Claire's book list 2011

chesilbeach

I've just finished reading My Blood Approves by Amanda Hocking. I read an article about how authors can now self publish their books via Amazon for the Kindle, and this author was interviewed about her experience, as she had done it and in January this year alone, she sold 450,000 copies of her ebooks. I joined the ranks of purchasers yesterday and downloaded this book for the princely sum of 70p.

Anyone who follows what I read knows that I like a good paranormal YA romance (and even some bad ones), so a teenage vampire book sounded like a good option. The story itself owes a big nod to Twilight, but that wouldn't necessarily put me off, and as a Sunday afternoon book, it was an easy read to entertain me for a few hours.

There were some uses of slang terms for clothes and shoes, brand names and band names I didn't know and I think might date the piece quite quickly.

I knew this was the start of a series before I started it, but I have to say, the ending of this first book was so abrupt and came so suddenly, I was a bit taken aback that the book was over! I'll probably carry on with them, as they're so cheap, but I wouldn't go out of my way to read any more if they were priced the same as a normal paperback/ebook.

Edited by chesilbeach

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit behind with my views on the last few books I've read, so here goes ....

I've had Thistle Soup by Peter Kerr sitting on the shelf for quite a few years, and I'm not really sure why I put off reading it so long! I've read his other books which have been memoirs about moving his family to Mallorca to run an orange farm and I'd loved them, but in Thistle Soup, he goes back and writes about growing up in Scotland and his grandfather and uncle farming during the war. Ever since I wrote an essay on post-war British agriculture for my A level, I've been fascinated by the subject, and this was a charming, personal account of one farming family and their experiences of how farming changed during the period. There were some funny stories and some tears, but a heart-warming tale that I really enjoyed.

Next up was a book group read for this month, Foreign Bodies by Candy Neubert. If it hadn't been a book group choice, I probably would have given up after the first 90 pages, but I persevered so I could discuss it at the meeting. Nothing happens in this book. I've read books where nothing happens, but the writing, descriptions, characters and settings are so evocative and beautiful, that it doesn't matter (A Month In The Country by J. L. Carr springs to mind). This book, however, didn't inspire me in the least. I can't even be bothered to write anything else about it, as I was so completely and utterly underwhelmed by it!

Finally, a weekend indulgence of YA fantasy with the latest in the The Immortals series, Night Star by Alyson Noël. It's the fifth book in the series, and the heroine, Ever, is still trying to figure out her life as an Immortal, and attempting to find the antidote to the curse that stops her being with Damen, coming to terms with how the various characters have influenced her current and previous lives, and facing up to the consequences of saving Haven's life. It's the penultimate book in the series, and I can't wait to find out how it all turns out. I'm glad to see the author has a definite conclusion planned, as I've found some series that seem to be never ending, often start to wane, while this one, which I was in two minds about when I read the first book, has improved over time and I'd love to see the last book be the best.

I started The Postmistress by Sarah Blake yesterday as we'll be discussing it in my book group this month, but having a wander around the Kindle store, I decided to treat myself to Succubus Heat by Richelle Mead, thinking it would be a delicious morsel of reading to look forward to once I'd finished The Postmistress. I've read half of The Postmistress and I'm really enjoying it, but willpower was low on a Sunday afternoon, and I switched to Succubus Heat to satisfy my need for my fantasy fix. Just finished reading it, and I loved the detour from Georgina's immortal succubus life. Richelle Mead is my chocolate and armchair comfort read of a weekend!

Back to World War Two and The Postmistress :out:

I've just finished The Postmistress by Sarah Blake, and I was truly surprised by how much I liked it, proving you can't always judge a book by its cover!

Set during the second world war, it follows the stories of three American women and how their lives are affected by the war and how their lives become intertwined.

It was really refreshing to read a WW2 book from not only an American point of view, but also from a female perspective. The author had a lovely gentle style of writing that made the book easy to read, but caught you up in the places and engaged you with the characters. I think I'd been expecting something more earnest or romantic, but it was actually just a great tale, with some good old-fashioned story telling. It was unsentimental about the subject, but still emotionally connecting with the characters. I really enjoyed it.

I've just finished The Postmistress by Sarah Blake, and I was truly surprised by how much I liked it, proving you can't always judge a book by its cover!

Set during the second world war, it follows the stories of three American women and how their lives are affected by the war and how their lives become intertwined.

It was really refreshing to read a WW2 book from not only an American point of view, but also from a female perspective. The author had a lovely gentle style of writing that made the book easy to read, but caught you up in the places and engaged you with the characters. I think I'd been expecting something more earnest or romantic, but it was actually just a great tale, with some good old-fashioned story telling. It was unsentimental about the subject, but still emotionally connecting with the characters. I really enjoyed it.

'The Postmistress' sounds a great read Claire, another book for the wishlist :)

Next up was a book group read for this month, Foreign Bodies by Candy Neubert. If it hadn't been a book group choice, I probably would have given up after the first 90 pages, but I persevered so I could discuss it at the meeting. Nothing happens in this book. I've read books where nothing happens, but the writing, descriptions, characters and settings are so evocative and beautiful, that it doesn't matter (A Month In The Country by J. L. Carr springs to mind). This book, however, didn't inspire me in the least. I can't even be bothered to write anything else about it, as I was so completely and utterly underwhelmed by it!

Oh dear! It's my turn to choose our May Book Club book and I've no idea yet what to pick (the two books I'd thought of aren't in paperback yet) - but this is definitely one to avoid! :P

This sounds wonderful Claire; a good engaging tale to sit back and enjoy. I think I'll be adding this to my wishlist, so a nod in your direction for the recommendation.

Oh dear! It's my turn to choose our May Book Club book and I've no idea yet what to pick (the two books I'd thought of aren't in paperback yet) - but this is definitely one to avoid! :P

Well, there were twelve of us who'd read it, and only one person had anything good to say about it!

'The Postmistress' sounds a great read Claire, another book for the wishlist :)

This sounds wonderful Claire; a good engaging tale to sit back and enjoy. I think I'll be adding this to my wishlist, so a nod in your direction for the recommendation.

This one, on the other hand, was well received. Most people enjoyed it, although as we were discussing it, most of us realised just how much plot was crammed into it compared to the first book we read :lol: Hope you two enjoy reading it too :D

This sounds really good! I'm another one who has added it to my wishlist!

This one, on the other hand, was well received. Most people enjoyed it, although as we were discussing it, most of us realised just how much plot was crammed into it compared to the first book we read :lol: Hope you two enjoy reading it too :D

Thanks! I'm sure I will if I can manage to get my reading back on track; not been that great recently, in all fairness.

Just finished Soulless by Gail Carriger. Alexia Tarabotti lives in Victorian London, but a steampunk Victorian London where vampires and werewolves are part and parcel of society. Unfortunately for Alexia, the unfashionably olive complexion is not the only trait she has inherited from her dead Italian father, but she's also a preternatural - she has no soul. After accidentally killing a vampire at a society ball, Alexia finds herself embroiled (albeit willingly) in the mystery of missing vampires and werewolves.

I loved this book. It is an unusual Victorian setting for a supernatural mystery, wrapped up in a funny and sexy comedy of manners, with a feisty, independent heroine, and a really interesting take on an alternate society where vampires and werewolves are accepted member of society, even within the aristocracy, and form additional ruling houses who report directly to Queen Victoria herself! Great fun.

It's taken me a couple of days to ponder Tell Me Everything by Sarah Salway before reviewing it, but I've finally collected my thoughts.

The book starts with a young woman recalling the time she told her story to her biology teacher, and several years later she is still dealing with the repercussions. Molly now finds herself boarding above a stationary shop in return for telling her stories to the owner, Mr Roberts, and as she tells her stories, she gradually comes to realise she can create herself a new life from them.

The wonderful thing about the two novels I've read by Salway are that they are like a whole raft of short stories entwined to tell the narrative of the overarching tale. In Tell Me Everything, she develops complex, and sometimes ambiguous, characters who beguile and charm the reader. What appears at face value to be a simple tale, Molly's story gradually reveals itself to be much more perplexing and even at times, quite unsettling. It makes you think about what you're reading, unravel the information Molly reveals, and consider what the reality and the intentions of the other characters might be. Despite all that, it's actually a very readable book. I found it both funny and sad, and because Salway has such affection for her characters, full of warmth and very engaging.

I know some of her books are being reprinted later this year, as they're currently unavailable and my library doesn't have them either, but I'm hoping that her books of short stories will be included in the reissues, as I'd really like to try them, to see if they are as good as the novels. Based on the style of the novels, I have high hopes!

Ali Smith's short story collection Free Love and other stories exceeded my expectations. I've read some of her novels, including Girl Meets Boy which is one of my favourite books ever, but Smith has actually been more prolific as a short story writer and I was worried that they wouldn't captivate me as much. I was completely wrong. Her writing completely embodies what I love about the short format. She captures a moment in time of the subject, expressing the joy, the sorrow, the love and the emotion and all within the few pages of the story. As I read each story, I felt that I knew the characters, was glimpsing their life for a brief instance, and was completely satisfied with the time I spent with them. Some writers write short stories that feel as though they are a cut down novel, or never feel complete, leaving you wanting more of the characters lives or stories, but Ali Smith gets it right for me. A truly wonderful book.

I've just ordered three other collections of her short stories from the library.

Breath is the first Tim Winton book I've read. A paramedic attends a call and immediately recognises what is trying to be hidden. He then recounts his adolescence and the experiences of learning to surf, with the intoxicating exhilaration of riding increasingly bigger, and more dangerous waves, leading to his sexual awakening, and how this has affected his life.

I have to say, the first two thirds of this book I thought were incredible. The vivid images of the sea are so realistically described almost made me feel the fine mist of sea spray on my face as the breaking waves roll into the shore. I was utterly captivated by these pages. Pikelet and Loonie were completely believable characters and I loved their relationship with their new found guru Sando.

So far, so good. But then came the turning point in the book for me.

Pikelet's relationship with Eva felt forced, and even if I actually felt quite scared for Bruce at times, but I didn't believe it would have happened or how he coped with it.

It was uncomfortable reading, and although I didn't enjoy it, I can sort of understand the author choosing to write about that subject, I just wish it hadn't been part of the same story of the surfers and the sea. I did, however, like how in the last twenty pages, we learnt of the fallout for Bruce from these experiences.

I will definitely be reading more Tim Winton though, as I thought his writing at times was amazing.

Ali Smith's short story collection Free Love and other stories exceeded my expectations. I've read some of her novels, including Girl Meets Boy which is one of my favourite books ever, but Smith has actually been more prolific as a short story writer and I was worried that they wouldn't captivate me as much. I was completely wrong. Her writing completely embodies what I love about the short format. She captures a moment in time of the subject, expressing the joy, the sorrow, the love and the emotion and all within the few pages of the story. As I read each story, I felt that I knew the characters, was glimpsing their life for a brief instance, and was completely satisfied with the time I spent with them. Some writers write short stories that feel as though they are a cut down novel, or never feel complete, leaving you wanting more of the characters lives or stories, but Ali Smith gets it right for me. A truly wonderful book.

I've just ordered three other collections of her short stories from the library.

I haven't read anything by her but I want to. I've got 'The Accidental' on the shelf ... it's just a question of getting round to it (usual story.) I will look out for her short stories, they sound great :) I heard a really rather bizarre but brilliant story on Radio 7 the other day .. it was all told in verse (or songs really) and they said it was written by Ali .. she's very talented.

The Accidental was the first of her books I read, and I thought it was great, but for me, Girl Meets Boy is the book that has made me feel the most joyous after reading that I've ever felt, so if you can get hold of that, I would love to hear your thoughts on it, poppyshake :smile2:

The Ask and The Answer by Patrick Ness is the second in the Chaos Walking trilogy. Todd and Viola find themselves separated and caught up in the power struggle between Mayor Prentiss and The Answer. The book follows their stories through the outbreak of war to an harrowing conclusion and ends on a cliffhanger with the promise of what is to come in the final book of the trilogy.

Why didn't I read like books like this when I was a teenager? Were they there and I missed them, or is this just a golden age for the YA genre?

This books truly examines the the concepts, theories, practical and emotional aspects of war, but in a safe "fantasy" world. It was a gut wrenching read, contemplating the two youngsters going through such atrocities and the decisions they have to make. I don't know whether it's just my age and experience of life, but all I could think about while I was reading it were the images we see in the media of boys in conflict situations forced to take arms and fight as soldiers alongside adults.

Todd and Viola's innocence allows them time and time again to be manipulated, but with each incident they grow as individuals, learning more and more about themselves and despite all the obstacles, about each other too.

I'm deliberately not buying the last book just yet, as I know I would rush it, and I want to look forward to it for a while!

I finished reading House of Silence today. Loved it, an entertaining, engrossing story. I've written a full review over in the books own thread http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/8262-linda-gillards-house-of-silence/, however, I'm going to repeat this here ...

Whatever you may think of Kindles and e-readers in general, for an author to be able to make their work available to such a large audience and still be able to have some financial benefit from it, can only be a good thing.

Edited by chesilbeach

Forgot to post my thoughts on Iron Crowned last week, so here goes ... it's the third book in the Dark Swan adult fantasy series by Richelle Mead (who also wrote the Vampire Academy books). I really enjoyed the first two books in this series, where the heroine, Eugenie, is a shaman who makes a living banishing fey and other spirits from the mortal world back to the Otherworld, where she can travel herself by taking the form of a swan. As the series has moved on, Eugenie's connection with the Otherworld is revealed both to her and the reader, and we follow her path to find out whether she will fulfil or defeat the destiny she is foretold in a prophecy.

The third story continues in much the same vein as the previous two, although I saw one of the plot "twists" coming in book one, and while Eugenie is a strong female figure, she seems to misread everyone she comes into contact with and I'm beginning to find the constant changing of her affections is grating on my nerves slightly.

I have to admit, I preferred the Vampire Academy books a lot more than I have either of the adult series she's written (if you are thinking of reading these, beware that that are graphic scenes of a sexual nature), and this has been my least favourite of the Dark Swan series as well. Despite that, it was an entertaining read that I devoured in a single day, and I'll still continue to read the series.

The Gathering is the next book in the Darkest Powers series by one of my favourite writers, Kelley Armstrong. Although it's the fourth book in the series, it's sort of a new beginning, as Armstrong introduces us to a new location and a whole new set of characters.

The main character is Maya, an adopted Native American teenager, who lives in a small remote town on Vancouver Island, that is owned by a medical research company. With a population of only a couple of hundred people, Maya's school has only 68 children and everyone knows everyone else, and everyone else's business.

The book opens with the death of Maya's best friend Serena, who drowns in the calm waters of the local lake - strange considering she was captain of the swim team. Now Maya has started noticing how she seems to have a strong affinity with animals, and the ability to heal them quicker than anyone else, especially the cougars who seem to be taking an unusual interest in her.

When a reporter appears in town and starts asking questions, it starts a chain of events that cause Maya to question her friends and neighbours in her home town and the truth of her heritage.

I can't deny it, this was probably one of my most anticipated books of the year, and I loved it. There's something about Armstrong's storytelling that captivates and keeps you turning the pages desperately wanting to know what coming next. For fans who've read the previous books, there are clues in the writing that might lead you to draw some conclusions about what is happening, but they certainly wouldn't exclude a new reader coming to the series with no previous knowledge of the world the book is set in.

The book starts in a considered and almost sedate pace, which gradually picks up, leading to a tension filled, action packed, thrilling denouement. But, beware! The ending is sudden (especially if, like me, you're reading on a Kindle and haven't been keeping an eye on the % bar at the bottom of the screen and have no idea how close to the end you are) and finishes this installment on a huge cliff hanger leaving you desperate to want the next book to read right now, and knowing it's going to be at least another year before the story will continue!

For all Kelley Armstrong fans - you will not be disappointed; get this book as soon as you can!

Short answer - yes! Longer answer = I think it would be right up your street, Charm. I'm amazed at how similar her writing is for adults and YA, the only difference I think is the sexual content really, so if you like all the Women of the Otherworld books, you'll enjoy this one and her other YA work. :)

Short answer - yes! Longer answer = I think it would be right up your street, Charm. I'm amazed at how similar her writing is for adults and YA, the only difference I think is the sexual content really, so if you like all the Women of the Otherworld books, you'll enjoy this one and her other YA work. :)

Great! I was worried maybe her YA writing wouldn't be as good, but I'll definitely add this to my wishlist :D