Ben's Reading 2011

Ben

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review Ben! Stephen Fry is certainly one of a kind. :)

Thank you. He is a National Treasure in my eyes; I have a lot of respect for the man.

He is a National Treasure in my eyes; I have a lot of respect for the man.

I agree on both counts. The man is gold, and whatever he touches seems to turn to gold too. :)

I have a bit of a crush on him. wub.gif

Edited by Kylie

Your reviews, both on here and your blog, are both great, Ben. As you are more than aware, I too thoroughly enjoyed Moab is my Washpot, and I'm really glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. You'll be delighted to know that I'm loving Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray; it's been nothing short of a fantastic read so far, and I expect it to continue for the remaining 30% of the book I have left to read.

I agree on both counts. The man is gold, and whatever he touches seems to turn to gold too. :)

Haha Kylie, I don't think anyone could blame you there. I'm sure you're not the only one. :lol:

Your reviews, both on here and your blog, are both great, Ben. As you are more than aware, I too thoroughly enjoyed Moab is my Washpot, and I'm really glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. You'll be delighted to know that I'm loving Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray; it's been nothing short of a fantastic read so far, and I expect it to continue for the remaining 30% of the book I have left to read.

Thanks mate, glad to hear that people think they're good; I have really enjoyed reviewing so far this year. I'm so glad you're enjoying The Picture of Dorian Gray as much as I did, and I guarantee you won't be disappointed at the end.

hi Ben, I've added Moab is my Washpot to my wishlist after reading your review :D it sounds fantastic.

I'm glad that my mere thoughts have helped you add Moab Is My Washpot to your wishlist, let me know how you get on. :friends3:

Me too!

Great review, Ben. :) I loved Fry's honesty in this book - it seemed so much to come straight from the heart. I'm patiently waiting for The Fry Chronicles to come out in paperback now!

Great review, Ben. :) I loved Fry's honesty in this book - it seemed so much to come straight from the heart. I'm patiently waiting for The Fry Chronicles to come out in paperback now!

Thanks Janet, glad you enjoyed it; like I said, I felt like whatever I said I would be doing him an injustice. I love how honest he is as well, endears him somewhat to his readers I feel. I was tempted to move straight onto The Fry Chronicles and I doubt it'll be long before I read that as well.

I've decided my next read to be A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.

Synopsis:

In this nightmare vision of a not-too-distant future, fifteen-year-old Alex and his three friends rob, rape, torture and murder - for fun. Alex is jailed for his vicious crimes and the State undertakes to reform him - but how and at what cost?

I recently heard good things about this book from a student in my English literature class, and seen as though I have it on the to-be-read list, I thought I might as well give it a shot. I started last night and I have to say it is a thoroughly brilliant read. Although it took me some time to get used to the strange language being used, I soon managed to pick up what words meant what, and the story itself is undoubtedly very interesting. I'm only just over half way through - it's a shortish read - but I'm really enjoying it.

Has anyone else read it, or indeed anything else by Burgess?

Edited by Ben

I haven't read 'A Clockwork Orange', I saw the film though and it may be the first time a film has put me off a book (I always try to read the book first), I did not like the film at all but that's just me, I will wait to read your review and maybe invest in the book, sorry that's not much help, happy reading Ben :)

Edited by Weave

I haven't read 'A Clockwork Orange', I saw the film though and it may be the first time a film has put me off a book (I always try to read the book first), I did not like the film at all but that's just me, I will wait to read your review and maybe invest in the book, sorry that's not much help, happy reading Ben :)

Hey no problem Paula, I can see why people wouldn't like some parts of this book, as it concentrates on some quite disturbing issues. I haven't seen this but I bet the film would relay that even more, perhaps. It shouldn't take me long to finish this one up and then maybe I'll see if I can persuade you to give it a shot. As for happy reading, thanks, same to you. :friends0:

Edited by Ben

Hey no problem Paula, I can see why people wouldn't like some parts of this book, as it concentrates on some quite disturbing issues. I haven't seen this but I bet the film would relay that even more, perhaps. It shouldn't take me long to finish this one up and then maybe I'll see if I can persuade you to give it a shot. As for happy reading, thanks, same to you. :friends0:

*Ps I changed my original post because I typed 'Clockwork Angel' instead of 'Clockwork Orange' :blush: :blush:

Edited by Weave

*Ps I changed my original post because I typed 'Clockwork Angel' instead of 'Clockwork Orange' :blush: :blush:

Hehe, I changed mine and re-quoted you so it doesn't look odd. :lol:

Edited by Ben

A Clockwork Orange is one of my favourite books, Ben. :) I thought it was brilliant.

I've also seen the movie and while it is quite disturbing in places, it wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting. But then, I was pretty terrified of watching it, so that doesn't say much!

A Clockwork Orange is one of my favourite books, Ben. :) I thought it was brilliant.

I've also seen the movie and while it is quite disturbing in places, it wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting. But then, I was pretty terrified of watching it, so that doesn't say much!

I'm really enjoying the book at the moment, I think it's one of those really thought-provoking novels that everyone should read if they get a chance. I was surprised to find out that Anthony Burgess, the author, died a mere four months after I was born. From what I've read he's a wonderful author and I think I'll check out his other work. As for the film I think I'd like to give it a watch to see what they did with the novel.

Edited by Ben

I really enjoyed A Clockwork Orange too, Ben; I enjoyed the film too, but I actually found it more disturbing than the book. Look forward to hearing what you think of the film if you get the chance to watch it :)

I really enjoyed A Clockwork Orange too, Ben; I enjoyed the film too, but I actually found it more disturbing than the book. Look forward to hearing what you think of the film if you get the chance to watch it :)

Thanks, I've added it to my list of 'films I should have watched but haven't' list, so I'll let you know when I get onto it. :friends3:

Hello Ben! Sorry for this late comment on your new reading blog for the year, but better late than never: I'm really impressed by your Mount TBR!! :smile2: And I'm really happy to hear you enjoyd Moab Is My Washpot so much, I really must read it finally this year, I have no idea why I haven't read it ages ago. Seems to be a really fascinating read!

PS. Whoever it was that was recommending The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society to you, I would second that recommendation :wink: Happy reading for 2011, Ben!

Edited by frankie

Hey Frankie, thanks for your comments; this is the first time I've really tried to make an attempt at a to-be-read list and at first it was really daunting. Now it just seems like it's giving me something to aim for. Moab Is My Washpot was every bit as wonderful as I expected it to be to be honest. As Kylie said, everything the man touches turns to gold so I expected nothing less from his book. As for The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society I confess I can't remember who's reading blog I read it on, but it looks like I'll enjoy it so thanks for recommending it as well.:friends3:

Hehe, making up the vast amount of books one owns into a TBR list does take it's time but it's a lot of fun too, and from now on out it'll be only a matter of copy+paste for the future years, so I dare say you'll be happy later on that you've now done it :) And who doesn't love compiling different kinds of lists? :blush:

Kylie's right, Fry is pure magic. I've yet to meet a person who isn't infatuated by him, at least to some degree :giggle:

Hehe, making up the vast amount of books one owns into a TBR list does take it's time but it's a lot of fun too, and from now on out it'll be only a matter of copy+paste for the future years, so I dare say you'll be happy later on that you've now done it :) And who doesn't love compiling different kinds of lists? :blush:

Kylie's right, Fry is pure magic. I've yet to meet a person who isn't infatuated by him, at least to some degree :giggle:

Of course it's fun, I love making lists and you're right it will be useful in the future. Haha you're right on that front. I've said it once and I'll say it again, he's a National Treasure.

Edited by Ben

A Clockwork Orange. - Anthony Burgess.

Thoughts:

Well, here it is, the third finished novel of the year, and by far the strangest book I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Although the book deals with some serious issues such as rape, violence and crime - enough to put some people off - I feel that this is a piece of literature that everyone should read. My reasons for this are simple: the novel is thought-provoking, intriguing, and throughout I felt connected with the main protagonist, Alex; a strange thing to say about a fifteen year delinquent who enjoys gang-crime and extreme violent acts, but who also enjoys classical music. Particularly Beethoven's Ninth. Some people who will read this novel, will have no sympathy for a mere child who brings so much hurt and violence to perfectly innocent victims, but as the novel progressed I'm sure that I wasn't the only one who began to sympathise with the troubles that the Government forced upon him. Now, I imagine opinion about this novel is divided right down the middle; some will say he got what he deserved, others will disagree. I do know one thing for sure; this novel is one that everyone should read at some point in their lives.

5/5.

Edited by Ben