Claire's book list 2011

chesilbeach

2010 reading blog - 130 books (on the Book Club Forum).

2009 reading blog - 143 books (on the Book Club Forum)

2008 reading list - 63 books

2007 reading list - 97 books

2006 reading list - 82 books

I don't have any reading goals for 2011 but I will try and read more of the Rory Gilmore list along with others following that challenge. Apart from that, I'm just going to keep it simple and enjoy my reading!

2011 BOOK LIST

Key:

Books and eBooks from 2010 TBR or earlier

2011 books

2011 eBooks (iBooks or Kindle)

Local reading group books

Re-reads

Audiobooks

Books read:

January

1. Raoul Taburin Keeps A Secret by Jean-Jacques Sempé

2. Snobbery With Violence by M. C. Beaton

3. Captivated by Carrie Jones

4. The Hundred and Ninety-Nine Steps by Michel Faber

5. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

6. Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

7. The Fire Gospel by Michel Faber

8. Ghost Town by Rachel Caine

9. Nicholas In Trouble by Rene Goscinny and Jean-Jacques Sempé

10. Friends Like These by Danny Wallace

11. Don't Judge A Girl By Her Cover by Ally Carter

12. Over Sea Under Stone by Susan Cooper

February

13. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

14. The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber

15. Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

16. The Courage Consort by Michel Faber

17. Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

18. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

19. Lost In A Good Book by Jasper Fforde

20. The Well Of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde

21. Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde

22. First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde

23. One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing by Jasper Fforde

24. Mr Rosenblum's List by Natasha Solomons

March

25. Angel by L. A. Weatherly

26. My Blood Approves by Amanda Hocking

27. Thistle Soup by Peter Kerr

28. Foreign Bodies by Candy Neubert

29. The Immortals: Night Star by Alyson Noël

30. Succubus Heat by Richelle Mead

31. The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

32. Succubus Shadows by Richelle Mead

33. Soulless by Gail Carriger

34. Tell Me Everything by Sarah Salway

35. Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler

36. Free Love and other stories by Ali Smith

37. Breath by Tim Winton

April

38. The Ask and The Answer by Patrick Ness

39. Scorpia Rising by Anthony Horowitz

40. House of Silence by Linda Gillard

41. Iron Crowned by Richelle Mead

42. The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

43. I Think I Love You by Allison Pearson

44. A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

45. Finding Sky by Joss Stirling

46. The Apple: New Crimson Petal Stories by Michel Faber

47. City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

48. Ill Wind by Rachel Caine

49. For Richer, For Poorer: A Love Affair With Poker by Victoria Coren

50. The Declaration by Gemma Malley

51. Chickens, Mules and Two old Fools by Victoria Twead

May

52. The Death Defying Pepper Roux by Geraldine Mccaughrean

53. Spying in High Heels by Gemma Halliday

54. Naked In Knightsbridge by Nicky Schmidt

55. Bite Club by Rachel Caine

56. The Group by Mary McCarthy

57. Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking) by Patrick Ness

58. Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen

59. Other Stories and other stories by Ali Smith

60. The Jewel Box by Anna Davis

61. Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill

June

62. Friday Night Bites by Chloe Neill

63. Twice Bitten by Chloe Neill

64. Hard Bitten by Chloe Neill

65. The Novel in the Viola by Natasha Solomons

66. Heat Stroke by Rachel Caine

67. Only The Good Spy Young by Ally Carter

68. Never The Bride by Paul Magrs

69. Torment by Lauren Kate

70. Up With the Larks by Tessa Hainsworth

71. Hollywood Scandals by Gemma Halliday

72. Devil's Bargain by Rachel Caine

73. The Sweetnees at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

74. A Life Like Other People's by Alan Bennett

75. Nature's Numbers by Ian Stewart

76. Alone on a Wide Wide Sea by Michael Morpurgo

77. Noah Barleywater Runs Away by John Boyne

78. What I Do: More True Tales of Everyday Craziness by Jon Ronson

79. How To Date A Werewolf by Rose Pressey

80. I, Spy? by Kate Johnson

81. Ugley Business by Kate Johnson

July

82. A is for Apple by Kate Johnson

83. Still Waters by Kate Johnson

84. The UnTied Kingdom by Kate Johnson

85. Passion by Lauren Kate

86. The Immortals: Everlasting by Alyson Noël

87. Leading The Dance by Sarah Salway

88. The Fahrenheit Twins by Michel Faber

89. The Man in the Wooden Hat by Jane Gardam

90. Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith

91. Bristol Short Story Prize Anthology - 3

92. No Shoes, No Shirt, No Spells by Rose Pressey

93. The Heat by Heather Killough-Walden

94. It Is Just You, Everything's Not S**t by Steve Stack

95. The Good, The Bad and The Undead by Kim Harrison

96. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

August

97. Tracking The Tempest by Nicole Peeler

98. The Skeleton in the Closet by M. C. Beaton

99. The Death of King Arthur by Peter Ackroyd

100. Spell Bound by Kelley Armstrong

101. Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

102. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

103. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

104. Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris

105. Every Which Way But Dead by Kim Harrison

106. White Cat by Holly Black

107. Jeeves in the Offing by P. G. Wodehouse

108. The Art of Destruction by Stephen Cole

109. Out of Time by Monique Martin

110. Wilma Tenderfoot and the Case of the Frozen Hearts by Emma Kennedy

111. Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

September

112. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers

113. Heist Society by Ally Carter

114. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

115. Touch the Dark by Karen Chance

116. Prophecy: Child of Light by F. E. Heaton

117. Everything Beautiful Began After by Simon Van Booy

118. Succubus Revealed by Richelle Mead

119. Momentum by Saci Lloyd

120. The Good, The Bad and The Multiplex by Mark Kermode

121. Wilma Tenderfoot and the Case of the Putrid Poison by Emma Kennedy

October

122. Seagulls in the Attic by Tessa Hainsworth

123. The Dolce Vita Diaries by Cathy Rogers

124. Witch Child by Celia Rees

125. The Forgotten Affairs of Youth by Alexander McCall Smith

126. Too Much Happiness by Alice Munro

127. Bertie Plays The Blues by Alexander McCall Smith

128. The Quickening Maze by Adam Foulds

November

129. The State of Me by Nasim Marie Jafry

130. Something Borrowed by Paul Magrs

131. The Welsh Girl by Peter Ho Davies

132. Vampirates: Demons of the Ocean by Justin Somper

133. Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

December

134. A Fistful of Charms by Kim Harrison

135. Agatha Raisin: As The Pig Turns by M. C. Beaton

136. The Girl With Glass Feet by Ali Shaw

137. The Mao Case by Qiu Xiaolong

138. The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter

139. Tempest's Legacy by Nicole Peeler

140. Christmas At Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons

141. Monsieur Lambert by Jean-Jacques Sempé

TO BE READ:

Pre 2011 Books TBR = 39

Pre 2011 eBooks TBR = 1

2011 Books TBR = 4

2011 eBooks TBR = 10

1. A Backward Place by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala

2. A Handful of Honey by Annie Hawes

3. Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks

4. Fragrant Harbour by John Lanchester

5. Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell

6. Human Traces by Sebastian Faulks

7. Mirrors of the Unseen by Jason Elliot

8. Sweet Honey, Bitter Lemons: Travels in Sicily on a Vespa by Matthew Fort

9. The Factory Of Light by Michael Jacobs

10. The Hungry Tide by Amitav Ghosh

11. The Infinite Book by John D. Barrow

12. The Music Of The Primes by Marcus du Sautoy

13. The Olive Harvest by Carol Drinkwater

14. The Olive Route by Carol Drinkwater

15. The Olive Season by Carol Drinkwater

16. The Science of Doctor Who by Paul Parsons

17. The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiessen

18. The Weather Makers by Tim Flannery

19. The Wind In The Willows by Kenneth Grahame

20. The Year Of The Death of Ricardo Reis by Jose Saramago

21. Wild Mary by Patrick Marnham

22. An Equal Stillness by Francesca Kay

23. Can't Be Arsed by Richard Wilson

24. Coral - A Pessimist in Paradise by Steve Jones

25. Corvus by Esther Woolfson

26. Guernica by Dave Boling

27. My Invented Country by Isabel Allende

28. Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

29. Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh

30. The Bolter by Frances Osborne

31. The Colour by Rose Tremain

32. The Library of Shadows by Mikkel Birkegaard

33. The Silver Donkey by Sonya Hartnett

34. William - An Englishman by Cicely Hamilton

35. Ordinary Thunderstorms by William Boyd

36. Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier

37. The Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan

38. Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella

39. Wicked by Gregory Maguire

40. Tamara Drewe by Posy Simmonds

41. The Hare With Amber Eyes by Edmund De Waal

42. The Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz Kessler

43. One Dog And His Boy by Eva Ibbotson

44. I Heart Paris by Lindsey Kelk

45. The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams

46. Emotional Geology by Linda Gillard

47. Mr Lonely by Eric Morecambe

48. For A Few Demons More by Kim Harrison

49. Hy Brasil by Margaret Elphinstone

50. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

51. Mark Steel's In Town by Mark Steel

52. Mr Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange

53. Lost Christmas by David Logan

54. Stealing Phoenix by Joss Stirling

Edited by chesilbeach

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided on a quick read this morning, just to see the New Year in with some fun, so I read one of my Christmas presents, Raoul Taburin Keeps A Secret by Jean-Jacques Sempé. It's a lovely illustrated hardback book, and although it is suitable for children, I think adults probably get a bit more out of it, as it's a wistful tale of a bicycle repair man who keeps a secret from everyone he know, and the consequences it has on his life.

I first came across Sempé as the illustator of the Nicholas short story books by René Goscinny. I've been given the Nicholas books in previous years for Christmas, and along with the latest one, I got this Sempé book as well this year. It's a quite old fashioned, nostalgic style of illustration, and the books have a 1950s feel about them, and I suspect this makes them appeal to the older reader just as much as the children they've been written for.

The story itself is utterly charming, amusing and affectionate, and has that classic small French town feel with an almost timeless quality about it. I completely loved it.

Edited by chesilbeach

So much for will power! Decided that despite the fact I am was determined to finish all the books on my TBR and not buy too many new books, the 12 Days of Kindle offer was too good to pass by, and I bought five books for £1 each:

The Hundred and Ninety-Nine Steps by Michel Faber

The Courage Consort by Michel Faber

The Fire Gospel by Michel Faber

Snobbery With Violence by M. C. Beaton

The Fahrenheit Twins by Michel Faber

I'm currently reading The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber and absolutely love his writing, so it seemed to be an excellent idea to get four other books at such a bargain price, plus a light hearted crime novel from M. C. Beaton.

Today, I've read another couple of chapters of The Crimson Petal and the White and four chapters of Snobbery With Violence. Will probably try and do a bit more later on as well.

Just finished Snobbery With Violence by M.C. Beaton who writes the Hamish Macbeth and Agatha Raisin books. I wondered why I'd never come across her Edwardian Murder Mystery series before, but I've just been looking into it, and I've found out it's because they were originally published under a pseudonym, Marion Chesney. I downloaded it because it was in the 12 days of Kindle offer on amazon.co.uk and only cost me £1.

At a time when class still rules the country, and women are presented during the season to ensnare suitors and obtain marriage proposals, Lady Rose has ruined her chances by taking part in a Suffragette demonstration which ends up being reported in the national newspapers. When an apparently suitable gentleman takes an interest in her, her father engages the services of Captain Harry Cathcart to find out if the gentleman's intentions are honourable.

As with the Agatha Raisin books, this was light and cheery despite being a murder mystery, and although I did think it was a completely ludicrous melodrama of a mystery, I thoroughly enjoyed it as a humorous Sunday afternoon read. The characters are flawed, she makes fun of all classes of the Edwardian age, and there are enough twists and false to make this a traditional British farce.

There are three other books in the series so far, and I definitely want to find out what happens with Lady Rose and Harry, so I'll be adding them to my wishlist for when I need some light-hearted, fun reading to cheer me up.

Edited by chesilbeach

My case for my Kindle still hadn't arrived so I've been having to take actual books to work with me this week :eek: but it has been giving me the chance to try and make a dent in the two shelves full of books sat waiting patiently for me to read them (although I swear that copy of Wicked keeps edging forward on the shelf trying to tempt me).

Anyway, I finished Captivate by Carrie Jones today. It's the second book in a YA supernatural series, this time about pixies and shape shifters. I have to admit, after I read the first book in the series, Need, I thought I probably wouldn't bother with any more in the series, but if I remember correctly, I needed a third book to make up numbers for a 3 for 2 offer, so I got it just to see how the story carries on. Well, it was okay, and I was very surprised by the direction she took with one of the lead characters, as I thought it would be exactly the suspense of that person trying to avoid that particular fate that would keep the series going, so now I'm sort of intrigued to see the next instalment as well. Having said that, I've read a lot of books in this genre since the accursed Twilight saga got it claws (or should that be fangs) into me, and this series ranks very low down on my favourites. There is a third book out now, and a fourth planned, and although I am vaguely interested in following it up, I'm not going to be rushing out to buy it at the moment.

As I'm really enjoying reading The Crimson Petal and the White, I decided to take the opportunity to buy more books by Michel Faber which were on offer on Amazon at £1 each for the Kindle. The first one of these I've read is the novella, The Hundred and Ninety-Nine Steps.

Siân wakes up from the same nightmare of her grisly death every morning. Hoping that manual work can distract her from the terrible dreams, she joins an archaeological dig in Whitby Abbey, but after meeting Magnus, her skills as a paper conservator are invaluable to help solve the mystery of the confessions written on a centuries old scroll that has been imprisoned in a bottle.

In this short but wonderfully written story, a Gothic mixture of romance, murder mystery and the ghosts of both Whitby and Siân's past, the parallel threads of the unravelling of the delicate manuscript and the unravelling story of Siân's past converge to a satisfying (although not altogether unpredictable) conclusion.

The acknowledgements tell us the artist in residence at Whitby Abbey requested a short story to be written inspired by the English Heritage dig, and I liked that although the dig is part of Siân's life and escape, it is more the Abbey and the reason for the dig that prove the inspiration, not the dig itself.

The character of Siân felt very real and genuine, and it's through her narrative that the story is told. However, my only slight criticism is that due to the brevity of the format and writing, the character of Magnus tends to be slight in comparison and I didn't always feel I understood his actions or reactions.

The story itself was gripping, exciting and fast paced, unusually so, considering it relates to what would seem to be the detailed, considered work of a paper conservator. A very good read, and I'm looking forward to reading more of the books from this author I have already lined up.

I had really enjoyed TCPATW, but was disappointed by The Apple and so hadn't bought any more his books; I like the sound of The Hundred and Ninety-Nine Steps, though. £!? I can see I am going to have to think about getting a Kindle, just think of all the money it would save me... :)

I finished The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness yesterday. The story is narrated by Todd, a teenager who has grown up in Prentisstown - a town on New World, where the early settlers have been exposed to an alien germ which has caused the thoughts of all men to be audible and has killed off the women. The "Noise" is everywhere, and it's not just the men, but the animals have been infected too. But even this doesn't stop the town men keeping secrets, especially from the boys. And when Todd is just one month away from becoming a man, these secrets start a chain of events and Todd must flee from everything and everyone he knows ...

This book was excellent. The story expands from starting with the small scale of the farm in Prentisstown, gradually revealing the wider landscape of New World and in parallel Todd's character expands as the experiences force him to develop from boy to man, and because of the first person narrative, the reader learns at the same time as Todd what all the secrets are, and begins to understand what has happened in this broken society.

There is no doubt that violence, rage and corruption play a big part in making this story seem very real, but it is the possibilities of what might be at the end of the quest that keep it from spiralling into a nightmarish, dystopian tale, and give the reader a sense of hope and optimism rather than despair.

The author has chosen to write Todd's speech and thoughts in dialect, so there is some unusual spelling and grammar used, but it is written very much as it would be spoken, so I never felt that it jarred or took me out of the story, more that it added to the feeling of authenticity.

I don't want to say too much about the other characters because it might give away too much, too early, but the story and the characters affected me, and I don't mind admitting I shed a few tears at various points in the story, as I could feel the heartbreaking emotions that simple words on a page can evoke.

Edited by chesilbeach

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris is a collection of autobiographical essays, with the book split into two parts, the first part covering growing up and his life in America, while part deux looks at the French and the time he's spent in France. One of my friends has been recommending Sedaris to me for ages, and this one is on the Rory Gilmore list, so thought I'd give it a go.

I was nervously worried by how many "Hilarious!" type blurbs were on the cover, as it usually ends up being an omen that the book will not be in the slightest funny, but I actually enjoyed it. It wasn't laugh out loud funny, but I found a gentle humorous tone running through the pieces, which were easy to read and at times acutely observed. I have to admit, I liked the French essays more than the American ones, but I think that's because I love reading books about people who move to France to start a new life, and I could identify much more with learning a new language than I could with growing up in the States.

On the whole, an entertaining book, and I may well look at some of his other books in the future, but I'm not going to be running out to grab them immediately.

That pretty much sums up my response to the book, too. Although I think I preferred the American essays. Or maybe not. I don't know. It's one of those books I can't quite make up my mind about.

I read a lot of comments afterwards on GoodReads and many of them are extremely negative. I don't really understand why. It wasn't a hilarious book by any means but it was a pleasant way to spend a few hours.

Canongate are running a long term project to produce a series of retellings of legendary myths by contemporary authors. The Fire Gospel is the third book in the series I've read, and is author Michel Faber's interpretation of the Greek Myth of Prometheus, who stole fire from Zeus and gave it to mortals.

His protagonist is Theo Griepenkerl, an academic who specialises in Aramaic and is in Iraq trying to find treasures he can "save" from destruction by taking them back to Canada for storage. When the looted museum he is visiting is bombed, he finds nine papyrus scrolls that have been hidden inside a sculpture for two millenia. He translates the scrolls from Aramaic to find they are actually a fifth Gospel written by a man who was present at the crucifixion of Jesus. The story follows the inflammatory tale of what happens when Theo publishes the contents of the scrolls.

This is the third book of the Myths series I've read, and I've yet to be disappointed. It's a pacy, quick read, and felt a bit like a shorter, more literary version of the blockbuster type thrillers like the Sam Bourne novels. Before you even read the whole story, as you realise what the scrolls contain, you begin to think about the impact they would have on religious communities around the world, even if Theo's single-minded approach to what it will do for him is a bit too naïve to be fully convincing, but it doesn't really detract from the story as you can imagine how he would get caught up in the process of his revealing of the Gospel to the world.

There's one particularly funny chapter, when after Theo's translation has been published, he's at a loose end and decides to have a look at how well his book is doing on Amazon, and reads a selection of the customer reviews. Faber has taken great delight in writing these reviews, with their spelling, grammar and typographical mistakes, and all feel totally authentic and made me chuckle to myself (although maybe I feel a little uncomfortable writing my own thoughts on Faber's book here now!).

Another Faber book down, and another good read. Also another book in the Myth series read, and another one enjoyed. I'm going to try and keep occasionally dropping another of the books from this series into my reading, as I've enjoyed them a lot, but I don't think Ali Smith's Girl Meets Boy will ever be surpassed, as surely the most joyous book I've ever read.

Edited by chesilbeach

I had to abandon my first book of the year today - Devoted Ladies by Molly Keane. I'd been looking forward to it, as when I picked it up, it sounded as if would be in the same vein as The Diary of A Provincial Lady or have the same humour as the Mapp and Lucia series. Unfortunately, it was neither. For a character driven book, I felt no empathy with any of them, and they didn't engage me in the story. In fact, there were far too many similar sounding characters, that I found it confusing to keep them straight in my head. Their actions felt too staged, and the dialogue didn't seem to come off the page, but felt stilted and false.

I read 80 pages, but I'm just not getting on with it, so have decided to give up. Very disappointed :(

It's a shame you weren't enjoying it, but you did the right thing by giving up on it. I used to hate doing so, but I've come to the conclusion that life's too short to read books if you're not enjoying them.

Onwards and upwards (hopefully!). :)

I finished The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness yesterday. The story is narrated by Todd, a teenager who has grown up in Prentisstown - a town on New World, where the early settlers have been exposed to an alien germ which has caused the thoughts of all men to be audible and has killed off the women. The "Noise" is everywhere, and it's not just the men, but the animals have been infected too. But even this doesn't stop the town men keeping secrets, especially from the boys. And when Todd is just one month away from becoming a man, these secrets start a chain of events and Todd must flee from everything and everyone he knows ...

This book was excellent. The story expands from starting with the small scale of the farm in Prentisstown, gradually revealing the wider landscape of New World and in parallel Todd's character expands as the experiences force him to develop from boy to man, and because of the first person narrative, the reader learns at the same time as Todd what all the secrets are, and begins to understand what has happened in this broken society.

There is no doubt that violence, rage and corruption play a big part in making this story seem very real, but it is the possibilities of what might be at the end of the quest that keep it from spiralling into a nightmarish, dystopian tale, and give the reader a sense of hope and optimism rather than despair.

The author has chosen to write Todd's speech and thoughts in dialect, so there is some unusual spelling and grammar used, but it is written very much as it would be spoken, so I never felt that it jarred or took me out of the story, more that it added to the feeling of authenticity.

I don't want to say too much about the other characters because it might give away too much, too early, but the story and the characters affected me, and I don't mind admitting I shed a few tears at various points in the story, as I could feel the heartbreaking emotions that simple words on a page can evoke.

Great review Chesil, I am fighting the urge to re~read them all again :)

Forgot to put down my thoughts on Ghost Town on Sunday. Written by Rachel Caine, it's the latest in the Morganville Vampire series. I've loved every one of these books, they're funny and exciting, and there is a genuine sense of peril for the characters up against the strained relationships between the humans and vampires. A quick, easy read, I know, but the pages just whizz by as I get caught up in Claire's story. I wondered how Caine would continue the series as the first six or seven books had a cliffhanger to take you on to the next book each time, and the last couple of books have had an uneasy conclusion but didn't leave you on the edge of your seat exclaiming, "You can't leave it there!!!!", but I have liked how she's developed what's happening in Morganville. This one doesn't leave you on tenterhooks as such, but it does leave you feeling you know what the next book will be about, but not how she'll deal with it.

Today I read Nicholas In Trouble by Rene Goscinny and Jean-Jacques Sempé, one of the books I was give for Christmas. Although it is most definitely a children's book, and I think would benefit from being read aloud to young boys, I totally love these beautiful illustrated story books. Nicholas is an unconsciously mischievous little boy, who along with his friends gets himself in to no end of trouble, most of it innocent, but all of it funny and beautifully observed, and I'm sure would be an absolute delight for parents to read to their children.

Goodness me Claire, your mojo is certainly in full swing! I took a break after 4 Rachel Caine books and like you, I could easily read one a day, they're so engrossing! I had to come up for air though, still have two waiting in case my mojo wanes ;) Glad you're having a good reading year so far :friends3:

Just finished reading Friends Like These by Danny Wallace. It's the summer of 2006 and Danny's mum sends him a box of stuff from her attic. It's a mix of things from his childhood, including his first ever address book with his twelve best friends addresses in, and he realises that he's lost contact with all of them. Coupled with the fact that he know owns display cushions and has DIY responsibilities around the home, it quickly dawns on him that he's becoming a man. He starts on a quest to update his address book and meet up with his twelve friends before he turns 30 and when he will have officially grown up.

This was a brilliant book. It's written in a very informal style, almost like a journal, but with the feel of a friend writing you a letter to tell you what they've been up to. Danny is only a few years younger than me, so the memories and reference points made me nostalgic for my own childhood and adolescence, and written with a genuine warmth that makes it feel very inclusive and I was completely immersed in the quest myself.

There are times when things don't go according to plan, with some poignant and emotional moments, from revelations to rekindling of friendships, but overall, it's a very satisfying story to read, great fun and I'm off to find out if any of his other books are available for download.

Just finished reading Friends Like These by Danny Wallace. It's the summer of 2006 and Danny's mum sends him a box of stuff from her attic. It's a mix of things from his childhood, including his first ever address book with his twelve best friends addresses in, and he realises that he's lost contact with all of them. Coupled with the fact that he know owns display cushions and has DIY responsibilities around the home, it quickly dawns on him that he's becoming a man. He starts on a quest to update his address book and meet up with his twelve friends before he turns 30 and when he will have officially grown up.

This was a brilliant book. It's written in a very informal style, almost like a journal, but with the feel of a friend writing you a letter to tell you what they've been up to. Danny is only a few years younger than me, so the memories and reference points made me nostalgic for my own childhood and adolescence, and written with a genuine warmth that makes it feel very inclusive and I was completely immersed in the quest myself.

There are times when things don't go according to plan, with some poignant and emotional moments, from revelations to rekindling of friendships, but overall, it's a very satisfying story to read, great fun and I'm off to find out if any of his other books are available for download.

I read this last year and thought it was fantastic. I keep meaning to try and pick up 'Awkward Situations for Men' but never get round to it. This review will hopefully spur me on to go get it.

I read this last year and thought it was fantastic. I keep meaning to try and pick up 'Awkward Situations for Men' but never get round to it. This review will hopefully spur me on to go get it.

That one is available for download on the Kindle, and I think I'll be getting it in the future - will probably save his books for holiday reads, as it felt like the sort of thing I really like during my weeks away.

I started reading the Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter last year while on holiday, and devoured the first two books in a single day! The Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women to the outside world is a private girls school for the gifted girls, but behind the facade, it prepares the next generation of skilled intelligence operatives. It's not just a secret within the school, it's one of the country's closely guarded secrets with not even the majority of the CIA knowing about its existence. After the death of her father, Cameron Morgan moves to The Gallagher Academy with her mother, who has removed herself from the intelligence world - to become the school headmistress.

The books follow Cammie and her friends not only through their extraordinary classes but also through the pitfalls of being teenage girls! They're great fun, and quick reads, and there's something about a female spy story that I find glamorous and thrilling, despite the dangerous risks, and added with my current penchant for YA books, these were always going to be a winner with me.

I've just finished the third book, Don't Judge A Girl By Her Cover which was a great Sunday afternoon, lazy, but purely entertaining read. Can't wait for the next book to be out later this year.