Claire's book list 2011

chesilbeach

(who else remembers Pacers and Spangles?)

*Puts hand up!* :D

I quite like the sound of this one. Although I read something in a similar vein a few years ago (I think it was called Where Did It All Go Right? by Andrew someone from the top of my head) which, whilst I enjoyed it, wasn't as good as I'd hoped.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although when I read Dead Witch Walking (the first in the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison) last year, I was fairly non-plussed by it and didn't think I bother with the rest of the series. On the whole, I thought the story itself wasn't anything out of the ordinary in this genre and the characters didn't really grab me, but I was most put off by the typeface which I found a struggle to read. I also felt it was too long and a bit slow, but I'd recently been coming across reviews of the later books in the series saying that the pace picks up and they are better than the beginning, so I thought I'd give the second book a go, especially as I could download it on Kindle without the typeface issue.

I enjoyed The Good, The Bad and The Undead, much more plot story, and as the characters were already established, there was more time for discovery of more of the society of the Hollows. In this instalment, the FIB bring Rachel in as a consultant on a case of a missing ley line witch, and she teams up with detective Glenn (one of my favourite new characters), as well as having to go back to school to take a class in order to keep tabs on a suspect. A tale of witches and vampire, demons and humans, I thought it was a pretty good mystery, and it took me quite a while to realise who the culprit was, which is unusual for me! I liked how the characters are developing, and that nothing is as black and white as it seems.

I think I'll carry on with the series now, dipping in an out when I need a supernatural fix, and see how it progresses although I can't deny, I'm hoping to see more of Glenn and less of Nick!

It does improve as a series I like most of the characters particularly Jenks and like the fact that the vampires are not immediately the sort you fall in love with I am toying with the idea of getting the latest one in the series Pale demon which has just come out.

Well that's just great. :irked: Thanks guys, another series that I know I'd love and have to get my hands on. It's on my wishlist but now it has moved right up there. Can't you two take a reading hiatus or something and give my bank balance a break?? *stomps away grumbling*

:giggle:

Well that's just great. :irked: Thanks guys, another series that I know I'd love and have to get my hands on. It's on my wishlist but now it has moved right up there. Can't you two take a reading hiatus or something and give my bank balance a break?? *stomps away grumbling*

:giggle:

Nope! *cackles evilly* Revenge is mine!!!! The number of books I've bought after reading your reviews, it's only fair that I'm getting my own back :giggle2:

*Puts hand up!* :D

I quite like the sound of this one. Although I read something in a similar vein a few years ago (I think it was called Where Did It All Go Right? by Andrew someone from the top of my head) which, whilst I enjoyed it, wasn't as good as I'd hoped.

I used to love Pacers! Glad to know I'm not alone in remembering these things. :lol: If you're going to get a Kindle Janet, the ebook is only 99p, so even though it's a very quick read and not ground breaking writing, it'll be a nice cheap book to get you started! :D

Just spent a very enjoyable day reading the first book in The Hunger Games trilogy. What a fantastic read! A frightening look at a future society where a series of natural disasters have left the country Panem (what we would know as North America) in ruins, governed by the wealthy district of Capitol, while the rest of the country is divided up into districts that provide specific resources necessary for the country to survive. Katniss lives in District 12, the coal-mining district, where little food is available, even to those with jobs, and after the death of her father in the coal-mine, she has been the main provider for her mother and younger sister, Primrose. Each year, the reaping provides contestants to the worst kind of reality television programme, the Hunger Games, where two representatives from each district fight it out in a battle for survival in the harsh arena, with the last person alive crowned the winner.

Told in the first person by Katniss, this fast paced story horrifies not just by the cruelty of the devastating Hunger Games, but also by the oppression by the wealthy ruling class and the poverty of the working class. It's a real page turner as we follow Katniss and her fight to stay alive, with the wistful remembrances of her family, her friends and nature, all the while showing how hard it is to survive everyday normality, and how this has prepared her for the savagery of the arena.

Great book, and already have the next two lined up to read shortly.

Excellent! Another Hunger Games fan. :) I don't think I've ever seen us all agree so enthusiastically on something before. I know different opinions can make for interesting conversation, but it's also very nice when we all agree on something once in a while.

Nope! *cackles evilly* Revenge is mine!!!! The number of books I've bought after reading your reviews, it's only fair that I'm getting my own back :giggle2:

:o *gasp!* ..... But .... but....... hmph! ... :drama:

Excellent! Another Hunger Games fan. :) I don't think I've ever seen us all agree so enthusiastically on something before. I know different opinions can make for interesting conversation, but it's also very nice when we all agree on something once in a while.

It's the same at my book group, we usually have a good discussion with books because some people love them and other don't, but every once in a while we get a book we all love, and it's just fantastic when that happens, although it does make for a short discussion around the table! :lol:

:o *gasp!* ..... But .... but....... hmph! ... :drama:

Mwah, hah, hah! I think I might be adding some more to your wish list this evening ....

Tracking the Tempest by Nicole Peeler is the second book in the Jane True series. I read the first book Tempest Rising a few months ago, and really enjoyed it. Jane lives is a small seaside town in Maine, but has never really felt like she fits in. Every night she sneaks down to swim in the ocean, but on one night she makes a nasty discovery, which leads her to find out that she's only half-human and the mother abandoned her as a child was a selkie.

In this second instalment, it's four months later, and while on a trip to Chicago Jane gets caught up in another supernatural mystery with supernatural detective (and vampire) Ryu. This time it's not just the supernatural community at risk, as a series of gruesome murders of supernatural and humans alike are being committed by another halfling, one with incredible powers who has a score to settle.

Jane is a great heroine, funny and smart, not afraid to tell it like it is, and because she's finding out about the supernatural world now, it's a great way to introduce it to the reader as well. This meant the first book wasn't too much exposition and time spent on explaining the world just to the reader, and the second book hits the floor running. I loved the fact that you get humour from Jane, but against that you get the thrilling mystery to solve, and a sexy romance on top of that as well.

Looking forward to the third book due out next month.

(I bet these will be on Charm's wishlist shortly ;) )

ETA: I should just mention that there are adult scenes in the books, (comparable to the Sookie Stackhouse level, would be my feeling), so not for the YA market or those who don't like sexual content. It's not a huge part, mostly sexy romance rather than sex, but I feel it my duty to mention it.

Edited by chesilbeach

Oh for heaven's sake!:thud: What are you trying to do to me woman, bankrupt me? :motz:

I'll just have to go and add yet another series to my wishlist. Why don't you take a break from reading? Go learn to kite board, or pilot a light aircraft or something! :P

Ah, my work is done. :cool:

I should just mention that there are adult scenes in the books, (comparable to the Sookie Stackhouse level, would be my feeling), so not for the YA market or those who don't like sexual content. It's not a huge part, mostly sexy romance rather than sex, but I feel it my duty to mention it.

I'm a fan of M. C. Beaton's Agatha Raisin series of books, which are fun, easy, light-hearted murder mysteries, and was delighted to find a standalone book by her on the Kindle store for the bargain price of 99p. The Skeleton in the Closet is a fun little story about Fellworth Dolphin. After a miserable childhood to miserly parents, who refused to allow him to go to university and instead force him to get a job, then take his pay cheque and give him back a small allowance each month, and at forty years old, he is working to support his widowed mother. When she suddenly dies, he discovers that not only were his parents sitting on a fortune in the bank, there's a cash box full of money in the wardrobe, that seems to be from dubious origins ... Fell befriends Maggie, another hotel worker and between them they decide to investigate the origins of the money.

As with the Agatha Raisin books, this is another light-hearted mystery, with a cast of colourful characters from the curmudgeon's to the gold-diggers, and a crime story where no-one is quite what they seem. Good fun, and a lovely little story of a downtrodden man finding a better and happier way to live his life, even if he has a few hurdles along the way to contend with.

I went and got this yesterday The Skeleton in the Closet after reading your review cos I wanted something easy to read in bed last night already half way through and loving it. Not tried the Agatha Raisan books but might give them a go although I think I did listen to a couple of episodes on BBC4xtra recently.

I went and got this yesterday The Skeleton in the Closet after reading your review cos I wanted something easy to read in bed last night already half way through and loving it. Not tried the Agatha Raisan books but might give them a go although I think I did listen to a couple of episodes on BBC4xtra recently.

And I wasn't even trying to tempt you with that one! Glad you're enjoying it though pickle, and if you like this one, you'll definitely like the Agatha Raisin books, and there are about 20-odd books in the series so far, so it could be your next weeks reading :lol:

I've finally finished Peter Ackroyd's The Death of King Arthur. I don't normally do this, but here's the blurb from Amazon:

An immortal story of chivalry, treachery and death told anew for our times. The legend of King Arthur has retained its appeal and popularity through the ages: Mordred's treason, the knightly exploits of Tristan, Lancelot's fatally divided loyalties and his love for Guenevere, the quest for the Holy Grail. Now retold by Peter Ackroyd with his signature clarity, charm and relish for a good story, the result is not only one of the most readable accounts of the knights of the Round Table but also one of the most moving.

I've read a few of Ackroyd's books, and have liked the style of his writing, but this one is a bit different, as he's rewriting an old text. I found it required lots of concentration and time to read this book, because each time I picked it up I needed to take my time over the first couple of pages in order to get back into the language. But, once you were submerged in it, then it flow with a pleasing rhythm.

The reason I wanted to read this book in the first place is that I've been watching Camelot on television, but I didn't really know the original story. I felt a bit too intimidated by the Mallory text, and when I came across this book, I felt it seemed like a good medium. After having finished it, I feel I know the story now, but as to whether I enjoyed it, I'm not sure. After the first quarter of the book, I would have said I was loving it, but I actually put it down for a week at the half way point, as I was struggling with the repetition of themes and constant introduction of new (and often similar) characters, and the constant battles and challenges between the knights became a bit wearing. However, I decided to pick it up again and finish it, and I was pleased to finish the story and discover the fates of the characters.

Not sure I could recommend it unless you have a burning desire to know the story of King Arthur but if you do, then it's well worth a read.

The lastest in the Women of the Otherworld series, Spell Bound by Kelley Armstrong, picks up where the last one (Waking The Witch) left off. I don't want to say too much about it, as I'm conscious that some fans of the series may not be up to speed on the whole series yet, and I don't want to spoil it for them, as even the synopsis on Amazon gives away the plot of the previous book. All I will say is that the main focus is on Savannah again in this book, but unlike the previous one, some of the other familiar characters are back, and this is an out-and-out supernatural thriller with Savannah on her most dangerous case yet.

Although I did like the last book, it wasn't my favourite in the series as it was quite removed from the environment we've been used to seeing, but I did like Savannah as the main character. Putting this one back in the heart of the society we're used to, I enjoyed this one enormously, and I love how Savannah's story is developing. It really was a page-turner, with the tension building up throughout, and an exciting climax to the story.

The only complaint I have is about the ending (and please DO NOT be tempted to look at the spoiler if you are going to read the book):

It ends very suddenly on a bit of a cliffhanger and with the obvious conclusion that this is not the end of this story, and it has to continue for the next book. ETA: Just been on Armstrong's website where she says there is no book tour for Spell Bound as she's saving it for the grand series finale next year!

But overall, I think this is one of the stronger books in the series, and I'm already desperate to find out when the next installment is out!

Edited by chesilbeach

I really must get around to reading Bitten, it's on my TBR pile. I'm just worried that, if I like it, I'll end up buying all the others and ignoring the others on the pile!! For that reason I'm not reading anything that is part of a series (that I don't already own at least). I have a self imposed buying ban until at least after the school holidays as I have hardly any time to read at the moment.. :irked:

I know how you feel! I'm constantly telling myself not to start on a new series as I'll end up getting sucked up into it and wanting to read them all, but it's often too tempting to resist after reading a review on here (usually it's one of Charm's reviews ;) ).

In all honesty though, I would say that of all the urban fantasy (or whatever you want to call the genre nowadays, as everyone seems to have their own name for it), Kelley Armstrong writes the best books in my opinion, and she is the one author who I'll pay for hardback books or a higher priced Kindle book just to read each book as soon as it comes out, especially if it's one of the Women of the Otherworld series.

Edited by chesilbeach

Kelley Armstrong writes the best books in my opinion, and she is the one author who I'll pay for hardback books or a higher priced Kindle book just to read each book as soon as it comes out, especially if it's one of the Women of the Otherworld series.

Did you see the Kindle copy of 'Angelic' by Kelley Armstrong for under £3? It's a short limited edition book, with only a few tree copies available at ridiculous prices. :)

No, I must admit, I'd put them on my wishlist ages ago when I first saw they were being released in ebook format, but have yet to download them. I'm always desperate to read the full length books, but for some reason, I'm not quite so desperate to read these two, however, after having just read Spell Bound, I think it won't be very long before these two make it on to my Kindle! :lol: