Ben's Reading 2011

Ben

Day 11 – A book you hated

I've been thinking about this one a lot, and with a lot of reflection I still can't find a book that I genuinely hated. I've always been lucky enough to read books that I've enjoyed, or if I've enjoyed them less than others it hasn't been to the extent that I hated them. I find it strange to find a book that I really don't like, but like I've said in previous answers, there's a long time of reading in front of me where I'm sure I'll eventually find one that disagrees with me.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have The Blasphemer on my TBR pile, the synopsis is intriguing, will hopefully get around to it in next month or two, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

That's good, it's started interestingly, so we'll have to see where it goes.

Day 12 – A book you used to love but don’t anymore

I swear I must be really bad with these answers, as I once more cannot think of any book that fits the bill for this. Although I've been an avid reader since a young age, I always used to just read the same books such as the Harry Potter novels because I wouldn't have any further selection. As I've gotten older, I've bought and inherited lots of books, thus my collection and choice is much wider. As such, I haven't read childhood books that I used to love, for a long time. Despite this, though I haven't read them in a while, I've never stopped 'loving' them so to speak; they'll always hold a place in my heart.

Okay, although I have The Blasphemer on the go at the minute, I felt like I needed some nice easy reads to fly through alongside what I'm already reading. I decided upon the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. I managed the first three of these a couple of years ago now, and for some reason stopped there, even though I have the first eight in the series. I enjoyed them, though, and that's not why I stopped. I've decided to start the series from scratch with the first novel Dead Until Dark.

Synopsis:

Sookie Stackhouse is a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. She's quiet, keeps to herself, and doesn't get out much. Not because she's not pretty. She is. It's just that, well, Sookie has this sort of 'disability.' She can read minds. And that doesn't make her too dateable. And then comes along Bill: he's tall, dark and handsome - and Sookie can't 'hear' a word he's thinking. He's exactly the type of guy she's been waiting for all her life. But Bill has a disability of his own: he's a vampire. Worse than that, he hands around with a seriously creepy crowd, with a reputation for trouble - of the murderous kind. And when one of Sookie's colleagues is killed, she begins to fear she'll be next.

Looking forward to getting back into these again, and think I've made a good choice starting again even though I've finished the first three; I can refresh myself with the story-line.

Edited by Ben

Finished Dead Until Dark in the early hours; just what the doctor ordered with a fast-paced, easy but enjoyable read.

Review here if anyone's interested.

Dead Until Dark. - Charlaine Harris.

Thoughts:

The first of the Sookie Stackhouse books really sets up the bigger picture and the characters' personalities without revealing certain things about them. In addition, it carries its own plot, and it seems Sookie is already in danger, from the moment she meets Bill the vampire in the bar she works. Sookie suffers the painful experience of telepathy, and has to hear everyone's thoughts at every point in the day. With the vampire it's different; she hears nothing, and the relief is such a wonderful feeling. Falling for the vampire has its consequences though, and all across Bon Temps girls are being brutally murdered, all girls with vampire associations. Sookie knows not who she can trust, and all around her the danger piles up and the murderer and the darkness close in, something stalks the night, with the intention of doing her harm.

4/5.

Edited by Ben

I though that was a really good way to describe The Shadow of the Wind as well, and it definitely deserved its 5/5 in my opinion :)

The Angels Game is very good too, it's a bit darker and I think reading The Shadow of the Wind influences your reading of it a bit (but I'm sure you'll read it and find out what I mean for yourself) :lol:

Love Carlos Ruiz Zaphon. Wish more of his books were translated to English!

I though that was a really good way to describe The Shadow of the Wind as well, and it definitely deserved its 5/5 in my opinion :)

The Angels Game is very good too, it's a bit darker and I think reading The Shadow of the Wind influences your reading of it a bit (but I'm sure you'll read it and find out what I mean for yourself) :lol:

Love Carlos Ruiz Zaphon. Wish more of his books were translated to English!

Thanks Hayley, I really did enjoy it, one of my favourite reads this year for definite.

I'll get around to The Angels Game at some point I'm sure, so when I have some more of an idea what you're talking about, I'll get back to you on it. :giggle:

Ah yes, it is a shame; hopefully they will be in the future, though.

Just been out into town and a couple of books jumped into my hands, so I thought I wouldn't begrudge them of their escape.

Purchases

The Slap. - Christos Tsiolkas.

Miracle Cure. - Harlan Coben.

Money well spent. :smile2:

I hope it's "money well spent" too, as I bought those two books a few weeks ago when I was in London. :D

I must say we do have good choice. :friends3:

Next book on my list, is the second in the Sookie Stackhouse series, Living Dead In Dallas as I wrapped up the other in the early hours of this morning (thoughts and review a few posts above). I really enjoyed it so I'm hoping the second follows suit.

Synopsis:

Sookie Stackhouse likes living in Bon Temps, Louisiana, and she likes working as a cocktail waitress at Merlotte's. But she is having a steak of bad luck. First her co-worker is killed, and no-one seems to care. Then she comes face-to-face with a beastly creature which gives her a painful and poisonous lashing. Enter the vampires, who graciously suck the poison from her veins (like they don't enjoy it). The point is the vampires saved her life. So when one of the bloodsuckers asks for a favour, she obliges - and soon Sookie's in Dallas, using her telepathic skills to search for a missing vampire. She's supposed to interview certain humans involved, but she makes one condition: the vampires must promise to behave, and let the humans go unharmed. But that's easier said than done, and all it takes is one delicious blonde and one small mistake for things to turn deadly.

Looking forward to this.

Edited by Ben

I heartily approve of your Sookie reading but hope you get on better with The Slap than I did, I couldn't get past the bad language at the beginning, I'm no prude but..... You could've had my copy!

Ah I hope that's not too strong; I can deal with a little but excessiveness is unnecessary, so I can feel where you're coming from there my friend.

Well you'll be able to decide if I am a prude after you've read it. I'll donate mine to the book sale at the school Xmas fair (adult table!!)

Well, we can't all like the same books; hopefully it will go to a good home from the sale.

Day 13 – Your favourite writer

Tricky one this, because having a favourite writer would should probably mean you've read more than one of their books. I'm going to cheat and listen a few answers here, starting with Oscar Wilde. Although I've only read The Picture of Dorian Gray it has become one of my favourite books ever, and his writing style is just wonderful. I'd say on consistent reads my two favourite authors are Anthony Horowitz and Eion Colfer, as I have loved the Alex Rider and Artemis Fowl books over the years.

Day 14 – Favourite book of your favourite writer

As mentioned above, for Wilde it would have to be The Picture of Dorian Gray seen as though it's the only one of his I have read. As for Anthony Horowitz, Scorpia would be my favourite from the series, although I enjoyed them all. For Eion Colfer I think my favourite Artemis Fowl book is either the first one (where the magic is still fresh), or Eternity Code which I absolutely loved.

Pretty rubbish answers from me again, but I'm trying not to use all the same books/authors in my answers.

Edited by Ben

In the early hours of this morning I finished Living Dead In Dallas by Charlaine Harris.

Living Dead In Dallas. - Charlaine Harris.

Thoughts:

The second book in the Sookie Stackhouse and in my opinion just as good. I flew through this one even quicker than the first, one more a tribute to how gripping and engaging these books are. Sookie has become caught up with the vampires now, and is obliged to help them after they help her, despite her obvious reservations. Once more Sookie is in danger, this time from the Fellowship, who believe vampires and all associates of vampires should be harmed and punished for their sins. When she goes to investigate, Sookie finds herself captured, betrayed, and all alone; realising that she must be stronger than ever if she wants to come out of this unscathed.

4/5.

Edited by Ben

Just going to do my daily sudokus than I'll be making a start on the third in the series, Club Dead.

Synopsis:

There's only one vampire Sookie Stackhouse is involved with - at least voluntarily - and that's Bill. But recently he's been a little distant - in another state distant. His sinister and sexy boss Eric has an idea where to find him, and next thing Sookie knows she's off to Jackson, Mississippi, to mingle with the underworld at Club Dead. It's a dangerous little haunt where the elusive vampire society can go to chill out and suck down some Type O - but when Sookie finally finds Bill caught in an act of serious betrayal she's not sure whether to save him, or to sharpen some stakes. The Sookie Stackhouse books are delightful Southern Gothic supernatural mysteries, starring Sookie, the telepathic cocktail waitress, and a cast of increasingly colourful characters, including vampires, werewolves and things that really do go bump in the night.

Really enjoying the Sookie Stackhouse series and can't wait to get started on another.

Finished Club Dead again in the early hours, and it looks like I'm really flying through this series at the minute. I'm going away on holiday on Sunday so I have to chose which books to take with me. I'm only going for a week but I've decided on a couple of Sookie Stackhouse books, The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas, and my Amazon Kindle if I manage to make it through those. I'm exciting to kick back and do some reading in the sunshine.

Club Dead. - Charlaine Harris.

Thoughts:

The third book in the Sookie Stackhouse series, and I think it was probably my favourite so far. This time for Sookie, in some senses the enemy seems too close to home as she tracks down Bill, knowing of his serious betrayal, but not knowing how he is, or whether she even wants him as her boyfriend these days. Then there's Eric, the handsome and lustful vampire who is longing for an opportunity to be with Sookie, waiting for a slip up in her relationship with Bill. In the vampire bar Club Dead, Sookie is in more danger than she has possibly ever been in before, trying to find information on the missing Bill Compton, but this time she has support in werewolf Alcide. Will his protection be enough? Sookie's in deep, everyone seems to be keeping secrets from her, as usual there's few she can trust. This time it's different, she must do it without the protection of Bill around her; this time his fate rests in her hands.

5/5.

Edited by Ben

Great reviews of the Sookie books Ben, the fourth book of the series is my favourite, I hope you continue to enjoy them :)

Do you think you will read The Harper Connelly series also by Charlaine Harris? its really good :)

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/charlaine-harris/

Great reviews of the Sookie books Ben, the fourth book of the series is my favourite, I hope you continue to enjoy them :)

Do you think you will read The Harper Connelly series also by Charlaine Harris? its really good :)

Thank you very much Weave, I'm certainly glad you enjoyed the reviews, and I'm getting started on the fourth book Dead To The World soonish I should think, so I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts when I'm done. Just had a quick glance and the Harper Connelly series looks right up my street, so I will probably look into them some point in the future; thanks for the recommendation, Paula.

Edited by Ben

Day 15 – Favourite male character

Interesting question this, as their are quite a few male characters I have enjoyed through my reads. For starters, all the Weasley children in Harry Potter; Fred and George were two of the funniest, most brilliant characters I've ever had to meet, and Ron himself was always someone you could count on; even though Harry was the main protagonist, Ron was arguably always waiting in the wings with his cheeky catchphrase in the capacity of the loyal best friend. I've always enjoyed Artemis Fowl; a child genius, his confidence and tenacity made him a strong favourite character of mine; although he was always supposed to be an enemy to the underground people, he is really a friend and a valuable ally. I'm sure there's many, many more that I've forgotten but I don't want to bore you and this gives a good overview of some of my favourites and why I like them.

Moving on to Dead To The World which is the fourth book in the Sookie Stackhouse series; hope it holds up to the others.

Synopsis:

Sookie comes to the rescue of a naked, amnesiac vampire - and ends up in the middle of a war between witches, werewolves and vampires! Sookie Stackhouse is a small-town cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. She's pretty. She does her job well. She keeps to herself - she has only a few close friends, because not everyone appreciates Sookie's gift: she can read minds. That's not exactly every man's idea of date bait - unless they're undead - vampires and the like can be tough to read. And that's just the kind of guy Sookie's been looking for. Maybe that's why, when she comes across a naked vampire on the way home from work, she doesn't just drive on by. He hasn't got a clue who he is, but Sookie has: Eric looks just as scary and sexy - and dead - as the day she met him. But now he has amnesia, he's sweet, vulnerable, and in need of Sookie's help - because whoever took his memory now wants his life. Sookie's investigation into what's going on leads her straight into a dangerous battle between witches, vampires and werewolves. But there could be even greater danger - to Sookie's heart, because the kinder, gentler Eric is very hard to resist.

I remember starting this before I abandoned the series altogether through lack of time; caught up and ready to read the rest.