Janet's Reading 2011

Janet

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've caught up with some today but still have 11 to do! :giggle2: Do you know how many you're behind on? I think you read more than me, so maybe it's even higher.

I get behind, then catch up, then resolve not to let it get so far behind again (like my ironing pile, really! :giggle2: ) but it never lasts...

Strangely .. I have eleven too :D and I do exactly what you do, catch up only to fall behind again. It's so difficult then because the book's not fresh in your mind. I'm pretty sure there was a book I read last year that I never got around to reviewing .. it got a score but apart from that nothing ... not even a good/bad or indifferent! At this rate there'll be more than one book going unreviewed by the end of this year.

Perhaps if there was a reward like cake or something .. I could buck my ideas up :)

I find that if it's a book I've simply loved, I quite often write about it in here... in a designated thread... on another (non-book forum)... on Facebook - and then I can go back and cobble the various postings together to make some sort of review - it's the ones that were average I don't remember! I also find the older I get, the less a book 'sticks' unless I discuss it at length. So I can remember (for example) The Kite Runner pretty clearly, because it was a Book Club read (and I loved it), even though I read it in 2006 or 2007 but I can look at the title of a book I read a few months ago and find I've already virtually forgotten what it was about! :doh:

Mmm yes, a reward system! Something savoury in my case! :giggle2:

Today I finished Howards End is on the Landing by Susan Hill. I had it from my parents for Christmas 2009 and I've no idea why it took me so long to read! I thought it was really good.

I've just looked on Amazon, and a lot of reviewers hated it for her 'name dropping' but she apologises for that in the first few pages, and actually I didn't mind it. It's given me a lot of new ideas for books to try. It's one of those books that I think I need to read again.

In the back she lists her 'Final Forty' books. In my copy, it's a 'Final Thirty-Nine' as one of the books appears twice! :giggle2: Apparently that's because there was an error in her original list that was published in the first print run as neither Susan nor her editor picked up on it!

I wonder if I should try Howards End now? I shudder to after struggling through A Room with a View, which I thought was dull as ditch-water!!

Today I finished Howards End is on the Landing by Susan Hill. I had it from my parents for Christmas 2009 and I've no idea why it took me so long to read! I thought it was really good.

I've just looked on Amazon, and a lot of reviewers hated it for her 'name dropping' but she apologises for that in the first few pages, and actually I didn't mind it. It's given me a lot of new ideas for books to try. It's one of those books that I think I need to read again.

In the back she lists her 'Final Forty' books. In my copy, it's a 'Final Thirty-Nine' as one of the books appears twice! :giggle2: Apparently that's because there was an error in her original list that was published in the first print run as neither Susan nor her editor picked up on it!

I wonder if I should try Howards End now? I shudder to after struggling through A Room with a View, which I thought was dull as ditch-water!!

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the book, Kylie sent me a copy of this just a month ago or so and I've been dying to read it! :smile2:

I read A Room with a View maybe 3 years ago and absolutely loathed it, it was so incredibly boring. I swore I'd never read another Forster again. However, I picked up Howards End because of a reading challenge or two, and was surprised to learn it wasn't nearly as dull as ARwaV. So I dare suggest you give it a go someday, there's no harm done :)

Hope you enjoyed the twist. I never saw it coming, and regard it as one of the best I've come across.

Heehee .. I never saw it coming either though something crossed my mind a few chapters in .. but I thought it unlikely and dismissed it.

Yesterday I finished The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndam and today I've read about half of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie!

I said it already on facebook, I'm so pleased you enjoyed 'The Midwich Cuckoos' so much, I did too, I also like the film, the original one with George Sanders. :)

Hope you enjoyed the twist. I never saw it coming, and regard it as one of the best I've come across.

Heehee .. I never saw it coming either though something crossed my mind a few chapters in .. but I thought it unlikely and dismissed it.

I don't want to say too much before the thread for discussion opens in the Reading Circle section, but let's just say I really enjoyed it. :)

I said it already on facebook, I'm so pleased you enjoyed 'The Midwich Cuckoos' so much, I did too, I also like the film, the original one with George Sanders. :)

I've never seen a film version. I haven't seen Village of the Damned (or whatever it's called) but I didn't even realise it was based on this until I finished the book and looked at it on Amazon!

I'm trying to get as many as I can with the Peter Lord covers - I've got four of them - two I've read (this and ...Triffids) and then The Kraken Wakes and The Chrysalids.

047-2011-Oct-26TheMidwichCuckoos.jpg018-2009-Mar-16-TheDayoftheTriffids.jpg

I'm keeping my eyes peeled in charity shops! They seem to come up quite often on Ebay too. :)

I don't want to say too much before the thread for discussion opens in the Reading Circle section, but let's just say I really enjoyed it. :)

I've never seen a film version. I haven't seen Village of the Damned (or whatever it's called) but I didn't even realise it was based on this until I finished the book and looked at it on Amazon!

I'm trying to get as many as I can with the Peter Lord covers - I've got four of them - two I've read (this and ...Triffids) and then The Kraken Wakes and The Chrysalids.

047-2011-Oct-26TheMidwichCuckoos.jpg018-2009-Mar-16-TheDayoftheTriffids.jpg

I'm keeping my eyes peeled in charity shops! They seem to come up quite often on Ebay too. :)

I like those covers! :) I will keep an eye out for you too :)

I bought home a large bag of books and two bookcases today.

It's a bit of a bitter-sweet haul. My mother-in-law died a year ago and her house is going to be rented out so we're in the process of clearing it out. I'd known my mother-in-law my entire life (Peter and I grew up in the same village - I've known him all my life too) and I'd rather have my mother-in-law and father-in-law than their belongings, but as that's not possible, and she wanted me to have first dibs on her books, I've bought some back that I think I might enjoy.

It's a rather random selection (I'll try to list them tomorrow). I think I might use the smaller of the two bookcases for my now increased 'to read' pile. I've been making such an effort to get the pile down too! Ah well.

Thanks, Poppy. :):hug: I also brought home her chair which will make a lovely reading chair. :)

I hope you are okay Janet, I agree with Poppy, what a lovely thought from your mother~in~law, she knew you would cherish them. :)