverhand, she can see faeries. Dee discovers that faeries have been part of her family's life before she is born when her Grandmother takes an instant dislike to Luke, more family secrets come to light and Dee finds herself questioning everything around her and discovered more about Luke, she does not want to believe it but finds she is the only person who can help him.

What I thought of 'Lament' ~

'Lament' is another great read by Maggie Stiefvater, there is a gorgeous Gothic feel to it. The characters are well written but I found myself leaning more towards James rather than Dee and Luke, who were both good characters in their own way but I just preferred James as a character.

The ending was very unexpected but it was written well.

Rating ~ 6/10

Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie by Maggie Stiefvater ~ Started: 10.10.11 ~ Finished: 12.10.11

10-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

In this sequel to Lament, faeries follow James and Dee to Thornking-Ash boarding school, where James struggles with his feelings for Dee and for a dangerous faerie muse called Nuala. When Halloween plunges both Dee and Nuala into danger, James finds he can only save one. Another creepy, beautiful fantasy set in the vicious world of faerie.

The Story ~

Following on from the events of 'Lament', James, best friend of Dee, is now attending Thornking-Ash board school for the musically gifted with Dee. James finds it difficult at school, he is fitting in well and is making friends but the events of the previous summer are still with him. However, his life changes when he meets Nuala, a fairy, a dangerous one, who give anyone what they want but it comes at a price and if James says yes, he will be one of a long line of people lost to Nuala. James says no and as the story progresses, he and Nuala relationship changes, as does the relationship between James and Dee. As Halloween approaches, there is danger ahead for them all and they must be ready to face it.

What I thought of 'Ballad' ~

I enjoyed 'Ballad' more than 'Lament' because it was more focused on James, who is a great character along with Nuala, who's sarcastic wit and humour made for some funny moments. Dee is different in 'Ballad' compared to 'Lament' and you feel bad for her and by the end of the book, you want her to be happy and safe, along with the rest of the characters. A lovely, and again Gothic read which packs a punch.

Rating ~ 8/10

Edited by Weave

Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception by Maggie Stiefvater ~ Started: 07.10.11 ~ Finished: 10.10.11

9-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

Deirdre, a gifted musician, finds herself infatuated with Luke, a mysterious boy who enters her life, at the same time she discovers she's a Cloverhand, one who can see faeries. Trouble is, Luke is a faerie assassin-and Deirdre is meant to be his next mark.

The Story ~

'Lament' is the story of sixteen Deirdre 'Dee' Monaghan, a talented musician with a bright future ahead of her, a life she is not sure she wants because it has been planned so meticulously by her parents. Dee's organised life changes when she meets the mysterious Luke, who Dee recognises him from a dream she had. Luke helps Dee to realise how much potential she has as a musician and the fact that she is a Cloverhand, she can see faeries. Dee discovers that faeries have been part of her family's life before she is born when her Grandmother takes an instant dislike to Luke, more family secrets come to light and Dee finds herself questioning everything around her and discovered more about Luke, she does not want to believe it but finds she is the only person who can help him.

What I thought of 'Lament' ~

'Lament' is another great read by Maggie Stiefvater, there is a gorgeous Gothic feel to it. The characters are well written but I found myself leaning more towards James rather than Dee and Luke, who were both good characters in their own way but I just preferred James as a character.

The ending was very unexpected but it was written well.

Rating ~ 6/10

Oh dear!! thanks for that another one for my wish list :readingtwo:

The Easter Parade by Richard Yates ~ Started: 13.10.11 ~ Finished: 15.10.11

11-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

Even as little girls, Sarah and Emily are very different from each other. Emily looks up to her sensible older sister and is jealous of her relationship with their absent father, and later her seemingly golden marriage. The path she chooses for herself is less safe and conventional and her love affairs never really satisfy her. Although the bond between them endures, gradually the distance between the two women grows, until a tragic event throws their relationship into focus one last time.

The Story ~

"Neither of the Grimes sisters would have a happy life, and looking back it always seemed that the trouble began with their parents’ divorce."

And so begins the story of the Grimes sisters, Sarah and Emily spanning 40 years, the story begins shortly after their parents have divorced and now they move from place to place with their mother, who insists they call her 'Pookie'.

Sarah and Emily are very different, Sarah is more outgoing, prettier and self confident, while Emily is more quieter, does not see herself as pretty and not really sure of her place in her world.

As they get older, Sarah marries a Englishman called Tony Wilson, Emily is envious of their perfect marriage, while she has many relationships with different men who all seem to treat her in the same way which Emily quietly accepts by saying 'Its fine'. Emily goes to college, while Sarah raises a family, Emily builds a successful career while Sarah tries different things but faces numerous hurdles, her husband being one of them.

The sisters both experience loss and lose touch but always reunite during times of loss and support each other as much as they can but Emily always seems to hold back, scared to take the next step. Two very different sisters with a sad story.

What I thought of 'The Easter Parade' ~

This is the first book I have read by Richard Yates and it was a well written book. Richard Yates writes characters brilliantly and without sounding too sexist, it was hard to believe a man had written the book because the dialogue between the sisters is so realistic.

The book is very sad and told in a very straightforward manner, Sarah, the eldest sister grows up and gets married, she loses her confidence and produces her 'happy face' to hide what is happening within her marriage which Emily does not see until its effects are right in front of her face. Sarah has a co~dependent relationship with her husband, you, as the reader knows that Sarah must get away from him but she cannot leave him because they depend on each other and Sarah, despite the difficulties in her marriage, believes in her marriage.

Emily has various relationships and one marriage and all the relationships end the same way with Emily realising she does not love them while up to the point of realisation, the men treat her badly, use her because she gives so much and expects so little, which is a pity because Emily is worth more than she realises, she sees herself as a happy, independent individual but she is hiding the fact that all she really wants is someone to love her for her.

An interesting and insightful read. I will definitely be reading more books by Richard Yates.

Rating ~ 8/10

Edited by Weave

Hi Paula enjoyed your review of Dark Matter. I like anything to do with Norway so I will have to read this one! Thanks

You are very welcome VF, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, it was one of those books that I kept saying to myself 'I have to pick that up', and then I saw it in Waterstones and I had points on my Waterstones card so I used them well. :)

Edited by Weave

• 2 weeks later...

Cloudstreet by Tim Winton ~ Started: 15.10.11 ~ Finished: 22.10.11

12-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

Cloudstreet – a broken-down house of former glories on the wrong side of the tracks, a place teeming with memories of its own, a place of shudders and shadows and spirits.

From separate catastrophes, two families flee to the city and find themselves sharing this great sighing structure and beginning their lives again from scratch. Together they roister and rankle in a house that begins as a roof over their heads and becomes a home for their hearts.

In this fresh, funny novel, full of wonder and dreams, Tim Winton weaves the threads of lifetimes, of twenty years of shouting and fighting, laughing and grafting, into a story about acceptance and belonging.

The Story ~

'Cloudstreet' is the story of the families Lamb and Pickles, two families recovering from catastrophes in their lives, the Lambs have lost their farm and their son, Fish has tragically never recovered from an accident he had, while the Pickles have no home after their Dad, Sam lost all his money gambling and then tragically lost four fingers on his right hand in a boating accident. The families are very different from each other, the Lambs are hard-working and industrious, while Sam Pickles live by the 'shifty shadow' of luck, which frustrates his family immensely. The families find themselves thrown together when the Pickles inherit a large, sprawling, in desperate of repair house from Sam's cousin, a house with history and ghosts of its own ~ Number One, Cloud Street. Sam eventually rents half of the house to the Lambs and their stories begin.

What I thought of 'Cloudstreet' ~

I read 'Cloudstreet' about five years ago and I enjoyed it much more the second time around. There is something special about the story, the characters and lives are brilliantly written and the way they all connect to each other makes for great reading.

My favourite character was 'Fish' (his real name is Samson), his nickname was 'Samsonfish' and was eventually shortened down to 'Fish', what a delight he was to read, he was seen in so many different ways by everyone but they all could see how special he was, which I loved reading.

The families are identifiable and all aspects of the relationships are explored, being a parent, a wife, a husband, surviving life. Rose Pickles's feelings reminded me of myself when I was a teenager, it was comforting to read in a way.

Sad, poignant and funny.

A book that I will always recommend and no doubt re~read again and again.

Rating ~ 10/10

A Stolen Life: A Memoir by Jaycee Dugard ~ Started: 22.10.11 ~ Finished: 23.10.11

13-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

On 10 June 1991, eleven-year-old Jaycee Dugard was abducted from a school bus stop within sight of her home in Tahoe, California. It was the last her family and friends saw of her for over eighteen years.

On 26 August 2009, Dugard, her daughters, and Phillip Craig Garrido appeared in the office of her kidnapper's parole officer in California. Their unusual behaviour sparked an investigation that led to the positive identification of Jaycee Lee Dugard, living in a tent behind Garrido's home. During her time in captivity, at the age of fourteen and seventeen, she gave birth to two daughters, both fathered by Garrido.

Dugard's memoir, is written by the 30-year-old herself and covers the period from the time of her abduction in 1991 up until the present. In her stark, utterly honest and unflinching narrative, Jaycee opens up about what she experienced, including how she feels now, a year after being found. Garrido and his wife Nancy have since pleaded guilty to their crimes.

The Story ~

'A Stolen Life: A Memoir' is the real life story of Jaycee Dugard who was kidnapped and held captive for 18 years by Philip Garrido and his wife, Nancy in 1991. Jaycee was finally set freed in August 2001. Jaycee's tells her story in a full and frank manner, never shying away from what she experienced at the hands of Philip Garrido, while his wife, Nancy stood by and let it happen. Jaycee talks about her loss of identify (Garrido made her use a different name), becoming a mother to two daughters, who were fathered by Garrido, the manipulation she endured at the hands of Philip and Nancy and finally her freedom.

What I thought of 'A Stolen Life: A Memoir' ~

I found it difficult to read Jaycee's story because she went through so much at the hands of a man who was morally reprehensible and hid behind various excuses for what he did, I felt so much anger for Jaycee because she had been let down badly. Jaycee shows so much strength throughout the book, she changed so drastically and did not like the person she had become, which was out of her control, it was the terrible situation she was in but she managed to do the best she could for her daughters and continues to do so. Jaycee also talks about her life after she was freed, her fears that her Mother would not accept her daughters, the stress of the media and trying to get back to normality through equine therapy (integrating horses with therapy).

There is also hope from Jaycee for herself and her daughters, she has worked hard for stability in their lives.

Jaycee is a remarkable person and by the end of the book, you will be wishing all the very best for her future.

Sad, memorable and powerful.

Rating ~ 8/10

Hear The Wind Sing by Haruki Murakami ~ Started: 23.10.11 ~ Finished: 25.10.11

14-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

The story takes place in 1970 over a period of nineteen days between August 8 and August 28, and is narrated by a 21-year-old unnamed man. The story contains forty small chapters amounting to 130-pages. The story covers the craft of writing, the Japanese student movement, and, like later Murakami novels, relationships and loss. Like later novels, cooking, eating and drinking, and listening to western music are regularly described.

The Story ~

'Hear The Wind Sing' is narrated by a 21 year old man (you never find out his name) and it takes place over 19 days between the 8th August and 28th August. The narrator shares his experiences and talks about his friend, 'The Rat' , a character who appears in Haruki Murakami later books. The narrator and 'The Rat' spend most of their time in a bar discussing life in general and The Rat's alienation towards society. The narrator also talks about the craft of writing and his thoughts on the fictional author, Derek Heartfield, a pulp science fiction author.

('Hear The Wind Sing' is the first book in the trilogy of the Rat and is followed by 'Pinball 1973' and 'A Wild Sheep Chase').

What I thought of 'Hear The Wind Sing' ~

This is Haruki Murakami's first book and you can see how his writing style has developed over the years and all the familiar themes are there, its a memorable book in some respects and definitely the start of something great, as many Haruki Murakami fans know.

'Hear The Wind Sings' is a quirky story which I enjoyed, it was great to read Haruki Murakami's early work.

What I liked about it was the message that the Rat always sent to the narrator with letters, etc because the narrator was born on 24th December it said, 'Happy Birthday and White Christmas', it was very familiar because I am an almost Christmas baby too.

Rating ~ 6/10

Edited by Weave

The Green Mile by Stephen King ~ Started: 24.10.11 ~ Finished: 29.10.11

16-1.gif

Synopsis ~

Set in the 1930s at the Cold Mountain Penitentiary's death-row facility, The Green Mile is the riveting and tragic story of John Coffey, a giant, preternaturally gentle inmate condemned to death for the rape and murder of twin nine-year-old girls. It is a story narrated years later by Paul Edgecomb, the ward superintendent compelled to help every prisoner spend his last days peacefully and every man walk the green mile to execution with his humanity intact.

Edgecomb has sent seventy-eight inmates to their date with "old sparky," but he's never encountered one like Coffey -- a man who wants to die, yet has the power to heal. And in this place of ultimate retribution, Edgecomb discovers the terrible truth about Coffey's gift, a truth that challenges his most cherished beliefs -- and ours.

The Story ~

'The Green Mile' is the story of Paul Edgecomb, warden superintendent at the Cold Mountain Penitentiary death row, also known as the Green Mile because the strip of green carpet which runs through the death row corridor to the room where 'Old Sparky', the electric chair resides, waiting for the next death row prisoner to be executed. Paul tells the story of the events leading up to the execution of John Coffey (like the drink but not spelled the same), a man accused of murdering two young girls but John Coffey is not what he seems, as Paul finds out.

What I thought of 'The Green Mile' ~

I have read 'The Green Mile' a few times now, the first time was in six parts and now as one edition. Its definitely one of my favourite books by Stephen King, so much has gone into the story of Paul and his fellow prison wardens and John Coffey, a book that makes you think and creates so much emotion.

For me, 'The Green Mile' is definitely a classic.

Rating ~ 10/10

Cuckoo by Julia Crouch ~ Started: 27.10.11 ~ Finished: 28.10.11

15-1.jpg

Synopsis ~

A dark, juicy, deliciously unsettling, read-it-in-one-sitting psychological drama.

Rose has it all - the gorgeous children, the husband, the beautiful home. But then her best friend Polly comes to stay. Very soon, Rose's cosy world starts to fall apart at the seams - her baby falls dangerously ill, her husband is distracted - is Polly behind it all? It appears that once you invite Polly into your home, it's very difficult to get her out again...

The Story ~

'Cuckoo' is the story of lifelong friends, Rose and Polly. Rose is living the dream with her husband Gareth and their two daughters, Anna and Flossie in their new home, their relationship is somewhat strained following Rose's pregnancy with Flossie. Polly, a former rock star has recently lost her husband, Christos in a car crash, so Rose invites Polly and her bereaved sons, Nico and Yannis to stay until they are back on their feet, much to Gareth's annoyance who is does not like Polly at all. Polly and her sons arrive and it becomes very clear that Polly is used to getting her own way and shows little to no interest in her sons, who have just lost their father, everything is about Polly.

Rose happily accepts Polly's sons and Polly into the family, Yannis and Nico are somewhat disruptive and Rose works to make him them feel welcome and secure.

Rose begins to become paranoia as Polly's actions cause trouble in her relationship with Gareth and as Rose is warned to get Polly out of her house, what will Polly do next?

What I thought of 'Cuckoo'~

I enjoyed 'Cuckoo' immensely, the characters were realistic and enthralling. Polly has to be the most selfish, manipulative friend ever with as many skeletons in her closet as Rose and Gareth had, which made for interesting reading, everyone had something to hide and Polly had the ability to bring individual's fears to the surface which she does subtlety, especially with Rose, who she constantly reminds that she knows things that Rose does not want anyone (especially Gareth) to know. As the story progressed and Rose's paranoia grows (and justifying so), you feel the tension as more goes wrong in Rose's life and her suspicions grow, you cannot wait for the climax. Excellent writing.

A intense, psychological read, I look forward to more books by Julia Crouch.

Rating ~ 10/10

Edited by Weave

Great reveiws :) Both these books sound really good, will have to keep a look out for them! :friends3:

Thanks Laura, I hope you get to read them, I got 'Cuckoo' as part of the book ring :)

I've just added my name to the book ring :) thanks for saving me some pennies hehe :)

No problem Laura, I hope you enjoy it. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion ~ Started: 21.11.11 ~ Finished: 21.11.11

16-2.jpg

Synopsis ~

'R' is a zombie. He has no name, no memories, and no pulse, but he has dreams. He is a little different from his fellow Dead. Amongst the ruins of an abandoned city, R meets a girl. Her name is Julie and she is the opposite of everything he knows - warm and bright and very much alive, she is a blast of colour in a dreary grey landscape. For reasons he can't understand, R chooses to save Julie instead of eating her, and a tense yet strangely tender relationship begins. This has never happened before. It breaks the rules and defies logic, but R is no longer content with life in the grave. He wants to breathe again, he wants to live, and Julie wants to help him. But their grim, rotting world won't be changed without a fight...

The Story ~

Meet 'R', he is a zombie but not your average zombie, he does not look like a zombie, unlike his zombie companions he has not started to decay, he smells but it’s not a bad smell.  'R' does not remember his name or has any memories, he eats human flesh but 'R' begins to change when he meets Julie, a young woman who is full of life and has grown up in a world of the undead, instead of eating her, 'R' saves her from death and as their relationship progresses, they learn about their worlds and how to change them.

What I thought of 'Warm Bodies' ~

As most of you know, I am a big fan of zombie fiction and 'Warm Bodies' for me is up there with 'The Reapers are the Angels' by Alden Bell just for the sheer excellent in both stories, they are different stories but both authors take a well-known genre and change it, which made for excellent reading.

'R' is a well written and interesting character, who you cannot help liking, he eats brains but he's affable and his relationship with Julie is shown brilliantly. Julie is also a well written and interesting character, she has an inner strength and such passion in her belief that life will get better, which was lovely to read.

'Warm Bodies' is a book that will surprise you, it is a mesmerizing story which hooks you right to the end.

A definite must read for zombie and non-zombie fans alike.

Rating ~ 10/10