Ben's Reading 2011

Ben

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Ben, that's really exciting ! I've emailed a couple authors after reading their books,and got so excited when they answered me back . To get your review put on the website is quite impressive !

Funny thing is I bet it's been there a while and I've never seen it. :lol:

What would be amazing is if she's included it in the front pages of her new book, like some authors do. Now that would be pretty cool.

Yes, that would be really neat . I've often wondered how people get chosen to be the advanced readers ,so they can actually get hold of a copy of a new book before others do. I think Amazon has some type of a setup like that, I forget just what it's called, where if you are a frequent reviewerr, you may be chosen to get copies ofbooks and review them before they are officially released .

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that your review will also be in her book .

Yes, that would be really neat . I've often wondered how people get chosen to be the advanced readers ,so they can actually get hold of a copy of a new book before others do. I think Amazon has some type of a setup like that, I forget just what it's called, where if you are a frequent reviewerr, you may be chosen to get copies ofbooks and review them before they are officially released.

That Amazon thing sounds neat, I'm guessing you'd have to be one of the 'top reviewers' of some sorts. It's interesting because I reviewed this one just of my own accord (as opposed to a new author sending it to Michelle), but because I linked it on the BCF reviews page, it's credited as that. As a result, it'll be 'BCF Reviews' that would be in the page, which would be awesome. I'm not holding my breath, but we'll see eh.

I'm seriously fighting a losing battle with this twelve days of Kindle sale. I've already marked at least four books of interest, and that's without looking through all of them yet. Plus there's only been three days so far. It's hopeless, I know it. Maybe I should cave before the new year so they don't get counted as 2012 acquisitions. :lol:

Just finished Inheritance by Christopher Paolini, the last book in the series, and I'm going to attempt to write some thoughts below, as I don't have the time for a full-scale review.

Thoughts:

As I turned over the last page in Inheritance not so very long ago, I had that feeling I often get when I finish a good series: in the same sense that the journey has come to an end for the protagonist, it often seems like the readers' personal journey has come to a close also. I only read the first in the series, Eragon, at the close of last year, so in comparison to those that have read and enjoyed the books since 03', the sense of a journey coming to an end is obviously much smaller for myself. In any case, in the final instalment in this now world-wide popular, Eragon must finally face and confront his arch-nemesis, who has so far simply watched from afar; the evil magician Galbatorix. Paolini's writing in my opinion has transformed and matured over the sequence of the books, since Eragon, and I am happy he decided to split the final book into two books, to allow for further character development. The novel addresses some of the important questions I had before I turned over the first page, while in some cases answering nothing at all. I won't say the conclusion was a disappointment to me, as it was cleverly executed, but Paolini hasn't made it feel like the end; leaving the option for spin-off books if he pleases. Perhaps this is a good thing though, as I'd certainly welcome more of the action-packed happenings of Alagaësia. Overall then, I feel the series on a whole is a solid, enjoyable one, and that Inheritance wraps it up nicely. I'd recommend to anyone that likes a fast-paced, action-packed tale of love and hate, magic and strength, and of course ultimately, a battle between good and evil.

4/5.

Edited by Ben

2011 Reading Review

Okay, I won't be finishing any more books this year, so that means Inheritance acts as my 52nd of 2011, and leaves me with a nice even 'one per week' conclusion. It's not a bad total, even if I feel I could have read quite a few more if I would have stuck to being productive and not wasted my time on things that were pointless, when I could have been reading. I had a slow start to the year with only 11 books read in the first five months of the year; which was ultimately very disappointing. I did have some good reads however, Alex Connor's The Rembrandt Secret - a fantastic blend of art and culture with murder and betrayal - being a particular highlight. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess I also found incredible.

However, as July hit and the summer began, I had a burst of reading that was assisted of course by the nice, light-hearted, enjoyable Southern Vampire Mysteries reads by Charlaine Harris. In July alone I read the first seven in the series, as well as finishing the eight the month after. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón and Love In The Time Of Cholera byGabriel García Márquez, were both fantastic reads, and August was another good reading month, highlighted I feel by Rosamund Lupton's Afterwards which was a haunting tale of a mother's love for her daughter and a desire to find the truth.

September was a slip back to a slower reading month, but through October and November that picked up dramatically as I started my English literature course at university. Although the course provided me with some challenging reads (particularly my 18th century fiction module), and some not very enjoyable texts (Defoe's Robinson Crusoe and Moll Flanders ring a bell), I also enjoyed some good reads. Samuel Richardson's Pamela was a fantastic read, as was Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie; a great children's tale, under-layered with much more meaning than on the surface level. Much of the two months were also taken up by the reading of short, ghost narratives, which was different for me, but an enjoyable change.

The close of the year has been a steady reading month, where I've enjoyed Stephen Fry's laugh-out-loud new instalment The Fry Chronicles, along with some more Lee Child who is an author I can always trust to give a good fast-paced tale with his Jack Reacher novels. I've also read Brisingr and Inheritance during this month to wrap up the Inheritance Cycle which I talked about in the above post. Overall, then, it's been an interesting reading year as I've diversified my reads due to studying literature at university. I'm happy with how the reading year has gone and next year I aim to read more books than I have done during this; onwards and upwards. Best of luck to everyone in 2012, a happy new year from me, and I wish you all the best with your reading in the new year.

Re: Alex Connor. That's just simply amazing, well done Ben! :D You must be chuffed to bits!! A very nice ending to the reading year, aye? :friends3:

It certainly took me by surprise and definitely cheered me up going into the new year. :smile2:

ooh I'm so glad you have read Inheritance, now I have someone to talk to!!! yay!

For me, I felt there were a lot of open ends that frustrated me and I don't understand why Eragon can't ever come back?? Not even for a holiday?!