Frankie Reads 2011

frankie

Celebrity Readers

Jason Steger

"1. What are you reading now?

"Everyman" by Philip Roth; "Open Secret" by Stella Rimington; "Emil and Karl" by Yankev Glatshteyn.

2. What is your favourite book?

"Staying On" by Paul Scott; "Le Grand Meaulnes" by Alain-Fournier; "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens, and "The Book of Fame" by Lloyd Jones.

32222. What is your earliest memory of books?

Getting a Janet and John book when I was about six.

4. What is the book that changed your life?

"Resurrection" by Leo Tolstoy; "Sons and Lovers" by DH Lawrence; "News from Nowhere" by William Morris.

5. Most over rated book?

"Da Vinci Code".

6. Best and worst film adaptations?

Best: "Third Man" (Graham Greene); "Black Stallion" (Walter Farley); "Brokeback Mountain" (Annie Proulx); "Grapes of Wrath" (Steinbeck); "To Kill a Mockingbird" (Lee); "Long Goodbye" (Robert Altman version of Chandler’s novel);

Worst: "Honorary Consul" (Greene).

7. How do you choose what book to read next?

Mainly dictated by work. I love to read crime novels on planes.

8. Where do you read?

Bed, sofa, tram, plane, beach. Never in a car - I would be sick.

9. Which fictional character would you most like to be?

Tintin or Philip Marlowe."

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:lurker: Can I come in yet?

That is some impressive list frankie!

You do realise that you don't really need to buy any books this year? You have plenty to last a few years!

Yes you may come in! You can do a little dance, even. :exc:

Why thank you, it's a massive list indeed but it'll get shorter this year I swear! I'm not even going to comment on your last line :cool::lol:

Yes but Charm, having enough books doesn't necessarily mean not buying anymore, as I'm sure we all know.

Hi Frankie - great list, but I'm not sure I agree with Charm - you can never have too many books to read, can you?

Now you two have opinions that I like and will comment! One can never have too many books, like chesilbeach said. You will have to excuse Charm: she's quite charming and very nice in many other ways but she doesn't get our book buying habits. She's weird that way. :drama:

:giggle:

Edited by frankie

The first review of the year is here! :cool:

~ Sybil by Flora Rheta Schreiber ~

This is a true story of a woman who was possessed by sixteen separate personalities. Before reading the book I'd of course heard about multiple personalities but had no idea that it was really possible to have so many of them, eventhough I do own a book called When Rabbit Howls where the woman is possessed by more than 90 different personalities. Having always been interested in psychology I found this book utterly fascinating. First we meet Sybil who suffers from 'losing time', not remembering what has just happened and how she has ended up in the different places and situations, during her 'blank spells'. Little by little we meet the rest of the rather varying characters and the reason behind all these different personalities starts to unravel. We get to learn about Sybil's extraordinary childhood which is easily one of the most disturbing ones I've ever encountered, having read quite a few stories about disrupted lives. I teared up a few times and was sad to realise yet again that there's just no limit to how inhuman humans can be. This book is definitely not for the easily disturbed. Otherwise I would highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in different psychological illnesses and multiple personalities in particular. A really gripping read and a real page-turner. 5/5

For anyone who is interested in reading more about Sybil, here's a link to an article about her on wikipedia.

Edited by frankie

Great review Frankie. Can't wait to read this. :)

I saw a story on Oprah the other day about a woman with multiple personalities and they were also discussing an interview Oprah had done about 20 years with a woman who had more than 90 personalities. It must have been the same woman. She died recently. :(

I saw a story on Oprah the other day about a woman with multiple personalities and they were also discussing an interview Oprah had done about 20 years with a woman who had more than 90 personalities. It must have been the same woman. She died recently. :(

I think it must be the same person, Truddi Chase, because I just wikied her and she died on 10 March, 2010. RIP! I'm really looking forward to reading her book now, it's actually an autobiography so it should be more interesting, I think.

Great review, Frankie! I think we've discussed this before, but have you seen the film version of Sybil with Sally Field? She did an amazing job in it! If you haven't seen it I would highly recommend :D.

Peace, yep we discussed it before! I haven't seen it yet but I definitely want to and I've added it to my TBW list on the first page of this blog :cool: Did you know that there's also a more recent movie version of the book? It was released in 2007, I think I might watched that too.

Edited by frankie

Yes you may come in! You can do a little dance, even. :exc:

Now you two have opinions that I like and will comment! One can never have too many books, like chesilbeach said. You will have to excuse Charm: she's quite charming and very nice in many other ways but she doesn't get our book buying habits. She's weird that way. :drama:

BAHAHAHAHA! :lol: :lol:

I'll have you know, I bought 35 books in one go last Autumn! All for a fiver! :razz:

Now for my happy dance! :boogie:

BAHAHAHAHA! :lol: :lol:

I'll have you know, I bought 35 books in one go last Autumn! All for a fiver! :razz:

Now for my happy dance! :boogie:

What awesome moves you got there, missy!! :lol: Boogie on!

How on earth were you able to get 35 books for only a fiver?!? Take me to that place!! Pretty please?! :giggle: I mean.... I wouldn't buy the books for me. I'd buy them for my... friends. Yes. For my friends. *maniacal laughter*

OK folks this is a Mod alert!

Everyone, please back slowly away from this thread. Don't make eye contact with Frankie, and what ever you do, don't show her you are carrying books. Just very slowly get to the door......yeah, that's it.....

"Good Frankie, that's a good reader"

The BCF Books-Sent-Her-Mad Squad will be here soon. They'll take very good care of her. She'll soon be back to just buying and wanting too many books. Don't worry. :giggle2:

Chrissy :haha: You're scaring me!!! I feel all these conflicted emotions! I want more books and I want to buy them but at the same time I feel that I shouldn't and now you've ALL made me very confused. And look what you people have done to me now, now I have the BSHM Squad after my ass!! :ph34r: :hide::tease::roll2::ontome:

Edited by frankie

Hello my dear Frankie! *waives* I thought about you the other night at work because the weather was so awful that we almost got stuck at the bookstore overnight. I thought about you and Kylie and all our other lovely friends here and how awesome it would be to have a slumber party in a bookstore! :D Maybe you are destin to have your own little (or huge) bookstore someday. I think you should start acquiring as many books as humanly possible, just incase... Then we can all have a Gilmore Girls style slumber party in it! :D

Here, look Frankie, cookies. :) And they're shaped just like little books...Mmmmmm, yum. That's right, eat it all up and have a sleep. :giggle:

Don't you try and tempt me with those delicious looking cookies!! I'm on a diet. You're just trying to make me fat and juicy. So I couldn't buy any more books. I might not have my axe with me, I might have accidentally left it at Kylie's but I do have my other sources to keep me protected from the attack of the cookies... :theboss:

Kylie, I hope you've got my back!!!

Hello my dear Frankie! *waives* I thought about you the other night at work because the weather was so awful that we almost got stuck at the bookstore overnight. I thought about you and Kylie and all our other lovely friends here and how awesome it would be to have a slumber party in a bookstore! :D Maybe you are destin to have your own little (or huge) bookstore someday. I think you should start acquiring as many books as humanly possible, just incase... Then we can all have a Gilmore Girls style slumber party in it! :D

Hehe, I don't remember which thread it was or where I posted it, but I just said to someone recently that I've often fantasized about being locked up in the library after closing time by accident :D A slumber party in a bookstore would be most awesomest!! Haha, I remember telling Kylie sometime ago that from now on out I'm not going to give away any of my read books, I'll just store them in the cupboards or wherever so I can soon start my own bookstore. I would have to buy some peoples' book collections but I would also have my own little collection to contribute to my store :giggle:

Well, now that you've reminded me about the axe, I'm not sure that I have your back after all!

(Just kidding.)

ETA: Oh, and I love the idea of being snowed into a bookstore with you Abby! We would have such fun with the books and watching Gilmore Girls. Gosh, we would need to get snowed in for a very long time to have time to talk about everything. :)

Edited by Kylie

I believe that last part is a requirement, Abby ;).

Frankie, I'd not heard they remade Sybil, and even though I'm not a fan of any remake the cast looks to be pretty good. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of your TBW list too - there are some mighty fine looking titles on that list! I think some sort of must-see-movies-before-you-die thread is in order... We need something where we can go off on all sorts of tangents without getting into trouble ;):lol: