Ben's Reading 2011

Ben

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff Ben :)

Pretty disappointed I have only read seven books but that will pick up I'm sure. You got any favourites so far?

Hi Ben,

The Rembrandt Secret sounds really good, I'll have to look out for that one. :)

In reply to your question about Hell Gate, I read it ages ago but I've really enjoyed all the Linda Fairstein books I've read so far, so I'd say give it a go and hope you enjoy it. :friends0:

Hi Ben,

The Rembrandt Secret sounds really good, I'll have to look out for that one. :)

In reply to your question about Hell Gate, I read it ages ago but I've really enjoyed all the Linda Fairstein books I've read so far, so I'd say give it a go and hope you enjoy it. :friends0:

Hey thanks I'll be sure to pop Hell Gate up my to-be-read pile, thanks for the recommendation. :friends0:

• 5 weeks later...

Ooh what's this dusty corner.. oh that's right, reading news. Unfortunately I haven't had much of that recently, as I've been pretty busy with college. However, I have finished a couple of books recently; including one that I read in one setting yesterday in the summer sunshine.

The Whole Truth. - David Baldacci.

Thoughts

Well this was my first Baldacci, and despite a few people saying it wasn't one of his best, I thought I'd crack on with it anyway. I wasn't disappointed. It was a good read; fast-paced, full of action, and the different threads of relationships through the characters, were just great. Agent Shaw is fantastic; strong, resolute, and will do anything to fight for the one he loves. He's learnt the art of survival, how to look after himself with the odds stacked against him, and it stands him in good stead when getting out of a good scrape. However, his line of work is dangerous and he is unable to retire and concentrate on the love of his life; a hold over him that he can't shake free. Elsewhere a man turns the world against each other; an international disaster and nobody can stop him as the world spirals out of control. Ambitious journalist Katie James is also caught up in events, even if she does have her own demons to wrestle with. I enjoyed the twists and turns which kept me guessing right until the end. Is it too late for the world on the eve of a new Cold War? Read this fantastic thriller to see for yourself.

4/5.

Caught. - Harlan Coben.

Thoughts

This was another first; my first Coben, and I'm certainly impressed by what I've read. The mere fact that I read this one sitting is tribute to the pace of the novel, and the hold it has over a reader; captivating and exhilarating. A young girl gone missing without a trace; a man accused of paedophilia, forced into hiding; a television reporter caught up in something she could have never imagined. Coben writes with such brilliance; twists and turns that just when you think they have stopped, continue to shock and surprise as you flick the pages. His language doesn't just capture the reader, it's thought-provoking as well. Not everything is as it seems, and it's difficult to know who can be trusted. Everyone has their motives, and someone wants to see those around them crash and burn. If you enjoy a cracking thriller that has you questioning throughout, grab this when you can.

5/5.

Hi Ben, how are you?

'Caught' sounds good, Harlan Corben is one author, whose books I keep meaning to read. :)

The Rembrandt Secret sounds great, I have to add it to my wish list :blush: Thanks for the review, Ben! :)

Glad you liked it; lovely author as well, had the pleasure of talking to her, and I was surprised she took time out to speak to me.

Hi Ben, how are you?

'Caught' sounds good, Harlan Corben is one author, whose books I keep meaning to read. :)

I'm great thanks Paula, how are you doing?

Yeah Caught was fantastic and I'll definitely be having a look out for some of his other stuff for sure.

Edited by Ben

Wow, how did that happen? Where did you meet her?

Didn't meet her unfortunately, sorry should have worded it differently. I spoke to her on the phone as we sent each other a few emails and I said it'd be nice to ask her a few questions.

Edited by Ben

It's still very cool, and extremely nice of her, no matter whether it was a live conversation or on the phone! :cool:

She's nice and said she liked my review, so was chuffed about that. :lol:

Hi Ben! Life does have an irritating habit of getting in the way of reading, doesn't it? :lol:

Glad to see you've managed to find some time with a book now, though, and hope you have a good holiday with a bit more reading time to come - at least until you have to get your nose back on that grindstone for the final push towards your exams!

Hey Chesil unfortunately it does eh; one of the main reasons I'm looking forward to a summer free to read as much a I like, hopefully without pesky life interruptions. :giggle:

Thanks for the well wishes; I'm breaking up this Friday for two weeks, which should be a welcome break but will most likely already be a start on revision. I have six exams in summer, one only about a month and a bit away, so I have no doubt it'll creep up on me before I know it. Ah well, the 21st of June is the date for my diary, as it'll be all over no matter what by then.

Edited by Ben

• 3 weeks later...

Well, not much time for reading recently, what with the revision. Incidentally, I did finish The Great Gatsby once more, for revision; a novel which gets better with every re-read. Despite this lack of leisurely reading, I reasoned that yesterday I could take the time out to get myself Scorpia Rising; the ninth instalment of the Alex Rider series, which I've been waiting for. I missed it's release date, clearly, but managed to pick it up yesterday morning whilst in town.

Scorpia Rising. - Anthony Horowitz.

Thoughts:

In the early hours of this morning, I finished. As with the other books in the series I absolutely fired through it, and it's usual fast pace whipped the pages along nicely. Interestingly enough, I actually thought this was one of the best yet; in all fairness Anthony Horowitz managed lots of twists and turns that I certainly wasn't expecting. He also wrapped up the conclusion fantastically and emotionally, and unlike the end of most series', I was definitely impressed with this one. I could write a massive, more in-depth review, but I quite frankly don't have the time. However, I would recommend this series to anyone that enjoys quick-paced books with lots of action, lots of gadgets, and a young teenage spy who I feel has developed magnificently over the last ten years of these books coming out.

5/5.

Edited by Ben

• 1 month later...

So here's a lonely and dust-ridden thread; no books read since I last posted well over a month ago. Thankfully, the exam period is over and I will have time to read something other than revision books once more, and quite frankly I am very excited about the books I have waiting on my shelves. Over this summer I intend to read a lot, both classic and contemporary in order to extend my reading and ultimately get myself into reading again, as over the past two years I've taken to not reading as much: I used to read relentlessly. In any case, I hope to be back on everyone's reading threads soon enough, and to be posting reviews here and on my blog once more; watch this space.

Look forward to it Ben :) Hope you have a lovely, long, battery charging, summer of reading.

Hey Poppyshake, as am I. Thank you, I hope your summer is full of sunshine and enjoyable reads also.

Love In The Time Of Cholera. - Gabriel Garciá Márquez.

Synopsis:

'It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love.' Fifty-one years, nine months and four days have passed since Fermina Daza rebuffed hopeless romantic Florentino Arizo's impassioned advances and married Dr. Juvenal Urbino instead. During that half century, Florentino has fallen into the arms of many delighted women, but has loved none but Fermina. Having sworn his eternal love to her, he lives for the day when he can court her again. When Fermina's husband is killed trying to retrieve his pet parrot from a mango tree, Florentino seizes his chance to declare his enduring love. But can young love find new life in the twilight of their lives?

I started this wonderfully charming book last night, somewhat fittingly by candlelight, as the electric in my house was off for around five hours. In any case, I'm a mere fifty or so pages in but this fantastic novel has already piqued my attention with its ambiguous story-line, coupled with moments which make you chuckle aloud. Has anyone else read this? I'm quite sure I'm going to enjoy it.

Edited by Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so like a few others have been doing, I'm going to attempt the list of questions about books, throughout this month.

Day 01 – Best book you read last year

The best book I read last year has to be The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde no less. This was the first time I had read it, and when I read it on holiday I knew I had read one of my all time favourites. Wilde's writing style is just wonderful; I adored every single syllable, and I really want to get around to reading more of his work. Another one I think I should mention is American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I read this late last year, and if I hadn't had read the aforementioned Wilde novel, this would have been my favourite. The concept of American Gods was one that had me hooked, and obviously Gaiman's naturally engaging style managed to pull it off, making it one of my favourite reads of last year.

Edited by Ben

I read a book of his short stories and you are right, his writing style is wonderful.

I really must get around to reading The Picture of Dorian Gray.

I really must get around to reading The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Oh Pixie, you definitely should; it's brilliant. As for his writing style, it's wonderful; I found myself wishing I had the poetic talent he showed.

Edited by Ben

Oh Pixie, you definitely should; it's brilliant. As for his writing style, it's wonderful; I found myself wishing I had the poetic talent he showed.

I have Dorian Gray and American Gods stored on my kindle will get round to them soon. Have you had the results of your exams yet Ben? My son just finished his degree he got a First, we are very proud of him.