Janet's Reading 2011

Janet

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoops - I appear to have bought another book! :lurker: In my defence, it was only £2.81 and it's been on my Wishlist for ages!

A Parcel of Patterns by Jill Paton Walsh - this is a children's book about the plague village Eyam. I've read, and thoroughly enjoyed Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks about the same village so I've wanted to read this for yonks! :)

It will also count towards my Decades challenge. Win win! ;)

Hey Janet, just read your review of The Elephant Keeper, which was great. It does indeed look like it could be a delightful little read. Thank you for letting us know your thoughts on it, for you've encouraged me to add it to my wishlist. I know I shouldn't be adding books to my wishlist with them being so easy to purchase on my Kindle, but it seems I'll allow myself to cave for this one.

Edited by Ben

Using this as my defence:

Technically, I would say you didn't buy this book, it was a gift, just one you chose yourself. It definitely shouldn't count against you, and I'm pretty sure a good defence lawyer could argue against you having "bought" it, so you should not have any guilty feelings or think you've let yourself down in any way, Janet. You are hereby absolved of any responsibility for having increased your TBR pile. :friends3:

Today I purchased book 5 of 2011 - The Hundred and Ninety-nine Steps by Michel Faber

Looking at my Amazon Wish List I added this on 29 June 2007!!

It counts towards my Europe (and therefore my World) Challenge as the author was born in the Netherlands. :)

ETA: Thanks again for the defence, Claire! :giggle2::hug:

Edited by Janet

Whoops - it should have said 9/10 anyway, not ½ anything! :lol: I don't know what happened there! :blush:

ETA: On reflection, I can't think of anything to criticize it for so I'm going to make it 10/10 - I loved it as much as Cider With Rosie. :)

Edited by Janet

I loved it as much as Cider With Rosie. :)

When I was at school a teacher refused to let me read Midnight Express by Billy Hayes during quiet reading time & she tried to force Cider With Rosie on me instead. Consequently I didn't get round to reading it till I was an adult & I didn't think much of it either, I think I was predjudiced against it , which just goes to show how someone can have a negative influence on your reading instead of a positive one.

That's a shame, but you're right - probably her trying to force you to read it didn't help much.

I tend to like reading about England in the early 1900s (fiction or non-fiction) so it was right up my street, but I imagine some people would find it very dated or even maybe a bit twee. :)

Yesterday I finished The Autobiography of a Super-tramp by W H Davies.

Today I bought another book. :lurker:

A Kestrel for a Knave by Barry Hines for £1.49 in Age UK, Shaftsbury.

I’m not clear as to whether this is a children’s/YA book or not? It’s in the Telegraph’s “100 Children’s books…” list and I believe it’s studied at KS4 in the UK (Years 10 and 11) but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not an adult book. If it’s classed as an adult book then I can use it for my decades challenge. If not, well it doesn’t matter - I’ve had it on my Wish List for quite some time.

Annoyingly I also bought an Orwell book that I thought I needed and discovered it's one I already have - it's Shooting the Elephant I'm missing. Grr. Still, this has far nicer print so I'll pass the old one on.

Total new books acquired in 2011: 8

Number of these read: 4

Total cost of books acquired: £10.53

:blush: