A book blog by Books Do Furnish a Room 2011

The last blog seems to have been locked; possibly a new year thing. So I'll start again. I've just finished a biography of Anthony Burgess by Roger Lewis and here are my thoughts;

I struggled with this book; I'm no great fan of Burgess for quite a few of the reasons Lewis rails against him, but this book is difficult to read and Lewis is not ambivalent about Burgess. This was heading for one out of ten until near the end when I realised how much of Lewis's life was bound up with Burgess and how the seemingly obvious hatred is maybe more over-familiarity. I think if I knew as much about Burgess as Lewis does I might feel the same way. The biographical detail is well-scattered and this is not traditional biography. I do wonder what I have gained from reading it. However, as I said there are odd flashes of inspiration from Lewis which hint at a deeper understanding and even empathy with his subject which made me change the score rating I have given it. Burgess himself was clearly rather unpleasant (especially in relation to the women in his life) and a blatant self-publicist. However I wonder if the real problem here is that Burgess is not the person Lewis wanted (or even once believed) him to be. Not an easy read.

5 out of 10

I always like to have one biography on the go and am starting William Pitt the Younger by William Hague

Edited by Books do furnish a room

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have read Winter Ghosts over the last two days;

This is not a hefty tome like Kate Mosse's previous novels; in reality it is a novella and I read it in two sittings. As I haven't read her previous works I didn't have any preconceptions about this. Past and present are woven together well and the ghost story is redolent of M R James. The themes of love and loss are central and the setting is post WW1. Freddie is mourning his older brother who died in the war; the exploration of male grief is very interesting and poignant. the resolution and working out of the story is satisfying and despite the sadness I was left with a warm feeling. A bit of historical knowledge about the Cathars doesn't go amiss. Lovely book for a winter night.

8 out of 10

I'm starting The Siege of Krishnapur by J G Farrell

It's ok Janet; I'm quite happy to start again and make this a yearly thing!

I have just finished Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kinsolver;

This is the sequel to The Bean Trees, but it stands alone. The story concerns a cherokee child being raised outside her tribe after being given away. All the characters are portrayed with great sympathy and are entirely believeable. The conflict centres around whether Turtle (the child) is better off with her adopted mother; whom she adores or with her tribe and heritage. The story is so well written that both sides arguments are plausible and passionately argued. The resolution is satisfying and illuminating. The main negative is that I would have liked more and felt it could have been a much longer book without losing anything; but maybe I'm being greedy. There is a warmth and humour here that I found very attractive and I will read more by this author; 8 ot of 10.

Starting something completely different; Dark Debts by Karen Hall.

I've just finished a biography of Anthony Burgess by Roger Lewis and here are my thoughts;

I struggled with this book; I'm no great fan of Burgess for quite a few of the reasons Lewis rails against him, but this book is difficult to read and Lewis is not ambivalent about Burgess. This was heading for one out of ten until near the end when I realised how much of Lewis's life was bound up with Burgess and how the seemingly obvious hatred is maybe more over-familiarity. I think if I knew as much about Burgess as Lewis does I might feel the same way. The biographical detail is well-scattered and this is not traditional biography. I do wonder what I have gained from reading it. However, as I said there are odd flashes of inspiration from Lewis which hint at a deeper understanding and even empathy with his subject which made me change the score rating I have given it. Burgess himself was clearly rather unpleasant (especially in relation to the women in his life) and a blatant self-publicist. However I wonder if the real problem here is that Burgess is not the person Lewis wanted (or even once believed) him to be. Not an easy read.

5 out of 10

Thanks for your very interesting review on the biography of Anthony Burgess, Paul! I found the part in your review that I've bolded intriguing and one of the reasons why I've decided to read the book. Your realisation, is it something that was revealed in the book itself or did you find out about something through your own research? Don't tell me what it was exactly, I'd like to find out myself. It's rather curious that Lewis should write a biography about a person he doesn't seem to like himself, I would think that a biography writer should be neutral in their opinion about the person they're writing about.

I've only read Clockwork Orange myself but I liked it. However, I read somewhere that Burgess himself hated the fact that he is mostly known for that particular book eventhough he's written so many other novels. I've never liked him for some reason, and I think the biography would make a really interesting read. So thanks again for the review :)

Interesting reviews Books do.. I am always interested in other people's insights and it sounds like Lewis is almost obsessed but ultimately incredibly disappointed :)

Hi Frankie; in relation to the Burgess book, I only changed my view in the epilogue at the end and nearly gave up several times before I got there!! Lewis knew Burgess for many years and as a young man seemed to have had a high opinion of him (the footnotes in the biography are very illuminating). Lewis is also an academic and the level of scrutiny he puts his subjects under would expose the flaws in any character. This isn't the reason I changed my mind (you didn't want to know that!) but was all part of the picture.

Interestingly Lewis did a similar hatchet job on peter Sellers (haven't read that one though). He has also written about Charles Hawtrey in a book called The man who was Private Widdle; rather bizarre!

• 2 weeks later...

I feel I'm about to commit a mortal sin here; but this is my review of Life of Pi;

I wanted to like this book and I quite enjoyed the first part; particularly the flirting with the major religions. However after the ship sank I felt increasing irritation with the storyline and the floating menagerie. Some of the descriptions of survival were very tedious. I know it's probably supposed to be a parable and the alternative ending is clever and I'm supposed to suspend belief but I really couldn't. I can manage it with The wind in the Willows or Lord of the Rings and be entertained, but not with this. I'm not sure why. As it went on I kept hoping the tiger would eat him; sadly he didn't. I'm glad I read it, but not sure what all the fuss was about.

4 out of 10

Just starting Briefing for a Descent into Hell by Doris Lessing

Just finished Dark Debts by karen Hall;

Where to start? It's a book about Demon possession in the Exorcist tradition. It's about the sins of the fathers/grandfathers being visited on the children. It's also rather earnest with a good smattering of violence.

Some spoilers coming up here; One of the female characters (Randa) discovers her ex boyfriend has killed himself after killing someone and finds out there is a family history. She tracks down last remaining brother to return photographs. He is dangerous and interesting. Do they end up in bed? (What do you think??!!)

Meanwhile a disillusioned and rebellious Jesuit with a girlfriend and a guilty conscience(did I mention rebellious), is struggling with belief.

Enter the demon into both sets of lives ... wait for collision.

Does good triumph over evil (Again; what do you think?!!)

Well written but complete tripe.

What also annoyed me that 2 minor characters died horribly at the hands of one of the main characters while the demon was in control. This is apparently ok and the police were deceived and justice avoided because the police would not have believed the story. This left a nasty taste in the mouth; murder is justified because the devil made me do it.

Am I getting picky in my old age; there were more holes in the plot than a sieve.

2 out of 10

Just starting Romanitas by Sophia MacDougall

As it went on I kept hoping the tiger would eat him; sadly he didn't.

:giggle:

I'll be interested in your thoughts on this one. Have you read anything else by Doris Lessing? I certainly hope you enjoy it more than you did Life of Pi. ;)

Kylie; this is my first Doris Lessing; I have every hope it will be better than The Life of Pi!!!

I have finished Marion Fay by Trollope;

Not one of Trollope's better known books, but I enjoyed it and there is more to it than meets the eye. It deals in part with consumption (we can forget it was incurable at the time and it's effect has been compared to the AIDS epidemic). It also deals with love and marraige between classes and here Trollope does push the boundaries. Class is important in English history and Trollope toys with class sensibilities. It deals with radicalism in the upper classes and conservatism in the lower middle classes; with jealousy and hatred and is centred around two love stories. The characters are not one dimesional and they all have their faults and irritations and you want to give onr or other of them a good talking to at regular intervals.

On the whole this is a good read and deserves to be better known.

8 out of 10

I am starting The Franchise Affair by Josephine Tey

Just to add to the above review; there is a very good portrayal of grief in a man; unusual because it is written by a man in times when showing emotions was somewhat frowned on in men.

Incidentally can anyone tell me how to quote from another post in those nice green boxes? I'm a bit useless with computers!!

I feel I'm about to commit a mortal sin here; but this is my review of Life of Pi;

I wanted to like this book and I quite enjoyed the first part; particularly the flirting with the major religions. However after the ship sank I felt increasing irritation with the storyline and the floating menagerie. Some of the descriptions of survival were very tedious. I know it's probably supposed to be a parable and the alternative ending is clever and I'm supposed to suspend belief but I really couldn't. I can manage it with The wind in the Willows or Lord of the Rings and be entertained, but not with this. I'm not sure why. As it went on I kept hoping the tiger would eat him; sadly he didn't. I'm glad I read it, but not sure what all the fuss was about.

4 out of 10

No mortal sin whatsoever.

I hated that book, and my main reason was I was promised something at the beginning of the book and that promise wasn't delivered.

I wish the tiger had eaten him, too. :lol:

4 out of 10

Haha, I'm sorry to hear you didn't like it (or Pixie :D ), I just adore that book.

But it just shows how different we are, what we expect from a book, and what it turns out to be (to us, personally).

Soo many opinions - just one book!

(Slightly off topic - Pixie, now I'm afrraid you won't like The Sea, The Sea either, since you seem to hate all of the books I love :lol:

Now you at least know what not to read xD kidding)

(Slightly off topic - Pixie, now I'm afrraid you won't like The Sea, The Sea either, since you seem to hate all of the books I love :lol:

Now you at least know what not to read xD kidding)

Nuh uh. We both loved Flowers For Algernon. See? :D:friends3:

Incidentally can anyone tell me how to quote from another post in those nice green boxes? I'm a bit useless with computers!!

If you want to quote just one post, you can click the 'Reply' box directly under (and to the right) of the post you want to quote. If you want to quote multiple posts, click the 'MultiQuote' button under each post you want to quote, and then click 'Add Reply' at the bottom of the screen.

I hope that helps. :)

I have finished The Cider House Rules and here are my thoughts;

I loved this book; it is thoughtful, intense and moving with some very humourous moments. The characters are real, flawed, believeable and Irving makes you care about them. The pro-life, pro-choice debate is well handled as are the other hefty topics like being in love with two people, family, betrayal, the nature of home and belonging and the brutality of life.

There are graphic scenes in it and in the middle of the book a couple of the minor characters disappear rather suddenly. These are however minor quibbles. I will certainly be reading more Irving; if his other books are this good then in the pantheon of American novelists he will be close to Philip Roth (for me that is saying a lot)

One of the minor characters Melony for me was the most haunting and the most honest and puts the whole book in perspective at the end. there is also a quote relating to her by Dr Larch which I loved;

"Dr. Larch pointed out that Melony had taken Jane Eyre with her; he accepted this as a hopeful sign- wherever Melony went, she would not be without guidance, she would not be without love, without faith; she had a good book with her. If only she'll keep reading it, and reading it, Larch thought"

Nine out of ten.

I have started The Night Watch by Sarah Waters

Edited by Books do furnish a room

Finally finished Middlemarch :)

What can I say about Middlemarch; the whole is greater than the sum of the parts because the subject matter is small town life and mundane everyday stuff. However the characters are believeable and all of life is there. It is very well written and holds the attention. On the surface some of the characters are irritating, but that's life.

My main quibble was the last chapter; I wish she had left it out!! I feel the book did not need a chapter at the end which explains how the characters got on in the years ahead. The ending would have had more punch without it. Do others feel the same way? Or is it just me, I didn't want to know as it leaves more to the imagination. I liked this book much more than The Mill on the Floss.

I scored it 8 out of 10.

I'm now starting the first of the Palliser novels by Trollope; Can You Forgive Her?I intend to read them in order! I hope to finish before I retire.

I have finished The Siege of Krishnapur by J G Farrell

This is an excellent read and captures well the British in India in the nineteenth century with historical accuracy. There is great wit and humour in the book and some genuinely funny moments; however it is also a very brutal book with some grim scenarios. It captures well the British approach to empire in the characters of those caught in the siege and watching their gradual deterioration physically and mentally is fascinating. One of the characters has many antiques and artifacts from the Great Exhibition, which to him represent the future, rationalism and progress. Towards the end of the siege they are broken apart and used as cannon shot to fire at the natives/sepoys; a very clever reflection on modernity and progress. The changing role and perception of the women is very interesting and the futility of religion is well represented by the rather bizarre figure of the padre. A very stimulating read.

Jane Austen meets Lord of the Flies!!

I am starting Room by Emma Donoghue

I read Middlemarch quite a few years ago so I can't really remember the last chapter but I know I really enjoyed it, the BBC also did an excellent adaptation of it as well. Have you read any Mrs Gaskell? You might enjoy Cranford as you liked Middlemarch :)

I'd be interested to hear what you think of The Palliser Novels I've got Can you Forgive Her? & The Duke's Children on my TBR pile & intend to read them when I've got the whole series. If you haven't already read The Barchester Chronicles I'd definitely recommend them.

Completed Romanitas by Sophia McDougall;

This is a thriller set in the Roman Empire; in the present day. It never fell and is one of three world empires; Rome being the biggest. Technology has progressed in some areas (electricity, cars, a form of TV) but possibly not in others (flight?0. There is still an emperor and slavery is still in existence. Against this backdrop there is intrigue in the Royal family and the heir to the throne and his wife die in a car crash.

An interesting idea, but there were too many gaps for my liking and limited explanation. However there is a good thriller type storyline. The characters were not one-dimensional, but were underdeveloped and jumps were made which did not make sense to me. If you like historical fiction with a twist; then this is for you. Will I read the second one; probably, but not yet.

Six and a half out of ten.

I am starting "even the dogs" by Jon Mcgregor

Finished Room by Emma Donoghue;

This book does seem to polarize and people seem to love or hate it. The premise is a good one and cleverly set up and I felt it was a sound attempt at looking at a tragic and brutal situation. It has been well publicized so I'm going to assume you know the story.

I'm not sure that the author does capture the voice of a five year old that well; this 5 year old I feel is too sophisticated. Five year olds are wonderful, but a whole book written by one would be hard work and this wasn't. Despite that the descriptions of Room and life in it are well worked and realistic. The second half struggled a little because the scope was too big and the characters less believeable. Despite that it is worth reading and is a testament to have human beings cope with adversity. A study of surviving evil through the eyes of a child.

7 out of 10

I've begun The Help by Kathryn Stockett on the recommendation of my wife.