~Weave's World of Books 2011~

Weave

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it might be like Smith or Jones in Japan! :lol:

I'm okay, thanks. Hope you're well. :)

I think so hen :giggle: and I am okay :)

I prefer the 60s to the 70s too vodkafan, I was born in '73, so I missed it and had to cope with 70s clothes and questionable music (well at least there was Marc Bolan :D)

Uh oh, what's wrong with the 70s clothes?! :giggle2: I love flared jeans and hippie shirts :smile2:

Afterlife (Book Four of the 'Evernight' series) by Claudia Gray by Claudia Gray ~ Started: 08.03.11 ~ Finished: 10.03.11

16.jpg

Synopsis ~

When Bianca chooses death over becoming a vampire, she doesn’t realise that another life lies in store…

The fourth and final novel in the internationally best-selling EVERNIGHT series – a vampire romance with a shocking twist.

Bianca and Lucas have always believed they could endure anything to be together. When a twist of fate not only transforms Bianca into a wraith but also turns Lucas into a vampire – the very creature he spent his life hunting – they are left reeling.

Haunted by his powerful need to kill, Lucas can turn to only one place for help… Evernight Academy. But with the vampire leader of Evernight waging war on the wraiths, Bianca’s former home has become the most dangerous place she could be, despite the new powers her ghostly transformation has given her.

A battle between wraiths and vampires looms, and Bianca and Lucas face a terrifying new reality. Is their love strong enough to survive after life?

The Story ~

'Afterlife' is the fourth and final book of the 'Evernight' series.

The story begins from where the previous book ended, with Lucas in danger and Bianca making a life changing decision that will change everything for the couple, which leads to Bianca and Lucas returning to Evernight Academy, when their story began and face the powers that be, and hopefully find some peace.

What I thought of 'Afterlife' ~

I was very disappointed by 'Afterlife', the premise of the books had always been solid and despite my reservations with the first book in the series, 'Evernight', the series had potential and the next two books showed that, unfortunately 'Afterlife' felt very rushed towards the end, which was a pity since it was the last book in the series.

Rating ~ 4/10

Desires of the Dead (Book Two in 'The Body Finder' series) by Kimberly Derting ~ Started: 10.03.11 ~ Finished: 12.03.11

17.jpg

Synopsis ~

Violet and Jay are finally dating, but adjusting to the new relationship is not as easy as Violet anticipated. Especially when she has to split Jay's time and attention with his new best friend, Mike, and Mike's pesky younger sister - who happens to be obsessed with Jay. Meanwhile, when Violet's special abilities lead her to the body of a young boy, her tip to the police puts her on the radar of the FBI. Violet tries to fend off the FBI's questions while maintaining the semblance of a normal life, but somebody's leaving her threatening notes and an echo around Mike's house reinforces that all is not right. Violet is forced to admit that perhaps the only people who can help her figure it out are the very people she's desperate to avoid - the FBI.

The Story ~

'Desires of the Dead' is the second book in The Body Finder series.

'Desires of the Dead' starts three months after the events of the first book.

Violet feels that her life has returned to normal until while in Seattle she feels an echo of a person calling to her, a person who has died, Violet feels the echo of the dead, a power she has had all of her life and she feels the echo until the person is found and properly buried. Following the discovery of the body and despite Violet's actions to make sure that no one knows about her involvement in the discovery and her powers, she is approached by the FBI, who are very interested to know how she found the body, something that Violet is not willing to share. Through all of this, Violet is receiving anonymous and sinister notes, and also adjusting to her relationship with best friend and now boyfriend, Jay.

What I thought of 'Desires of the Dead' ~

I did not enjoy 'Desires of the Dead' as much as I enjoyed 'The Body Finder', I thought the story was somewhat lacking and while there was enough to keep you interested, there was nothing exciting happening or any twists, I just felt like the story plodded along until the end.

Rating ~ 5/10

Back Home by Michelle Magorian ~ Started: 12.03.11 ~ Finished: 14.03.11

18.jpg

Synopsis ~

WW2 has just ended and twelve-year-old Rusty comes back home to Britain after being evacuated to the US. The greyness and bleakness of life in England is a shock, but even worse is adapting to the strict discipline of her family, including a brother she's never met, after the warmth and openness of her adopted American family. Rusty is sent to an horrific boarding school, before finally running away as her search for happiness becomes more and more desperate.

The Story ~

'Back Home' is the story of Virginia Dickinson, nicknamed 'Rusty' and her return to Great Britain five years after she was evacuated to Connecticut in America. Rusty as she was affectionately called by her American family because of her red hair is sad to leave America but is looking forward to seeing her parents and finally meeting her four year old brother, Charlie, who was born a year after Rusty left, although Rusty is going to miss her American family and she is homesick, she has high hopes for her return home. Unfortunately as soon as Rusty arrives she discovers that she does not really know her Mother, and her Mother feels the same about Rusty, Charlie does not want to know Rusty and is jealous about her return, Peggy, Rusty's Mother has becomes independent since her husband left for War and she was billeted to Devon to live with The Honourable Mrs Langley (known as Beatie) to give birth to Charlie and eventually started to work for the W.V.S (Women's Voluntary Service) and is now a trained mechanic, a job she loves doing and does well, Rusty's father is still at war in the Pacific.

Rusty is an independent, intelligent and cheerful girl who speaks her mind, much to the horror of her family but she is accepted by Beatie, who helps Rusty and Peggy to reconnect,which they start to do when they return home to their old home, where Rusty and Charlie's Grandmother resides, who is shocked by Rusty's ways and her accent and Charlie and his 'childish' ways, she makes sure that Rusty is sent to boarding school, which Rusty hates, she finds herself isolated because she is different from the other children, they will not accept her because she did not experience the war as they did, the teachers are also cold towards Rusty, who finds herself becoming more depressed and lonely, all she wants is to go home but she's not sure where home is anymore.

What I thought of 'Back Home' ~

Like 'Goodnight Mr Tom' also by Michelle Magorian which I read earlier this month, I first read 'Back Home' when I was a teenager and like 'Goodnight Mr Tom', I also enjoyed the book the second time as much as I did the first time. 'Back Home' is a story of family and the changes they can and do go through, Rusty returns from a place of safety to a place that has changed drastically because of the war, and her family has changed too, after years of separation, Rusty and her parents barely know each other, things have changed between Rusty's parents too, which becomes apparent when Rusty's Father returns from War, he expects everything to have stayed the same and does not appreciate the change in Peggy or Rusty. I liked all of the characters, Rusty was my favourite, she was such a funny and bright character that I could not help liking and feeling sorry for when so many things were changing for her, Peggy and Beatie were also great characters, both women fiercely independent, with Beatie encouraging Peggy to find her own way, to find happiness. 'Back Home' is an interesting story which shows the life of a returned evacuee.

An interesting and uplifting read.

Rating ~ 10/10

Edited by Weave

• 2 weeks later...

True Grit by Charles Portis ~ Started: 14.03.11 ~ Finished: 17.03.11

19.jpg

Synopsis ~

On a trip to buy ponies, Frank Ross is shot dead by Tom Chaney, one of his own workers, for a horse, $150 cash, and two Californian gold pieces. When Ross's unusually single~minded fourteen year old daughter Mattie arrives to claim his body, she discovers that the authorities are doing nothing to find Chaney. Then she hears of Rooster ~ a man, she's told, who has grit ~ and convinces him to join her in a quest into dark, dangerous Indian territory to hunt Chaney down and avenge her father's murder...

The Story ~

“They tell me you are a man with true grit.”

And so begins Mattie Ross's companionship with Marshall Reuben J. Cogburn, known as 'Rooster Cogburn, and their trek into Indian territory to search for Tom Chaney, the man who murdered Mattie's father, Frank in cold blood. Rooster known for his rough ways, is the man that Mattie believes will do right by her, and despite being just fourteen years old, Mattie is more than a match for Rooster, despite his efforts, he cannot get rid of Mattie, she is determined to catch Tom Chaney.

What I thought of 'True Grit' ~

'True Grit' told by Mattie Ross is a joy to read, Mattie's forthright nature and single mindedness shines through, she is 14 years old and is ready to face anything and anyone. I loved the dialogue between Rooster, Mattie and LaBeouf, an Texan ranger, who is also on the trail of Tom Chaney, their relationship develops as the story progresses, initially Rooster and LaBeouf see Mattie as hindrance and Mattie proves her worth. I enjoyed Mattie's individual look of the world, she takes everything in her stride, and despite the violence of the west and what she witnesses, she is more interested in the practicalities of every day life and she shares her thoughts on a regular basis, she is such an old soul.

'True Grit' is a truly great book, from Charles Port's description of America in1800's to Mattie Ross and Rooster Cogburn, both unforgettable characters, its definitely a book you will read again and again, in fact at the moment, I am re~reading it.

Rating ~ 10/10

Matched by Ally Condie ~ Started: 17.03.11 ~ Finished: 22.03.11

20.jpg

Synopsis ~

On her seventeenth birthday, Cassia meets her Match. Society dictates he is her perfect partner for life.

Except he’s not.

In Cassia’s society, Officials decide who people love.

How many children they have.

Where they work.

When they die.

But, as Cassia finds herself falling in love with another boy, she is determined to make some choices of her own.

The Story ~

'Matched' is the story of Cassia Reyes, a 17 year old girl who lives in a unknown dystopian society where everything is decided by The Officials, where you live, where you work, who you will marry and when you will die, which has been accepted by society because they have never experienced anything else, everything is as it should be. 'Matched' begins with the Matching ceremony, an occasion that Cassia and her lifelong friend, Xander Carrow and other 17 year old teenagers have been looking forward to, the matching ceremony will decide who you should be matched to and be married to by the age of 21, there is an system to the matching, the matches are in alphabetical order according to the girl's surnames, as the girl watches the screen in the banqueting hall, a boy appears, they have found their match.

Cassia's match turns out to a shock to Cassia and her family because it has never occurred before, Cassie has been matched to her best friend, Xander, which Xander and Cassia are happy about and look forward to their future together but as Cassia soon finds out, her life cannot be mapped out so easily, when she finds herself falling in love with Ky Markham, a quiet boy from her neighbourhood, he is more aware of the world around him that Cassia realises and the more time Cassia spends with Ky, the more she learns that she does not live in such a perfect society.

What I thought of 'Matched' ~

As some of you know I am a big fan of the dystopia genre and 'Matched' for me definitely covers what I like to see in a dystopia novel, there are strong characters, Cassia is a wonderfully written character, I love how you saw her change as the book progressed, it shows the changes a teenager goes through with the additional bonus of Cassia living in a so called perfect society. Ky, the boy Cassia falls in love with, is a great character, very unassuming but a major influence on Cassia, Xander, the boy who Cassia is matched is a surprising character, well for me, he was, excellent to read.

A well written, interesting book to start a series with, I have high hopes for the next two books in the trilogy, the second book 'Crossed' is due for release on the 1st November this year.

Rating ~ 10/10

Brilliant reviews Weave! :friends3:

Such a shame you didn't enjoy Afterlife and Desires of the Dead :( At least the next ones you read were top rated, I'd say that makes up for it! ;)

Thanks hen :)

What a shame about Afterlife being rushed. I am planning to read it as have the rest of the series but am taking a little break from the teenage vampire books at the mo.

I will be interested to see how I find it now.

I think it was just me ladymacbeth, the series had so much potential, and books 2 and 3 were great to read but the last book just felt very rushed, I am looking forward to reading your thoughts hen :)

Birthday Stories by Haruki Murakami ~ Started: 22.03.11 ~ Finished: 24.03.11

21.jpg

Synopsis ~

In this enviable gathering, Haruki Murakami has chosen for his party some of the very best short story writers of recent years, each with their own birthday experiences, each story a snapshot of life on a single day. Including stories by Russell Banks, Ethan Canin, Raymond Carver, David Foster Wallace, Denis Johnson, Claire Keegan, Andrea Lee, Daniel Lyons, Lynda Sexson, Paul Theroux, William Trevor and Haruki Murakami, this anthology captures a range of emotions evoked by advancing age and the passing of time, from events fondly recalled to the impact of appalling tragedy. Previously published in a Japanese translation by Haruki Murakami, this English edition contains a specially written introduction.

The Story ~

A selection of 13 short stories (chosen and including one by the man himself, Haruki Murakami) which covers the subject of a day none of us forget ~ birthdays. Stories by various authors, Russell Banks, Denis Johnson, William Trevor, Daniel Lyons, Lynda Sexson, David Foster Wallace, Ethan Canin, Andrea Lee, Raymond Carver, Paul Theroux, Claire Keegan and Lewis Robinson. All very different stories about birthdays, a day than can mean different things to different people.

What I thought of 'Birthday Stories' ~

'Birthday Stories' is an interesting collection of stories, some that I enjoyed and some that I did not enjoy, my favourite stories were 'Turning' by Lynda Sexson, the story of a young boy being told a story by his three elderly ladies, a different kind of story to tell a young man but there was a message behind it which I really liked. 'Angel of Mercy, Angel of Wrath', the story of Eleanor Black who on her 71st birthday has crows flying into her apartment, which initially frightens up but leads to something that changes her outlook on life, 'The Bath' by Raymond Carver, was the sad tale of a young boy called Scotty who slips into a coma on his birthday, and how is parents wait for him to wake, 'Birthday Girl' by Haruki Murakami, which I read before and always liked, a story of a girl on her twentieth birthday, who is given the opportunity of a wish on her birthday, I love this quote from the story ~ 'No matter what they wish for, no matter how far they go, people can never be anything but themselves ~ that's all.'

The introduction by Haruki Murakami is great to read too, what can I say, I love that man's words.

The only downside of for me was the stories I did not really 'get' but I am glad I read them and the stories I enjoyed, have introduced me to authors I will be looking out for.

Rating ~ 8/10

The Last Family in England by Matt Haig ~ Started: 24.03.11 ~ Finished: 28.03.11

22.jpg

Synopsis ~

Meet the Hunter family: Adam, Kate, and their children Hal and Charlotte. And Prince, their black Labrador. Prince is an earnest young dog, striving hard to live up to the tenets of the Labrador Pact (Remain Loyal to Your Human Masters, Serve and Protect Your Family at Any Cost). Other dogs, led by the Springer Spaniels, have revolted. Their slogans are 'Dogs for Dogs, not for Humans' and 'Pleasure not Duty'. Mentored by an elderly Labrador called Henry, Prince takes his responsibilities seriously, and as things in the Hunter family begin to go badly awry - marital breakdown, rowdy teenage parties, attempted suicide - his responsibilities threaten to overwhelm him. And down in the park it's even worse: Henry has disappeared; Falstaff the Springer Spaniel wants to lead Prince astray; Joyce the Irish wolfhound has been murdered. In the end Prince is forced to break the Labrador Pact and take desperate action to save his Family.

The Story ~

'The Last Family in England' is the story of Prince, a black Labrador, full of love and protective of his family, The Hunters. Prince, like most Labradors believe in The Labrador Pact and live by the motto, 'Duty Over All'. Following the Springer Spaniel uprising, the pact is solely carried by the Labradors, much to the confusion of other dog breeds (and cats), they find dogs like Prince and his mentor, Henry, an older golden Labrador a joke, they believe that dogs should protect themselves, that humans do not deserve protection from their pets.

Prince's family life is disrupted by the arrival of a face from the past, a friend of Prince's master, Adam, Prince can see him for what he is, he wants to destroy Prince's family and its Prince's job to stop him and protect his family.

What I thought of 'The Last Family in England' ~

Its been five years since I read 'The Last Family in England' and it made the same impact now as it did then, based on Shakespeare's Henry IV, Part 1 with the protagonists as dogs, which I enjoyed reading. Prince is such a devoted and loving dog and he is confused about the Labrador Pact because he is questioning its motives, he has the best of intentions, which is to protect his family, and as hard as he tries, he has successes and makes mistakes, which was sad to read because you want Prince to succeed.

A book narrated by a dog may sound strange but it works effectively, you cannot help but like Prince and his devotion to his family, a great read but with sad parts and if you have a soft spot for animals like I have, it may upset you (it upset me).

I am a big fan of Matt Haig, he has a wonderful gift of showing the different sides of people (and animals), if you get the chance, read the rest of his books.

Recommended.

Rating ~ 8/10

Edited by Weave

The Last Family in England sounds really good! Thanks for a great review, will have to keep an eye out for it!

Thanks Laura, its a great read :)

Waking the Witch (The Women of the Otherworld Series ~ Book 11) by Kelley Armstrong ~ Started: 28.03.11 ~ Finished: 31.03.11

23.jpg

Synopsis ~

Columbus is a small, fading town, untouched by the twenty-first century. But when three young women are found dead - victims of what appear to be ritual murders - things start to get very dark, and very dangerous ...Private investigator Savannah Levine can handle 'dark and dangerous'. As the daughter of a black witch, she has a lot of power running through her veins, and she's not afraid to use it. But her arrival in Columbus has not gone unnoticed. Savannah may think she's tracking down a murderer, but could she be the killer's next target? Of course she could always ask her old friend (and half-demon) Adam Vasic for backup. But Savannah has her own - very personal - reasons for keeping Adam well away from Columbus. And in any case, she can rely on her own powers. Can't she ...?

The Story ~

'Waking the Witch' is the 11th book in the Otherworld series.

The main character is Savannah Levine, a witch (who has appeared previously in the series in 'Stolen', 'Dime Store Magic', 'Industrial Magic', 'Haunted' and 'No Humans Involved'), and daughter of both the late Eve Levine (half demon, black witch and now an Angel) and Kristof Nash (Sorcerer, and former head of the Nash Cabal). Savannah is the ward of Paige Winterbourne (a witch) and Lucas Cortez (Sorcerer, lawyer and heir to the Cortez Cabal) since she was 12 years old following the death of her mother.

Savannah, now 21 and working for Cortez~Winterbourne Investigations, which she helps to run with the owners, Paige and Lucas, alongside Paige's life long friend, Adam Vasic (a Exusito Half~Demon), who Savannah has a secret crush on. Savannah is desperate to have a case of her own to investigate but Paige and Lucas feel that Savannah is not ready, however, the opportunity of investigating a case comes into play when Paige and Lucas go on holiday. Jesse Aanes, a Half~demon private investigator and also a friend of Lucas is looking for help to solve a murder case in Columbus, Savannah is more than ready to take on the job and with Adam helping, how can she go wrong? She is smart, confident and knows how to use her powers but Savannah has no idea what is waiting for her in Columbus or what she is about to face.

What I thought of 'Waking the Witch' ~

I was slightly apprehensive about 'Waking the Witch' because the main character was Savannah Levine, who up until now had been a secondary and quite annoying character but I am very glad to say that I was pleasantly surprised with 'Waking the Witch'. Savannah has finally came out from under the shadow of her mother, Eve. Savannah has grown up believing she has the same flaws as her mother but in 'Waking the Witch', you find out there is much more to Savannah, she is confident, strong, determined and stubborn but vulnerable and has a softer side which she tries to hide and she is very likeable.

The story as always is brilliantly written by Kelley Armstrong, with enough twists and turns to keep you entertained, I also love learning about the various demons and other supernaturals in the Otherwise universe and the fact that characters you recognise are mentioned or appear. 'Waking the Witch' is a definite favourite for me and I cannot wait for the next book, continuing with Savannah as the main character, 'Spellbound', which is due for release in August.

I am a big fan of Kelley Armstrong, the only books I have not read by her is the Nadia Stafford series but I do love the Otherworld series and I still cannot believe I almost give up on the first book 'Stolen', thankfully I did not and here we are.

A definite must read for fans ~ enjoy.

Rating ~ 10/10

Great review Weave! :D

I also almost gave up after 'Bitten', so pleased I didn't. I kinda warmed more to Savannah in this one too, hope to read more of her ;)

Edited by Charm

Great review Weave! :D

I also almost gave up after 'Bitten', so pleased I didn't. I kinda warmed more to Savannah in this one too, hope to read more of her ;)

Thanks hen :) I am glad you enjoyed it too, I am looking forward to 'Spellbound' :) Its weird that both of us almost gave up on 'Bitten' :)

Waking the Witch (The Women of the Otherworld Series ~ Book 11) by Kelley Armstrong ~ Started: 28.03.11 ~ Finished: 31.03.11

23.jpg

What I thought of 'Waking the Witch' ~

I was slightly apprehensive about 'Waking the Witch' because the main character was Savannah Levine, who up until now had been a secondary and quite annoying character but I am very glad to say that I was pleasantly surprised with 'Waking the Witch'. Savannah has finally came out from under the shadow of her mother, Eve. Savannah has grown up believing she has the same flaws as her mother but in 'Waking the Witch', you find out there is much more to Savannah, she is confident, strong, determined and stubborn but vulnerable and has a softer side which she tries to hide and she is very likeable.

The story as always is brilliantly written by Kelley Armstrong, with enough twists and turns to keep you entertained, I also love learning about the various demons and other supernaturals in the Otherwise universe and the fact that characters you recognise are mentioned or appear. 'Waking the Witch' is a definite favourite for me and I cannot wait for the next book, continuing with Savannah as the main character, 'Spellbound', which is due for release in August.

I am a big fan of Kelley Armstrong, the only books I have not read by her is the Nadia Stafford series but I do love the Otherworld series and I still cannot believe I almost give up on the first book 'Stolen', thankfully I did not and here we are.

A definite must read for fans ~ enjoy.

Rating ~ 10/10

Hi Weave,

I enjoyed your positive review of this book and would like to read it. But I am put off by the fact it is number 11 in a series. Would the story make sense to me if I just read this one on its own?

Birthday Stories sounds interesting too.

Hi vodkafan, how are you? I think you can read all the women of the otherworld books series separately because there is also enough information on the character mentioned during the story but the series is great to read from the start and 'Birthday Stories' is a great selection of stories. Hope that helps :)

Edited by Weave

I am Legend by Richard Matheson ~ Started: 01.04.11 ~ Finished: 01.04.11

24.jpg

Synopsis ~

Robert Neville is the last living man on earth ... but he is not alone. Every other man, woman and child on the planet has become a vampire, and they are all hungry for Neville's blood. By day he is the hunter, stalking the sleeping undead through the abandoned ruins of civilization. By night, he barricades himself in his home and prays for the dawn. How long can one man survive like this?

The Story ~

'I am Legend' is the story of Robert Neville, the last living man on earth (as far as he knows), the lone survivor of a pandemic where the symptoms resemble vampirism, he lives alone, in his former family home, living through the day by surviving the best he can and barricading himself into his home at night while the undead victims of the pandemic attack his house, desperate for his blood, can Robert Neville survive?, can he discover the cure? Or will he finally succumb to Ben Cortman (Robert Neville's former friend and neighbour) calls for him through the night.

What I thought of ''I am Legend' ~

'I am Legend' is one of my favourite books and every time I read it, I discover something else about it. One of the main themes of the book is Robert Neville's isolation and its shown brilliantly throughout the book, the most mundane of tasks to us are a lifeline to Robert Neville, he sees these tasks as keeping him sane. Well written, insightful, a different approach to the vampire genre. A book I will read again and again.

Rating ~ 10/10

Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood~Book 9) by J.R.Ward ~ Started: 02.04.11 ~ Finished: 02.04.11

25.jpg

Synopsis ~

In the darkest corners of the night in Caldwell, New York, a conflict like no other rages. The city is home to a band of brothers born to defend their race against those who seek to slay them. Welcome to the world of the warrior vampires of the Black Dagger Brotherhood.

Payne, twin sister of Vishous, is cut from the same dark, seductive cloth as her brother.

Imprisoned for eons by their mother, the Scribe Virgin, she finally frees herself - only to face a devastating injury. Manuel Manello, MD, is drafted by the Brotherhood to save her as only he can - but when the human surgeon and the vampire warrior meet, their two worlds collide in the face of their undeniable passion. With so much working against them, can love prove stronger than the birth right and the biology that separate them?

The Story ~

'Lover Unleashed' is the 9th book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series.

'Lover Unleashed' is the story of Payne (Vishous's twin sister), who first appeared in the previous book, 'Lover Mine'. Payne imprisoned by their mother, the Scribe Virgin, leaves her mother's realm when she suffers a a life threatening injury which Vishous's shellan, Doctor Jane is unable to cope with, so she asks her friend, Dr Manuel 'Manny' Manello to help, what Manny or Payne do not expect, is their intense attraction to each other, with everything against them, can they ever be together?

What I thought of 'Lover Unleashed' ~

I enjoyed 'Lover Unleashed', the story between Payne and Manny was solid but predictable, it worked out more than less the same as the previous relationships in the series did, which suited me, because despite the predictability, the characters are always well written, easily identifiable and fun to read.

The prominent storyline within the story was of Blay and Qhinn (and their future), I wanted to see more and I hope its explored more in the next book in the series. I missed the interaction between the other more well loved characters, if they did appear, it was very brief but the presence of Vishous and Butch made up for it because they are great characters and I love how their friendship has developed throughout the series.

The next book in the series is about Tohr, which I am looking forward to reading.

Rating ~ 7/10

Edited by Weave

My goodness Paula, sometimes you read a book a day. You really amaze me! :)

Aw thanks hen :blush: :blush:

Oh, I'm glad you enjoyed "Waking the witch"- I ordered it and it should be on it's way here even as I type. I think it might arrive today to the post office, but I won't be able to pick it up from there until tomorrow.

I can't wait to hear what you think of it Sara :)

A Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham ~ Started: 02.04.11 ~ Finished: 08.04.11

26.jpg

Synopsis ~

Here are two decades of American life told through four people: Bobby and gay Jonathan, growing up together in a small town in the 1970s; Jonathan's mother Alice; and unconventional Clare, with whom the two grown-up men form a family ....

The Story ~

'A Home at the End of the World' is the reading circle book for April.

'A Home at the End of the World' is the story of Bobby and Jonathan, lifelong friends, who both experience loss in their lives and connect because of their loss and learn from it. Clare, Jonathan's friend from New York also becomes a part of their lives and they become a family.

What I thought of 'A Home at the End of the World' ~

I enjoyed 'A Home at the End of the World' and it was definitely a book for discussion. All of the characters are so different and I enjoyed how each chapter was told from a character’s point of view.

My favourite character was Bobby because he was so unselfish and cared about everyone and was happy with his life because he was where he wanted to be in his life. Jonathan was a well explored character too, he was so lost and I felt for him because he wanted someone to give him all the answers when he knew himself, that he had to find his own answers, so it was a journey for Jonathan. As hard as I tried, I could not warm to Clare as a character, she was a strong character and had a difficult life but I got the impression that she was not happy unless her life was difficult and looked for problems that were not there but she was a easily identifiable character because I understood how she felt about aspects of her life, which was interesting to read.

A good read.

Rating ~ 7/10

I am Legend by Richard Matheson ~ Started: 01.04.11 ~ Finished: 01.04.11

Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood~Book 9) by J.R.Ward ~ Started: 02.04.11 ~ Finished: 02.04.11

I Am Legend? Hmmm.... I know it is probably a great book because I've seen the film, but the vampires are a bit too much like the infected in 28 Days Later, which totally gave me nightmares for weeks! :hide: I think I'll skip it :lol:

Lover Unleashed, on the other hand, just has to be read I'm afraid, it's the law in my house! :giggle2:

I Am Legend? Hmmm.... I know it is probably a great book because I've seen the film, but the vampires are a bit too much like the infected in 28 Days Later, which totally gave me nightmares for weeks! :hide: I think I'll skip it :lol:

Lover Unleashed, on the other hand, just has to be read I'm afraid, it's the law in my house! :giggle2:

:) Same here :giggle:

I Am Legend is one of my favourite books, too, Weave. I saw the film with Charlton Heston first, aged about 12, and was suitably terrified! I didn't read the book until quite recently, last year I think, but was so glad that I did. :)