Tunn 300's 2011 Book List

tunn300

Well a new year begins and with it a new reading log. Last year my goal was 24 books and I managed 30 so have upped the game to 40 this year. To help me along the way I have been given a Kindle for Christmas which should help me spend more time reading! I still have a huge amount of books to be read from last year and have already put several on my kindle so am trying not to purchase as many as usual, however I feel this may just about be impossible with the recommendations on here. Anyway the list:

Books pre-2011 still unread

The Prophecy - Chris Kuzneski

Sword of God - Chris Kuzneski

Six Suspects - Vikas Swarup

The Devil's Punchbowl - Greg Iles

Belfast Confidential - Colin Bateman

Orpheus Rising - Colin Bateman

The Horse With my Name - Colin Bateman

In the Woods - Tanya French

Double Whammy - Carl Hiaasen

Tourist Season - Carl Hiaasen

The Rapture - Liz Jensen

Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese

Brixton Beach - Roma Tearne

Count to Ten - Karen Rose

Darkhouse - Alex Barclay

Life Expectancy - Dean Koontz

The Caller - Alex Barclay

In the Dark - Mark Billingham

Grave Sight - Charlaine Harris

The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards

One Day - David Nicholls

Child 44 - Tom Rob Smith

The Pirate's Daughter - Margaret Cezair-Thompson

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest - Stieg Larsson

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

Wish You Were Here - Mike Gayle

Bloodline - Mark Billingham

The Twilight Time - Karen Campbell

Down River - John Hart

Club Dead - Charlaine Harris

Dead to the World - Charlaine Harris

Dead As A Doornail - Charlaine Harris

All Together Dead - Charlaine Harris

Definitely Dead -Charlaine Harris

From Dead to Worse - Charlaine Harris

Labyrinth - Kate Mosse

Death Trip - Lee Weeks

Too Close To Home - Linwood Barclay

Shatter - Michael Robotham

The Drowning Man - Michael Robotham

The Crucifix Killer - Chris Carter

Heartsick - Chelsea Cain

Sweetheart - Chelsea Cain

Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen

The Swan Thieves - Elizabeth Kostova

Have a Little Faith - Mitch Albom

Coming Back To Me - Marcus Trescothick

One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night - Christoper Brookmyer

Blood at the Bookies - Simon Brett

The Angels Game - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Fingersmith - Sarah Waters

Two Caravans - Marina Lewycka

The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay

An Idiot Abroad - Karl Pilkington

Books purchased between Christmas and New Year with vouchers

The Help - Kathryn Stockett

Sister - Rosamund Lupton

My **** Life so Far - Frankie Boyle

The Trophy Taker - Lee Weeks

The Last 10 Seconds - Simon Kernick

What you See is What You Get - Alan Sugar

The Redbreast - Jo Nesbo

Room - Emma Donoghue

Timoleon Vieta Come Home - Dan Rhodes

1222 - Anne Holt

Splinter - Sebastian Fitzek

The Hanging Shed - Gordon Ferris

The Perfect Murder - Peter James

2011 Books

Killing Floor - Lee Child

Flowers For Algernon - Daniel Keyes (February Book Circle book)

Moab is my Washpot - Stephen Fry

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand - Helen Simonson

The Leopard - Jo Nesbo

Step on a Crack - James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge

Run For Your Life - James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge

Worst Case - James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge

The Blasphemer - Nigel Farndale

Playing the Game - Simon Gould

It's Your Time You're Wasting - Frank Chalk

Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro

The Slap - Christos Tsiolkas

Ordinary Thunderstorms - William Boyd

Let The Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist

Pigeon English - Stephen Kelman

From The Dead - Mark Billingham

Dearly Devoted Dexter - Jeff Lindsay

A Tiny Bit Marvellous - Dawn French

Dexter in the Dark - Jeff Lindsay

Before I Go To Sleep - S.J. Watson

Nemesis - Jo Nesbo

Afterwards - Rosamund Lupton

Dave Gorman vs. The Rest Of The World - Dave Gorman

The Fry Chronicles - Stephen Fry

Eleven - Mark Watson

A Visit from the Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan

Skippy Dies - Paul Murray

The Sense of an Ending - Julian Barnes

Dear Coca-Cola - Terry Ravenscroft

May I Have Your Attention Please - James Cordon

Snowdrops - A.D. Miller

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie (November Book Circle Book)

The Payback - Simon Kernick

Confessions of a GP - Dr Benjamin Daniels

Look at Me - Jennifer Egan

Back of Beyond - C.J. Box

The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga

The Dogs of Rome - Conor Ftzgerald

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

Denotes e-books purchased for Kindle

Denotes a library book

Edited by tunn300

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Books Read in 2010 - 30 (On BCF - can be found here)

Books read in 2011 - 39

[Kindle eBooks - 30, Paperbacks - 7, Library Books - 2]

January

What you See is What You Get - Alan Sugar 7/10

Timoleon Vieta Come Home - Dan Rhodes 8/10

Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay 8/10

Room - Emma Donoghue 10/10

Coming Back To Me - Marcus Trescothick 8/10

The Last 10 Seconds - Simon Kernick 9/10

Flowers For Algernon - Daniel Keyes - 9/10

February

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest - Stieg Larsson 10/10

Step On A Crack - James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge 7/10

1222 - Anne Holt 5/10

Run For Your Life - James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge 7/10

March

It's Your Time You're Wasting - Frank Chalk 5/10

April

An Idiot Abroad - Karl Pilkington 8/10

Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro 9/10

Sister - Rosamund Lupton - 10/10

The Slap - Christos Tsiolkas - 9/10

May

From the Dead - Mark Billingham 8/10

Worst Case - James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge 7/10

June

Dearly Devoted Dexter - Jeff Lindsay 8/10

July

Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen 9/10

Killing Floor - Lee Child 8/10

One Day - David Nicholls 9/10

The Perfect Murder - Peter James 7/10

August

The Redbreast - Jo Nesbo 8/10

A Tiny Bit Marvelous - Dawn French 7/10

Pigeon English - Stephen Kelman 10/10

Dexter in the Dark - Jeff Lindsay 7/10

Before I Go To Sleep - S.J. Watson 10/10

Dave Gorman vs. The Rest Of The World - Dave Gorman 9/10

A Visit from the Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan 9/10

Eleven - Mark Watson 9/10

September

October

The Sense of an Ending - Julian Barnes 8/10

Dear Coca-Cola - Terry Ravenscroft 6/10

The Help - Kathryn Stockett 10/10

November

December

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie 9/10

The Payback - Simon Kernick 7/10

Snowdrops - A.D. Miller 7/10

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand - Helen Simonson 9/10

Confessions of a GP - Benjamin Daniels 7/10

Edited by tunn300

What You See is What You Get - Alan Sugar

41WyKxL2HLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Synopsis - Amazon

Alan Sugar was born in 1947 and brought up on a council estate in Clapton, in Hackney. As a kid he watched his dad struggle to support the family, never knowning from one week to the next if he'd have a job. It had a huge impact on him, fuelling a drive to succeed that was to earn him a sizeable personal fortune. Now he describes his amazing journey, from schoolboy enterprises like making and selling his own ginger beer to setting up his own company at nineteen; from Amstrad's groundbreaking ventures in hi-fi and computers, which made him the darling of the stock exchange, to the dark days when he nearly lost it all; from his pioneering deal with Rupert Murdoch to his boardroom battles at Tottenham Hotspur FC. He takes us into the world of The Apprentice, and describes his appointment as advisor to the government and elevation to the peerage. Like the man himself, this autobiography is forthright, funny and sometimes controversial.

Review

Initially I really enjoyed this book and learning all about Alan Sugar's rise to fame and fortune. I really appreciated the hard work he had to put in to get what he wanted. It really tells us about his philosophy in business and it is clear why Amstrad became so successful.

However as the book progresses I began to admire the man less and less. Everything that went wrong was another persons fault and everything that went right completely down to him. I enjoyed finding out more about his time at Tottenham and his court battles and the starting of the apprentice but in the end was worn down by his self-congratulation. I know Autobiographies are often self congratulating like this and that is why I read only a few, but at times this book went over the top in my opinion.

Overall I did enjoy the book and finding out about his early life but towards the end I was just waiting for it to finish.

7/10

Hi Tunn! I've really been enjoying the Sookie Stackhouse series and I have a few more to go this year.

I have other books of yours on my TBR pile too, so I'll be interested in reading your thoughts throughout the year. :)

You seem to have quite similar reading tastes to me looking at your list. I have read a few and a couple stood out for me as ones I particularly enjoyed: The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger, A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini, Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen and the Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse series.

Good luck making a dent in your TBR pile in 2011 :smile2:

Timoleon Vieta Come Home - Dan Rhodes

51-kA49PvxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU02_AA300_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

Meet the mongrel. Timoleon Vieta. A deeply loyal, undemanding and loving companion ...with the most beautiful eyes. He's living an idyllic existence in the Italian countryside with Cockroft, a composer in exile. Until, that is, the mysterious and malevolent Bosnian comes to stay. How will the stranger affect the bond between dog and master? Timoleon Vieta Come Home is a free-wheeling take on the Lassie legend, deeply moving and hysterically funny.

Review

My second book of the year was a very strange tale. I have read pretty much all of Rhodes work after stumbling across Gold last year and enjoying it immensely. When I saw this book for a £1 on the kindle store I snapped it up straight away.

I found the beginning of the book fairly slow going as we are introduced to the main characters of the story, all of which appear to be pretty flawed. The book is filled with Rhode's dark humour and like Little Hands Clapping I sometimes feelt it went a bit far.

I found the book much more enjoyable once Timoleon Vieta's journey begins. The structure from the book here on in is that a new character is introduced in every chapter and we learn about their life before they disappear from the book. Just like Gold this contains some wonderful characters, with some really amusing stories to tell. Some are better than others but they are all very entertaining and interesting.

At the end of the book I again feel Rhodes oversteps the mark in terms of his dark humor and description of violence, but I still enjoyed the book. It comes no where near reaching the heights of Gold but none of his other books have so far. He is an author I will continue to read, in the hope he can produce something as witty and entertaining as Gold once again.

8/10

Edited by tunn300

Am pressing ahead with my reading at great pace so far this year. Am currently just over half way through Darkly Dreaming Dexter and thoroughly enjoying it!

This is also my 3rd book read this year and I have only purchased 1 book for my Kindle, and that only after a strong recommendation by Ben (this excludes the books I bought for my new kindle over Christmas as I had an Amazon gift card). Maybe this will be the year I finally start to bring mount TBR under control.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay

51MI4scR%2BoL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

Dexter Morgan isn't exactly the kind of man you'd bring home to your mum. At heart, he's the perfect gentleman: he has a shy girlfriend, and seems to lead a quiet, normal life bordering on the mundane. Despite the fact that he can't stand the sight of blood, he works as a blood-spatter analyst for the Miami police. But Dexter also has a secret hobby: he is an accomplished serial killer. So far, he's killed 36 people and has never been caught because he knows exactly how to hide the evidence. And while that may lead some people to assume he's not such a nice guy, he tempers his insatiable hunger for brutality by only killing the bad guys. However, Dexter's well-organised life is suddenly disrupted when a second, much more visible serial killer appears in Miami. Intrigued that the other killer favours a style similar to his own, Dexter soon realises that the mysterious new arrival is not simply invading his turf but offering him a direct invitation to 'come out and play'...

Review

I bought this book as I had heard many good things about the TV show and also a few people on here talking about how good the books were. This book is the first in a series focusing on the character of Dexter, a blood splatter expert for the police and part-time serial killer.

The book is written from the perspective of Dexter and we learn a lot about his history throughout the book including a big reveal at the end that explains his characteristics. We also get to hear exactly what is going on his head throughout the story and this helps increase the tension in some of the more dramatic moments of the story.

I really like the character of Dexter and the whole premise behind the series. I think initially the main case being investigated in the story is a very interesting one, and the other characters are all well thought out and have a key role.

The book flows well and is very easy to read, I managed it in only a handful of sittings. However my major problem with it is the final third. I feel that some of the characters begin to act very out of turn and the plot is just far too convenient. I also felt it was very rushed and we actually don't hear from the main character exactly what happened in the final moments of the story but instead flash forward to a time some days later. I hope this is because it will be explained more in the next book.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and it was heading to be a 9/10 until the ending for me. I definitely will keep reading the series (though not yet, as I am trying to avoid buying more books) and will also look into the tv show. A promising start to what I think could develop into a fantastic series.

8/10

Hello tunn300, I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your first Dexter novel! I'm sorry you thought the ending was a bit rushed, but I think that quite often it is the case in thrillers and detective stories, everything starts going really rapidly and things get hectic and BAM! and then we've jumped ahead a couple of days where we get a nice clean explanation for everything (well sometimes). I'm glad it didn't put you off reading the rest of the series :)

Hi Tunn, that's an impressive reading list you have. I can definitely recommend Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese I read it last year & found it to be a bit of a slow burner but once I got into it I found it hard to put down.

Hello tunn300, I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your first Dexter novel! I'm sorry you thought the ending was a bit rushed, but I think that quite often it is the case in thrillers and detective stories, everything starts going really rapidly and things get hectic and BAM! and then we've jumped ahead a couple of days where we get a nice clean explanation for everything (well sometimes). I'm glad it didn't put you off reading the rest of the series :)

Hi Frankie, I agree that most thrillers do have a very quick, neat conclusion and maybe I am being a little harsh on the Dexter book. I think the rest of the book however had challenged so many other thriller stereotypes I was possibly expecting something similar for the ending. But it still was a great book and I will be reading the rest of the series soon.

How far have you got into the series?

Hi Tunn, that's an impressive reading list you have. I can definitely recommend Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese I read it last year & found it to be a bit of a slow burner but once I got into it I found it hard to put down.

Thanks Kidsmum. I got this book as I was watching the bookclub on More 4 last year and this was one of their titles. It certainly looks very appealing and based on your recommendation will bump it up my TBR.

Hi Frankie, I agree that most thrillers do have a very quick, neat conclusion and maybe I am being a little harsh on the Dexter book. I think the rest of the book however had challenged so many other thriller stereotypes I was possibly expecting something similar for the ending. But it still was a great book and I will be reading the rest of the series soon.

How far have you got into the series?

I've read all five Dexter novels and I've thoroughly enjoyed the series. Book number 3 was a bit of a disappointment, but Dexter came back strong in the 4th book and the 5th one was simply amazing, the best yet. I think now that you know what Dexter is about and that there might be times when Lindsay should be a bit more thorough for you liking, I'm hoping that you'll like the rest of the novels even more. I'm looking forward to seeing how you like them when you get to the later books :)

Room - Emma Donoghue

41NJJwpzwzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

It’s Jack’s birthday, and he’s excited about turning five.

Jack lives with his Ma in Room, which has a locked door and a skylight, and measures 11 feet by 11 feet. He loves watching TV, and the cartoon characters he calls friends, but he knows that nothing he sees on screen is truly real – only him, Ma and the things in Room. Until the day Ma admits that there's a world outside . . .

Review

I found this book to be utterly captivating. The story is told from the perspective of Jack, a five year old who as spent his whole life living in a single room with his mother. They are hostages to an evil man who has held Jack's mum captive for the last seven years.

It took me a little while to get used to the writing in this book as it is written as Jack and as he has limited experience of the outside world and is so young he often simply describes things, e.g. meltedy spoon, referring to his favourite spoon which was damaged by the stove. However once I became used to this it simply added even more charm to the story.

The story itself is heartbreaking and yet so uplifting. Jack is such a pleasant boy and his mum has raised him so well considering their circumstances. The characters are so believable and really draw you into their story. There are times of high emotion and action during the book but I don't want to ruin the plot for anybody.

I know this book has received a lot of critical praise but in my opinion is worth every bit of it. A truly captivating, emotional and thought provoking book. A must read and one I will definitely be enjoying again.

10/10

Great review Tunn, you have articulated how I felt about the book.

It would have been such a different book had it been from anyone else's perspective, and I thought it made the the revelations and action in the book feel as if a step removed from it all, which actually enhanced my sense of horror and repulsion and compassion.

Hello Tunn I'm glad you enjoyed Room, I've been thinking of buying it but hadn't got around to it but having read your review I'm going to Amazon to order it straight away! :D

Thanks Pipread, I hope you enjoy it!! It really is a fantastic book.

Great review of Room, Tunn! I've been seeing this title around so much lately that I had to look it up to see what all the fuss was about. I've since added it to my wish list. :)

Hope you pick it up at some stage Kylie as it is an excellent book.

:yeahthat: Lately it has seemed like everyone is reading this and they seem to have all enjoyed it. Thanks for the review tunn300, it's already on my wishlist but the feeling that I need to get the book has definitely increased because of you :yes:

Thanks Frankie, hope the book lives up to the expectations I have raised!!

Great review Tunn, you have articulated how I felt about the book.

It would have been such a different book had it been from anyone else's perspective, and I thought it made the the revelations and action in the book feel as if a step removed from it all, which actually enhanced my sense of horror and repulsion and compassion.

I think it really makes the book that we see the whole tragedy played out from an innocent child's perspective, I agree it makes it even more harrowing.

Great review on Room , I think I'll put this on my wishlist for Valentine's Day :)

Thanks, Hope you get it and enjoy it.

Coming Back To Me - Marcus Trescothick

51Ma-W%2BWLrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

A true-life sporting memoir of one of the best batsman in the game who stunned the cricket world when he prematurely ended his own England career. Trescothick's brave and soul-baring account of his mental frailties opens the way to a better understanding of the unique pressures experienced by modern-day professional sportsmen. At 29, Marcus Trescothick was widely regarded as one of the batting greats. With more than 5,000 Test runs to his name and a 2005 Ashes hero, some were predicting this gentle West Country cricket nut might even surpass Graham Gooch's record to become England's highest ever Test run scorer. But the next time Trescothick hit the headlines it was for reasons no one but a handful of close friends and colleagues could have foreseen. On Saturday 25 February 2006, four days before leading England into the first Test against India in place of the injured captain Vaughan, Trescothick was out for 32 in the second innings of the final warm-up match. As he walked from the field he fought to calm the emotional storm that was raging inside him, at least to hide it from prying eyes. In the dressing room he broke down in tears, overwhelmed by a blur of anguish, uncertainty and sadness he had been keeping at bay for longer than he knew. Within hours England's best batsman was on the next flight home. His departure was kept secret until after close of play when coach Duncan Fletcher told the stunned media his acting captain had quit the tour for 'personal, family reasons.' Until now, the full, extraordinary story of what happened that day and why, of what preceded his breakdown has never been told. He reveals for the first time that he almost flew home from the 2004 tour to South Africa -- of what caused it and of what followed -- his comeback to the England side and a second crushing breakdown nine months later that left him unable to continue the 2006-07 Ashes tour down under. Coming Back to Me replaces the myths and rumours with the truth as Trescothick talks with engaging openness and enthusiasm about his rise to the top of international cricket; and describes with equal frankness his tortured descent into private despair.

Review

This book is the autobiography of the Somerset and England Cricketer Marcus Trescothick. It covers his life growing up and breaking into the world of professional cricket, right through to his forced retirement through mental illness.

I found the book really interesting as a cricket fan as it showed the passion and desire to play cricket Trescothick but also the enormous strain playing at the top level can put you under. It is easy to sympathise with him throughout the book as he has to make choices between his family and essentially his job. He is very open in these sections and admits he sometimes made the wrong choice.

One of the main reasons for reading this book was to find out what happened to Marcus that caused him to retire from international cricket through depression. He deals with this issue in a very frank and open manner. His writing about the first onset of the depression in India and his return home from that tour is incredibly detailed and harrowing. Reading this book has helped me understand a lot more about depression and its effects on those that suffer from it.

Overall I found this an interesting book. Whilst the first third may be purely for fans of cricket I think anyone who suffers from depression or knows someone that does could get something from reading his account in the rest of the book.

8/10

My reading mojo is in full flow at the moment and I am flying through my TBR. However it is not decreasing at quite the rate I would like as I have purchased a few books after recommendations on here. (I knew this would happen)

I picked up The Killing Floor by Lee Child after reading Ben's review on it and after several people talked about Stephen Fry's books I felt I had to get Moab is my Washpot. I bought both of these for my kindle.

I also picked up Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes as it is the book circle book next month and I have wanted to get involved in these for a while.

So despite reading 5 books so far this year my TBR has only actually only decreased by 2. Never mind!!

Have made a start on The Last 10 Seconds by Simon Kernick and am about 35% through. very similar to his other novels so far, very fast paced, with lots of twist and turns. His books are an easy read but one I always enjoy.

Picked up another of the Richard and Judy recommended reads too. I like the look of Major Pettigrew by Helen Simonson, downloaded the sample to my kindle and enjoyed it so picked up the full version.

Edited by tunn300

The Last 10 Seconds - Simon Kernick

51Dm0RGPXzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

36 HOURS AGO

A brutal serial killer is arrested on the streets of north London after a two-year reign of terror. Known as the Night Creeper, he's earned his reputation by torturing five young women to death.

24 HOURS AGO

Undercover cop Sean Egan has infiltrated one of the country's most notorious criminal gangs. Now he's about to risk his life in a desperate bid to bring its members to justice.

12 HOURS AGO

DI Tina Boyd has discovered that the Night Creeper's murders are part of a much larger criminal conspiracy. But her quest for the truth has brought her into contact with some very dangerous people who want to silence her - permanently.

THE LAST 10 SECONDS

A man, a woman, a sadistic killer. As they race towards a terrifying confrontation only one thing is certain: they're all going to have to fight very hard just to stay alive.

Review

Simon Kernick is an author whose previous work I have read all of. His books are very similar in that they are are all incredibly fast paced, easy to read and in my opinion have excellent twists and suspense along the way.

In this book we again join with Tina Boyd for much of the story and it certainly does help if you have read his other books as she refers back to past cases in many parts of the book. The book is written slightly differently to many of his others in that between chapters we flick between two characters who eventually realise their stories are intertwined. When dealing with Tina Kernick writes in the third person as he usually does but for Sean's chapters we see everything in first person. I think this makes it interesting, especially when the two characters meet and we get two versions of the event.

The story is typically Kernick in that we have police trying desperately to piece together a very strange crime, with limited information and time. We learn more about Tina here than in any previous books I feel and I think she may well be a character Kernick sticks with for some time. Mike Bolt however does make a small return in this book.

If you a fan of Kernick you will certainly enjoy this book. If you are not I highly recommend him as an author but suggest you start with his previous work or much of this book may be lost on you.

9/10