Frankie Reads 2011

frankie

Yes I can believe that. All my kids like Oreos although I do not. Official confirmation I am not young I guess

Oreos/Dominos are gooood. Maybe your mouth's growing older, but you're still young at heart ;)

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Ben, glad to hear there are other fans too :friends0:The Truman Show is amazing, I never tire of watching it, as well as Bruce Almighty. One of my other favorite Carrey movies is Me, Myself & Irene, now that's pretty typical Carrey but it's sooo funny :D

Ooh I'll have to have a look at Me, Myself & Irene at some point; can't go wrong with typical Carrey, really.

Also, custard creams are amazing.

That is all.

Yeah I noticed yesterday or the day before yesterday on the Book Activity -thread that you're currently reading a book called Yes Man but I had no idea the movie is based on it or any other book. I now feel slightly embarrassed, having just recently ranted about a pal of mine who didn't know, for example, that Dexter the TV series is based on books. :blush::giggle: What goes around, comes around! I'm going to add the book to my wishlist, I'm definitely interested. How are you liking it so far?

I'm loving it - but then I love Danny Wallace's writing. I haven't seen the film so I don't know how the two compare.

Danny Wallace is a bespectacled, rather geeky TV presenter (amongst other things) here in the UK and his books are non-fiction. In this, he meets a man who tells him to "say yes more" so he decides to do just that, and this is about how that experiment went.

The previous books I've read have all been along the same lines - in one he started a 'cult' by just putting up posters/adverts saying "Join Me" with his phone number - and it's about how that escalated, and in another he gets given (by his Mum) and old address book from when he was at school, and sets about trying to track down all the people listed in it. I just love his humour. :)

ETA: I've just had a brief glance at IMDB.com, and it appears that Danny is called Carl in the film. :huh:

ETA Again: I've just found the following 'FAQ' on IMDB:

How closely does the movie follow the novel?

Those who have both read the novel and seen the movie say that mostly everything was changed -- plot, setting, and names -- although the basic premise of a man saying "yes" to everything offered to him was kept the same.

What a shame.

Edited by Janet

Ooh I'll have to have a look at Me, Myself & Irene at some point; can't go wrong with typical Carrey, really.

Also, custard creams are amazing.

That is all.

Do watch it, there are some very epic scenes in that movie that never fail to LOL me, no matter how many times I watch it. In fact, this is one of the few movies that I always watch whenever it's on TV.

Should I blame you or perhaps vodkafan for now making me all cookie hungry? I know vodkafan started it but you've now grabbed the torch and are carrying it :lol:

I'm loving it - but then I love Danny Wallace's writing. I haven't seen the film so I don't know how the two compare.

Danny Wallace is a bespectacled, rather geeky TV presenter (amongst other things) here in the UK and his books are non-fiction. In this, he meets a man who tells him to "say yes more" so he decides to do just that, and this is about how that experiment went.

The previous books I've read have all been along the same lines - in one he started a 'cult' by just putting up posters/adverts saying "Join Me" with his phone number - and it's about how that escalated, and in another he gets given (by his Mum) and old address book from when he was at school, and sets about trying to track down all the people listed in it. I just love his humour. :)

Thanks very much for the info on Danny Wallace, Janet! I've only known about the book a day or two, and it wasn't until today that you made me make the connection between the movie and the book, and now I learn that it's actually a non-fiction book! I'm now all the more excited about it, I think it'll be loads more interesting when I know it to be a true story. And the other books seem really interesting to do, Wallace seems like a rather spontaneous man who's not afraid of experimenting with unconventional things, I like that. I will most certainly look into his books.

ETA: I've just had a brief glance at IMDB.com, and it appears that Danny is called Carl in the film. :huh:

ETA Again: I've just found the following 'FAQ' on IMDB:

What a shame.

Well I know Hollywood likes to change things but to change such a tiny little detail seems weird and pointless.

I can see why you're disappointed that the movie is totally different from the book, but I'm actually glad because now I'll have no idea how the book ends, and what happens in between. Also, as much as I liked Carrey's performance as well as Zooey Deschanel's, the movie itself wasn't particularly excellent, just good.

Do watch it, there are some very epic scenes in that movie that never fail to LOL me, no matter how many times I watch it. In fact, this is one of the few movies that I always watch whenever it's on TV.

Should I blame you or perhaps vodkafan for now making me all cookie hungry? I know vodkafan started it but you've now grabbed the torch and are carrying it :lol:

I will definitely watch it now; your recommendation is glowing. As for the sudden need for cookies, I take no shame in being blamed for that. Can't beat a good biscuit or two. :lol:

I will definitely watch it now; your recommendation is glowing. As for the sudden need for cookies, I take no shame in being blamed for that. Can't beat a good biscuit or two. :lol:

Argh, you're too clever now :lol: I suppose I'll have to point the finger at vodkafan to get a reaction. Hey, vodkafan, what's the deal? Trying to make me gain weight? Huh? :giggle:

Aa David Strathairn, the name doesn't ring a bell but his face is very familiar, but I just can't remember where I've seen him. OMG now it hit me: he played the awful father in Dolores Claiborne. His picture gave me the shivers :D But then I also got the feeling that I've seen him as a sympathetic character in some other movie, and after some research I realised it was in The River Wild.

I also had to google the name Frances McDormand but the minute I saw her face I knew who you were talking about and I know you love her. She's great and has this likable feeling to her. Tony Shalhoub's excellent, allthough I've only seen him in Monk and Stark Raving Mad, which is one of the funniest comedies ever. Talk about the opposite ends of the spectrum, the characters he plays in those are very, very different :lol:

Oh yeah! Strathairn played that horrible man in DC. I forgot about that. I think the only other thing I've seen him in was Sneakers, which is a most excellent film. Have you seen it? It even has River Phoenix in it... Frances is the best!! :D She's married to one of the best directors of all time so she is without fault (mostly lol). Add to your list of films to see Franke - Big Night and The Impostors. Both excellent Tony Shaloub films. Oh, and Tony is Lebanese! Therefore, he rocks.

I found out that the international title of Kuutamolla is Lovers & Leavers, does that mean that there's a copy of it with subtitles? Ah, if it's David Fincher and you like him then I understand. Didn't he have something to do with Se7en? Now that's one heck of a good movie, but incredibly disturbing, and graphic.

Thanks for passing on the international titles of that films, Frankie. I'll search for it under that title too. David Fincher directed Se7en, which I'll admit I've only seen bits of because of it's highly disturbing quality. I've seen all of his other films though with my favorite being Zodiac, which was also disturbing, but not on the same level. It was a true story and so wonderfully done IMO.

The thing about Carrey is that most people remember his goofiest movies only. And then when they do deeper and start to really remember all the things he's done there seems to be an endless list of movies, which IMO have been pretty great, at least most of them. Do you remember when there was this bearded, long-haired man in the Oscars (or in some other gala) and nobody really knew who he was and it turned out it was Jim Carrey, in some costume, and I think he was playing a character he was just filming, or something? Or does my memory play it's nasty tricks on me again? Would you happen to remember which movie it was that the character came from?

That's true about Carrey. He's so physical most of the time in his acting, and he's done so many comedies that that's how people remember him. I remember the bearded hippie-looking guy running up on stage (I think it was the MTV movie awards) but I don't remember if it was for a film, sorry! I do hope you'll watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind again, Frankie. It's filmmaking at its best IMO and Carrey's character Joel is so kind of sad and lost.

I think Will Ferrell is nothing like Jim Carrey, I think they are on completely different levels, I consider Ferrell to be more camp and not so serious about his career (this is just my gut feeling that isn't really based on anything). I feel like I've seen Ferrell in everything but now that I'm looking at his imdb profile, I've only seen him on SNL (the epic skit with Carrey, Ferrell and Jimmy Fallon (?) in the clubs, dancing to Haddaway's What Is Love is from SNL, right?), Old School, The Legend of Ron Burgundy and Blades of Glory. I think he has a lot of potential but I don't like the movies he's in, except for Blades of Glory which was really good, with Jon Heder, who's a legend, from Napoleon Dynamite. You've seen it right?

I don't necessarily think Ferrell and Carrey are alike themselves, but for me, they just represent two comedic actors who I only really love in serious film roles. Call me crazy! :lol: Although it's funny, because I do laugh at them both when they are on SNL. I've not seen any of those films of Will's you mentioned but I have seen Napoleon Dynamite quite a few times and thought it was hilarious.

I haven't seen Stranger than Fiction but I think I should, I'll make a note of it. And yep I remember you're a fan of Zooey's sister, how could one not know/forget? :lol:

Yes! See it! Emma Thompson, Dustin Hoffman and Queen Latifah are also in it. Oh and I Maggie Gyllenhaal (sp)! Such great thoughts/philosphies to contemplate in that film. Superb.

Oreos, YUM! I have a weak spot for those darn things. During Christmas the market Trader Joe's sells their version with candy cane-laced filling and I about die. I make it a point never to have a box near me of either those kind or the original.

Thanks very much for the info on Danny Wallace, Janet! I've only known about the book a day or two, and it wasn't until today that you made me make the connection between the movie and the book, and now I learn that it's actually a non-fiction book! I'm now all the more excited about it, I think it'll be loads more interesting when I know it to be a true story. And the other books seem really interesting to do, Wallace seems like a rather spontaneous man who's not afraid of experimenting with unconventional things, I like that. I will most certainly look into his books.

Okay, well whilst his books stand alone, Join Me is the first (not including Are You Dave Gorman? which is a joint collaboration with... Dave Gorman. I've yet to read this) and Random Acts of Kindness is a sort of sequel to Join Me. Although, as I've said, it's not majorly important to read them in order, Join Me does refer to people who are mentioned in later books.

(Is this making sense - it's not coming out very well! :lol: )

I would be more than happy to send you my copy of Join Me, but don't feel obliged. :)

I do wonder if the humour will translate very well, or if it's rather too British?! I hope you don't read it and think "what is that Janet on about - it's rubbish" :blush::giggle2:

Argh, you're too clever now :lol: I suppose I'll have to point the finger at vodkafan to get a reaction. Hey, vodkafan, what's the deal? Trying to make me gain weight? Huh? :giggle:

No! I just happened to be eating a custard cream as I was reading your blog so thought I would ask.

I've been reading through Cult Fiction – A Reader's Guide by Andrew Calcutt & Richard Shephard, and I think it was a big mistake, because I now have to add a lot of books to my wishlist. :blush:

This post will serve as a memo to myself.

Iain Banks: Walking on Glass

Richard Brautigan: Trout Fishing in America

Poppy Z. Brite: Lost Souls

Poppy Z. Brite: Drawing Blood

Poppy Z. Brite: Exquisite Corpse (re-read)

Poppy Z. Brite: Courtney Love – The Real Story

Poppy Z. Brite: The Crow

Charles Bukowski: Ham on Rye (autobiography)

Truman Capote: Other Voices, Other Rooms

biography of Truman Capote

Don DeLillo: White Noise

Don DeLillo: Libra

Don DeLillo: Mao II

Philip K. Dick: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Joan Didion: Slouching Towards Bethlehem

Joan Didion: The White Album

Joan Didion: The Sentimental Journeys

Kinky Friedman: Greenwich Killing Time

biography of Kinky Friedman

Jean Genet: Our Lady of the Flowers

Jean Genet: A Thief's Journal

André Gide: The Immoralist

André Gide: Journals 1888-1949

Dashiel Hammett: Red Harvest

Dashiel Hammett: The Maltese Falcon

Joseph Heller: Something Happened

Hermann Hesse: Steppenwolf

Herbert Huncke: Huncke's Journal

Herbert Huncke: Guilty of Everything

Jerome K. Jerome: Three Men in a Boat

Horace McCoy: No Pockets in a Shroud

Horace McCoy: I Should Have Stayed at Home

Ryu Murakami: Almost Transparent Blue

biography on Dorothy Parker

Luke Rhineheart: The Dice Man

Tom Wolfe: The Right Stuff

Tom Wolfe: The Bonfire of Vanities

The following are from different little sections on the book, so the wordings and descriptions are not mine, they're straight quotes from the book:

B is for Black:

Richard Wright – the black existentialist

Clarence Cooper Jr – the black William Burroughs

Iceberg Slim – turned from pimping flesh to pushing words

James Baldwin – black, gay, bug-eyed and brilliant

Malcolm X – from crime and despair to salvation

C is for Coke: books fuelled by the real thing

Postcards from the Edge by Carrie Fisher – cokehead rehab California style

Iced by Ray Shell – raw confessions of a crackfiend

Cocaine Nights by J. G. Ballard – murder in a hedonistic community on the Costa del Sol

C is for the Counter-Culture: 5 novels to help you free the hippy within

Trout Fishing in America by Richard Brautigan – a surreal search for the perfect fishing spot

Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse – self-realisation classic beloved of the Woodstock generation

Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins – hippy happenings at a highway hotdog hut

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig – on the road in search of spiritual renewal

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe – wacked-out antics of the Merry Pranksters

L is for Losing It

Briefing for a Descent into Hell by Doris Lessing – a personal account of a descent into madness

The Trick Is to Keep Breathing by Janice Galloway – claustrophobic tale of succumbing to a dark depression

P is for Psychopath: killing with confidence – 13 of literature's Most Wanted

My Idea of Fun by Will Self – killing for the reality distorting Fat Controller

The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson – a small town sheriff is harbouring a sadistic psychopath

The Butcher Boy by Patrick McCabe – an Irish psycho's coming of age, Huck Finn meets Hannibal Lecter

Child of God by Cormac McCarthy – a backwater serial killer roams the Tennessee hills

The End of Alice by A. M. Homes – inside the mind of a pederast child killer

Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite – blood-soaked cannibalistic serial killer gay romance (re-read)

The Bad Seed by William March – serial killing at the age of eight in small town Alabama

R is for On the Road: 10 novels to fill up your backpack

On the Road by Jack Kerouac – from East to West Coast and back again, the original blacktop poem

Beatniks by Toby Litt – the Beat life sort of relived in 90s Britain

Hungry Men by Edward Anderson – riding the roads and rails in search of work in Depression America

Factotum by Charles Bukowski – home is where the next drink is

Nearly Roadkill by Caitlin Sullivan & Kate Bornstein – crunches and prangs on the information highway

The Odyssey by Homer – everything that can happen to a man on his way home

Somebody in Boots by Nelson Algren – tramping through Depression America

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig – a roadmap for the soul on two wheels

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins – big thumbs keeps on hitchin'

W is for Wild Young Things: 15 novels about juvenile delinquents

Rule of the Bone by Russell Banks – growing up lost in slacker culture

Blackboard Jungle by Evan Hunter – 50s urban classroom terrorists

The Tiger Among Us by Leigh Brackett – revenge of the vigilante

Dreadful Summit by Stanley Ellin – talks like a kid, kills like a man

The Bad Seed by William March – underage sweet Miss serial-killer

The Cement Garden by Ian McEwan – the seeds of incest

Net of Jewels by Ellen Gilchrist – tales of an amphetamine-fuelled rich Southern Miss

Edited by frankie

Hi Frankie,

I can't wait to see what happens when you release your inner hippy ! Don't like the sound of the psychopath books though. The end of Alice sounds particularly disturbing- probably because I have a daughter called Alice. :(

Oh yeah! Strathairn played that horrible man in DC. I forgot about that. I think the only other thing I've seen him in was Sneakers, which is a most excellent film. Have you seen it? It even has River Phoenix in it... Frances is the best!! She's married to one of the best directors of all time so she is without fault (mostly lol). Add to your list of films to see Franke - Big Night and The Impostors. Both excellent Tony Shaloub films. Oh, and Tony is Lebanese! Therefore, he rocks.

I've seen Sneakers, duh, there's River Phoenix in it :lol: I didn't much like the movie, it just wasn't the sort of thing I like watching, and River played way too small a role in it. Yep I just read Shalhoub's details on imdb yesterday and realised he's Lebanese. But why do Lebanese in particular rock in your opinion? I'll add those movies to my list, it's getting pretty long thanks to you :lol:

Thanks for passing on the international titles of that films, Frankie. I'll search for it under that title too. David Fincher directed Se7en, which I'll admit I've only seen bits of because of it's highly disturbing quality. I've seen all of his other films though with my favorite being Zodiac, which was also disturbing, but not on the same level. It was a true story and so wonderfully done IMO.

I have Zodiac on DVD but I can't remember if it's the David Fincher one or the other. A friend of mine has also read a book about it and it's supposed to be really good. I just hate the fact that the case has never been solved.

That's true about Carrey. He's so physical most of the time in his acting, and he's done so many comedies that that's how people remember him. I remember the bearded hippie-looking guy running up on stage (I think it was the MTV movie awards) but I don't remember if it was for a film, sorry! I do hope you'll watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind again, Frankie. It's filmmaking at its best IMO and Carrey's character Joel is so kind of sad and lost.

I think I'll have to do some investigating on the bearded hippie-looking guy role me thinks :cool:

Okay, well whilst his books stand alone, Join Me is the first (not including Are You Dave Gorman? which is a joint collaboration with... Dave Gorman. I've yet to read this) and Random Acts of Kindness is a sort of sequel to Join Me. Although, as I've said, it's not majorly important to read them in order, Join Me does refer to people who are mentioned in later books.

(Is this making sense - it's not coming out very well! )

I would be more than happy to send you my copy of Join Me, but don't feel obliged.

I do wonder if the humour will translate very well, or if it's rather too British?! I hope you don't read it and think "what is that Janet on about - it's rubbish"

:lol: It did make some kind of sense, yes, I'll make sure I read Join Me first. I'm sorely tempted to say yes to your offer, which was by the way very kind of you, but I don't want you to part with your book on my account, and I just checked play.com and I can get the book on a reasonable price, probably cheaper than what the sending would cost you. Thank you very much anyways! Now I'm a bit worried though, if you're wondering whether the humour will translate. I've read British novels and some humour I get, and at the same time I sometimes wonder if there's more to it than I'm getting. I'll just risk it and read it sometime :D

No! I just happened to be eating a custard cream as I was reading your blog so thought I would ask.

I can't wait to see what happens when you release your inner hippy ! Don't like the sound of the psychopath books though. The end of Alice sounds particularly disturbing- probably because I have a daughter called Alice. :(

Well okay, I guess you didn't have any hidden agendas. I'm still craving them though. :irked:

The End of Alice definitely sounds disturbing and must be, and I can definitely understand why you'd never go with anything like that. I find it disturbing too, but at the same time the human mind and psychopathy interests me so much that I can't help but read all kinds of things every now and then. I guess I always want to see what makes people turn so bad, and how do bad people reason their behaviour. Not that their reasoning always makes sense, one has to be pretty effed up to be so cruel.

I will now up-date my "book reviews".

Riikka Pulkkinen: Totta (3/5)

This is a Finnish novel that competed in the Finlandia book awards in 2010. My very short thoughts on it will be in Finnish, because let's face it, probably not one of you guys will ever read this book :P

Tästä on jo aikaa kun luin, hieman on päässyt jo unohtumaan. Kirjan kansiväristä jäI kirjaan itsekkin sellainen violetin punertava hehku joka säilyy ajatuksissa aina kun kirja tulee mieleen. Eniten jäI mietityttämään Anna, lähinnä psykologisesta näkökulmasta, että mikä sillä loppujen lopuksi oli. Kerronta oli sujuvaa ja kirja vei mukanaa, olisi melkein ansainnut jopa 4/5. Muistapa seurata Pulkkisen uraa jatkossakin, ja lue se Raja.

Gustave Flaubert: Madame Bovary (2/5)

I don't want to bother with this one. For at least 5 years I've wanted to get this book crossed off the 1001 Books list, and I've tried reading the book at least 5 times, but I could never manage to get past the first 5-10 pages. So now that I've read the book, I feel so liberated that I don't want to ponder over it any longer, because this is not a uni assignment. I feel free like a bird flying in the sky :lol: It wasn't totally bad, it was much better than I'd expected. Hated Emma though.

Joel Haahtela: Katoamispiste (3/5)

^ see Totta. Tätä kirjaa olisi pitänyt lukea hitaammin ja makustella tarkemmin, missasin varmaan todella monta erinomaista pointtia eksistentialismista ja kaikesta hienosta ja ylevästä ajattelusta. Meneekö elämä yleensä niinkuin kirjassa, jokainen ihminen linkittyy johonkin ja lopulta kaikki toisiinsa ja pian ollaan liitutaululla yhtenä vyyhtinä kuin L-koodin lesbotaulussa. Mut ei huono ollenkaan, Haahtelaakin voisi lukea enemmän. Ehkä tämä kirja sytyttää ensi kerralla paremmin.

----------------------

Emma Donoghue:

Room

I don't want to write a review about this one because my words would fail me, it is way too superb. So instead, I'll just say that it's sad, it's beautiful, in style and story. I loved it and will keep re-reading it. Thanks to everyone on the BCF who's read it and written a review on it, I wouldn't have stumbled on this gem without you guys! :hug:

I also want to quote the three reviews on the back cover of the novel, because they say it much better than I ever could:

"Room is one of the most profoundly affecting books I've read in a long time. Jack moved me greatly. His voice, his story, his innocence, his love for Ma combine to create something very unusual and, I think, something very important" John Boyne, author of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

"I loved Room. Such incredible imagination, and dazzling use of language. And with all this, an entirely credible, endearing little boy. It's unlike anything I've ever read before" Anita Shreve, author of A Change in Altitude and Testimony

"Room is that rarest of entities, an entirely original work of art. I mean it as the highest possible praise when I tell you that I can't compare it to any other book. Suffice to say that it's potent, darkly beautiful, and revelatory" Michael Cunningham , author of The Hours and Specimen Days (and A Home at the End of the World, which will be discussed in the reading circle in April)

Edited by frankie

The End of Alice[/b] definitely sounds disturbing and must be, and I can definitely understand why you'd never go with anything like that. I find it disturbing too, but at the same time the human mind and psychopathy interests me so much that I can't help but read all kinds of things every now and then. I guess I always want to see what makes people turn so bad, and how do bad people reason their behaviour. Not that their reasoning always makes sense, one has to be pretty effed up to be so cruel.

I just think that humans are capable of anything. There are no limits to how loving and altruistic a human can be, but the other side of the coin is that there are no limits to how low and hateful and twisted someone can get either. It is a strong theory that serial killers and psychopaths are a product of the industrial revolution , living in cities etc; I read that somewhere. I could read about that side of it, the why? Maybe you have read more frankie?

I just think that humans are capable of anything. There are no limits to how loving and altruistic a human can be, but the other side of the coin is that there are no limits to how low and hateful and twisted someone can get either. It is a strong theory that serial killers and psychopaths are a product of the industrial revolution , living in cities etc; I read that somewhere. I could read about that side of it, the why? Maybe you have read more frankie?

Oh I'm with you on the fact that there's just no limit to how evil people can be. I guess I just always want to know "why? and what made this person be so bad and do all these things?" eventhough I know that there aren't always clear cut explanations.

Interesting theory, I've never heard of it before. If you later remember where you read it, feel free to come back and enlighten me more :) I've read loads of books about serial killers, rapists, child molesters etc. but I don't think I've ever read any general theory on it. I know there are a couple of people here on the forum who've studied criminal psychology etc, I think missy_bct (sp?) was one of them, and I have an idea who the other one was but I'll have to check first.

Edit: anisia aka Mona has read Understanding Criminal Behaviour and she's written about it in her reading blog, you could ask her. I took a further look at the thread and Ben's been doing some reading on the subject as well.

Edited by frankie

I'm so pleased you enjoyed 'Room' Frankie, Jack was such a wonderful character, I know I will read it again and again :)

I had such great expectations on this novel because of all the raving reviews, and I was pretty sure I would like the book, but I had no idea that it was going to be even better than I could've ever imagined. The characters were well thought of, the plot is thrilling, the style of writing and the language is amazing, and the book is so well researched! There were tiny little details that gave away the fact that Donoghue has really done some serious studying on the subject, but she didn't use the details to show us readers that she knows about the subject, they were well thought out and carefully placed to just go with the story. Marvellous!

Had a little look at the list Frankie most of them I haven't read but Steppenwolf I read when I was much younger I didn't really enjoy it I think it was a bit over my head & Cocaine Nights I have on my TBR pile :)

Your cult fiction list is very impressive Frankie, I hope you enjoy them. :)

Edited by Weave

Wow, what a great list of books you've posted from the Cult Fiction book! I'm going to have to add a lot of them to my own wish list. :)

I'll be interested to see which books you added to your own wishlist, do you think you'll just add them on the first page, or will you make a post about it in your thread? I mean, if only the former it'll be harder for me to see which books you added, and my curiosity might just kill me :giggle:

Had a little look at the list Frankie most of them I haven't read but Steppenwolf I read when I was much younger I didn't really enjoy it I think it was a bit over my head & Cocaine Nights I have on my TBR pile :)

Steppenwolf was recommended/mentioned on two separate occasions in the book so I just had to add it, although now I can't remember what it's supposed to be about. I'll have to go back and refresh my memory. If only there was a button to press, like on the Internet...

Your cult fiction list is very impressive Frankie, I hope you enjoy them. :)

I hope so too, that is if I ever get to actually reading them, so many books, so little time... :giggle2:

I'll be interested to see which books you added to your own wishlist, do you think you'll just add them on the first page, or will you make a post about it in your thread? I mean, if only the former it'll be harder for me to see which books you added, and my curiosity might just kill me :giggle:

I haven't decided yet. I almost hope l just forget about your post so I don't have to expand my wish list. I already have something like 115+ books on there. :)

I haven't decided yet. I almost hope l just forget about your post so I don't have to expand my wish list. I already have something like 115+ books on there. :)

I understand, it's enough that one has a TBR with three digits, we don't really need wishlists that compete in size... :blush:

Such a great review of 'Room' Frankie and it's a relief because when I heard it being reviewed on 'Newsnight review' (a programme that reviews all things to do with the arts) as part of their Booker 2010 review, the majority of the panel didn't like it or at least the general concensus was that the child talked in a way that was far too advanced for his five years and was unconvincing. Jeanette Winterson was on there .. and I respect her opinion (though not as much as yours) but I think she was another who was anti .. in any case I know she was bewailing the fact that David Mitchell hadn't made the shortlist.

They are all a bit po-faced and serious on there though and I think they forget that, on the whole, the general reading public just want to read a great story well told .. and don't necessarily want to wade through pages of complex twaddle that will make their heads hurt just because it's deemed innovative and ground breaking (I'm still thinking about Nick Hornby's tussle with Iain M. Banks's 'Excession' ... made me laugh so much thinking of his face when he read the opening chapter title .... 'CGU Grey Area signal sequence file #n428857/119' :lol: )

The 'Culture Show' did their own little 'Booker Prize 2010' by taking copies of all six books to a little town in Scotland called Comrie, asking the residents to read them all and then vote .. they chose 'Room' as their favourite .. but of course the real award went to 'The Finkler Question' .. but then I've heard it said by many a Booker judge that it's often the book that is everybody's second or third choice that wins.

Anyway, you say it's good .. and that's good enough for me :) I must, must read it.

And I have to say that .. though I'm most probably biased ... Bourbon biscuits are nicer than Oreo's but Custard Creams are better than both. But, though I realise I am now guilty of it, biscuit worship (also called cookie lust) should be banned from this forum. I thought I was safe from temptation as long as I didn't stray into 'food and cooking' .. now, even though I was innocently looking up book reviews, I've got the munchies :snack: