Tunn 300's 2011 Book List

tunn300

The Redbreast - Jo Nesbo

51hinkexL4L._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-48,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

Reassigned, having caused a high-profile embarrassment, Detective Harry Hole is bored with his new job in surveillance. Then he receives a report of a rare and unusual gun, with possible links to Neo Nazi activity, being smuggled into the country.

When a former Nazi sympathiser is found with his throat slit, Harry suspects a connection between the two cases. The ensuing investigation leads him to suspect that the crimes have their roots in the battlefields of the Eastern Front during World War Two, but as the bodies mount up it soon becomes clear that the killer is hell-bent on serving his own justice. But who is he? And why was Harry’s former partner trying to reach Harry on the night she was murdered?

Review

This is the 2nd Harry Hole book I have read, reading the Snowman earlier last year. This is actually the 2nd book in the series but book 1 has not been translated into English.

I did enjoy this book but would like to say up front that I have not enjoyed either of these books as much as I did as any of the Steig Larsson books. I feel the comparisons are a little unfair on Nesbo as his books do not really have much in common with Larsson's other than the fact they are both Scandinavian crime writers.

This book has a very interesting plot that is set both in the past and present and involves a large cast list. I am glad I read it over a short time period as I feel it may have become confusing had it been a book I read over a longer period.

I like Nesbo's writing style and he built suspense nicely as the book reached its dramatic conclusion. I am still not entirely sure of what I make of Harry Hole as a character but he certainly grew on me during this book.

I will certainly continue to read the series and have bought the next book in the series 'Nemesis' to read soon. I think this series has the potential to be very good and would recommend it to others to give it a go however please discount the 'Next Stieg Larsson' quotes that have been plastered on every single book in the series now.

8/10

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great reviews Tunn :) I really enjoyed 'One Day' too .. very readable and Emma is a great character (I doubt you were alone in not liking Dexter all that much, I regularly wanted to kick him in the pants.)

Your opinion of 'A Tiny Bit Marvellous' matches that of my sister who read it a while back .. she liked it but found some of it irritating. I like Dawns humour usually so I'm looking forward to reading it. Like you said it's the perfect sort of beach read and though I'm not thinking of visiting the beach again anytime soon (.... wait ... for the violins to tune up :D ...) it'll do just as well in the garden - that's if we should have another sunny day this year (violins reaching a crescendo now!)

Life in Cirencester is good, though Alan was made redundant at the end of June and we went into panic mode, things are beginning to settle down now and he's got some temporary work which has helped take the pressure off. The library here is awful and I still have to go to the Swindon libraries to get anything decent .. everything else here though is great and we love it.

Sorry to hear about Alan, am sure something will turn up soon. In Cirencester I find the Oxfam books and music shop is great. I was in there just before I went on holiday and managed to pick up an unedited first edition of 'The Passage' for just £2. I regularly go there and find some great books.

I will be moving back to Swindon just before Christmas hopefully so I can help to keep those visitor numbers up at the library.

A Tiny Bit Marvellous - Dawn French

51pe03-sHBL._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-40,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

Everyone hates the perfect family.So you'll love the Battles.Mo is about to hit the big 50, and some uncomfortable truths are becoming quite apparent:She doesn't understand either of her teenage kids, which as a child psychologist, is fairly embarrassing.She has become entirely grey. Inside, and out.Her face has surrendered and is frightening children.Dora is about to hit the big 18 . . . and about to hit anyone who annoys her, especially her precocious younger brother Peter who has a chronic Oscar Wilde fixation.Then there's Dad . . . who's just, well, dad.A TINY BIT MARVELLOUS is the story of a modern family all living in their own separate bubbles lurching towards meltdown. It is for anyone who has ever shared a home with that weird group of strangers we call relations.Oh and there's a dog. Called Poo.

Review

I bought this book just before going on holiday and had high hopes based on other reviews that I would be chuckling away whilst reading it.

The book follows the lives of the Battle family (name reflects the essence of family life) over a course of a few months as Dora approaches her 18th birthday. The book is written as Diary entries from the mum, daughter and son, there is one entry from the father towards the end. The idea behind this is that we get to see events from all of their perspectives. One of the problems for me is that there are very few actual events and those that are there are pretty cliched.

The three main characters we deal with all have wildly different personalities. The mum is a child psychologist but has a terrible relationship with her own children. The son has an Oscar Wild fixation that drives his mum mad and probably the reader after a while. However the worst character in my opinion is Dora, the teenage daughter. She is Vicky Pollard from Little Britain in all but name. The language French uses is so out of touch with how young people today actually speak, especially by the time they have reached 18. I have honestly never heard anyone but Ali G use the term Booyakasha in conversation. I found her chapters of the book hardest to read as her style just frustrated me, it is possible French is making her into a caricature of what many people think teenagers are like but for me it just doesn't work.

As I said earlier I mainly bought the book for the humor however I only found a few real laughs in there. Most of the book is actually very predictable and mundane family life and some of it is actually very troubling.

I did not hate the book by any means (I know the review sounds pretty negative) but I had just expected so much more based on reviews and the author. As a light-hearted beach read it is perfectly fine and very easy to read and follow. It is not a book I would recommend but not one I would definitely advise against either. Just don't go into reading it with the high expectations I had.

7/10

Pigeon English - Stephen Kelman

41hWATwVHtL._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-47,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

Newly arrived from Ghana with his mother and older sister, eleven-year-old Harrison Opoku lives on the ninth floor of a block of flats on an inner-city housing estate. The second best runner in the whole of Year 7, Harri races through his new life in his personalised trainers - the Adidas stripes drawn on with marker pen - blissfully unaware of the very real threat all around him.

With equal fascination for the local gang - the Dell Farm Crew - and the pigeon who visits his balcony, Harri absorbs the many strange elements of his new life in England: watching, listening, and learning the tricks of inner-city survival.

But when a boy is knifed to death on the high street and a police appeal for witnesses draws only silence, Harri decides to start a murder investigation of his own. In doing so, he unwittingly endangers the fragile web his mother has spun around her family to try and keep them safe.

A story of innocence and experience, hope and harsh reality, Pigeon English is a spellbinding portrayal of a boy balancing on the edge of manhood and of the forces around him that try to shape the way he falls.

Review

I bought this book in the Kindle summer sale for just over a £1 and it has since been nominated in the long list for the Man Booker Prize 2011.

I have to start by saying this is by far and away the best book I have read on my holidays this year and I hope I can at least do some justice to how good it is through my review.

The story is told through the eyes of Harri an 11 year old boy recently arrived from Ghana with his mother and sister. His father and youngest sister are still back in Ghana as the family could not afford to bring them all over at once. Most of the book deals with Harri and his friend Dean deciding to investigate the recent murder of a teenager on the estate as they believe the police are useless.

As the story is told through Harri's eyes we get to see him adjusting to life in England and his naivety to what is happening around him. We can clearly see what is happening with the gangs and other residents he deals with but Harri is just so innocent to it. We as the reader can clearly see the path he is being taken down by his community very early on and it is obvious it is only going to end in a couple of ways, neither good.

I happened to be reading this book whilst the London riots were happening and seeing the pictures on tv really bought home some of the messages in this book. Right at the start Harri knows that a war is coming in England but he is just not sure what type of war. The images of last week show this perfectly. Harri's innocence manages to highlight the gritty reality of living in these 'depressed neighborhoods' of London and the lack of respect for the police and society that are often found there.

Part of the book I notice some people have had trouble with is that Harri early on declares his love for pigeons and throughout the book talks to a particular pigeon and it appears to talk back to him. For me this was not really too much of a problem as I think most children often have imaginary friends that hey think are real. For me however these sections where the pigeon talks could have been removed and the book would have not lost anything.

Harri is an excellent character and it is hard to feel anything but sympathy for him, even as his actions begin to become troublesome. The book itself is fairly short and very easy to read as it is written from the perspective of a child. I highly recommend this book and hope that it goes on to make the short list for the Man Booker.

10/10

Pigeon English sounds brilliant. I just looked at it on Amazon, and it seems that it's no longer part of the sale. :irked:

I think as soon as it was announced on the long list for this years Man Booker prize at the end of July they put it back up to full price unfortunately! It is a book I really enjoyed, possibly it will be reduced again if it fails to make the short list in September.

Well between writing all my reviews on here I have found time to read too and today finished 'Before I Go To Sleep' which is a truly excellent novel! Will continue with my review posting tomorrow and hopefully get this one reviewed too.

It was also my birthday yesterday and I was given 3 new books and a Waterstones voucher. The books were 'Dave Gorman vs The World', 'The Fry Chronicles' and 'An Idiot Abroad'. I have already read the last one but luckily was given the reciept so I can exhange it.

With these books and my vouchers it looks like I will be reading some actual non-kindle books again!

Edited by tunn300

With these books and my vouchers it looks like I will be reading some actual non-kindle books again!

... I feel like singing :D

Great review of 'Pigeon English' Tunn .. it's going on my wishlist for sure.

I like the Cirencester Oxfam bookshop too, it's a little pricier in there than in some of the other charity shops but it's well worth it because everything is so nicely laid out and they have better books in there (and a much higher turnover of books too so you're not looking at the same old ones.)

Dexter in the Dark - Jeff Lindsay

51W5XYjyAZL._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-46,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

Dexter Morgan is busy planning his wedding to Rita to complete his nice-guy disguise. But when a student is found burnt, molested and headless - seemingly sacrificed to an ancient god - and Dex is brought in as forensic analyst to help investigate, he realises he could be dealing with someone a whole lot more sinister than he is. Soon it seems the dark passenger in Dexter's head has gone into hiding. And when something creeps out your friendly neighbourhood serial killer, you know it's serious . . . As Halpern and Dexter are stalked by death, it looks like it's getting personal - especially as Dex now has a family to protect. Gradually, Dexter realises his stepchildren might share his extracurricular interest in death. Could he help them target their bloodlust, just as he steers his own? But to do that, Dex must cope with a certain mutilated sergeant from his past, and more importantly . . . stay alive . . .

Review

This is the third book in the Dexter series which has also been turned into a hit US show.

In this book we find Dexter preparing to marry Rita when a pair of burnt corpses missing their heads turn up at Dexter's old university campus. What happens next dictates the main plot for this book and that is Dexter's dark passenger, which helps him with his killing, becomes scared and disappears. What follows over the rest of the book is Dexter's quest to get his passenger back and find the person responsible for carrying our these murders.

I have to say I did not enjoy this book anywhere near as much as the first two or the TV series. I found the book very strange and it disappears off down a very demonic possession route that I found hard to both follow and believe in. I still enjoyed the pacing of the book and the premise behind the killer but for me this was just far too far-fetched to buy into.

I will continue to read the series but hope the next book moves away from this line. I have also been watching the TV series over the past couple of months and have found them excellent and their plots have been far superior to the one found in this book and more in keeping with the original Dexter premise I feel.

7/10

Edited by tunn300

Before I Go To Sleep - S.J. Watson

51fxdCGQMDL._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-51,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

Memories define us.

So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep?

Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love - all forgotten overnight.

And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story.

Welcome to Christine's life.

Review

I first heard about this book on these forums when somebody (can't remember who) reviewed it as an Amazon Vine member before its release and I have been looking forward to it since then.

The premise of the book is that each night when Christine goes to sleep her memory is erased and she wakes up the next morning not knowing where she is or who the person in bed next to her is. She then spends the day learning about her life and her husband and family. As I write this it has occurred to me that so far the plot sounds exactly the same as the Adam Sandler film '50 First Dates'. Luckily that is where the comparisons end as throughout the book Christine begins to keep a journal to help her remember what happens from one day to the next and it is through this journal we begin to find out that everything she is being told is not necessarily true.

The book is in three sections all told from Christine's perspective. The first section is an introduction to one day of her life, the 2nd are all the diary entries she keeps and the final section is a dramatic conclusion played out in the present. I like that the book is from Christine's point of view as we get to see her come to terms with each new revelation and we also genuinely don't know what is coming next. The book kept me guessing right up till the final page and still has me thinking about it now.

I really enjoyed this book and raced through it in a couple of days as I just had to find out what happened next. The tension is built superbly and there are many twist and turns to the plot that I just did not see coming. The characters are created really well and my opinion of them kept changing with each twist in the plot. I highly recommend this book as an excellent psychological thriller and look forward to reading more books by this very talented new author.

10/10

At last I am finally up to date with my reviews!! This will teach me for daring to take a holiday and read lots of book without being able to post reviews.

I bought some new books with my Waterstones vouchers yesterday, yes actual real-life books. I picked up 'Skippy Dies' by Paul Murray, 'A Visit From the Goon Squad' by Jennifer Egan and 'Eleven' by Mark Watson as all books are currently 3 for 2.

I have also made a good start on 'Dave Gorman vs. The Rest of the World' although I have to admit after reading so many Kindle books this year reading an actual book again is a bit strange. I mean you have to physically turn the page and when you pick the book up it does not automatically go to the right page and it is pretty heavy to hold too!! These printed book things will never catch on I tell you.

Great review of Before I Go To Sleep. It was such a compelling read. :boogie:

Thanks Bobblybear. It was actually reading your review that reminded me about the book and made me go out buy it and bump it to the top of my TBR pile.

great review indeed...I ordered this last night from Amazon...can't wait to read it

Thanks Sofia, I hope you enjoy it. Most people that have read it seem to really like it so hope it does not disappoint for you.

I'll be sure to post my thoughts on it after reading :)

I look forward to reading your thoughts.

I am progressing nicely through Dave Gorman vs. The Rest of the World. About 2/3 in and enjoying every minute, I really like Gorman's books and have so much admiration for the way he finds the positives in everything. Should be finished over the weekend so will post my full thoughts in my review.

Dave Gorman vs. The Rest Of The World - Dave Gorman

51Cltlb0kZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

Remember when you were a kid, and you used to go round to a friend's house to see if they were playing? Well, as adults we're not supposed to do that. Which is a shame... because Dave Gorman likes playing. He REALLY likes games. So he knocked on the biggest door you could ever imagine - the internet - and asked 76,000 people if they fancied a game. This is the story of what happened next.

Dave was up for anything and gamely played them at whatever they chose. He played some classics - Monopoly, Scrabble, dominoes and cribbage. He played many games he'd never heard of before - Khet, Kubb, Tikal or Smite anyone?

He played board games and physical games. He's thrown sticks, balls, frisbees and darts. He's rolled dice and he's drawn cards.

From Liverpool to Hampstead and from Croydon to Nottingham, Dave travelled the length and breadth of Britain meeting strangers in strange places -- their homes, at work, in the back rooms of pubs -- and getting some hardcore game action. From casual players to serious game geeks, from the rank amateur to the world champion, he discovered a nation of gamers more than happy to welcome him into their midst.

He's travelled all around the country and met all sorts of people - and it turns out us Brits are a competitive bunch! And it seems that playing games can teach you a lot about what makes the British tick. Of course, Dave hasn't been keeping score. Much.

Review

I was given this book for my birthday along with tickets to see the man himself on his upcoming tour. I am a huge fan of Dave Gorman and have read all his previous books and seen him live before.

This book centers on a time in Dave's life where he was at a bit of loose end between tours and other work and decided to spend the time challenging people to a game of anything they wanted. He used twitter to advertise his desire to play games and then proceeded to meet and play people who had replied.

This book however is not just about games. Like Gorman's other books the actual reason for his travels is not as interesting as the travels themselves and the people he meets. Gorman has such a positive personality and is happy to go with the flow and really does see the best in people. He tries a variety of games from classics such as Monopoly right through to the relatively unheard of game of Smite.

I greatly enjoyed this book and find the way Gorman writes highly amusing and interesting. I have whizzed through the book fairly quickly and was disappointed when it ended as I was enjoying it so much. Gorman becomes so involved in the games he is playing and so competitive and many are told as life or death encounters.

I recommend this book to those looking for a light-hearted book with plenty of heart and amusing tales and I look forward to Gorman's next 'project'.

9/10

With the beautiful English weather being at its worst yesterday and this morning it enabled me to spend some time making a good dent into reading my next book 'A Visit from the Goon Squad' by Jessica Egan. I am now around 1/3 of the way through the book and am still not sure what to make of it. It has picked up a host of prizes and good reviews so far this year and I am enjoying it, however it does require an awful lot of concentration to read.

Each chapter of the book is written from a different characters perspective so far. To make matters more confusing the timeline of the book jumps around greatly from the 70's to the present day without too much of a clue as to where we are at the start of each chapter. Add in the fact that the tense is also constantly changing and we sometimes get a full future history of a character within a paragraph and you can see why I am having to give this book my undivided attention.

Saying that though I am enjoying the story although I am not sure where it is headed just yet.

As the weather has finally perked up and I can even now see the sun I am off out but look forward to continuing with this intriguing book later. Anybody else read this novel yet?

Dexter in the Dark - Jeff Lindsay

I have to say I did not enjoy this book anywhere near as much as the first two or the TV series. I found the book very strange and it disappears off down a very demonic possession route that I found hard to both follow and believe in. I still enjoyed the pacing of the book and the premise behind the killer but for me this was just far too far-fetched to buy into.

I will continue to read the series but hope the next book moves away from this line. I have also been watching the TV series over the past couple of months and have found them excellent and their plots have been far superior to the one found in this book and more in keeping with the original Dexter premise I feel.

I couldn't agree with you more, the book was not up to par with the first two and it was basically weird. But I think I did warn you about it some time ago. And I promise, book 4 is just as good as books 1 & 2, so don't lose faith. And book 5 is brilliant :smile2:

I couldn't agree with you more, the book was not up to par with the first two and it was basically weird. But I think I did warn you about it some time ago. And I promise, book 4 is just as good as books 1 & 2, so don't lose faith. And book 5 is brilliant :smile2:

I do remember your warning Frankie. This book is just so random and is very much out of sync with the storylines of the first two books.

I have also been watching the tv show and have just finished series 4. I thought the Trinity killer was an excellent story line. I have pre-ordered series 5 which is released in early September and am looking forward to seeing how Dexter survives after the huge shock at the end of the last series.

A Visit from the Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan

51UTRRK2zQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

Winner of the Pultizer Prize. A brilliantly entertaining novel about memory, time, art and how humans connect at every level.

Review

I really don't know where to start in attempting to review this book as it is so unlike anything I think I have ever read. It has recently won the 2011 Pulitzer prize for fiction and has received critical acclaim in the press. The 'story' follows the lives of people primarily involved in the music industry and all that goes with it. Each chapter of the book is told from a different characters' perspective and other characters from within the book may pop up in their chapter telling us a little bit more about them. So far pretty standard fare, however where most books will tell you at the start of a chapter who is writing it, Egan does not. Some chapters are written in first person and we have to guess or wait till their name is mentioned by another character till we discover who we are reading about. Other chapters however are written in third person so we can establish the characters immediately and other chapters are a mix of both first and third person. Getting confused, well to help matters the story takes place between 1970 and some undefined point roughly 20 years in the future and the story does not follow on chronologically with us jumping back and forth between time periods without being told at the start of a chapter we are doing so or where we are now. To round things off there is a whole chapter written in the style of a PowerPoint (admittedly from a child) and some characters pop up in one chapter and we have their whole future explained to us in just a paragraph, sometimes to the point of their great, great, great grandchild.

Now I know that sounds utterly confusing and admittedly at first it is but it is also a lot of fun. Each chapter is so varied in the writing style, language used and the focus of the story that starting each one is like starting a new book. One thing I will add about the writing is that Egan uses long articulated sentences and after reading so many books nowadays which are full of short sentences this took me time to adjust to, but well worth it for her descriptions.

At the heart of the book we are looking in on the lives of a group of Americans of varying ages, they deal with mundane things and incredible things but each is still exciting to read about. I really enjoyed learning about the character of Sasha who, if it is possible, is one of the central characters as she is in many of the others' chapters. Through the book we learn who she is and the probable causes of why she is the woman we meet at the start of the book. She is also one of the few characters we get to see in the future and for me I was pleased with the ending she was given.

I think I am going to stop there in my thoughts as this book is just very difficult to accurately describe, even now I can think of things I have left out. I would recommend this book to everyone as something incredibly different to most things out there at the moment. It can be hard work, especially at the start, but I felt well worth it.

I would love to hear others that have read it give their opinions on the book.

9/10

After finishing 'A Visit from the Goon Squad' yesterday it means I have read 30 books so far this year which is equal to my total for the whole of last year! :D

Yesterday I made a start on my next book which is 'Eleven' by Mark Watson. I bought this book as I really like him as a comedian not due to the "if you liked 'One Day' this is for you" comments on the front. Admittedly I am only 50 pages in but can't really find any similarities between this and One Day.

Whilst on the Subject of One Day I went with my wife to see the film yesterday. This happens to be one of the few books in the world we have both read and am sorry to announce we were both incredibly disappointed with the film. I had heard from reviews that it was not good so my expectations were not high, unlike me wife's, but it failed to even live up to those lowered expectations. Anne Hathaway's Yorkshire accent is simply shocking but that is not the only thing that let it down, it simply failed to capture the building romance and tension of the relationship in the book. I know this would be hard in a 100 minute film but with David Nicholls writing the screeenplay himself I expected better. There was also an interesting article in the I newspaper yesterday which did say this film was poor but that we should not let a bad film adaption spoil what we felt for the book in the first place. It states that they are two different art forms and should be viewed as such and independently of each other. I think this is impossible if you have read the book first and especially with One Day where so much of the back story of the book is missed out I had to fill it in in my own head as we went along. My sister is also going to see the film and will be intrigued what she thinks of it having never read the book before.

Edited by tunn300

I love your review of 'A Visit From the Goon Squad' Tunn :) I had heard it was a little bit different and difficult and so was not sure whether to attempt it or not, I will most definitely now it sounds quirky and interesting.

Sorry you had a bad cinema experience .. why on earth would they cast Anne Hathaway? The Yorkshire accent is not the easiest in the world to imitate, even if you're British. What a shame because Emma was the best thing about the book and to have her miscast :irked: Anna Maxwell Martin would have been perfect .. she's from Yorkshire too but I guess she's just not box office enough. Well, it's another one to add to the pile of 'great books turned into bad movies'.. I'm going to give it a miss.

why on earth would they cast Anne Hathaway? The Yorkshire accent is not the easiest in the world to imitate, even if you're British. What a shame because Emma was the best thing about the book and to have her miscast :irked: Anna Maxwell Martin would have been perfect .. she's from Yorkshire too but I guess she's just not box office enough.

She would be perfect. just started reading the book this week and have been thinking who would be better to play her and all I could come up with was Ashley Jenson or Carey Mulligan both very good actresses but they didn't quite seem to fit Emma now you have said AMM I demand a re-make. I am enjoying the book but am not planning on watching the film anytime soon.