Frankie Reads 2011

frankie

Frankie went first when she came here last year. Didn't you know that I made her my slave in return for board? Mwahaha! laugh.gif

now I'm worried :unsure:

Wow, that's amazing! And it's so sweet that he trusts your judgement so much that he lets you pick out books for him. smile2.gif

so far he's enjoyed everything, the test will come when he hates a book I've recommended.

I have worried the same thing in the past, but after some experience I've learnt that it's just not possible for people like us! :D

well, you're right, but it was such a disappointing bookfair, it was only teeny tiny and mostly full of antiquated books and most of those were *shudders* hardbacks!! There didn't, on the surface of things, seem to be anything there for me. After much rootling though I did buy three books ... one that was recommended on here by Chesil a couple of days ago 'Girl Meets Boy' by Ali Smith, a gorgeous edition of 'The Ladies of Grace Adieu' by Susanna Clarke and 'Love Letters of Great Men' which I've wanted to read for a while, so it's true book lovers will search and search until they can come up with something to take home. I had a horrible day the day before though, I went into a charity shop and bought a copy of 'The Winter Book' by Tove Jansson (after we'd just been talking about it :)) but on the way out a carousel full of books fell over and hit my head :thud: I ended up with a cut and a lump on my forehead like an egg and had to walk ten minutes home with only half vision. The staff there didn't really help me which was annoying as it was because one of them was fiddling with another carousel nearby that the one that hit me fell over. Worse than that was that I had to go to a party last night looking like a battered wife (thank God for fringes but not for windy evenings.) 'The Winter Book' looks very disagreeable to me now ... I'm already ill disposed towards it.

Alan asked me later what the prime minister's name was .. I just said ''tw*t'' and he seemed satisfied that I'd remembered that much :lol: Watch out for book rage .. I didn't know they could actually launch an attack.

Ah, you devious women. What chance do we poor men have?

none at all ... lie down and take it like a man :wink:

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh no! :friends0: I thought at first that your comment about books falling on you was your subtle way of saying you bought a whole load of books (you know, the usual BCF excuse of 'it fell into my trolley' etc), but no, they literally fell on you. :( The staff sound quite mean. How could they let you walk home injured and unable to see properly? They could have offered you a lift at least. :irked: Or offered you your choice of books as compensation (preferably the whole carousel of books, providing they were decent books). I hope you're feeling better now. :friends0:

:giggle: at your response to Alan's question.

I'm sorry the book fair also wasn't that great, but at least you found a couple of gems! It's worth the effort in the end, isn't it?

Oh no! :friends0: I thought at first that your comment about books falling on you was your subtle way of saying you bought a whole load of books (you know, the usual BCF excuse of 'it fell into my trolley' etc), but no, they literally fell on you. :( The staff sound quite mean. How could they let you walk home injured and unable to see properly? They could have offered you a lift at least. :irked: Or offered you your choice of books as compensation (preferably the whole carousel of books, providing they were decent books). I hope you're feeling better now.

Thanks Kylie :friends0: I'm fine now .. maybe even a bit more sensible than before (not difficult I know :lol: ) but I must have suffered memory loss because I wrote in blue again :doh: I was annoyed with the shop assistants and would have made more fuss if it hadn't been a charity shop, as it was, Alan went in later but only to check that the carousels had been moved away from the doorway and in fact they'd disappeared as if they were never ever there.

I'm sorry the book fair also wasn't that great, but at least you found a couple of gems! It's worth the effort in the end, isn't it?

Yes and it was nice and sunny and so I enjoyed the walk there and I liked browsing about even though most of the books were not really my cup of tea. The whole place had that nice musty old book smell that's quite comforting. They had lot's of lovely antique books, especially the ones with the gorgeously illustrated spines and gold lettering but I thought I'd better not jump on that bandwagon just yet. After all this house isn't exactly Pemberley! :D

Oooh I forgot to respond before about you having Bel Ami and Water for Elephants on your TBR pile - excellent! Can't wait to hear what you think about them.

You should see the movie Donnie Brasco after you read the book, Frankie. It'd be interesting to see how it differs, plus the movie is excellent! I love Johnny Depp and Al Pacino in it.

I think I've had WfE on my wishlist for quite a few years now, goodness knows when I'll get to it. Bel Ami was bought last year, I think, due to your recommendation. I think it's also on some of my reading challenges.

I think I do need to see DB, yes. But again, goodness knows when I'll get to that book, too :D

As Frankie has said and you have said before .. we make our own decisions and if we decide to read a book then it's down to us and if we hate it what does it matter? The sky won't cave in and the ground won't open up and swallow us (will it? )

It might! But even if the ground swallows us, we'll claw our ways to the other side and meet Kylie :D And maybe give her a piece of our minds, and then go bookshopping together.

Well the 1001 certainly backs you up, I think he has about eight books on there which is no mean achievement for a contemporary author ... Pratchett hasn't got any

Eight books?!? We'd better like him, for sure!!

haha ... Ok then I will at some point stick my 1001 list on my bookblog with all it's random ticks and crosses.

Oh goody! I'll have to go and have a look! :)

Yes, we will owe her bigtime. We may even have to submit to being her slave for alternate months ... but you can go first and then I know what I'm in for

Frankie went first when she came here last year. Didn't you know that I made her my slave in return for board? Mwahaha!

:D Phew! Yes, I've already done it, so it's really your turn now, poppyshake! If you want to make it as easy as possible on yourself, just buy Kylie a dishwasher and learn the Rocky Road recipe by heart. That'll do. :giggle:

Alan is weird in that he would rather look for books for me than for himself. He bought ONE book in Hay-on-Wye and I bought fifty something .. and that book was a non fiction book about Van Gogh. He thinks that I must know something after reading so many books and chatting on here for hours (how wrong can you be?) and he's determined to put that knowledge to use. So he looks for books I want, allows me to read them in peace and then asks me which one's I recommend for him.

There's a good lad :D

So far his favourite is probably 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell' which he is so in love with that he has started a painting of it but he also loved 'City of Thieves' by David Benioff. He doesn't get half as much time as I do to read, he works incredibly long shifts (which is why I get a lot of reading done) but I'm proud of him because he does try to fit in some reading amongst the action movies, formula one and rock music.

Wow, he's started a painting of it?! He's multitalented. I'd love to see photos of it but I do understand that maybe he doesn't want to show his work. The formula 1 craze worries me a bit, how can he enjoy young boys in male bodies driving around in circles, when he could use that time to read more? :giggle:

It was bad of you to say that about my poor cousin, very bad indeed, but then again her bookshelves have got ornaments on and no books .. so punish her I say

Uh oh, frankie faux pas'ed! Thank goodness for the ornaments :haha:

Ah, you devious women. What chance do we poor men have?

None :giggle:

well, you're right, but it was such a disappointing bookfair, it was only teeny tiny and mostly full of antiquated books and most of those were *shudders* hardbacks!! There didn't, on the surface of things, seem to be anything there for me.

Ach, that sucks! You should tell that to the organisers and have them improve their bookfair next year.

I liked that you found a copy of Love Letters of Great Men, that should be good :)

I had a horrible day the day before though, I went into a charity shop and bought a copy of 'The Winter Book' by Tove Jansson (after we'd just been talking about it) but on the way out a carousel full of books fell over and hit my head thud.gif I ended up with a cut and a lump on my forehead like an egg and had to walk ten minutes home with only half vision. The staff there didn't really help me which was annoying as it was because one of them was fiddling with another carousel nearby that the one that hit me fell over. Worse than that was that I had to go to a party last night looking like a battered wife (thank God for fringes but not for windy evenings.) 'The Winter Book' looks very disagreeable to me now ... I'm already ill disposed towards it.

Ouch!!! That must've hurt like hell. I confess, like Kylie I at first thought that the books bounced on you metaphorically and you bought the lot. What do you think that means? Maybe it just shows that we always expect you to buy a lot of books :giggle:

I can't believe the poor manners of the staff! Unless they are actually robots, they are human and every decent humanbeing near by should've helped and seen if you're alright and in need of assistance. Bloody hell!! And second, they're the staff, it's their carousel that's landed on you, so they should've definitely looked after you and apologized. You should've given them a piece of your mind, which was probably visible anyways because of the hole in your head!!! I'm glad that at least they'd moved the carousels after the incident.

Alan asked me later what the prime minister's name was .. I just said ''tw*t'' and he seemed satisfied that I'd remembered that much Watch out for book rage .. I didn't know they could actually launch an attack.

:haha: Trust you to tell a horror story like this and end up killing us with laughter!

I've been having a miserable week, I'm PMSing in a really bad way, I haven't been on such an emotional rollercoaster in ages. I'm so hoping that auntie Flo comes to visit asap! Also, they cut off the power and the internet on Tuesday, from 7 AM to 3.30 PM, because of the construction site. Yesterday the cut off the Internet again, and we'd been duely notified about these cut offs, but that didn't really make it better. However, they also cut off the water in the morning, yesterday, and I was so pissed, because that wasn't in the plan!! I got to flush the toilet alright but when I got to washing my hands they was no more water. :irked: I only had a little water in a water bottle, from the day before and had that and cottage cheese for breakfast, because couldn't make porridge. Then couldn't make food because I was out of oil and didn't want to go to the grocery store because hadn't been able to do a bit of washing up in the morning. God I was pissed! When the water came back on a few hours later, I was so relieved and went to the store, but got this really nasty stomach ache while I was at the cashier and had this cold sweat coming on. Then hurried back home to notice that the door to the building was locked! I needed to get home and use the loo and here's this stupid door locked when it shouldn't be. I cursed out loud and then this construction guy came over to open the door. Just told him I was having a really bad day and hence the cuss words. Oh I was so relieved to get home.

When it was 3.30 PM, the internet came back on, but the signal for the television didn't!!! They managed to botch that. So I couldn't watch my guilty pleasure, Come Dine with Me, which I'm absolutely obsessed about nowadays, and the Swedish equivalent, Halv Åtta hos Mig. :mad: :mad: :mad::banghead::hissyfit::motz:

So can I please, please go to a secondhand bookshop I've been dying to go to, and do a little comfort shopping today? :blush:

Edited by frankie

I'm very, very behind on my reviews so must get cracking!

40. On the Road

by Jack Kerouac (1001, RG-b)

from Amazon, by Publishers Weekly: Fans of Kerouac get the whole beautiful, groovy deal with this new recording of the radically hip novel that many consider the heart of the Beat movement. Poetic, open and raw, Kerouac's prose lays out a cross-country adventure as experienced by Sal Paradise, an autobiographical character. A writer holed up in a room at his aunt's house, Paradise gets inspired by Dean Moriarty (a character based on Kerouac's friend Neal Cassady) to hit the road and see America. From the moment he gets on the seven train out of New York City, he takes the reader through the highs and lows of hitchhiking, bonding with fellow explorers and opting for beer before food. First published in 1957, Kerouac's perennially hot story continues to express the restless energy and desire for freedom that makes people rush out to see the world. The tale is only improved by Dillon's well-paced, articulate reading as he voices the flow of images and graveled reality of Paradise's search for the edge.

Thoughts: I've been wanting to read this for ages, it's the classic of the classics, and mentioned in the Gilmore Girls :wink: And I wanted to love the book, so I was always very afraid of actually reading it, because I was worried that I wouldn't like it as much as I'd hoped. I found a Finnish copy of it some months ago for only a euro, so thought that the time has come, there's no avoiding it now.

What to say. We travel here and there. And back again, only to stay for awhile, before we're on the road again. The title really says it all. We encounter a lot of different people who are ill at ease, who get going while the going's good. It certainly isn't a plot driven novel. I expected a great deal of philosophical ponderings, thoughts that would go over my head. I was surprised at the lack of them, to my relief (and sort of to my disappointment). One of the attractions of the novel is the character of Dean Moriarty (who's based on Jack Kerouac's real life friend, Neal Cassady), who is all over the place, so to speak. He's like a psychedelic hallusion, who makes no sense what so ever.

Not as great as it could've been, but certainly worth the read and might hopefully improve on further reading.

4/5

Edited by frankie

1. The Secret Language of Eating Disorders

by Peggy Claude-Pierre

from Amazon: What makes Claude-Pierre's treatment of anorexia and bulimia revolutionary? Perhaps it's that the astonishingly high success rate of even the most chronic cases at Claude-Pierre's Montreux Clinic (only sufferers near death who have not been helped by doctors and hospitals are admitted) defies the common misconception that eating disorders are incurable. Claude-Pierre has made a personal commitment to dispel this damaging myth. Having cured her own two daughters of anorexia, you might say hers was a vested interest. The Secret Language of Eating Disorders reveals the details of Claude-Pierre's unique program.

Myths and misconceptions have shaped conventional treatment of anorexia and bulimia, leading to a cycle of hopelessness for those who suffer. Claude-Pierre's work reveals that victims share a common feeling of self-contempt. Further, she asserts that these overwhelming feelings of worthlessness are established at birth and slowly erode the healthy self. The revolutionary aspect of Claude-Pierre's program stems from her conviction that this negative mindset can be completely reversed.

The book describes the five stages of recovery, discusses the challenges peculiar to working with them at home, and presents a plan for working with health professionals. Also offered are stories of former Montreux patients, adding insight and depth to understanding these disorders. The book and the program have already saved many lives and will continue to do so.

Thoughts: I found this book for free at the library's book trolley and was intrigued, I'm interested in all things psychological. I randomly picked it up one evening and started reading it, and I was utterly fascinated. All I can really say about the book, is that if anyone knows someone with an eating disorder, they NEED to read this book. This is THE book to read. I've never understood what anorexia is about, and I don't think people who haven't had first or secondhand experience about it ever fully will, but this book definitely opened my eyes about the phenomena.

I loved it how at the end of the book there was a section of ex patients' own writings on the subject, how they used to be, and how they were treated, and how incredibly happy and lucky they now feel after they've been cured. I found these stories utterly inspiring, and they reminded me of how bad I was myself when my depression was really bad, and how much better I am nowadays.

5/5

Edited by frankie

Oliver's Story

by Erich Segal

This book is a sequel to Love Story, which I absolutely adored, and I adored this novel as well. There is no way of expressing how and why I loved the book so much, there really isn't. All I can say is that I'm definitely keeping the copy and will re-read it again, and I'm now all the more determined to read anything by Erich Segal.

What a crappy review :haha:

5/5

So can I please, please go to a secondhand bookshop I've been dying to go to, and do a little comfort shopping today? :blush:

Of course .. fill your boots :D

Poor Frankie :friends0: sounds like you had a horror of a day. I hate it when the power goes off, suddenly we're back to being prehistoric and we're just not built to cope with it .. even with notice I never manage to get batteries etc and can never find a torch or light a match successfully. I repeatedly try to put the kettle on and sulk because I can't make toast (the only reason for living surely.) The cats always get under my feet in the pitch dark and it's ten to one that by the end of the day one of us will end up with something broken. And to have no water on top of that :empathy: .. I feel your pain.

Hope all your nasty bugs and aches have subsided now and that you have found goodies at the bookshop.

:lol: 'Come Dine with Me' is addictive isn't it? I love it, it cheers me up no end when someone's sauce splits or their meringue collapses. I feel quite cheated if the episode doesn't feature at least one disaster. When I hear the words 'I've never cooked this before but ....' I pour myself another cup of tea and crack open the custard creams. I'd never take part because, even when I have good friends around for dinner, everything I know about cooking disappears out of my head and doesn't come back until they've gone home.

Apparently I can't go to the secondhand bookshop because the owner's decided that this is the most perfect week of the year to have his summer holidays!!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

(will come back later to reply to messages and write more reviews, but first need to take a chill pill and sort out the TV if possible)

Edited by frankie

I think I've had WfE on my wishlist for quite a few years now, goodness knows when I'll get to it. Bel Ami was bought last year, I think, due to your recommendation. I think it's also on some of my reading challenges.

I think I do need to see DB, yes. But again, goodness knows when I'll get to that book, too :D

Can I ask you how you decide on what order to read your books, Frankie? I'm just curious, because usually for myself, I have no idea what my next book will be. In my head, I don't let myself think about future reads because for one, I don't want it to distract me during my current read, and secondly I depend entirely on my mood when I'm ready to read my next book. Maybe because I don't go through books very quickly?

I was just curious :D. When you say you don't know when you'll get to a certain book, it makes me think you read them in order of when you purchased them or something like that.

Hi Frankie, feel better soon hen :hug:

You are such an eclectic reader, so many different books, its great to see. :)

Ps ~ How did you find 'Gump & Co' ? :)

Edited by Weave

Can I ask you how you decide on what order to read your books, Frankie? I'm just curious, because usually for myself, I have no idea what my next book will be. In my head, I don't let myself think about future reads because for one, I don't want it to distract me during my current read, and secondly I depend entirely on my mood when I'm ready to read my next book. Maybe because I don't go through books very quickly?

I was just curious :D. When you say you don't know when you'll get to a certain book, it makes me think you read them in order of when you purchased them or something like that.

Well, I think we're very much the same in how we pick our next reads, mood is the most important thing. When I finish a book I usually don't know which book to go for next and might end up reading something completely surprising. However, because I'm doing the 1001 Books challenge and the Rory challenge, and I've now started taking part in the reading circles as well, they tend to sometimes dictate which books need to be read at certain times.

We differ in one aspect though: if I'm not 100% into my current read, my mind sometimes wanders around to think about which book to read next :blush: And there's also this very odd trait I have: sometimes the books I want to read the most will be the last for me to read. It's like eating a bag of mixed candy: I usually start with the ones I like the least, and leave the good stuff til the end. So there can be books I'd really loved to read but will savour til later.

And then again, sometimes I just go for the ones that I want to read the most. So there really is no logic!

On another note: my day has improved since last post. I had to go groceryshopping and went to this store where they have gardening stuff, hobby stuff and whatnots for cheap prices. They also have this small flea market section and I haven't been there in ages. Because the secondhand bookshop was closed today, I went to this store on my way to the grocerystore. And tadaa, I found a copy of Lust for Life by Irving Stone! Which is basically a biography of Vincent van Gogh. It's a funny coincidence that peace should just have posted in this thread because I immediately thought of her when I found the book, and because I enjoy biographies I had to get it. It sounds interesting and peace would be proud :smile2:

Oliver's Story

by Erich Segal

This book is a sequel to Love Story, which I absolutely adored, and I adored this novel as well. There is no way of expressing how and why I loved the book so much, there really isn't. All I can say is that I'm definitely keeping the copy and will re-read it again, and I'm now all the more determined to read anything by Erich Segal.

What a crappy review :haha:

5/5

I remember weeping away at the end of the film Love Story, and weeping away again at the end of the book, so I will need to get a hold of this one! (You never know when you might need a bit of a therapeutic weep, I feel!)

Hope you are feeling better soon, frankie :friends0:

And tadaa, I found a copy of Lust for Life by Irving Stone! Which is basically a biography of Vincent van Gogh. It's a funny coincidence that peace should just have posted in this thread because I immediately thought of her when I found the book, and because I enjoy biographies I had to get it. It sounds interesting and peace would be proud :smile2:

I'm the one with the Van Gogh avatar and who also bought Lust for Life just a few months ago! And you thought of Peace? Hmph! I'm insulted. :cray:

I bought 2-3 books yesterday that I knew would make you proud of me. I thought of you when I was book shopping. Just sayin'... :P

Edited by Kylie

I'm the one with the Van Gogh avatar and who also bought Lust for Life just a few months ago! And you thought of Peace? Hmph! I'm insulted. :cray:

I bought 2-3 books yesterday that I knew would make you proud of me. I thought of you when I was book shopping. Just sayin'... :P

:unsure: Ack! I feel very embarrassed now. Ack!!! I knew someone had mentioned buying Lust for Life recently, but because I hadn't added that to my wishlist I couldn't check out who it was. And for some reason I thought it was peace.... :blush: See, I know you have the avatar. But peace is the one who always keeps on talking about van Gogh. Ack! I probably shouldn't say anything more about it, I'd probably only end up having multiple feet in my mouth...

I did look at your book haul yesterday and I was very pleased with so many of the items but didn't have time to post about it! I will do so today. And if it makes you feel any better, I'll have you know that this is my third day without a cigarette and each day I think about how proud Kylie would be if she knew. I just haven't told you before because I could relapse so easily and don't want to get your hopes up.

Oh boy I don't know if that saved anything. Will reply to the other posts soon, this one just seemed like rather an urgent one to reply.

'Come Dine with Me' is addictive isn't it? I love it, it cheers me up no end when someone's sauce splits or their meringue collapses. I feel quite cheated if the episode doesn't feature at least one disaster. When I hear the words 'I've never cooked this before but ....' I pour myself another cup of tea and crack open the custard creams. I'd never take part because, even when I have good friends around for dinner, everything I know about cooking disappears out of my head and doesn't come back until they've gone home.

It's highly addictive! I like reality TV but don't usually like the food shows (except for Top Chef US version), but this one I love! It's fun to see how 4-5 strangers get along, what kind of dishes people make (I just found out what beef Wellington is the other day! The UK version is definitely teaching me loads about the British cuisine), how people live, and the absolutely best part is the commentary, it always makes me laugh. The commentator in the Swedish version in particular is absolutely hilarious, I can never watch an episode without going into a hysterical laughing fit. And it's amazing how many people say that they've never cooked this and that before. a) then why do it now??, and b) are you sure you're not lying, if it turns out great? ;)

Fortunately for me, eventhough my TV was non-functional the whole weekend, I remembered to go and see if the episodes can be viewed online and thank goodness, they could! So I didn't miss anything after all. I also watched Four Weddings, the Finnish version, and there was a couple from where I live. They were about the same age as me but I didn't recognise them. They were really nice and won, good for them :) I never go for the wedding shows, but this one I just have to watch, because it's a competition. Some people can be really critical and negative, but fortunately there are always the nice ones too, to balance things out :)

Hi Frankie, feel better soon hen :hug:

You are such an eclectic reader, so many different books, its great to see. :)

Ps ~ How did you find 'Gump & Co' ? :)

Thanks Paula :friends3: I'm feeling a bit better now. I did enjoy reading Gump & Co., but it wasn't as good as Forest Gump. A decent read and a laugh, however . :) And I learnt about Jim Bakker, Tammy Faye and Jessica Hahn (at first I didn't know if it was a true story but then googled it because the names sounded familiar and yep, there was a scandal back in the day), which really helped because after reading the book I've been watching some episodes of The Golden Girls and coincidentally they've made a few jokes about those three people, and now I get the jokes. Heee :giggle:

I remember weeping away at the end of the film Love Story, and weeping away again at the end of the book, so I will need to get a hold of this one! (You never know when you might need a bit of a therapeutic weep, I feel!)

Hope you are feeling better soon, frankie :friends0:

I have to see the film! I don't think I'd never even heard of it before reading the book. If you liked Love Story, I think you'll like Oliver's Story as well. I don't know why I liked those novels so much, they were so simply and basic in a way, but they just managed to evoke so many feelings in me and I really felt for Oliver.

Oh boy I don't know if that saved anything. Will reply to the other posts soon, this one just seemed like rather an urgent one to reply.

Hehehe. It's OK. friends3.gif You've made up for it by making my post your first priority. smile2.gif

It's highly addictive! I like reality TV but don't usually like the food shows (except for Top Chef US version), but this one I love!

Ahem. I'm not trying to turn this into Pick On Frankie Day or anything, but I remember highly recommending Masterchef to you and you turned it down because you didn't like cooking shows! Hmph! Maybe I'll be able to convince you to watch the next season. The judges are rather funny (sometimes without meaning to be). I have to admit though, this season is a little lacklustre so far. I guess as it continues I'll get more interested in the contestants, but there are too many of them for me to care at the moment. And too many of the contestants are too similar to last seasons' contestants (I swear they pick them based on looks and their job, not cooking ability!)

Love ya Frankie! flowers2.gif

Hehehe. It's OK. :friends3: You've made up for it by making my post your first priority. smile2.gif

Wohoo! All is well in the world of frankie again! :friends3: No, wait.... :

Ahem. I'm not trying to turn this into Pick On Frankie Day or anything, but I remember highly recommending Masterchef to you and you turned it down because you didn't like cooking shows! Hmph! Maybe I'll be able to convince you to watch the next season. The judges are rather funny (sometimes without meaning to be). I have to admit though, this season is a little lacklustre so far. I guess as it continues I'll get more interested in the contestants, but there are too many of them for me to care at the moment. And too many of the contestants are too similar to last seasons' contestants (I swear they pick them based on looks and their job, not cooking ability!)

Well at least don't make it an annual day!! :irked:

:giggle2: I remember you recommending Masterchef to me. But like I said before, I don't enjoy watching food shows except for the Come Dine with Me ones. Why? They're funnier. They're not so serious. They're ordinary people who can (usually) cook. And the ordinary people are the ones who get the prize in the end. And the commentary! It's brill. With the food shows it gets too serious. I did my fair share of watching the one where Gordon Ramsay did 5-10 bollockings per episode but I grew so tired of it. He's what poppyshake said about their prime minister after the carousel incident (aren't allowed to say the word on this forum). I don't know why, but I do like Top Chef. I like Padma and the other judges, and there are some pretty quirky characters there. And oh btw, one season they had a Finnish chef on the show! He was one of the two runner ups. Didn't see that season though, for some reason, maybe it aired when I was in OZ :irked: And, to further defend myself, I don't even watch the Finnish Top Chef or Master Chef.

Edit: I really, really feel like sticking a ciggie between my lips. Instead stuck a nicorette gum in my mouth. Maybe I'll go to a secondhand bookshop or something to buy myself something for encouragement. Or maybe will watch my favorite Australian game show, now that I have a few new eps to watch, thanks to a certain Aussie lassie :D

Edited by frankie

Yay Frankie for not giving in to the ciggie! Definitely go to a bookshop and treat yourself for being so good.

You haven't watched all the episodes of the game show yet? I thought you would have devoured them straight away. ;)

All right, all right. I'll give up on trying to talk you into watching Masterchef. :)

You haven't watched all the episodes of the game show yet? I thought you would have devoured them straight away.

Well I would like to but BF insists he wants to watch them with me. :rolleyes: The last time we played, there was this mix of letters, and I got a long word, don't remember which one, and he got 'git' and then noticed that 'sure' is a longer word. And the letter mix was in this order: G, I, T, O, S, U, R, E. So how much of an effort did he really make??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: He was laughing his ass off when I told him off for it. I told him I'd never watch it with him again cause he was ruining it for me, and he said the next time we'll have pens and paper and he'll take it more seriously. Fat chance, I fear. I'll give him one more chance. If he doesn't behave, I'm watching all the other eps by myself.

haha.gifhaha.gifhaha.gif

There is one ep that I sent you and I managed to use all 9 letters! I was so proud of myself until something else happened (I won't spoil it for you; you'll know it when you see it).