Michelle's Blog.. Jan - June 2007

Michelle

Raven Hart - The Vampire's Secret

Excellent sequel.. review to follow.

Susan Hill - The Woman in Black

Atmospheric classic ghost story. Review.

Katherine Warwick - Wilde

Although not my favourite, another well written offering from our KW :roll:

Leslie Schwartz - Angels Crest

Started well, but dragging in the middle. I'm afraid I'm giving up, although I may return to it.

Thomas Harris - Hannibal Rising

To be honest, I can't decide what I think of this one.... good story, but there's something about the style I don't get on with.

Carole Matthews - A Whiff of Scandal

Light, funny read, that has you cheering for the main charcters at the end! Review.

Carole Matthews - The Chocolate Lovers Club

This was a good read, very enjoyable. See review. ;)

Katherine Warwick - Overprotected

A not yet published manuscript, well worth looking out for when it is!

JD Robb - Innocent in Death

An improvement on recent books, nice to see Eve being 'human'!

Carol Matthews - Welcome to the Real World

Yet another fun book from Carole! Review to follow.

Ronlyn Domingue - The Mercy of Thin Air

A fascinating debut - review and interview with the author.

Jed Rubenfeld - The Interpretation of Murder

Difficult to follow at times, but a great setting, and having Freud and psychoanalysis involves adds an interest slant.

Kevin Brockmeier - The Brief History of the Dead

One of my favourite books this year, with a wonderful simplicity, and a story you won't want to put down. Review.

Maggie O'Farrell - The Distance Between Us

Mixed reviews on Amazon for this one, but I'm so glad I read it. Review

Jospeh Delaney - The Spook's Apprentice

Obviously a teen book, but a great start to a series, and hooks you straight in!

Stephen Booth - Black Dog

A good start to a crime series, interesting main characters.

Jennifer Laurens - Nailed / Magic Hands

Two fun YA books from our own KW.

Maggie O'Farrell - The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox

I LOVE this author.. another spell-binding story.. and what an ending!

Margaret Atwood - The Robber Bride

Although I did enjoy what I read, I put it down about half way through.. not sure if I'll pick it up again.

Michael Crichton - Next

Another one that got put down half way through.. it seemed rather pointless.

Kate Harrison - Brown Owl's Guide to Life

A new author for me, and a great find. I really enjoyed this one.

Joseph Delaney - The Spook's Curse

Book 2 from an enjoyable, easy to read series.

Michael Connolly - The Book of Lost Things

Jumping from humour to gruesome.. a great take on fairy tales, and books that talk to you!

Clive Barker - The Thief of Always

Short and unusual.. just what I needed!

Kim Edwards - The Memory Keeper's Daughter

Beautifully written, fascinating story, stays with you.

Joseph Delaney - The Spook's Secret

The series continues.. looking forward to the next.

Kate Harrison - The Starter Marriage

An interesting look at surviving divorce, with Kate's usual humour.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed The Woman In Black, even though I didn't find it scary.. it's more of a classic ghost story, and is very well written.

The Vampire's Secret was just excellent (I'm trying hard not to write fang-tastic! ;)), and I can hardly wait for book three!

I've started a couple of books which aren't really holding me, and I just don't feel in the right mood for our Reading Circle book. Wilde arrived today, from our own KW, and I felt pulled to it when I needed to read in the car, waiting for Beth!

So who knows where this will lead....! :roll:

Well, despite having LOADS of books, not one is jumping out at me, and saying "read me"! So, I decided to look through some that have been there for ages, and I went for 'Angels Crest' by Leslie Schwartz.

Of course, now I've started it, my James Herbert book is starting to call.... :D

Erm.. I'm halfway through Angel's Crest, I did read the beginning of my James Herbert one, but it didn't grab me enough to carry on just yet, I've read a little of Magic Hands (;))... but I'm also halfway through Hannibal Rising, which came from the library, and has a long list waiting for it!

Well, you did ask! lol

I'm all over the place right now! :friends0:

Angel's Crest started off really well, but the middle is dragging. And with so much to do and read, I don't feel the pull to carry on with it.

Hannibal Rising... a mixed reaction to this one, and I think I'll start a thread for it at some point.

I've also read Carole Matthew's A Whiff of Scandal, which I enjoyed.. review to follow.

Yesterday I started Wicked.. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't what I read! lol I think I need to be in a different frame of mind for it, so I shall return at a later point.

I then decided I needed something light... but picked up Jodi Picoult's Perfect Match! (Not sure what my brain was thinking there! lol) The first few chapters have certainly grabbed me!

I'm picking up Ronlyn Domingue's The Mercy of Thin Air from the library later, which I want to read before interviewing her..

There are two strands: first the story of Razi Nolan, growing up in New Orleans in the 1920s, smart, fearless, set on breaking the comfortable family mould by making a career as a doctor. Then she falls in love with Andrew O'Connell and her plans become complicated. She is never able to tell Andrew what she has decided about her future as, one summer morning, she accidentally drowns. By choice, and from where she narrates, she stays between this world and the unknown; every memory of her life remains perfectly intact. More than seventy years later, Razi finds Andrew's once-treasured bookcase at a garage sale. She watches a young couple take it home, Amy and Scott, burdened with secrets of their own. As their once close relationship unravels, Razi remembers her past with Andrew and how she comes to understand what their love ultimately taught her, how he coped after her death, and how the story of Amy and Scott reflects so much of her own.

• 2 weeks later...