Inver's Reading List 2011

Inver

'The Sound of Waves' by Yukio Mishima

This lovely wee book was sent to me by the lovely Paula (Weave) as a wee cheer me up. Thank you for allowing me to read this gentle story of first love between Shinji and Hatsue. Love is never straightforward, especially when you are very young. The pair are smitten, but it takes time for them to be allowed to speak to each other, villagers gossip about them and they seek to find a way to be together. It all comes together in the end.

4/5

'Blackbird House' by Alice Hoffman

I have read other Alice Hoffman, but this was a bit different it being a series of short stories interlinked with the 'Blackbird House', spanning 100yrs and those who lived in it. Some of the early chapters I found a struggle to understand their point at times, then on to another chapter in the history of those who lived in the house. I found the latter chapters more enjoyable, but did find the ends of each chapter a bit 'unfinished' and...what was the point of the story! It did have the feel of a 'fairytale' about it. I didn't entirely dislike it, but not one I would go back to.

3/5

• 1 month later...

'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett

I had heard a lot about the book and bought it ages ago. Eventually got around to reading it and should have finished it sooner than I did. I was prompted on as the film is now out and wanted to go see it.

It was a great read, great characters good and bad (well more annoying than anything) and she wrote this well. It really made you aware of the difficult times that were had by 'the help' way back then. It was a brave thing to do by Skeeter bringing a book together with tales of the lives of 'the help' in Jackson Mississippi, 1962.

Looking forward to seeing the film now.

4/5

• 3 weeks later...

'Before I Go To Sleep' by S J Watson

Sent to me by Chrissy via Michelle.

What a great read. Chrissy goes to sleep each night and wakes up every day with no memories of her past, her name or her identity. With the use of a journal and writing about what she has done that day, she can only know by reading it tomorrow what she has done etc. This is no way to live and she wants to find out what happened and how she ended up like this. Who can you trust to ask about your life and is the man who says is your husband telling the truth or keeping secrets from you to protect you. Intriguing right to the end. I really didn't know how it was going to finish and very much a page-turning read. Also says it may be turned in to a film, would definitely like to see it if it happens

4/5

Edited by Inver

• 4 weeks later...

'Minding Frankie' by Maeve Binchy

I usually enjoy Maeve Binchy and this one didn't disappoint. An array of lovely characters as always and all based around 'minding Frankie' the baby. Born into an unusual family when her mother dies just after giving birth. She knows this is going to happen and she wants to find someone to take care of the baby and contacts Noel, who she believes may be the best choice. Others come together to help out and here develops the story of how they all cope and relationships grow each with their own tale to tell.

A nice easy read.

4/5

• 3 weeks later...