Ian's reading 2011

ian

First book of the year - actually been reading it since Christmas day - "The girl with the Dragon tattoo" by Stieg Larrson.

I've had the set of three, so the next two entries won't come as much of a surprise to anyone!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm about two chapters from the end. Loving it! Especially glad I've got em as I've been stuck in with a chest infection over Christmas!

Happy reading for the year Ian, I have 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' waiting to be read, I will get around to it, looking forward to your review :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished "The girl who played with fire" Wow, that last chapter! Can't wait to het home so I can start on "The Girl who kicked the hornets nest"

Ian

I also started "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" on Christmas day, Ian; I also have the next two on my shelf's waiting. I have also seen all three films. I don't usually watch the films first, but I did in this case.

The book was fantastic and I really enjoyed it. A good long plotted book, just what I like. I might even read it again before I read the other two.

Roger

• 3 weeks later...

Finsihed "The girl who kicked the hornet's nest". I could argue that the ending is a bit contrived, or that I doubt that Swedish court rooms would allow some of the shenanigans that go on in the book (then again, what do I know about Swedish court rooms?)

But these were minor points that didn't in any way stop me enjoying these books.

Books read this year = 3

Finished "The Codex" by Douglas Preston.

Picked this up in the coffee room at work. I knew I was going to have some difficultly finding something satisfying to read after the Steig Larsson marathon. So, I decided to play it safe with somevthing that looked like a load of rubbish! The cover and synopsis on the back led me to beleive this was going to be a bit of Dan Brown copy. That did turn out to be correct; the story centres around three brothers who go in search of their father's tomb to retrive their inheritence. Think Dan Brown writing an Indiana Jones story.

That's slightly unfair. The description of the jungle is well told, and it's obvious the author has some first hand experience. The narrative tootles along at a fast pace, with plenty of action. But no surprises.

Books read = 4

Next - "The Collaborator" by Gerald Seymour

• 3 weeks later...

Finished The Collaborator.

See elswhere for my review, but I did eventually enjoy it!

Books read this year = 5

Now onto "Close Range" Annie Proulx

Finished "Close Range".

Books read this year = 6

Now starting "The woman in white" - Wilkie Collins.

Need to get a shift on, I borrowed both of these from the library and they need to be back by the 31st Think I bit off more than I could chew here!

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Phew! After a marathon reading session late last night, I've finished "The woman in white". Excellent read and my first Wilkie Collins, so I shall have to get hold of some more. I would have preferred to have read it a little more slowly, but it has to go back to the library Wednesday!

I have a couple of choices for my next read, but I may leave off until I have been to the library, as I will undoubtedly pick something really long that I will need to start right away to guarantee finishing before THAT has to go back!

Books read = 7

Isn't that just the worst thing about libraries .. the pressure they put you under to finish and return books (ok, you can renew but I'm terrible at remembering to do it.)

Glad you enjoyed 'The Woman in White' Ian, I have it on my shelves somewhere (and 'the Moonstone') .. must get around to reading it.

I can't recommend it enough, Poppyshake. Reading the notes about the author at the front, I see that Wilkie Collins was a comtemporary of Charles Dickens and this was published around the same time as A tale of two cities. Have to say, having read both, TWIW was better.

Next book chosen - Life of Pi - Yann Martel

Superb choice - it's a great book. :)

I couldn't agree more :D

As for the library thing, I just had to lol at that :lol: I do that all the time.

I want to start reading something I bought, but I keep postponing it because I need to finish the library books first.

Turns out I read less of the books I'm excited about (with a reason) than those I've just randomly stumbled upon in the library (and might not like).

Life, eh...

Finished "Life of Pi" although I think I may be pondering the ending for a while yet!

Books read this year = 8

Next

The Whisperers by John Connolly

• 2 weeks later...

Finished The Whisperers.

Not bad, but I thought that towards the end the different elements of the story didn't really go together, so the ending was a little rushed. Wouldn't stop me reading other books by him though.

Books read so far = 9

After a false start with a Phillipa Gregory novel, I'm now reading;

The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly

• 2 weeks later...

Finished The Poet in a marathon reading session yesterday. Had to take my son (9) to a Chess final at Worcester Uni and wasn't allowed to leave him or watch him play! So, reading from 10-4pm.

I won't bother reviewing The Poet, as it's an oldish book that has probably been reviewed many times before, other than to say I enjoyed it very much.

Books read = 11

Next book - "Up a tree in a park at night with a hedgehog" by P.Robert Smith

Finished The Poet in a marathon reading session yesterday. Had to take my son (9) to a Chess final at Worcester Uni and wasn't allowed to leave him or watch him play! So, reading from 10-4pm.

I won't bother reviewing The Poet, as it's an oldish book that has probably been reviewed many times before, other than to say I enjoyed it very much.

Books read = 11

Next book - "Up a tree in a park at night with a hedgehog" by P.Robert Smith

Now that's what I call bliss ... six hours of uninterrupted reading :D

I must say that title sounds intriguing, what's the book about ?

Poppy - that is exactly what I thought when I saw it in the library. I picked it simply because I liked the title. Because I was in a hurry, and I already had two other books, I didn't bother opening it to read the first few lines.

This was a mistake.

So, having 6 hours of uninterupted reading WOULD have been good, if I'd had a good book to read for the entire 6 hours. As it was, having finished The Poet at about lunchtime, I only had this to read.

As you can probably tell - I didn't enjoy it!

Ian

Books read = 12