Claire's book list 2011

chesilbeach

I'm a bit gutted because for some reason I had it in my head that Passion by Lauren Kate was the last book in the series about fallen angels, so I was happily reading it thinking I was going to get a conclusion to the series, only to get to the end and realise that there's at least one more book to come! I really liked the first book in this YA series, Fallen, but I have to say, I haven't been so enamoured with the next couple. I did enjoy this third one more than the second, especially the look at Luce's previous lives, but I'm not enjoying them anywhere near as much as I did Fallen. I suspect it's because the thing I most enjoy about these style of books is that they are grounded in the modern day, and the first book was set in a school, and it was interesting to see someone's introduction to beings other than human and the impact it has on their view of the world which has just been turned upside down. Now that the introduction is over, the story has taken a very different turn, and although I want to keep going to try and get to the conclusion of the overall story arc, I'm not enjoying the books as much at the moment.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I enjoyed the second one more than the first. I have got Passion set aside to read but I started it and couldn't remember what an earth had happened in the last 2 books - so now I need to reread. But I can't really be bothered at the mo. I'm sure I will get around to it.

I think I enjoyed the second one more than the first. I have got Passion set aside to read but I started it and couldn't remember what an earth had happened in the last 2 books - so now I need to reread. But I can't really be bothered at the mo. I'm sure I will get around to it.

I have to admit that it was so long between reading books one and two, I'd forgotten some of the details of the first book, but it didn't take long for it all to come flooding back, but I didn't enjoy the second or third books any where near as much as the first one. Like I said though, I'll still carry on with the series, just to see how it all pans out.

Finished the final book in The Immortals series this afternoon - Everlasting by Alyson Noël. This series was an odd one for me. I was a bit ambivalent about the first book, but thought it picked up with the second book, and actually got better as the series went on. But I'm surprised how long it took me to read this final installment. It's not particularly long, but whereas all the previous stories have been grounded in the real world, this is a complete fantasy, and I felt that by the end, Ever's character had actually developed and outgrown Damen, and this made the book a bit unsatisfying for me. It was also a bit too neat of an conclusion, tying up all the ends, with all the characters redeeming themselves, which just felt a bit too tidy and sentimental for me personally.

Overall though, I've enjoyed reading the series, and I'm glad the author decided to develop the story through to the conclusion without keeping it going in a seemingly never-ending series of books, as some other authors seem to be tending to do.

Finished the final book in The Immortals series this afternoon - Everlasting by Alyson Noël. This series was an odd one for me. I was a bit ambivalent about the first book, but thought it picked up with the second book, and actually got better as the series went on. But I'm surprised how long it took me to read this final installment. It's not particularly long, but whereas all the previous stories have been grounded in the real world, this is a complete fantasy, and I felt that by the end, Ever's character had actually developed and outgrown Damen, and this made the book a bit unsatisfying for me. It was also a bit too neat of an conclusion, tying up all the ends, with all the characters redeeming themselves, which just felt a bit too tidy and sentimental for me personally.

Overall though, I've enjoyed reading the series, and I'm glad the author decided to develop the story through to the conclusion without keeping it going in a seemingly never-ending series of books, as some other authors seem to be tending to do.

I got sick of this series because it seemed to become quite preachy and based around some Eastern religious type ideas (the characters were trying to reach enlightenment or Nirvana or something). I presume I wouldn't like this installment? I thought about trying it just to have reached a conclusion but may not after your comments. Thanks - you've saved me an annoying read.

Furthering my travels into short stories, I've been reading Leading The Dance by Sarah Salway. I've read both her novels, but this was the first of her short stories I'd tried, and I'm so glad I did. This collection looks at the things we hide in our heads and in our homes, and brings to life the extraordinary aspects to the lives and personalities of ordinary people. Each story reflects on how the thoughts and emotions of individuals are only briefly visible from the persona we project to the outside world. There are often hints and suggestions of mental health issues, and show how they might develop and still be hidden from the people around those affected, a common theme with her novels as well.

Salway's writing often draws you in and makes you feel comfortable with the characters only to then unsettle you as their story unfolds. One particularly discomforting story about a woman apparently suffering from agoraphobia, who finds a new lease of life after discovering the relationship between her husband and a neighbour.

A great pleasure to read, despite the often troubling nature, and a worthy addition to my short story journey.

I found out about ShortStoryVille this week, a day long celebratory event at the Arnolfini in Bristol being held today. Unfortunately, I could only make it to one session, but what a great one it was:

Women and Short Stories - panel discussion chaired by writer, broadcaster and critic Bidisha. Often ignored in ‘greatest’ and ‘best of’ lists in other areas of literature, it is widely acknowledged and chronicled that women have led the way in the development of the short story. Is there something specific to the form, missing in other genres, that enables women writers to be taken as seriously as their male counterparts? Are short stories the most emancipated form of literature? Bidisha explores the bond between women and short fiction with 3 of the UK's most celebrated short story writers: Janice Galloway, Alison MacLeod and Sarah Salway.

Having recently read a collection of short stories by Sarah Salway, I couldn't resist hot footing it over to Bristol for this session. Introduced by Bidisha, the three authors then read from one of their own short stories, followed by a discussion which didn't actually focus on women writers and their connection with the short story, but just on the three authors and their own writing styles, techniques, the differences between writing novels and short stories, and even on the performance of the short story. The session concluded with a brief Q&A with the audience, and the hour was over all too quickly! I have to admit, I'd never heard of either Galloway or MacLeod before, but after their spirited readings, and their inspiring debate, I will confidently be adding their books to my wishlist.

I hope that this will become a yearly event, and I find out about it earlier next year, as I can plan to spend the whole day there!

It's taken me about four months to finish The Fahrenheit Twins, a collection of short stories by Michel Faber. I've read some of the stories a couple of times, and I'm still not sure what I feel about them. I don't think I had any emotional connection with most of them, and I couldn't really see a theme which linked them either. There were a couple of stories that bordered on horror with a sense of the grotesque, and others that were vignettes of an ordinary life. I thought the title story was probably one of the best and in a way one of the most complete, as some of the other stories felt like they needed to be expanded further, and the characters or plot could warrant more time.

Overall, not a bad read, but I think I'm probably not such a fan of Faber's short stories, and will stick to the novels instead, which I think have been far more satisfying.

The Man in the Wooden Hat by Jane Gardam was one of my book club reads for this month. It's a companion book to Old Filth by the same author, and is supposed to tell of the life of the Elizabeth Feathers, wife of Edward (aka Old Filth, a term coined as a barrister who Failed In London, Try Hong Kong).

It was an entertaining read, and the story bounced along quite nicely, but there were a few issues I had with it that overall made it a bit of a disappointing read. Elizabeth, often shortened to Betty, is friends with Isobel, who is often called Lizzie-Izz or Lizzie, which made me confused as to who was who at times. Then there was the fact the Betty had grown up in the Far East, and had been in a Japanese internment camp during the war, had lost both her parents early on in her life, and had gone on to be a code breaker at Bletchley Park - not quite sure how all these things could have happened at what should essentially be the same time? She makes a connection with a young boy at a party on the night of her engagement, then has a one night stand with his father (this is all very early in the book, so I don't think I'm giving anything away), which forms the basis for some brief encounters throughout her life. Personally, I found these relationships unbelievable. But the main problem I had, was that all of these were tantalising insights into what should have been a fascinating character, but ended up just telling the story of a wealthy though fairly modestly living wife.

I know I've concentrated on the negatives a lot, but I haven't read Old Filth and I wonder if that may have helped more, especially as at least one third of the book reverts to Edward's life story rather than Betty's. I suspect that readers of Old Filth also have more fondness for the characters than perhaps someone new to their story, like I was, would have from the start.

This is the second Jane Gardam book I've read, and like I said at the beginning, I did enjoy it, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if Betty's early life had had more focus and explanation.

A bit behind again, but last week had a re-read of Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith, one of my favourite books ever.

Also finished the Bristol Short Story Prize Anthology volume 3 which had some good stories, some not so much, but think the winner was head and shoulders above the rest.

Weekend saw a new download of No Shoes, No Shirt, No Spells by Rose Pressey appearing on my Kindle - how does that keep happening? - and was a perfect no-brainer of an escapist read, and good magical fun.

Still wasn't in the mood for anything serious or taxing last night so downloaded The Heat by Heather Killough Walden yesterday. I knew it was probably a mistake because Charm had mentioned it on her book list and said it was the start of a series that she highly recommended, and I was right - big mistake. I've now finished and will have to continue with the series, so another book will be wending its way down to my Kindle very shortly. :rolleyes:

Weekend saw a new download of No Shoes, No Shirt, No Spells by Rose Pressey appearing on my Kindle - how does that keep happening? - and was a perfect no-brainer of an escapist read, and good magical fun.

Still wasn't in the mood for anything serious or taxing last night so downloaded The Heat by Heather Killough Walden yesterday. I knew it was probably a mistake because Charm had mentioned it on her book list and said it was the start of a series that she highly recommended, and I was right - big mistake. I've now finished and will have to continue with the series, so another book will be wending its way down to my Kindle very shortly. :rolleyes:

What'd I do? :huh: ....:giggle:

So pleased you enjoyed, The Heat, the series just gets better ;)

I'm liking the sound of No Shoes, No Shirt, No Spells, do you think I'd like it? :)

I think you probably would, Charm. It's about a young woman who takes over her grandmothers cafe only to find out her grandmother laces the food with a touch of magic. She has the magic gene too, and after a crash course with the spell book and the spices, she's thrust into her new career. There's a problem on the very first day, and she soon has the magic inspectors checking out the cafe, threatening to close her down! It's good fun, and romantic, but with a magical flavour.

Chesilbeach, I need to have words with you!!! Will you please stop recommending books that are only available on kindle, I do not need or really even want a kindle but I will not be able to resist if you keep telling us about such interesting books!!! :wink::giggle:

I think you probably would, Charm. It's about a young woman who takes over her grandmothers cafe only to find out her grandmother laces the food with a touch of magic. She has the magic gene too, and after a crash course with the spell book and the spices, she's thrust into her new career. There's a problem on the very first day, and she soon has the magic inspectors checking out the cafe, threatening to close her down! It's good fun, and romantic, but with a magical flavour.

This sounds great! Perfect for a little escapism, it's going straight on to my wishlist :D

Chesilbeach, I need to have words with you!!! Will you please stop recommending books that are only available on kindle, I do not need or really even want a kindle but I will not be able to resist if you keep telling us about such interesting books!!! :wink::giggle:

You really need to get a kindle my friend, you're missing out on some great reads and bargains. It will more than pay for itself within the year! ;) Maybe you could ask the jolly fella in the red suit to bring you one this year? :D

Don't you start Charm, I thought I could depend on you, my fellow (tree) book swapper! :wink: I will have to start considering it I suppose as I have a number of kindle only books on my Amazon wish list. I'm just not sure I would enjoy reading an ebook as much ... :unsure:

Don't you start Charm, I thought I could depend on you, my fellow (tree) book swapper! :wink: I will have to start considering it I suppose as I have a number of kindle only books on my Amazon wish list. I'm just not sure I would enjoy reading an ebook as much ... :unsure:

Oh don't worry, you quickly get used to it. I still read paper books too, there's no reason you can't do both. I was a real doubter too, but I love my kindle AND my books! :D

Finished It Is Just You, Everything's Not S**t by Steve Stack today. A very quick, easy read, this is a sort of antidote to all through Grumpy Old Men type books, and the author reminds us of all the little things that make life that little bit better. A British nostalgia trip of childhood, parenthood and life in general, with reminders of things such as children's television programmes of yesteryear (Bagpuss, Trumpton, etc.), sweets you remember as a kid (who else remembers Pacers and Spangles?) and those other little things like the satisfaction of reading the last page of a very long book, black & white films, having your child fall asleep in your arms and the London Underground map.

While I enjoyed reading through the list, I didn't think the writing was anything special, and although I don't know the origins of the idea, it felt very much like a blog that had been worked into a book. I think I read it in a couple of hours in total, so it's not going to tax the brain, and I think it's got a very British feel to it with references that I don't know anyone outside the UK would know, but not a bad little filler between books. For a 99p Kindle download, I guess I can't really complain!

Finished It Is Just You, Everything's Not S**t by Steve Stack today. A very quick, easy read, this is a sort of antidote to all through Grumpy Old Men type books, and the author reminds us of all the little things that make life that little bit better. A British nostalgia trip of childhood, parenthood and life in general, with reminders of things such as children's television programmes of yesteryear (Bagpuss, Trumpton, etc.), sweets you remember as a kid (who else remembers Pacers and Spangles?) and those other little things like the satisfaction of reading the last page of a very long book, black & white films, having your child fall asleep in your arms and the London Underground map.

While I enjoyed reading through the list, I didn't think the writing was anything special, and although I don't know the origins of the idea, it felt very much like a blog that had been worked into a book. I think I read it in a couple of hours in total, so it's not going to tax the brain, and I think it's got a very British feel to it with references that I don't know anyone outside the UK would know, but not a bad little filler between books. For a 99p Kindle download, I guess I can't really complain!

Great review Claire :), I bought my husband 'It Is Just You, Everything's Not S**t' and it appealed to his sense of humour :giggle:

Edited by Weave

Although when I read Dead Witch Walking (the first in the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison) last year, I was fairly non-plussed by it and didn't think I bother with the rest of the series. On the whole, I thought the story itself wasn't anything out of the ordinary in this genre and the characters didn't really grab me, but I was most put off by the typeface which I found a struggle to read. I also felt it was too long and a bit slow, but I'd recently been coming across reviews of the later books in the series saying that the pace picks up and they are better than the beginning, so I thought I'd give the second book a go, especially as I could download it on Kindle without the typeface issue.

I enjoyed The Good, The Bad and The Undead, much more plot story, and as the characters were already established, there was more time for discovery of more of the society of the Hollows. In this instalment, the FIB bring Rachel in as a consultant on a case of a missing ley line witch, and she teams up with detective Glenn (one of my favourite new characters), as well as having to go back to school to take a class in order to keep tabs on a suspect. A tale of witches and vampire, demons and humans, I thought it was a pretty good mystery, and it took me quite a while to realise who the culprit was, which is unusual for me! I liked how the characters are developing, and that nothing is as black and white as it seems.

I think I'll carry on with the series now, dipping in an out when I need a supernatural fix, and see how it progresses although I can't deny, I'm hoping to see more of Glenn and less of Nick!

It does improve as a series I like most of the characters particularly Jenks and like the fact that the vampires are not immediately the sort you fall in love with I am toying with the idea of getting the latest one in the series Pale demon which has just come out.