Birth of a Killer- Darren Shan

Christie

I am a very big fan of Darren Shan and have read both book series and his stand alone novel The Thin Executioner in no time at all but his latest series is based on the life of the much loved Mr.Crepsley. I would like to know if you've read it and what you think of Mr.Shan and his grip on the childhood horror genre! :D

Following the massive success of the Demonata series, Darren Shan is back where it all started – telling the life story of the vampire Larten Crepsley. Spanning centuries and continents, taking in sea voyages, murder, war and love, this is the epic, bloodsoaked tale of a vampire who started out a nobody… and ended up changing the world forever.

When Larten escapes the terrible workhouse in which he toils, he doesn’t know that he is running from an early death… into another kind of transformation. After meeting the mysterious vampire Seba Nile while sheltering for the night in a crypt, Larten finds himself drawn into the shadowy world of the vampire Clan. As he travels and learns, Larten finds himself enjoying the adventure he has always dreamed of, seeing a world beyond any he suspected in his poverty-stricken youth.

But Larten begins to discover something else, too. Much like death, becoming a vampire is something you can’t come back from…

• 1 year later...

Got to dig this up because I've read through the first two books again in preparation for the last two which I've just received.

Birth of a Killer was pretty damn good. Not sure how it would fare for an outsider to read it, as I feel some things were left unexplained as they were explained in The Saga of Darren Shan, which may do one of two things: alienate or intrigue. But, for someone who loves the original Saga to bits I have to say that this book pleased me greatly.

To some it could be viewed that the story is a little bit rushed, as it deals with a lot of Larten's early life within around 250 pages, but this is okay. The book is plit into 4 different sections, each focussing on key points of Larten's life, with brief mentions of events that happened between these sections that are not important enough. This actually helps with the pace of the plot and allows the reader to understand the development of the young Mr. Crepsley.

But yeah, the plot is great and it is well written, as per usual. Defnitely pick it up if you're a fan of Darren Shan's writing. If you are a newcomer, pick up the original Saga first.

(Sorry this couldn't be longer and more in depth. I'm very very tired, but wanted to get some opinion out there somewhere. Will probably do a full review at some point.)