Frankie Reads 2011

frankie

Great review Frankie and I am looking to hearing what you think of 'The Woman in Black', its a fantastic read, very creepy, full of atmosphere :)

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My edition of The Woman in Black has 160 pages, so I wouldn't worry too much. I don't think yours is abridged.

I'm so jealous that you found a copy of Night! I've read nothing but good reviews from the folk at Goodreads and I really want to read it. Did you know that it's the first of a trilogy?

I've only read one book/novella by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu and I loved it. I think I have a short story of his in that huge book of horror stories that I bought while you were here. :)

Yep, I also checked the copies of The Woman in Black on play.com and their editions were 160 pages so I think I have the whole story and no-one has been meddling with the book :)

If I'm not totally mistaken, Abby has read Night and I think she really enjoyed it. It's supposed to be a really good book. But I had no idea it's a trilogy :rolleyes:

Do you remember the title of the Le Fanu book you read? I lucked out, the Le Fanu's that are on the 1001 Books list are not the one that I borrowed from the library. I might take a look into the book anyways, though. I remember that huge book of horror stories you got, what a great trip to the secondhand bookshop. Although we didn't get very much credit :rolleyes::giggle2:

Great review Frankie and I am looking to hearing what you think of 'The Woman in Black', its a fantastic read, very creepy, full of atmosphere :)

Thanks Weave! :) As a matter a fact, I finished my other read last night and picked up The Woman in Black after that. Didn't manage to read many pages before falling asleep but that's what I'm reading at the moment :)

The Kabul Beauty School

by Deborah Rodriguez

Blurb: Arriving in Afghanistan in 2002 with nothing more than a beauty degree and a desire to help, Deborah Rodriguez set out on a course of action that would change her life and those of many Afghan women. The once proud tradition of beauty schools had been all but destroyed and with it Afghan women's ability to support themselves. As one of the founders of the Kabul Beauty School, Deborah set about training women and helping them rebuild their lives.

Kabul Beauty School is a remarkable tale of an extraordinary community of women, all of whom had stories to tell, who came together and learned the arts of perms, friendship, and freedom.

Thoughts: This was rather a random buy for me, I'd never heard of the book but the blurb sounded so interesting I thought I'd like to read it. When I started the book I realised that it was actually a true story, and not fiction. This didn't bother me one bit because I quite enjoy autobiographical books. And I was not disappointed. At first we meet Deborah Rodriguez with Roshanna, preparing for Roshanna's wedding. It is a fixed marriage and Roshanna has never met her fiancee before. This is common in Afghanistan and while everyone is accustomed to these things on the surface, everyone still has their own feelings and uptake on the whole thing. Roshanna is naturally scared, but not only for the reasons we can think of. We get to witness the whole ceremony and it's after-ceremonies and it makes a pretty harrowing read.

Afterwards we get to read about Deborah's past and how she ended up in Afghanistan in the first place. When a big group of American volunteers is sent to Afghanistan and they get together there to introduce themselves, Deborah pretty soon realises that she is the only one who doesn't have a degree in medicine, law, or any other kind that would really help the Afghans. She seems a bit embarrassed that she's only a hairdresser and she fears the moment when she herself is introduced to the others. The second her occupation is revealed, there's aplauding and a standing ovation with people shrieking of delight: there's not one beauty salon in the neighborhood and some people have had to travel up to 9 hours to another town to get highlights. I was so happy that people had such a reaction, I felt sorry for Deborah when she was feeling she couldn't actually contribute to anything and couldn't really help.

Little by little the Kabul Beauty School is opened and we get to meet the students. Their reasons for wanting to go to school vary a little: some want to really be hairdressers, others want to make money, and others want to get a job so they can leave their house and husband for a few hours a day. No man is allowed on the premises of the beauty school because there are bareheaded women, and this makes the beauty school a kind of a safe haven for a lot of the women. Little by little their own stories and destinies start to unravel and sometimes, most times, it makes a really disturbing read. There seems to be no limit to how many different ways these Afghan women can be both physically and emotionally abused.

In many ways this is a pretty disturbing read, but there are also stories about little victories for women. And the Kabul Beauty School itself promotes the freedom of the women. And from a cultural point-of-view this makes an excellent read and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning how very different lives the Afghan women lead compared to the Western world.

4/5

Edited by frankie

Do you remember the title of the Le Fanu book you read? I lucked out, the Le Fanu's that are on the 1001 Books list are not the one that I borrowed from the library. I might take a look into the book anyways, though. I remember that huge book of horror stories you got, what a great trip to the secondhand bookshop. Although we didn't get very much credit :rolleyes::giggle2:

I just had to look it up because I couldn't remember the title, despite loving it. rolleyes.gif It's called Carmilla and it's a vampire story said to be the inspiration behind Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's quite a short story and very good. :) Actually we read both of those books for a comparative reading circle here a few years ago.

Today I read several chapters of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test and a bit of Riddley Walker. I also spent a bit of time re-arranging my wish list at the Book Depository.

I still haven't received my last book in the mail. :(

Ah, Carmilla, of course. I've heard about it's merits :) I should read it at some point.

I'm sure you'll get your book soon :empathy: I still have 4 books coming my way and I've been waiting for them to arrive from last Friday!! Talk about extreme anticipation.. :rolleyes:

I just found out the first two books that will be reviewed on the First Tuesday Book Club when it returns in March: Our Kind of Traitor by John Le Carre and Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert. :D I have the latter on my TBR pile so it looks like I'll be making that a February read.

Oops, looks like I got my threads mixed up. I meant to post that stuff about my reading in the Book Activity thread. Sorry Frankie! giggle.gif But thank you for commenting. :)

Hehe, I actually did think that the rest of your message sounded a bit like a post for the Book Activity thread but I couldn't just dismiss it, that would be rude :empathy::lol:

I just found out the first two books that will be reviewed on the First Tuesday Book Club when it returns in March: Our Kind of Traitor by John Le Carre and Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert. :D I have the latter on my TBR pile so it looks like I'll be making that a February read.

Oooooh!! When we went to the show, it seemed like it was going for such a long break and it would take ages til the show's back on TV, and now it's already the end of January (well we're getting there!) and now they've already posted about the next reads! Goody goody! :smile2: Goddangit, I've started reading Madame Bovary for maybe 4-5 times and I never got further than maybe 10 pages. Why did they have to pick that book?? I even gave my copy away to a friend because I hated having the book around :blush:

I'm surprised at the John Le Carre choice, doesn't he write thrillers?

Edit: And thank you so much for posting about the books and the updates on the FTBC, much appreciated!! :friends3:

Edited by frankie

Oooooh!! When we went to the show, it seemed like it was going for such a long break and it would take ages til the show's back on TV, and now it's already the end of January (well we're getting there!) and now they've already posted about the next reads! Goody goody! :smile2: Goddangit, I've started reading Madame Bovary for maybe 4-5 times and I never got further than maybe 10 pages. Why did they have to pick that book?? I even gave my copy away to a friend because I hated having the book around :blush:

I'm surprised at the John Le Carre choice, doesn't he write thrillers?

Edit: And thank you so much for posting about the books and the updates on the FTBC, much appreciated!! :friends3:

They haven't officially posted anything on their website, but I was browsing around and they have a list of recent Twitter tweets (or whatever) and in one of those they mentioned the books. I was lucky to spot it! :D

Yes, I think Le Carre writes thrillers, but they've done thrillers before. I thought you had read Madame Bovary and didn't like it. I didn't realise you hadn't read it all the way through though. Maybe you'll enjoy it more if you can get past those first few pages?

No probs. I will happily continue to send you updates on the FTBC, unless you would rather find things out for yourself, in which case I'll leave you alone. :giggle2:

They haven't officially posted anything on their website, but I was browsing around and they have a list of recent Twitter tweets (or whatever) and in one of those they mentioned the books. I was lucky to spot it! :D

Yes, I think Le Carre writes thrillers, but they've done thrillers before. I thought you had read Madame Bovary and didn't like it. I didn't realise you hadn't read it all the way through though. Maybe you'll enjoy it more if you can get past those first few pages?

No probs. I will happily continue to send you updates on the FTBC, unless you would rather find things out for yourself, in which case I'll leave you alone. :giggle2:

That's weird that they should twitter about the books but not have them listed on the webcite as an update post!! Dang that Marieke, the busy little twitterer :D I wonder if Jason twitters. I would go all *tweet* on him.

After writing my previous post I went to copy+paste the books you mentioned to my FTBC challenge on the first page and noticed that they have already read and discussed a John Le Carre. I knew they did thrillers, but somehow in my mind, even without having read one single Le Carre, I thought he was a bit like Ian Fleming with his Bonds. Keeps turning out books all the time but they're all the same. I have no idea where I got that idea from. Well anyways, seeing how prejudiced I am, it'll do me good to have to read two of his books :lol:

I'll give Madame Bovary another shot, yes. But I'm not looking forward to it at the moment. I hope it'll turn out a great read, I'll try and keep an open mind.

No, I definitely don't mind your coming here and posting about new FTBC stuff!! I'm more than happy to have you as messenger :smile2:

Today I'm going to take the train and visit BF and I have the same old, same old problem as always: which books to pack?! This time the problem is I have too many choices and I can't take them all with me. Hmph :smile2:

Edited by frankie

After writing my previous post I went to copy+paste the books you mentioned to my FTBC challenge on the first page and noticed that they have already read and discussed a John Le Carre. I knew they did thrillers, but somehow in my mind, even without having read one single Le Carre, I thought he was a bit like Ian Fleming with his Bonds. Keeps turning out books all the time but they're all the same. I have no idea where I got that idea from. Well anyways, seeing how prejudiced I am, it'll do me good to have to read two of his books :lol:

I'll give Madame Bovary another shot, yes. But I'm not looking forward to it at the moment. I hope it'll turn out a great read, I'll try and keep an open mind.

No, I definitely don't mind your coming here and posting about new FTBC stuff!! I'm more than happy to have you as messenger :smile2:

Today I'm going to take the train and visit BF and I have the same old, same old problem as always: which books to pack?! This time the problem is I have too many choices and I can't take them all with me. Hmph :smile2:

Aah, I thought they might have reviewed a Le Carre before but I wasn't too sure so I didn't say anything. smile2.gif

You may not be able to take them all with you, but I've seen how many books you can fit in that suitcase of yours! Come on, you can pack loads!! Stop making excuses and just pack them all, woman!

You may not be able to take them all with you, but I've seen how many books you can fit in that suitcase of yours! Come on, you can pack loads!! Stop making excuses and just pack them all, woman!

:lol: That was my international Australia book buying frenzy suitcase!! I bought it for the trip and haven't used it since. I don't use it whenever I come over to BF's! Although that would be awesome....

I had a really amazing book activity day today. I was going to write about it on the Book Activity thread, but since my post will also contain stories about dogs, I thought I'd post it here instead.

The morning started with a PM from a certain awesome BCF member, making a really nice book-related offer. This reminded me that I hadn't yet checked Lappeenranta's (the town where BF lives) library if they had copies of Everything Is Illuminated. Well, they do!! And they had one copy in the nearest library which is only about a 25 minutes walk away from where BF lives. I was going to have to go to the grocerystore anyways today and it's next to the library so perfect!

As I was walking up to the library, I noticed that there was a brand new secondhand shop next to it and I decided to stop by. I found a copy of Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections for only 1,20e! I've never read anything by him before but his books are supposed to be really good and I've been wanting to read some of them ever since I kept running into them in Australia. Well, I was still browsing the other books there, and this woman who'd made a face earlier when she saw the book I was carrying, came up to me and told me I'd picked a great book and nodded at the novel. Apparently she'd read it before and said that it doesn't let you off easily but it's really great in the end. I love it how random people comment on books :smile2: I kept smiling all the way to the library.

There I found Everything Is Illuminated as promised. I read the blurb because I didn't know anything about the story and found it really interesting. I also read what the author has said about the book:

That in real life he had been going to write the book as a true story but had not found what he'd been looking for (which made me sad) but then he was free to write a fictional story about it and make it anyway he liked it and the book wouldn't exist the way it is had his journey been successful in the first place.

Interesting!

I also found Gwen Cooper's Homer's Odyssey, which is a story about a blind cat and seemed like a good read. I kept going through the bookshelves although I shouldn't have, because I won't have the time to read all the books while I'm in Lappeenranta if I borrow too many, but I then found Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk by Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain which is on the Rory Gilmore reading list and I had to borrow it. It's even in English!!

After that I went groceryshopping, and I saw loads of excellent dogs! I saw this young Labrador pup who'd grown into full size but who was still a pup at heart. His owner was trying to teach him to walk nicely next to him, and to sit and stand at command. The poor pup was so eager to please and yet too attached to his owner that he couldn't decide whether to be nice and obey or keep trying to cuddle him and plant loads of kisses in his face :lol:

I also saw this fantastically beautiful and rare-ish specimen of this dog breed that looks totally like a lion. I can't remember the breed, I'll have to google. He was totally into sniffing around the snow but when I got closer, he stopped dead in his track eventhough his owner was encouraging him to come along. He just kept looking at my grocery bag and soo wanted to take a look at what I'd bought. Awww what a precious thing.

Then I spotted this most adorable basset who was strolling along with his owner and her baby pram. They were about to cross the road but the basset was unobliging, he too stopped dead in his tracks and was looking at my grocery bag :lol: Awww I wanted to take him home and cuddle him.

Edited by frankie

Ah, you're the first person I've come across that shares my antipathy for 'Madame Bovary'. I did read it all (practically had to staple it to my forehead to keep from putting it down) and it was like wading through treacle .. actually treacle is too sweet .. it was like wading through mud. I couldn't care about any of them and so ultimately I didn't care what they did either. So far it claims top spot for my least favourite classic. Don't keep an open mind, close your mind up like a tapped oyster .. only kidding, you might like it, a lot of people do, so many in fact that I've always been convinced that I must have read an entirely different book. I don't want to discourage you. Kylie likes it and I'd trust her opinion over mine anyday.

Conversely, I really loved 'Everything is Illuminated' .. very quirky and original. Hope you like it too.

I'm quite scared, poppyshake, if I'm the first and so far the only person you know who hasn't liked Madam Bovary. I thought we'd come in all shapes and sizes, the many people we are. :huh:

(practically had to staple it to my forehead to keep from putting it down) and it was like wading through treacle

:lol: I'm sorry you had to go through all of that. I hope your forehead doesn't bear too many marks from the awful encounter :empathy: I'm fearing I'll have a very similar experience to yours. But I'm also thinking there's no way it can be as bad as Tess of the d'Urbervilles, my most hated novel ever. There's just no way.

Eventhough I have a very high opinion of Kylie's book tastes and opinions, I fear that I cannot count on her on this one. Sowwy :blush:

The Woman in Black

by Susan Hill

From amazon: Proud and solitary, Eel Marsh House surveys the windswept reaches of the salt marshes beyond Nine Lives Causeway. Arthur Kipps, a junior solicitor, is summoned to attend the funeral Mrs Alice Drablow, the house's sole inhabitant, unaware of the tragic secrets which lie hidden behind the shuttered windows. It is not until he glimpses a wasted young woman, dressed all in black, at the funeral, that a creeping sense of unease begins to take hold, a feeling deepened by the reluctance of the locals to talk of the woman in black - and her terrible purpose.

Thoughts: The fact that I didn't get to read this book in one sitting probably had a pretty big effect on my views of it. Each night I would read a couple of chapters in bed before going to sleep, and I would keep dozing off and the next day I couldn't help but wonder what was real, what had really happened, what was purely the workings of Arthur Kipps's imagination and what was mine. I did feel that the book was creepy, but not to the extent that I had expected. I kept thinking, something really shocking must happen in the end or otherwise it was a waste of time. I kind of figured what had happened, but not exactly how, and felt like Hill disappointed me in being so obvious. I was so ready to give up on the book (not in the way that I wouldn't finish it, but in the way that I would just carelessly read the last pages). I was so relieved to realise that there was more to come, and the final events were really creepy. Brrr! So that was a good save. I still think that there should've been something else to the story all the way through, I feel frustrated that I had to wait until right in the end for things to pick up.

All in all a decent read and this did not put me off reading other novels by Hill.

3/5

A Friend Like Henry

by Nuala Gardner

From amazon: This is the inspiring account of a family’s struggle to break into their son's autistic world - and how a beautiful retreiver dog made the real difference.

Dale was still a baby when his parents realised that something wasn't right. Worried, his mother Nuala took him to see several doctors, before finally hearing the word ‘autism’ for the first time. Scared but determined that Dale should live a fulfilling life, Nuala describes her despair at her son's condition, her struggle to prevent Dale being excluded from a ‘normal’ education and her sense of hopeless isolation. Dale's autism was severe and violent and family life was a daily battleground.

But the Gardner's lives were transformed when they welcomed a gorgeous Golden Retriever into the family. The special bond between Dale and his dog Henry helped them to produce the breakthrough in Dale they had long sought. From taking a bath to saying 'I love you', Henry helped introduce Dale to all the normal activities most parents take for granted, and set him on the road to being the charming and well-adjusted young man he is today.

This is a heartrending and fascinating account of how one devoted and talented dog helped a little boy conquer his autism.

Thoughts: I'm a sucker for dog stories and Henry was the main reason why I wanted to read this novel. I'm also into true stories and different kinds of social, physical and psychological hindrances, if one can say so, so this book was right up my alley. It proved to be a really interesting read, and I learnt so much about autism. For example, previously I had no idea that one could beat autism in the way that one can socialize and communicate with the rest of the world. I'm very happy to be less ignorant now and I would recommend this to anyone who wants to know more about the subject or find advise, support, etc. It also kind of opened up my eyes to see how hard it can be to fight the system to get the kind of treatment one needs and is entitled to. A very compelling read.

4/5

I read Madame Bovary after a friend raved about it, and I didn't enjoy it at all; like poppyshake, I did finish it, but I just thought all the characters were sooo stupid!

The Woman in Black is a book I have thought about for a long time, but have never got around to buying yet. I am sure I will get around to it some time; I do like a creepy story, and can be quite forgiving about obvious things happening if I have enjoyed the book in other ways! Have you read any of her Simon Serrailler detective novels, frankie? I really enjoy that series. :)

See, poppyshake, you aren't the only one who's read Madame Bovary and not liked it :D I have a feeling I won't like the characters either, just by the couple of pages that I've read and because of the two of yous comments. If they are anything like in Lady Chatterley's Lover, I'll kill myself.

Ooshie, there are a lot of people on here who have enjoyed The Woman in Black way more than I did and I would recommend you read the book and see for yourself :) This was my very first but definitely not the last Susan Hill novel, and I am curious about her detective novels as well, I'm glad you reminded me of them. I'll add the first book in the series to my wishlist :)

but I then found Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk by Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain which is on the Rory Gilmore reading list and I had to borrow it. It's even in English!!

Aww, I'm jealous! I'm very curious about this one. Nice book haul Frankie. :)

Kylie likes it and I'd trust her opinion over mine anyday.

I haven't actually read it yet; I'm planning to read it in the next month or so. I'm very worried now that I know both of you hated it. :(

Aww, I'm jealous! I'm very curious about this one. Nice book haul Frankie. :)

It seems like a really good one, I thought it might be hard to read especially since I'm definitely not into punk myself, but the whole book is made of little snippets written/spoken by various different important people of the era: The Ramones, Lou Reed, etc etc. I've only read the first page so far but already I was hooked.

Hehe, I was going through my e-mails and found that I'd received a monthly newsletter from adlibris, which is a Nordic online bookstore where I sometimes do my book buying. Anyways, the newsletter was in English (the website can be browsed only in Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian and Danish) and it said that they'd noticed I often order my books in English and had thus created a new English monthly newsletter. Awesome :D I just found it so funny to receive a newsletter in English, from somewhere where I do all my business in Finnish.

That's very nice of you. :friends0: Too few people go to the effort of complimenting good customer service, but they're all very quick to complain. Mum and I received awesome service at a framing shop a couple of weeks ago and I want to ring and mention the awesome sales girl to someone but I can't find a number or website for their head office. :rolleyes: