Claire's book list 2011

chesilbeach

Ah-hah! Spellbound is already on my wishlist, your teasing and tempting wasn't necessary this time! :P

I know how you feel! I'm constantly telling myself not to start on a new series as I'll end up getting sucked up into it and wanting to read them all, but it's often too tempting to resist after reading a review on here (usually it's one of Charm's reviews ;) ).

Uh? What did I do?? :angel_not:

Did you see the Kindle copy of 'Angelic' by Kelley Armstrong for under £3? It's a short limited edition book, with only a few tree copies available at ridiculous prices. :)

Yes, and Counterfeit Magic for just £3.58 as well. :smile2:

Didn't know about these two though :huh: .... my bank manager thanks you both :irked:

Note to self: Stay out of Claire's book thread.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah-hah! Spellbound is already on my wishlist, your teasing and tempting wasn't necessary this time! :P

Don't tell me it hasn't just bumped itself up nearer to the top now though? :giggle2:

Uh? What did I do?? :angel_not:

:sign0142:

Didn't know about these two though :huh: .... my bank manager thanks you both :irked:

You know you're pleased to find out about more Kelley Armstrong really :P

Finished a re-read of Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer last night. I see more examples of irritating things each time I re-read one of these books, but I still find them captivating. I can't read in bed unless it's something I've read before (I have a tendency to fall asleep while reading, and not really remembering what I've read) and I don't do a lot of re-reading, but the Twilight books are pure escapist entertainment for me, and I can happily read them again and again. Will start Breaking Dawn tonight!

It's funny because I've never managed to want to re-read the Twilight books for some reason. I read them a long time ago, before all the hype set in, and although I enjoyed them, once the world-wide obsession began I just seemed to lose all interest; probably because I was of the opinion that other books and series' deserved the attention that the Twilight series was getting. I'll re-read them one day, I'm sure, but for now I think I've just been completely put off.

It's just embarrassing, Ben. I'm way too old to be reading them once, let alone repeatedly. I know they're flawed, I'm constantly irritated by some of the repetitions and I've read far better books in the genre, but for some reason, I just get caught up in them.

It's just embarrassing, Ben. I'm way too old to be reading them once, let alone repeatedly. I know they're flawed, I'm constantly irritated by some of the repetitions and I've read far better books in the genre, but for some reason, I just get caught up in them.

Hey that's the magic of books. We can't explain our attraction to them, and it would be boring if we all enjoyed the same ones, for sure. At least you know you're not the only one that's become caught up in them. :giggle:

Jut.st started the Jane True series could not think who had mentioned it on here thought I would look at your thread and lo and behold of course it was you :D I do like the lightheartedness of it especially when she talks to herself.

Downloaded a few freebies on Kindle today, but have also remembered to make use of the Download a Sample option on a few books as well. All too often I buy a book when really I should try it first to save myself money in case I don't like it. It's never been in my nature to try a book in a bookshop, I usually go by cover and blurb and don't even bother reading the first page, but with the amount of books I read now, I think I should try samples instead. If I remember, just out of interest, I might try and keep a record of the samples I download and see what percentage I actually end up buying the full copy of.

You like what you like hen :)

Jut.st started the Jane True series could not think who had mentioned it on here thought I would look at your thread and lo and behold of course it was you :D I do like the lightheartedness of it especially when she talks to herself.

This sounds just what I need, already on my wishlist thanks to Claire and now you too! :P Did you get it on kindle?

Glad you like it, pickle! :smile2: I know what you mean about trying to remember who's mentioned a book that I'm reading - my first "go to" book blogs are Charm and yours for all the supernatural books. :D

*goes off to own thread to write book thoughts* Mwhahahaha!..... hahahaha! .... *cough/choke!* :huh:

This sounds just what I need, already on my wishlist thanks to Claire and now you too! :P Did you get it on kindle?

*goes off to own thread to write book thoughts* Mwhahahaha!..... hahahaha! .... *cough/choke!* :huh:

Yep got it on the kindle and your evil plan is foiled Charm I have read all those you just added onto your book list. Chesil will definitely be getting the second one as soon as I have finished this one. :D

Gah!

I must not visit Charm's book list.

Nope doesn't work ... :out:

I decided to read Catching Fire and Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins back to back, and I think overall the three books in The Hunger Games trilogy were a good read. At the start of the second book, I had no idea how the story would progress, and the Quarter Quell reaping was a big surprise to me. I think that perhaps Mockingjay is slightly the weakest link in the chain, especially towards the end which I don't think did justice to some of the characters, but I liked the epilogue, although ...

I didn't believe that any amount of pleading from Peeta would have convinced me to have children, and I think Katniss has been so damaged by her experiences and such a strong and single-minded character that I'm not sure I could believe that she would have agreed to it either.

Yep got it on the kindle and your evil plan is foiled Charm I have read all those you just added onto your book list.

:doh: Why doesn't that surprise me :irked:

Gah!

Nope doesn't work ... :out:

:lurker: A wee secret for you both ..... I've added more :harhar:

Just finished the latest Sookie Stackhouse book from Charlaine Harris, Dead Reckoning. I know a lot of people are reading the series, so I won't give too much away about it, but I'll just say I thought it was better than the last couple of books, but not upto the standard of the best of the series, which in my opinion was the fourth book, Dead To The World.

Bear in mind there are a couple of others who read it and didn't think much of it, if you pop over to the Sookie Stackhouse thread and see their comments, it might put you off a bit. I just felt the last one in particular was just padding while waiting for the next bit of story to happen, whereas this one actually had something going on, and was more interesting.

Yeah I think it is on my wishlist already. I won't be rushing out to get it, in fact I may wait for it to come out in paperback, but I know I will get it some time. Shame the series has gone this way after such a fantastic beginning. :rolleyes:

Have had a rubbish couple of weeks with things going on at home, and reading time has been seriously diminished, so it's taken me a whole week to read Every Which Way But Dead by Kim Harrison which is the third book in her Hollows series about earth witch Rachel Morgan. I don't think it helped that I had to get a paperback copy from the library, as for some reason the publishers haven't put this one out in a Kindle version, even though all the others in the series are :irked: I had the same problem with this version as I did with the first book in the series, which actually put me off reading the rest of the series for a while - the typeface on the page is awful. It's quite a large type by normal standards but the spacing if very close together, not just of the letters within the words but also the lines seems very compact as well, and I found it incredibly hard to read. Fortunately for all the remaining books, I'll be able to get a Kindle version, so I'll be happy to KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON ;)

The story itself, which let's face it, should be the most important thing, was actually pretty good. I'm glad that one of the characters was pretty non-existent, and to be honest, I hope it stays that way as I never liked him. I'm also glad that other characters have taken a more active role in the story. I like the developing story between Rachel and Ivy, but I really hope there's more Jenks in the next book! I really enjoy the crime mystery story set in a fantasy world, it works really well for me, and as with all good heroines in books, Rachel is flawed enough in that she makes enough mistakes to be believable, but the development of her back story and her powers is interesting enough to keep the momentum going in the books.

So, I enjoyed it despite it taking me so long to read it, and despite the awful physical design of the book, and I'll definitely be reading the rest of the series in the future.

White Cat by Holly Black is about Cassel, a teenage boy who lives in a world much like our own, except for the workers - people who can work magic with a touch of their hand. But Cassel is haunted a terrible secret - he murdered a fourteen year old girl a few years before.

This was an extremely absorbing read. Cassel's story is slowly revealed and the book covers just a period of just a few weeks. Black gradually develops his life story which introduces not only his personal history and that of his family, but also of the extent of the magical world he lives in, but without the excitement or allure of the normal urban fantasy environment, this feels much more like an alternate look at class and family. In fact, the feel of it reminded me of Catcher In The Rye.

That's not to say the magical elements aren't interesting, on the contrary, it was a very unusual take on this common theme in the fantasy genre today. There were enough clues throughout the story that I could guess what was coming, but the writing just completely captivated me, and there were still some surprises, particularly with respect to Cassel's brothers.

I'm not sure it will appeal to everyone, and it's quite unusual in that the only difficultly I have with it, is that I'm not sure about who it's aimed at. There are some descriptions of violence which makes me think it's probably not suitable for teens, and the description on amazon says it's an adult fantasy, but it does feel more like a YA books at times.

Despite that, I thought it was an engrossing book and I really enjoyed reading it.

I don't often listen to audio books, but with a tedious task at hand today, and a lack of podcasts to listen to, I decided to listen to a couple today.

First of all, Jeeves in the Offing by P. G. Wodehouse, narrated by Simon Callow. I love watching the television series with Fry and Laurie, and I've always meant to read the books but haven't quite managed it yet, but I bought this a few years ago, and have been meaning to listen to it for ages now, trying to see if the writing compares to the television adaptation. Simon Callow reads in a style that mimics Fry and Laurie's style of delivery in the most complementary of ways, and it felt like the best possible way of introducing a lover of the programmes to the original material. He has the quirky eccentricity of Laurie's Bertie with the wise stoicism of Fry's Jeeves, but with the words of Wodehouse and the wonderful supporting characters brought wittily and warmly to life, providing me with a fantastically diverting few hours of happy listening.

Secondly, I was given a few Doctor Who novels on CD for Christmas a few years back, and apart from the one read by David Tennant, I hadn't listened to the other before. I decided to listen to The Art of Destruction by Stephen Cole, read by Don Warrington. This is a tenth Doctor and Rose adventure, set in Africa in the 22nd century, and as with each of the Doctor Who books I've read or listened to, I was yet again impressed with the story and surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The only problem I have with the audiobook versions is that no matter who narrates them, the voices of the Doctor and the companion never sound right, simply because they are the people who've portrayed them on screen, and actors reading the books, can never get the speech patterns and exclamations quite right. Even with David Tennant reading one of the other books I've listened to, his voices for Mickey and Rose weren't quite right, and it kept taking me out of the story. My advice to myself is to stick to the book version and resist the temptation of the spoken word!

I bought a load of Kim Harrison books the other day in The Works - 3 for a fiver, I'm missing no 2 though and don't want to start them until I have it. They sound a bit hit and miss from your review but I'm sure I'll read them anyway ;)

White Cat sounds intriguing, something similar to what I've been reading, but in a different way :huh: ...more to add to my wishlist, strike one more for you Claire! :razz: