Claire's book list 2011

chesilbeach

I think I've been a bit biased against the Kim Harrison books purely based on the type face in the book versions as I found it difficult on the eyes, which seems a ridiculous thing to complain about, doesn't it?! I've downloaded the fourth book already, and when I think back purely about the stories, I liked them more than my reviews make out :rolleyes: Fortunately, the remaining books all seem to be available on Kindle, so I'm happily going to download and read the rest.

I really want someone else to read White Cat just to get their perspective on it, as it's really hanging around in my head and I'm curious to see what anyone else makes of it!

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want someone else to read White Cat just to get their perspective on it, as it's really hanging around in my head and I'm curious to see what anyone else makes of it!

That just tells me that it must have been good right? That's kinda the testament to a good read, if it stays with you for a while, it must have made an impression ;) Good stuff, it's def going on my wishlist.

Damn it all to hell C! You can't go a'wandering about your own thread posting reviews followed by such statements as this. :irked:

'White Cat' will be with me next week ~ I decided to go for a tree read rather than a kindle read. :P

*wanders off muttering book obscensities*

I don't often listen to audio books, but with a tedious task at hand today, and a lack of podcasts to listen to, I decided to listen to a couple today.

First of all, Jeeves in the Offing by P. G. Wodehouse, narrated by Simon Callow. I love watching the television series with Fry and Laurie, and I've always meant to read the books but haven't quite managed it yet, but I bought this a few years ago, and have been meaning to listen to it for ages now, trying to see if the writing compares to the television adaptation. Simon Callow reads in a style that mimics Fry and Laurie's style of delivery in the most complementary of ways, and it felt like the best possible way of introducing a lover of the programmes to the original material. He has the quirky eccentricity of Laurie's Bertie with the wise stoicism of Fry's Jeeves, but with the words of Wodehouse and the wonderful supporting characters brought wittily and warmly to life, providing me with a fantastically diverting few hours of happy listening.

I've not read any Wodehouse myself Claire but quite fancy trying some & I noticed that next Friday on BBC2 Terry Wogan is doing a programme on him with contributions from Stephen Fry, Richard Briers,Joanna Lumley & Griff Rhys Jones. It's the sort of thing I really like, though I'll probably have to tape it so I don't have to listen to the children groaning when I say Shall we watch this.....:rolleyes:

I'll record that too (anything with Stephen Fry talking about books is worth watching!).

Anything with Stephen Fry full stop is interesting. giggle.gif

I'll have to keep an eye out for the Wodehouse program (I really like Joanna Lumley and Griff Rhys Jones too) but we won't likely get to see it here for ages yet. :(

I had a good feeling about Out of Time by Monique Martin, the story of Simon, a professor of the study of folklore and the supernatural, and his teaching assistant Elizabeth who suddenly find themselves transported back to 1920's Manhattan. The opening few chapters had real promise of a good urban fantasy, but once the two characters arrived in the past, the book slowed down and became a bit turgid. The search for how they could have been transported was almost a throwaway line and there was little investigation into the cause and ramifications of their discovery that time travel was possible. About halfway through the book, the author reveals the intention to make Simon's study of vampirism relevant, and the story pace picks up a bit, but then the ending seems rushed and rather abrupt.

I can't say I'd recommend it to anyone, which is a disappointment, as the opening seemed to be laying down the foundations of a good adventure, but it just didn't live up to it for me.

I know I'm not the 8-12 year old girl this book is predominately aimed at, but I absolutely loved Wilma Tenderfoot and the Case of The Frozen Hearts by Emma Kennedy (although I have to be honest, she was a guest on the radio last week and said it would be entertaining for adults too). An orphan who wants to be a great detective, who meets her hero, attempts to become his apprentice while shadowing him as he works on a case with jewel thieves, murders and thoroughly evil villains - what's not to love!

If I hadn't seen the hype around the Twilight books, I never would have been drawn into the YA and fantasy books I'm now reading, and if I hadn't read the first Vampire Academy book, I would never have read any of Richelle Mead's other books. So it's thanks for a Guardian piece on the popularity of Twilight that I have now read every book that Richelle Mead has published, including the newest, Bloodlines.

This is the first in a series of books that will follow on where the Vampire Academy books left off. The events at the end of The Last Sacrifice have left Jill's life in danger, and to protect her from the threats of the vampire society, she is placed in a human school with a dhampir, a couple of alchemists and a vampire to protect her. One of those alchemists, Sydney, is under pressure to prove her worth and her loyalty to her superiors, and is the story of Bloodlines is told from her perspective, and brings back vampire Adrian and dhampir Eddie to the story along with the new character, and one of Sydney's least favourite alchemists, Keith.

I read the book yesterday, and it was everything I wanted from a follow-on from the VA series. As the story unfolds, not only is there the threat to Jill, but Sydney is able to experience being a normal teenager going to school for the first time in her life, and has to deal with the everyday problems of peer pressure and bullying, as well as schoolwork and dating, as well as the mystery of the trend for metallic tattoos sweeping the school. The story builds gradually to an action-packed, thrilling conclusion, and sets up nicely for the second instalment due next year.

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers is our current group read for the Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge. The book is a memoir of sorts, but the quirky introduction, preface and even the copyright page, let you know that this is something a bit different. The opening chapter describes how at 22 years old, Dave's parents died with a few months of each other, and how he is left to bring up his 8 year old brother, with the help of his sister (and to some extent his older brother). It's a mix of memoir and stream of consciousness, and it's sad and funny, and every emotion is laid bare on the page. At times it was flinch-inducingly cringeworthy, and at other times I felt tears spring to my eyes, then a few pages later I would be angry, followed by grinning at the ridiculousness of a particular incident.

What I particularly liked about the writing, was that it was about the author, and although his siblings and friends were there on the pages, they were ghosts rather than fully fleshed out people. What I mean by that is that Eggers doesn't try to explain them or their feelings or even their personality, but just lays down enough background about them to allow you to understand his own thoughts and emotions about each particular episode in his life. A fascinating book and another one I'm glad to have read because of this forum and the Gilmore Girls!

Couldn't resist Heist Society, the start of a new YA series from Ally Carter the author of the Gallagher Girls series. After trying to leave the "family business" and make herself a new life as an ordinary teenager at a private school, Katarina Bishop is dragged back into her old life of crime when her father is falsely accused of the theft of five masterpieces from another criminal, who gives her two weeks to retrieve his property and save her dad.

I love a good crime caper that doesn't involve violence, and I'm a big reader of YA books, so this one seemed to tick all the boxes, and I loved it. After reading AHWOSG, I tried to read another piece of serious literature, but it's been a struggle as it wasn't the book I was hoping for, so in order to get back on track, and this was perfect escapism for a rainy Saturday afternoon, and has set itself up nicely as the start of a new series, which I will be eagerly following.

Despite my previous book choice, I'm not a great reader of crime fiction, and it usually only makes it onto my reading list if it's a bit quirky or comedic, but I've often wondered if I'm missing a trick by not having read any Agatha Christie. When I saw the thread recently where someone had asked for a recommendation on where to start with her writing, and a few people all replying with And Then There Were None, I thought it was too good an opportunity to miss, and got myself a copy.

The story tells of ten people, all apparently strangers to each other, who are invited to an island off the coast of Devon. As they are all eating dinner on the first night, a mystery voice is heard in the room accusing each person of committing a crime, and within minutes one of the guests dies after ingesting a dose of cyanide. The group soon realises that the killer is one of their number and the tension and suspicion amongst them quickly mounts.

This was a quick and easy read, and actually made me feel like I was reading an Enid Blyton book for grown ups! I didn't feel there was enough to it to actually build the tension enough, and it felt a little lightweight. Everything happened too quickly, and for the situation they were in, it felt as though it should have been more claustrophobic than it actually was. I did like it, and I'm glad I've broken my Christie duck, but I can't say I'll be searching out more if I'm honest.

Edited by chesilbeach

I'm glad you're adding Heist Society to your wishlist - makes a change for me to return the favour, after all the books on my wishlist from your reviews! :lol:

I didn't find And Then There Were None creepy, but it was clever in its plotting, I just felt it needed more depth in order to make it more suspenseful.

One of my recent downloads was Touch The Dark by Karen Chance. Cassie's been in hiding for the three years since she escaped from her "boss", the master vampire who has used her clairvoyant talent for his own benefit since she was orphaned at the age of four. When she is helped by her flatmate Tomas and her ghostly friends to escape an attack of vampires, she finds out that Tomas too has been hiding his past, and they arrive at the Senate - the council of master vampires who rule their society - where Cassie learns more about her past and future, and has some tough decisions to make.

I keep telling myself I'm not going to start another series of urban fantasy books, but I keep falling for the bargains or other people's reviews (the two culprits know who they are), and this £1.99 book on the Kindle was one of the bargains. For the most part, it was okay, lots of action and intrigue, and another feisty heroine to keep me interested. I wouldn't say it was the best of the genre by a long way, but it was nowhere near the worst either, but an entertaining, fast paced read. I liked the variety of the story, as their was the clairvoyant story of Cassie, plus the vampires, and in addition to that, other supernatural elements were introduced, and the prospect of Cassie's potential future was interesting.

However, there were some problems. I'd initially liked that after the first few pages, you know you're in a supernatural world, and the author assumes the reader is familiar with this (I mean, why else would you be reading the book?), and that suited me as often on first books you end up with masses of back story and exposition just to build the world, but then when you arrive at the Senate, it's like there's a step backwards and the author feels she suddenly has to delve into the society and the rules of the world. I'll also put my usual warning on here, that there is adult content in the book, and although that didn't bother me as such, I was uncomfortable about the relationship between Cassie and her man (I won't give anything away as to who it is) and although the author does get her to justify it to a certain extent, I did find it rather predatory.

Not sure if I'll read the rest of the series, as there are definitely others out there I'm enjoying more, but I will keep it in mind if I'm stuck for an urban fantasy book to read.

Next up was another urban fantasy, this time on the recommendation of Charm, I downloaded Prophecy: Child of Light by F. E. Heaton. When young vampire Prophecy, slips out of her family home for her first slice of freedom, she hunts and makes her first kill, getting her first taste of human blood, and meets Valentine, a vampire from a family who is an enemy of her own, and their lives change forever. The story follows them as they flee from their family homes in order to find out more about Prophecy and her destiny, and to escape the sentence of death imposed on them by their families.

Now this was a full-on, thrilling, roller coaster of an urban fantasy! A great depiction of the society and it's place among the real world, the story moves around Europe with each episode unveiling more to both the characters and the readers of Prophecy's heritage. I loved the intrigue of the story, and as each episode plays out, the gradually revealing story of who Prophecy is and what she is destined to be is gripping and well plotted. There's plenty of sexual tension between the pair, but it's like one of those television series where it's a "Will they? Won't they?" type of relationship, and develops wonderfully throughout the book. All this builds to a heart-stopping, action-packed climax with a fantastic cliff-hanger which means I will definitely be downloading the rest of the trilogy in eager anticipation of how the story will play out.

Thanks to this forum, I was introduced to Simon Van Booy as a short story writer. The two collections of short stories I read (Love Begins In Winter and The Secret Lives of People In Love) both made my top five books of the year over the last couple of years, and although both are collections on the theme of love, they also look at loneliness, grief, happiness and society, and contain some of the most exquisite writing I've ever read.

With that in mind, when I found out his first novel was to be published this year, I was both anticipating it, and also dreading it, just in case it didn't match up to the wonderful short stories. I should not have worried. Everything Beautiful Began After is a gracefully told story of love, but also the effects of the abandonment and loss which happens sometimes by chance and sometimes by choice. I would love to go in to further detail about how beautifully and subtly the relationships and emotions are explored, but it would spoil it for anyone planning to read it. I'm sure that Van Booy will make my top five list again this year for this poignant, delicate and heartrending story.

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed Saci Lloyd's Carbon Diaries YA books so I was very interested to read her latest called Momentum. Like the Carbon Diaries books, this one is sent in the near future in a London society dramatically changed by an energy crisis of epic proportions causing wars around the world, and an army of Kossak soldiers maintaining order on the streets, while keeping the Outsiders in check. The hero of the book, Hunter, is the son of a Citizen - the privileged class, who had a secret and dangerous hobby, free running. When he witnesses the Kossaks in action, he comes into contact with Outsider Uma and soon realises that there is a price to pay for privilege and the secrets hidden from the Citizens and is drawn into an even more terrifying world than he could ever imagine to fight for what he believes is right.

I loved this book, it was exciting, thrilling and thought provoking, and I love that Lloyd writes challenging books that have interesting characters and a thrilling story, but that will hopefully engage teenagers to think about energy consumption without preaching to them.

Edited by chesilbeach

As a huge fan of the Kermode and Mayo film show on Radio 5, Mark Kermode is one of my favourite film critics. I read his memoir It's Only A Movie last year, and thoroughly enjoyed it, so was delighted when I found out he had written a new book, The Good, The Bad and The Multiplex about the current state of the film industry. I absolutely loved it, at times like listening to one of his trademark Kermodian Rants on the radio programme, and at others just someone who loves films waxing lyrical about a subject he adores. If you like Mark Kermode on the radio, you're gonna love this book.