Nursenblack's Reading List 2011

nursenblack

Nursenblack's Reading List 2011

I have a pathetic goal of 40 books, but at least 2 must be doorsteps.

I will mark young adult novels (YA) and novels read via my Kindle.

Rating Scale

1-5

1)awful. only fit for a birdcage liner.

2)blah blah. will not recommend to anyone.

3)Ok. liked it, but nothing special

4)enjoyable read. will recommend to others

5)excellent. loved it!

Currently Reading

My Blood Approves by Amanda Hocking (YA) (via Kindle)

TBR Pile (Currently on bookshelf)

Testimony by Anita Shreve

White Oleander by Janet Fitch

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (YA)

Dreaming In French by Megan McAndrews

Mary Modern by Camille DeAngelis

Mathilda Savitch by Victor Lodats

The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom

Lisey's Story by Stephen King

Saffron Skies by Lesley Lokko

Emma by Jane Austen

Edited by nursenblack

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wishlist (Own, Kindle, or Library)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (reread)

Persuasion by Jane Austen

The Sherlockian by Graham Moore

Room by Emma Donoghue

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff (YA)

Ruby's Spoon by Anna Lawrence Pietroni

Illyria by Elizabeth Hand (YA)

The Girl in the Lighthouse by Roxane Tepfer Sanford

The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story by Susan Hill

Jane by April Lindner (YA)

The Boy with the Cuckoo-Clock Heart by Mathias Malzieu

Nevermore by Kelly Creagh (YA)

Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Pattillo

Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart by Beth Pattillo

The Earth Hums in B Flat by Mari Strachan

Generation Dead by Daniel Waters (YA)

Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell

The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw

Bloodroot by Amy Greene

Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin

Hick by Andrea Portes

Girl With A Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

What Was She Thinking?: Notes on a Scandal by Zoe Heller

Edited by nursenblack

My Blood Approves by Amanda Hocking (YA) (via Kindle)

79568768.JPG

Synopsis from amazon.com

"Seventeen-year-old Alice Bonham's life feels out of control after she meets Jack. With his fondness for pink Chuck Taylors and New Wave hits aside, Jack's unlike anyone she's ever met. Then she meets his brother, Peter. His eyes pierce through her, and she can barely breathe when he's around. Even though he can't stand the sight of her, she's drawn to him. But falling for two very different guys isn't even the worst of her problems. Jack and Peter are vampires, and Alice finds herself caught between love and her own blood..."

My Blood Approves is the first of a young adult vampire series and was amazed to see the kindle version priced so cheap, ao, I bought it. It is a fast read with a slow-moving storyline that is a bit redundant at times, but intriguing enough to be entertaining. I am a bit curious to find out what happens in the rest of the series.(3/5)

I have started Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, a reread from a decade and a half ago. uhggg. I feel really old now. :(

Edited by nursenblack

Incredibly I've never managed to get around to reading Jayne Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, something I really should have done a while back. I think I'll read it this year actually, so I look forward to hearing what you thought of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte(via Kindle)

61Dtk0IwB5L._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-2,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The first time I read Jane Eyre I was fourteen and had really liked (I do believe I skimmed towards the end). This is my second read. I still find it very romantic and the "lovey-dovey" scenes are hard to put down, but I didn't remeber it being so wordy. Almost every dialogue is like a soliloquy - you forget the other person is even involoved in the conversation. That aside, it is a powerful, gothic romance that is a must read classic. (4/5)

Edited by nursenblack

I read & loved Jane Eyre when I was younger, I think when you come back to a book when your older you get more out of it maybe because you've got more life experience, I certainly found that when I reread Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray.

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (YA)

51SoqFJtkjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

This is the first of the Infernal Devices series and a prequel to the Mortal Instruments series (haven't read those). I didn't know what to expect because I never read jackets and usually only skim synopses, but this did not disappoint. Clockwork Angel is filled with mystery, action and little romance. I can't wait for Clockwork Prince! A must read for lovers of paranormal/fantasy young adult fiction. (4/5)

Edited by nursenblack

The Girl In The Lighthouse by Roxane Tepher Sanford (via Kindle)

41qUjz4pKTL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-22,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Lillian Arrington has always lived isolated in a lighthouse with her secretive parents who never reveal anything about ther past, even to Lillian. Finally, after moving to a new lighthouse, she meets two brothers, whom she becomes friends with, and gets to attend school for the first time. Her mother suffers from a mysterious illness that keeps her in bed for days at a time. Lillian's childhood is happy until her mother gets worse and everything starts to spiral out of control...

I won't give anything else away. But if you enjoy VC Andrews novels you will love this. This is a quick, engrossing read that charms you in, then rips your heart out. (4/5)

Edited by nursenblack

Mathilda Savitch by Victor Lodato

51483712.JPG

This is a coming of age, debut novel about a precocious girl, Mathilda, who is dealing with the death of her sister from a year before. Mathilda narrates with believable teen agnst and disturbed logic. You never know what she will say or do next. Easy, entertaining read, but by no means 'light reading' (it's filled with depression, mental unstability and grief). I can't wait to see what's next from Lodato. (4/5)

Next I'm reading Switched by Amanda Hocking

Edited by nursenblack

Switched by Amanda Hocking (YA) (via Kindle)

51Su87WntRL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-18,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Swithced is the first of a YA trilogy about a teenage girl, Wendy, who was almost murdered by her mother when she was six. Wendy has the power to 'persuade' people with her thoughts. She doesn't think it is a real power until she meets Finn, who reveals to her her true identity and takes her away to the world she came from.

This is the second book I've read by this author, the first was My Blood Approves (also first of a trilogy), and I have say that they are equally mediocre. However, I do think the idea for this novel was unique, and I am a bit tempted to find out what happens next. Not too bad for a $1 download. :) (3/5)

Edited by nursenblack

Room by Emma Donoghue

41eCBkKJlrL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

synopsis from barnesandnoble,com

To five-year-old Jack, Room is the entire world. It is where he was born and grew up; it's where he lives with his Ma as they learn and read and eat and sleep and play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits.

Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough...not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Told entirely in the language of the energetic, pragmatic five-year-old Jack, ROOM is a celebration of resilience and the limitless bond between parent and child, a brilliantly executed novel about what it means to journey from one world to another.

Room is hard to put down from start to finish. It is told entirely from the perspective of five year old Jack and is written in a way that makes it easy to identify with him and still understand the other characters as well. Nothing about this novel is too over-the-top. I think the realness of Room is terrifying. A must read that will not leave your memory! (5/5)

Room by Emma Donoghue

41eCBkKJlrL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

synopsis from barnesandnoble,com

To five-year-old Jack, Room is the entire world. It is where he was born and grew up; it's where he lives with his Ma as they learn and read and eat and sleep and play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits.

Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough...not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Told entirely in the language of the energetic, pragmatic five-year-old Jack, ROOM is a celebration of resilience and the limitless bond between parent and child, a brilliantly executed novel about what it means to journey from one world to another.

Room is hard to put down from start to finish. It is told entirely from the perspective of five year old Jack and is written in a way that makes it easy to identify with him and still understand the other characters as well. Nothing about this novel is too over-the-top. I think the realness of Room is terrifying. A must read that will not leave your memory! (5/5)

First I really like your reviews!

Room sounds very good I think I might have to add it to the wish list.

The same goes for the girl in the light house, I loved V.C Andres when I was younger so this would probably be good one.

First I really like your reviews!

Room sounds very good I think I might have to add it to the wish list.

The same goes for the girl in the light house, I loved V.C Andres when I was younger so this would probably be good one.

Thanks! I really believe everyone should give Room a chance.

I can't remember how I found out about The Girl In The Lighthouse, but it was a great find. I was really surprised by it.

The Evolution Of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (via library)

53479288.JPG

synopsis from barnesandnoble.com

"Calpurnia Virginia Tate is eleven years old in 1899 when she wonders why the yellow grasshoppers in her Texas backyard are so much bigger than the green ones.With a little help from her notoriously cantankerous grandfather, an avid naturalist, she figures out that the green grasshoppers are easier to see against the yellow grass, so they are eaten before they can get any larger. As Callie explores the natural world around her, she develops a close relationship with her grandfather, navigates the dangers of living with six brothers, and comes up against just what it means to be a girl at the turn of the century.

Debut author Jacqueline Kelly deftly brings Callie and her family to life, capturing a year of growing up with unique sensitivity and a wry wit."

The Evolution Of Calpurnia Tate is not only Kelly's debut novel, but also a Newberry Honor winner. I found it enjoyable even though I thought the beginning was rather dull. I love the character of Calpurnia, who wanders what her future will be because she hates household duties, but loves science. This should be read in classrooms, even though the author states that she took some liberties with historical and scientific facts. Great book. (4/5)

Up next: Generation Dead by Daniel Waters

Edited by nursenblack

Generation Dead by Daniel Waters (YA) (via library)

25567405.JPG

Generation Dead is the first of a YA series about teenage zombies. For some unknown reason, teenagers who die are coming back to life. At Oakville High there are a few zombies or 'living impaired' students that are trying to get back to 'living'. Phoebe, a gothic-looking live girl, is intriqued by Tommy, a high functioning 'living impaired' student. Much of Oakville High, and the rest of the country, have a hard time with zombies mixing with the living. But that doesn't stop Phoebe and her friends, Adam and Margi, from befriending the undead.

I thought Generation Dead was a very interesting take on zombies and not what I expected. Unique fantasy novel about ignorance and acceptance. (4/5)

Edited by nursenblack

Illyria by Elizabeth Hand

44390161.JPG

Synopsis from barnesandnoble.com

Madeleine and Rogan are first cousins, best friends, twinned souls, each other's first love. Even within their large, disorderly family—all descendants of a famous actress—their intensity and passion for theater sets them apart. It makes them a little dangerous. When they are cast in their school's production of Twelfth Night, they are forced to face their separate talents and futures, and their future together. This masterful short novel, winner of the World Fantasy Award, is magic on paper.

I adored this novella by Elizabeth Hand about 'kissing cousins', Madeleine and Rogan. Bite size novel, but a whole lot of story with heart. It's is definitely what I would dub as hauntingly beautiful. (5/5)

Edited by nursenblack