Frankie Reads 2011

frankie

The Secret Garden

by Frances Hodgson Burnett

~ spoiler warning ~

Blurb: Mary Lennox, lonely and unwanted, arrives from India to live with her uncle in Yorkshire.

Left to herself there is little to do apart from explore the huge, gloomy house and its surroundings until, one sunny morning, she stumbles across a secret garden, hidden behind ivy-clad walls. For the first time in her sad short life she has found something to care for and she determines to restore the garden to its former glory. As the garden begins to bloom and is magically transformed no one is left untouched ...

A sensitive portrayal of the world seen through children's eyes, The Secret Garden is one of the great classics of story-telling, hugely popular with children and adults alike.

Thoughts: Yet another children's classic which I haven't read before, although my excuse is that I hadn't heard of the novel until I joined BCF, I think. I didn't know anything about the story beforehand, only knew it was about a secret garden (aren't I smart...) and for some reason I thought that there might be ghosts and supernatural things involved. So I have to say the novel was quite different from what I expected.

I was totally gripped right from the first couple of pages. I love Burnett's style. You cannot read the first few lines ("When Mary Lennox was sent to Misselthwaite Manor to live with her uncle everybody said she was the most disagreeable-looking child ever seen. It was true, too.") without becoming curious. Is the narrator being unjustifiably harsh, or have we indeed found ourselves in the company of a literary ugly duckling? And even so, why mention the poor girl's looks, she must have suffered enough because of it, she must be a shy, insecure little darling.

WRONG. She's the meanest and most selfish child ever. So annoying is she that I begin to wonder if she can really be the central character of such a popular classic. Which means that Burnett knew her stuff. She convinced me that the child was evil and forever ruined and could not be cured.

Then we meet Martha, a simply sweet and loving Martha, and the little things she says and does begin to have an effect on Mary. In my opinion, the transformation was described so subtly and cleverly, there was no sign of Burnett underestimating the reader and underlining how things change. I simply loved how it was constructed and written. We also get to meet Mr Craven, and Burnett has another trick up her sleeve for the reader: Mr Craven isn't a stereotypical 'mean uncle' whom everybody hates and fears and whom I was expecting to find. He is an ordinary man who has had more than his fair share of difficulties in life, and who doesn't quite know how to make things better, but he is by no means heartless and uncaring, at least towards Mary. I was so surprised and happy by the outcome of the meeting.

This book is simply Magic. I could go on and on about which things I really loved in the novel but I don't have the time at the moment. This book is a real find for me and one that I will definitely re-read and re-read. 5/5

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree, excellent review! :D I haven't read this one since I was a teen so I think I'm due for a re-read as well.

I think I'll add the film to my Netflix queue too! Oh, and let's not forgot the excellent Broadway musical version ;). Mandy Patinkin as Mr. Craven has a heavenly voice, and I also love the guy who played Martha's brother Dickon (Dicken?). He was in Headwig and the Angry Inch!

Thank you Kylie and peacefield! :smile2: I've now accomplished my secret goals for my 2011 reading blog (I.e.: make someone want to read something after reading my 'review'), and now I can start slacking :D

I went to the library and looked at their DVD collection but I couldn't find either A Little Princess (which I know desperately want to rewatch) or The Secret Garden :irked: I'm not surprised though, the DVD collection is still rather small and all the good movies are always borrowed and I never find anything there that interests me.

I also got rid of the following books:

Lois Lowry: Number the Stars

Veijo Meri: Manillaköysi

Daphne du Maurier: Rebecca (I've bought myself a better copy and wanted to pass on the older copy I had)

Eoin Colfer: some Artemis Fowl book after realising it wasn't the first one in the series.

In exchange I found Erich Segal's Oliver's Story. I don't know much about Segal but having read and loved Love Story by him, I couldn't say no to this novel, especially since it was free of charge :)

Then I had a whole lot of fun at the library. I knew I wouldn't find Everything Is Illuminated there (the current borrower should've returned it by 29.12.2010 and still haven't!!!) or The Woman in Black (the only English copy there is in this other library in another part of the town, I could walk there but it would take me about 30 minutes to get there and 30 minutes to get back, just for the book) but I thought I'd just walk there and look at some new titles. Then I remembered that Kylie would like me to read 84 Charing Cross Road pronto, so I searched for it and found myself in the literature section. As I'm pretty obsessed about (auto)biographies, I started browsing through the bookshelves and got me these:

84 Charing Cross Road by Helen Hanff

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion (I can't believe I found this, it's on the Rory list and I've been wanting to buy it for a while now. I believe Kylie will be excited that I found it)

Kingdom of Fear by Hunter S. Thompson (anything by Thompson is interesting me at the moment)

The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas by Gertrude Stein (this is on a couple of lists and I'm curious about it for other reasons as well)

How Proust Can Change Your Life by Alain de Botton (this will be a re-read. A wonderful little book and what initially made me so curious about Proust)

Marcel Proust by André Maurois (I've been wanting to read about Proust for ages and I think this might actually be even on the Rory list)

Margaret Drabble by Lynn Veach Sadler (for uni)

Well, I didn't end my journey there. I had this urge to check out the English lit section eventhough I already had 7 books in my hands. I just had to. There were some great new titles and I had to restrain myself. I borrowed these:

One for the Money by Janet Evanovich (this'll be a re-read)

Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson (do I need to explain the reasons for borrowing this?)

Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon (remember Kylie when I was begging you to let me buy it during one of hour secondhand bookshop adventures? :lol:)

Gilead by Marianne Robinson (this, I think, is one of the titles which I wrote down when I was reading The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby)

Skippy Dies by Paul Murray (remember Kylie when I saw this at the Penrith Plaza and it was only $3 but it was way too big for me to buy and pack in my suitcases?)

My Life as a Fake by Peter Carey (an Australian author I found out about in Australia, I so want to read his novels)

I'm really excited about all of these books but don't be fooled. As much as I want to read them all I know I simply don't have time to get through them all but I'll try my best :)

Heidi! I have not seen that in a long time.

Such a great review of the Secret Garden Frankie. Makes me want to drop my current read and start reading my copy. It has been a very long time since I have seen the film so the book will refresh my memory.

Glad you got looking around your library. If our library does not have a certain book then I can reserve it and they get it from another library for me. Costs 50p which is nothing.

I noticed you got One for the Money by Janet Evanovich. I love the Plum series. I got Sizzling Sixteen out of the library yesterday. Can't wait to get stuck into it. I have also have Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson in my TBR. :smile2:

Edited by Shin

84 Charing Cross Road by Helen Hanff

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion (I can't believe I found this, it's on the Rory list and I've been wanting to buy it for a while now. I believe Kylie will be excited that I found it)

Kingdom of Fear by Hunter S. Thompson (anything by Thompson is interesting me at the moment)

The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas by Gertrude Stein (this is on a couple of lists and I'm curious about it for other reasons as well)

Yay for 84 Charing Cross Road! Good girl for listening to Kylie. :D You should read it straight away. It's a very quick read. Also, find the movie with Anthony Hopkins if you can. It's lovely.

I'm jealous of the Gertrude Stein book (did we see that somewhere when you were here?) and the Joan Didion book. And happy with Hunter S Thompson. :smile2:

Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson (do I need to explain the reasons for borrowing this?)

Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon (remember Kylie when I was begging you to let me buy it during one of hour secondhand bookshop adventures? :lol:)

Skippy Dies by Paul Murray (remember Kylie when I saw this at the Penrith Plaza and it was only $3 but it was way too big for me to buy and pack in my suitcases?)

My Life as a Fake by Peter Carey (an Australian author I found out about in Australia, I so want to read his novels)

I'm so glad you found Skippy Dies again. I know how much you wanted that. :friends3: I'm going to pretend I don't recall stopping you from buying any books. :wink:

Excellent haul Frankie!

*runs off to page 1 to see how many books Frankie has acquired so far this year*

Thanks Shin :) Over here we can also reserve books that aren't at the local library and I think it costs 1e, and I don't mean to sound like a cheapskate but I don't feel like I should spend that money because I have two healthy legs and I should just walk over to the other library and get it :blush:

I noticed you got One for the Money by Janet Evanovich. I love the Plum series. I got Sizzling Sixteen out of the library yesterday. Can't wait to get stuck into it. I have also have Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson in my TBR. :smile2:

I've already read One for the Money once and I really liked it and I would definitely like to get into the series, but I can't remember anything about the first novel so I think a re-read is in order before I can continue on to the next one. :rolleyes: I'm really excited about the Bill Bryson book, so many people seem to like his stuff and I haven't read anything by him yet. I've also got Down Under by him (thanks to Kylie!) and I can't wait to get into that as well. I have no idea why I haven't already. I guess this is going to sound really silly, but sometimes I think I want to leave all the best and most interesting stuff til last, so I usually feel like I need to read the 'of less interest' books first so I can then read the really good ones and really enjoy them. I have this whole little bookcase filled with my Australia books but I haven't yet dared to pick any of them up, because I want to savour them for a while, and just look at them.

Yay for 84 Charing Cross Road! Good girl for listening to Kylie. You should read it straight away. It's a very quick read. Also, find the movie with Anthony Hopkins if you can. It's lovely.

Hehe, I did read it right away. I started it last night in bed and finished it as well! I'll write a review later, but don't get too excited, I didn't like it as much as you did :blush:

I'm jealous of the Gertrude Stein book (did we see that somewhere when you were here?) and the Joan Didion book. And happy with Hunter S Thompson.

I don't think we saw a copy of the Gertrude Stein book, and even if I had, I don't think I would've bought it because eventhough I really want to read it, I've never had any special needs to own that particular book. I'm really sad that there aren't any Hunter S. Thompson books in English at the library. Which means that I just have to buy some of them. :giggle: Very convenient for me!

I'm so glad you found Skippy Dies again. I know how much you wanted that. I'm going to pretend I don't recall stopping you from buying any books.

*runs off to page 1 to see how many books Frankie has acquired so far this year*

I'll always be giving you a hard time about not letting me buy some books but when it really comes down to it and I get serious, I do appreciate your interference because I know I would've been a lot sadder if there had been any more books to think about leaving behind. So don't ever think I'm scolding you, eventhough I'm giving you lip about it :empathy:

Kylie, you do realise that the book haul was a library book haul, and all the books were borrowed and I have to therefor take them back? Only Oliver's Story was a real acquirement. :)

Edit: And yep, I definitely want to watch the 84 Charing Cross Road movie!! :smile2:

Edited by frankie

84 Charing Cross Road

by Helen Hanff

From Amazon: "84, Charing Cross Road is a charming record of bibliophilia, cultural difference, and imaginative sympathy. For 20 years, an outspoken New York writer and a rather more restrained London bookseller carried on an increasingly touching correspondence. In her first letter to Marks & Co., Helene Hanff encloses a wish list, but warns, "The phrase 'antiquarian booksellers' scares me somewhat, as I equate 'antique' with expensive." Twenty days later, on October 25, 1949, a correspondent identified only as FPD let Hanff know that works by Hazlitt and Robert Louis Stevenson would be coming under separate cover. When they arrive, Hanff is ecstatic--but unsure she'll ever conquer "bilingual arithmetic." By early December 1949, Hanff is suddenly worried that the six-pound ham she's sent off to augment British rations will arrive in a kosher office. But only when FPD turns out to have an actual name, Frank Doel, does the real fun begin.

Two years later, Hanff is outraged that Marks & Co. has dared to send an abridged Pepys diary. "I enclose two limp singles, I will make do with this thing till you find me a real Pepys. THEN I will rip up this ersatz book, page by page, AND WRAP THINGS IN IT." Nonetheless, her postscript asks whether they want fresh or powdered eggs for Christmas. Soon they're sharing news of Frank's family and Hanff's career. No doubt their letters would have continued, but in 1969, the firm's secretary informed her that Frank Doel had died. In the collection's penultimate entry, Helene Hanff urges a tourist friend, "If you happen to pass by 84, Charing Cross Road, kiss it for me. I owe it so much." "

Thoughts: I finally got to reading this much hyped little book about books and an antiquarian bookshop. I was expecting to have to write down a lot of book titles which I would want to get a hold of myself, but unfortunately (or fortunately? considering my current Mount TBR) Helen Hanff has quite a different taste in books than I do. I enjoyed reading the correspondence and was interested in seeing all the book titles, and was thrilled to read how warmhearted and kind people can be to other people whom they've never met. Now that I think about it, it reminds me of this lovely forum we're on :smile2:

However, there was something about the book that annoyed me: the seemingly rude way Hanff wrote to the booksellers. I know that was meant as a joke and the people at the other end got it and quite liked it, but I don't think I would've been so happy to receive those kinds of letters. The other think that was a big disappointment for me was that she never did go over to London to meet the people at the bookstore. I understand money was scarce and she had all sorts of things that needed to be paid and she didn't have the funds, but I was disappointed nonetheless.

Overall, a quick and a fairly enjoyable read, but not as much fun as I had expected. 3/5

Edited by frankie

Aw, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it so much. I guess I over-hyped it a little. blush.gif

Hanff can definitely be a bit brash in her letters but mostly she was lovely. She comes across a lot better in the movie. She's still brash, but you can see the other side of her at the same time.

I loved how she sent all the staff food when they had food shortages and were unable to afford meat and other 'luxury' items.

I was soooo sad that she didn't make it over there in time. :(

Aw, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it so much. I guess I over-hyped it a little. blush.gif

Aww hun, don't feel bad! I think it was hyped but not over-hyped, and believe me there have been loads of other people who have been raving about the book as well. So it definitely wasn't just you and don't you dare go feeling guilty :empathy:

Hanff can definitely be a bit brash in her letters but mostly she was lovely. She comes across a lot better in the movie. She's still brash, but you can see the other side of her at the same time.

I loved how she sent all the staff food when they had food shortages and were unable to afford meat and other 'luxury' items.

That's exactly why I want to watch the movie, I want to know more about the characters and get to see more sides to them. Like I said, to me Hanff appeared a bit rude and maybe even aggressive in her tone, but I'm sure she wasn't like that in real life, that's just the impression I got of her while reading the book. And I agree, I loved it how she sent all those lovely things to the bookshop people, that was really nice of her and I do give credit to her for that :)

I was soooo sad that she didn't make it over there in time. :(

I know :( And I was so sad when

Frank died

. I really didn't expect it and I confess that I teared up :(

Hey Frankie thanks for the great review of 84 Charing Cross Road. It sounds like it could be a good little read, and the idea of books about books and even bookstores is one that I've found I've enjoyed; for example the idea within Cornelia Funke's Inkheart series. Obviously it didn't blow you away with excitement, so I'm sure there's some much better reads I could look at with this idea, however I think I might keep an eye open for this one after all - can't hurt I guess.

Hey Frankie thanks for the great review of 84 Charing Cross Road. It sounds like it could be a good little read, and the idea of books about books and even bookstores is one that I've found I've enjoyed; for example the idea within Cornelia Funke's Inkheart series. Obviously it didn't blow you away with excitement, so I'm sure there's some much better reads I could look at with this idea, however I think I might keep an eye open for this one after all - can't hurt I guess.

Thanks Ben :) The idea of a book that's basically about books and a bookstore is definitely fascinating, and I would read everything about that 'genre' that I can find :) This was a bit of a disappointment for me, as you know already, but if you haven't come across with the book until now, or any of the reviews, I think you should disregard my review and read it. Maybe you'll enjoy it more. And as a true Brit yourself, maybe you can make more of the connection between an American and English people. Since you're into books about books, I'd recommend Nick Hornby's The Polysyllabic Spree as well. You must know Nick Hornby, right? Well the book is about the books he reads during one year. I think I added at least 10 books to my wishlist after that read :D

Edit: oooh, and I agree about the Inkheart series. I've only read the first novel, but the idea behind it was simply amazing, and I really liked the book. It's been a couple of years since I've read it, but I now own the two sequals and can't wait to get into them. I think I have to read the first book in the series first, to reunite with all the characters and the idea of the whole thing.

BTW: I was having drinks with a couple of friends tonight, and we somehow started to discuss books. They hated Twilight and the sequals and I just had to keep quiet, because I knew there was no way they would understand why I liked it. They also talked about how they all like the fantasy genre. Robin Hobb was mentioned, and I learnt that Hobb is actually a female! I'd thought that Hobb was male :rolleyes: Also, I told them that the only fantasy I'd really, really enjoyed so far was Jasper Fforde. Lo and behold, the silly people hadn't even heard about him. :irked: :irked: :irked:

Edited by frankie

BTW: I was having drinks with a couple of friends tonight, and we somehow started to discuss books. They hated Twilight and the sequals and I just had to keep quiet, because I knew there was no way they would understand why I liked it. They also talked about how they all like the fantasy genre. Robin Hobb was mentioned, and I learnt that Hobb is actually a female! I'd thought that Hobb was male :rolleyes: Also, I told them that the only fantasy I'd really, really enjoyed so far was Jasper Fforde. Lo and behold, the silly people hadn't even heard about him. :irked: :irked: :irked:

What?! That's blasphemy! I hope you educated them on the fact that they need to read some Fforde, Frankie. Those were my first fantasy/sci-fi books as well. Now I do like to dabble in a bit of the paranormal stuff though ;).

I've had those discussions before about the Twilight books, and it is hard to describe why they're so likeable, I agree. Had your friends read all the books in the series? Did they say why the hated them?

Hey Frankie, thanks for the recommendation. I have heard of Nick Hornby, and The Polysyllabic Spree sounds like it could be a good read - or not, in terms of my wishlist. :lol: I think I'll still give 84 Charing Cross Road a shot; Kylie seems to love it, and I haven't read any reviews of it before now. As for Inkheart you should really read the sequels. I'll admit they're not as good as the first one - nothing can top the magic of that book, but I think they're still worth reading - the second one is still good, and the third one needs to be read just to tie up the journey. Interesting you should mention that about Robin Hobb, I didn't realise the author was female either.

Edited by Ben

Bah peasants ! :irked:

Must admit I watched the first Twilight film with my kids over Christmas (meaning to watch all 3). My eldest son and I laughed and made fun of it nearly all the way through the movie it was so funny. The veggy vampires are so wimpy. When the three real vampires arrive on the baseball field they just make the others look pathetic. The only one I liked was Alice.

What?! That's blasphemy! I hope you educated them on the fact that they need to read some Fforde, Frankie. Those were my first fantasy/sci-fi books as well. Now I do like to dabble in a bit of the paranormal stuff though ;).

I've had those discussions before about the Twilight books, and it is hard to describe why they're so likeable, I agree. Had your friends read all the books in the series? Did they say why the hated them?

Sorry peace, I was a bit misleading on the Twilight subject. The discussion started when this guy asked us if we'd seen Eclipse (or was it New Moon?) and said that the movies are pure ****, there being guys that just come into the scene and have their shirts off and prance around. We didn't discuss the books so much but it was obvious I shouldn't mention the fact that I've liked the two first ones that I've read so far :giggle2: Later on when we were playing this excellent game Dixit, I didn't get one of the clues ('Merri and Pippin') and they were like how can you be such an ignorant tool? I then told them that well I haven't watched the movies when they said it's from LotR. Someone said "well you should read some other books besides your precious Twilights!" which I thought was a bit of a rude remark, because I've been planning on reading LotR for ages but just haven't gotten around to it, and because I read LOADS! And they didn't even know Jasper Fforde. But it was just a normal conversation, I know they weren't seriously considering me a tool :D

Hey Frankie, thanks for the recommendation. I have heard of Nick Hornby, and The Polysyllabic Spree sounds like it could be a good read - or not, in terms of my wishlist. :lol: I think I'll still give 84 Charing Cross Road a shot; Kylie seems to love it, and I haven't read any reviews of it before now. As for Inkheart you should really read the sequels. I'll admit they're not as good as the first one - nothing can top the magic of that book, but I think they're still worth reading - the second one is still good, and the third one needs to be read just to tie up the journey. Interesting you should mention that about Robin Hobb, I didn't realise the author was female either.

You're welcome! :cool: I'll definitely read the whole Inkheart trilogy when I have time for it, I do have the books on my TBR. And they're books that are partly about books, so what's there not to like, right? :smile2:

I found the film of 84 Charing Cross Road very touching, but have never read the book. Another one for the wish list! :)

Tehehee! :) I hope you enjoy the book more than I did. I just realised that I need to google the Finnish title for the movie, I might've missed it already just because it might not be named 84 Charing Cross Road.

Bah peasants ! :irked:

Must admit I watched the first Twilight film with my kids over Christmas (meaning to watch all 3). My eldest son and I laughed and made fun of it nearly all the way through the movie it was so funny. The veggy vampires are so wimpy. When the three real vampires arrive on the baseball field they just make the others look pathetic. The only one I liked was Alice.

Well I suppose the movies are not for everyone. It kind of helps if you're of the female gender (or gay) and are attracted to either Edward or Jacob :giggle:

The Year of Magical Thinking

by Joan Didion

~ a Rory Gilmore read ~

From The New Yorker, on Amazon: Didion's husband, the writer John Gregory Dunne, died of a heart attack, just after they had returned from the hospital where their only child, Quintana, was lying in a coma. This book is a memoir of Dunne's death, Quintana's illness, and Didion's efforts to make sense of a time when nothing made sense. "She's a pretty cool customer," one hospital worker says of her, and, certainly, coolness was always part of the addictive appeal of Didion's writing. The other part was the dark side of cool, the hyper-nervous awareness of the tendency of things to go bad. In 2004, Didion had her own disasters to deal with, and she did not, she feels, deal with them coolly, or even sanely. This book is about getting a grip and getting on; it's also a tribute to an extraordinary marriage.

Thoughts: I had high hopes for this book, me being a fan of the (auto)biography genre, the writer being an author, and this being a Rory Gilmore read. The book started out alright, Didion engaging me in the few different events that led to her writing the book. Then I got lost. Didion was jumping from here to there, from this to that, and I had no idea where an earth she was going. I suppose that might be because maybe she wrote the book with a kind of a stream-of-consciousness way after she'd begun, or maybe she meant to illustrate how foggy everything is when something drastic happens. Either way, I wasn't impressed. The more I read, the more I started rolling my eyes, hoping to quickly get to the end of the book.

I kind of feel guilty for not liking the book or because I didn't find myself feeling too sympathetic towards Didion, but then I read this one bit towards the end of the book: Didion tells us that she remembers having read Leftover Life to Kill, a book which Dylan Thomas's widow Caitlin wrote after Thomas died. Didion confesses to having belittled, even judged Caitlin's "self-pity" and her "wallowing" in it. Didion was 22 at the time when she read the book. Now that she has lost her own husband, Didion would probably have a totally different reading experience with the book. I felt like Didion okayed my not liking her book :giggle:

1/5

Edited by frankie

Aw, sorry you didn't enjoy this one Frankie. :(

Me too, Kylie, me too :( But consider it bygones, I'm currently reading The Kabul Beauty School and I'm really enjoying this one. I hope you enjoy TYoMT better :friends3:

frankie, loved your review on The Secret Garden. I'll definitely be bumping it up to the top of my tbr pile now. Thanks! =)

Aww, thanks bookworm44 :) I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it!

I guess you can't win them all Frankie. Funny enough your thoughts, although you didn't like the book much, made me want to read it a bit.

Hehe :D Go ahead and read it, maybe you'll like it more than I did. Then we could have a very civilized argument and butt heads :giggle2:

I was a very good girl today and I walked all the way to Niinivaara's library where they had the only English copy of The Woman in Black in Joensuu. It took me ~40 minutes to walk there, and there's this one long and steep hill one has to climb. I got me some good exercise! I also got to look around at my old neighborhood, I lived there for 4 years in the beginning of 2000.

Anyhow, I found the copy and was a bit annoyed to find out that it was a large print copy. It has only 193 pages and I'm a bit worried that it might be an abridged version, eventhough it doesn't actually say anywhere that it is. I have to check amazon or something to see how many pages the normal edition has.

I also got two other English books, Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu's Madam Crowl's Ghost and other stories (in case it's on the 1001 Books list) and H. Rider Haggard's She (in case it's on the 1001 Books list, I remember there is one novel that's titled She but I can't remember the author). In addition, I found myself roaming around the translated and Finnish literature section and finally found Joseph Conrad's The Heart of Darkness in Finnish. I've been meaning to read it for years and have started my own English copy maybe 5 times but I never get past the first 3 pages. I'm thinking when I read it in Finnish, I'll get through it. I also found Elie Wiesel's Night (which is on the 1001 Books list).

Then I found myself at the children's and YA section. I noticed Maria Gripe's Salaisuus varjossa and I just had to borrow it. I've been meaning to re-read it for ages, it's such a wonderful YA book and a true favorite of mine. I just wikied Maria Gripe and was shocked to find out that her Varjo-series has not been translated into English :( :( :( That's a real shame, seeing how many other novels of hers have been translated. I also borrowed 4 of her other books which I haven't read before, I hope they're good.

My edition of The Woman in Black has 160 pages, so I wouldn't worry too much. I don't think yours is abridged.

I'm so jealous that you found a copy of Night! I've read nothing but good reviews from the folk at Goodreads and I really want to read it. Did you know that it's the first of a trilogy?

I've only read one book/novella by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu and I loved it. I think I have a short story of his in that huge book of horror stories that I bought while you were here. :)