Ben's Reading 2011

Ben

Why are you feeling terrible? I hope you are feeling better already, Ben :friends0: I think you're going to have loads of exciting moments with The Stand, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it :smile2:

I had a bad few days of illness but I'm better now, thank you. :friends0: Ah yes I'm excited too but I regret to say I haven't had much of an opportunity to settle down with it; far too busy with college and the pressures of coursework. Hopefully soon I'll manage to get stuck into it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so, time for a reading update; it seems I haven't posted for a couple of weeks. Right so at the minute it appears I have several books on the go; not something I normally do, but recently I've struggled to finish one and have been flicking between a few. So, as follows is what I'm reading.

Over Sea, Under Stone. - Susan Cooper.

The Stand. - Stephen King.

Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. - Robert Louis Stevenson.

The Redbreast. - Jo Nesbo.

Bought three books from Waterstones the other day as well..

A Week In December. - Sebastian Faulks.

How To Live. - Sarah Bakewell.

The Lovely Bones. - Alice Sebold.

---

A Week In December. - Sebastian Faulks.

Thoughts:

I managed to start and finish the aforementioned A Week In December by Sebastian Faulks in a few days, after purchasing it from Waterstones earlier this week. Now, this was my first Faulks and I'm not sure if it was the best place to start. I will perhaps review this novel thoroughly later today, but I didn't quite do it for me; something wasn't right. Although it got better as it went on, I struggled with parts of the dialogue which were in parts terribly long-winded. However, I enjoyed the way he pieced the characters together and the novel gave an intriguing perspective on the inner-workings of London life. Overall I guess I won't be shouting its praises from the rooftops; yet I'm glad I persevered with it and managed to reach it's conclusion.

3/5.

Edited by Ben

Hi Ben, interesting review on A Week in December it's on my TBR pile so it was good to read your thoughts on it . The only other Faulks I've read is Birdsong which I really enjoyed so I'd recommend that if you were looking for something else of his to try :)

A W[/i]ame='Kidsmum' timestamp='1298728555' post='249066']

Hi Ben, interesting review on A Week in December it's on my TBR pile so it was good to read your thoughts on it . The only other Faulks I've read is Birdsong which I really enjoyed so I'd recommend that if you were looking for something else of his to try :)

Hey maybe going to do a proper view of it later today, but yeah, I think most people would agree it's not his best. Although saying that I can't really comment as I haven't read any of his other work yet. Ah yes, Birdsong. I've heard great things about this; someone in my English class really enjoyed it and recommended it to me insistently. I guess I just picked up A Week In December because it looked interesting; at least it was enough to want me to further explore his work.

Edited by Ben

Hey Janet, thanks for the comment and recommendation; I'm definitely going to get hold of Birdsong and I'll check out Engleby as well. Yeah apparently the film has been in the workings for years; to the extent that according to Wikipedia Faulk's said that all the original actors that were supposed to be in it, are now too old. Haha, it doesn't look to be going anywhere - although, saying that, IMDB has the film down as 2012 so there may be something there.

...according to Wikipedia Faulk's said that all the original actors that were supposed to be in it, are now too old.

:lol:

I wonder if it will go ahead? Sometimes people buy up film rights and get as far as casting and then nothing further happens. I'd be interested to see a film of it.

I wonder if it will go ahead? Sometimes people buy up film rights and get as far as casting and then nothing further happens. I'd be interested to see a film of it.

Well they've had them years so it didn't look like it; but maybe now they've started work on it or something.

The Redbreast. - Jo Nesbo.

Thoughts:

Okay, so I have just finished up the last hundred pages or so of The Redbreast and I have to first say that for me the conclusion delivered perfectly. As I've mentioned before I didn't settle into this novel with a blistering pace, even abandoning it for a while to read something fresh. However, once I allowed myself to settle in, the novel got progressively better. I enjoyed the way Nesbo weaves the different characters' stories into one spectacular story-line which leaves you flipping the pages in anticipation throughout. Those more observant will pick up the clever twists and turns, but nevertheless the author delivers them fantastically. In essence this novel is one of revenge, tragedy, love and heartbreak, as you begin to feel what the different characters are going through. An old man who wants nothing more than to deliver the revenge he feels is necessary; a policeman struggling with the death of a comrade; the strikingly beautiful women he loves but who is also loved by another; another in a position of high-standing, determined to have her for his own. The many plots and sub-plots of this novel make for an entertaining read and I think I'll be looking for more of Nesbo's work on the shelves.

4/5.

Okay the next book I've decided to read is Robert Louis Stevenson's Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Now obviously near enough everyone knows this story, so unfortunately this novella can no longer be read with the same mystery that it was at the time of publication. However, I have been meaning to read this for a while now; indeed I've flicked through many times recently because I've used it as a text in a school assignment. At the time I probably should have got through it then, but despite that I'm going to have a shot at finishing it off now.

Synopsis:

Published as a 'shilling shocker', Robert Louis Stevenson's dark psychological fantasy gave birth to the idea of the split personality. The story of respectable Dr Jekyll's strange association with 'damnable young man' Edward Hyde, the hunt through fog-bound London for a killer, and the final revelation of Hyde's true identity is a chilling exploration of humanity's basest capacity for evil.

Anyone read this before? I adore the way in which Stevenson writes and I'm looking forward to tucking into this novella, to finally read it cover-to-cover. It's only a short read so I'm sure that I'll get it finished fairly soon.

Edited by Ben

I've read Jekyll and Hyde and thought it was brilliant. I'm with you in loving the way Stevenson writes. :)

It's brilliant; I loved Treasure Island and I'm enjoying this also. (:

Also decided to have a shot at reading The Rembrandt Secret by Alex Connor. Now, this wasn't recommend by anyone or anything, and I've never heard of the author. Despite that though, the novel seemed to jump out at me at the time, when I was shopping a couple of months back. I think it was the cover that drew it to my attention in all honesty; a good argument for a decent eye-catching cover being a good book seller.

Synopsis:

A serial killer keeping the past's darkest secret hidden. A centuries-old conspiracy is about the explode into the present with devastating consequences. The first victim was forced to swallow stones. The second victim was whipped to death. The third was stabbed in the heart. A deadly serial killer is taking people down across London and New York. What did they all know? Why were they butchered? Who else is in the killer's sights? And how can they be stopped?

The synopsis sounds intriguing; think I'll enjoy this one.

Edited by Ben

It's brilliant; I loved Treasure Island and I'm enjoying this also. (:

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Treasure Island. I've read some unfavourable reviews but still thought that I would surely enjoy it. I think you've just confirmed that. :)

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Treasure Island. I've read some unfavourable reviews but still thought that I would surely enjoy it. I think you've just confirmed that. :)

It's actually my grandad's favourite book ever, so I had no other choice but to read it eventually. Wasn't disappointed though. :lol:

Reading news as follows.

Purchases

The Redeemer. - Jo Nesbo.

Caught. - Harlan Coben.

The Long Song. - Andrea Levy.

The Whole Truth. - David Baldacci.

---

The Rembrandt Secret. - Alex Connor.

Thoughts:

Okay so although I said I was starting this novel a few days back, I only managed to get around to starting yesterday. By the end of the day I had finished; one sitting, four hundred and forty-eight pages. A truly fantastic read. This novel is one which is written so wonderfully; the story seemingly weaved so effortlessly, but with yet such precision. What makes the novel so intense, such a page-turner, is the pace at which the story flows. From London to New York, from galleries to exhibitions, a tale so gripping; dripping with mystery, intrigue and the blood of those murdered in an effort to keep a secret that will turn the art scene on its head and ruin the reputation of one of the greatest artists to ever live. The secrets are never-ending, the characters constant in their battle for success and power; doing anything and everything to achieve their goals and stop themselves from going under. Someone believes that the papers are important enough to murder, to torture; recreating scenes in such a way that shows in a sadistic manner that he's cultured and recognises the importance of the Rembrandt letters. Nobody can be trusted, everyone has a motive.. and it's impossible to know who to have on your own side. Is it someone trustworthy, believable; someone malicious and manipulative? You'll find yourself engrossed, captivated by events, following the characters' journeys like its conclusions will even go so far as to effect even you. If you enjoy a roller-coaster of a novel; fraught with danger, deception, cunning, remorse and revenge - but at the same time littered with instances of love, affection and heartbreak - then this novel is for you. It has everything to keep you entranced, glued to your seat.. for even when you think the surprises have stopped and the end reached, the shocks won't falter; everyone has something to hide, perhaps some people more than others.

5/5.

Edited by Ben

Starting The Whole Truth by David Baldacci. It's my first novel of his but it looks appealing from the blurb and once again the cover caught my attention.

Synopsis:

‘I need a war . . .’

Nicolas Creel, a super-rich arms dealer, decides that the best way to boost his business is to start a new cold war – and he won’t let anything or anyone get in his way.

As international tensions rise and the superpowers line up against each other, the lives of three very different people will never be the same again. As intelligence agent Shaw, academic Anna Fischer and ambitious journalist Katie James are all drawn into Creel’s games, can anything stop the world from spiraling out of control?

This terrifying global thriller delivers all the twists and turns, emotional drama, unforgettable characters and can’t-put-it-down pacing that Baldacci fans expect – and still goes beyond anything he’s written before.

Looks good and it's good to see my reading picking up a little.

The Rembrandt Secret - Alex Connor. This sounds like a great read, have just bought the Kindle version.

Hey it's fantastic, enjoy. Hope you enjoyed the review. (:

The Rembrandt Secret. - Alex Connor.

Thoughts:

Okay so although I said I was starting this novel a few days back, I only managed to get around to starting yesterday. By the end of the day I had finished; one sitting, four hundred and forty-eight pages. A truly fantastic read. This novel is one which is written so wonderfully; the story seemingly weaved so effortlessly, but with yet such precision. What makes the novel so intense, such a page-turner, is the pace at which the story flows. From London to New York, from galleries to exhibitions, a tale so gripping; dripping with mystery, intrigue and the blood of those murdered in an effort to keep a secret that will turn the art scene on its head and ruin the reputation of one of the greatest artists to ever live. The secrets are never-ending, the characters constant in their battle for success and power; doing anything and everything to achieve their goals and stop themselves from going under. Someone believes that the papers are important enough to murder, to torture; recreating scenes in such a way that shows in a sadistic manner that he's cultured and recognises the importance of the Rembrandt letters. Nobody can be trusted, everyone has a motive.. and it's impossible to know who to have on your own side. Is it someone trustworthy, believable; someone malicious and manipulative? You'll find yourself engrossed, captivated by events, following the characters' journeys like its conclusions will even go so far as to effect even you. If you enjoy a roller-coaster of a novel; fraught with danger, deception, cunning, remorse and revenge - but at the same time littered with instances of love, affection and heartbreak - then this novel is for you. It has everything to keep you entranced, glued to your seat.. for even when you think the surprises have stopped and the end reached, the shocks won't falter; everyone has something to hide, perhaps some people more than others.

5/5.

Hi Ben, you have a lot of books I have never heard of; some of them look interesting though. Is the Rembrandt Secret a little like Da Vinci Code? Superficially the plot looks similar.

It's actually my grandad's favourite book ever, so I had no other choice but to read it eventually. Wasn't disappointed though. :lol:

Haha I hear you, my Dad bought me the book when I was just a kid and secretly I rolled my eyes for getting such a 'boyish' book. It took me til last year (or the year before that) to actually read it, and I was surprised how good it was! Really gripping. We should definitely respect our father's and grandfather's opinions :cool:

Hi Ben, you have a lot of books I have never heard of; some of them look interesting though. Is the Rembrandt Secret a little like Da Vinci Code? Superficially the plot looks similar.

In some senses yes, but I personally enjoyed this much more. Not sure if that helps at all. :lol:

Happy reading Ben, I know its very early but any favourite reads so far? :)

Thanks Paula. Well, it's difficult to say as I've had some good ones; I enjoyed all three of my January reads - Killing Floor by Lee Child, Moab Is My Washpot by Stephen Fry, and A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess - as they were all brilliant in their own right. The pick of the bunch this month would have to be The Rembrandt Secret by Alex Connor, followed narrowly by Stephen King's Duma Key. As I said, I've had some great reads this year already; happy reading to you too. :friends3:

Haha I hear you, my Dad bought me the book when I was just a kid and secretly I rolled my eyes for getting such a 'boyish' book. It took me til last year (or the year before that) to actually read it, and I was surprised how good it was! Really gripping. We should definitely respect our father's and grandfather's opinions :cool:

Yeah it definitely prompted me to pay more attention to his recommendations; lesson learned there. :lol: