Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2011

Kylie

Some of you may remember that I recently requested some advice for books to get my parents into reading.

Dad hasn't shown any further interest (too busy to read) but Mum has turned into a bookworm virtually overnight! She has already read 4 books so far this year and I had to give her another pile the other day to keep her going. She is, to my shame, a much more disciplined reader than me. She will turn off the TV and just read, but I get easily distracted by the TV and internet and don't read nearly as much as I could.

Anyway, she has read and enjoyed The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency and is currently reading One for the Money by Janet Evanovich. She polished off Of Mice and Men in one night. She also borrowed a couple of books from co-workers of hers: a Jeffery Deaver and a Lee Child (can't remember exact titles). She really enjoyed them too. So now I've got her started on a few different series and won't be at a loss for books to give her.

And without any prompting or suggesting from me, she has decided to keep a list of all the books she has read. cool.gif

Prior to this, Mum never showed any interest whatsoever in reading. I'm so proud and happy I could burst. biggrin.gif It is so cool talking to her about books and hearing her all excited about them. I bought her a mushy mother/daughter bookmark yesterday and she was thrilled.

I guess my love of reading was in the genes after all! smile.gif

Oh, this made me quite teary, how fantastic :) .. definitely want to hear more about what she's been reading. And she has the whole of your extensive library to choose from .. I do envy her.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is so great that she has started to read. My mom read a bit too but she never likes my suggestions. I gave he the time travlers wife for her birthday but she found it to complicated with all the jumps back and forward in time. I haven't read it my self but it sounds great. I may steal it back if she decides to give up on it. :-p

It sounds like the two of you will have a great year of reading!!

I think my Mum would have the exact same problems with The Time Traveler's Wife. She doesn't like movies that jump all over the place so I'll scratch this one from the list of possible books to lend her. I, however, did enjoy reading it. :)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand your new nickname is Camilla!

*shrugs* Whatever. You don't scare me. :P

I feel sorry for Camilla though. She is given such a hard time. I don't think she's ugly at all.

Oh, this made me quite teary, how fantastic :) .. definitely want to hear more about what she's been reading. And she has the whole of your extensive library to choose from .. I do envy her.

Aw, thanks Poppyshake. friends0.gif It will be interesting to see which books I can get her to read, because for now I doubt very much she'd go for sci-fi/fantasy, young adult or some of the classics (I think she'd lose patience with some of the more verbose novels). Then again, I have a feeling she's going to prove me wrong. :) But even if she doesn't like those genres, there are plenty of books to keep her going.

post-3835-064057400 1296384712_thumb.jpg

Watchmen

Alan Moore

Summary (from Goodreads):

It all begins with the paranoid delusions of a half-insane hero called Rorschach. But is Rorschach really insane or has he in fact uncovered a plot to murder super-heroes and, even worse, millions of innocent civilians? On the run from the law, Rorschach reunites with his former teammates in a desperate attempt to save the world and their lives, but what they uncover will shock them to their very core and change the face of the planet! Following two generations of masked superheroes from the close of World War II to the icy shadow of the Cold War comes this groundbreaking comic story -- the story of The Watchmen.

Comments:

Please excuse this review. I've mostly just copied it from my views in the reading circle, so it will likely read as a random collection of thoughts rather than a proper review.

My first real foray into the world of graphic novels didn’t disappoint.

I loved the artwork and was poring over every single panel to ensure I didn't miss a thing. I loved the way that a series of panels would zoom in or out on a particular scene. A seemingly small touch, but it really added something to the story. Another aspect I really loved was the stories within stories, and the way they often seemed to parallel what was happening in the main story.

I found all the text at the end of each chapter a little tedious, but that's mostly because I was anxious to get on with the story and I didn't like being held up. They did provide interesting back stories though.

My favourite character was Rorschach, who I thought had the most depth of character. Although he was quite brutal, I think his heart was roughly in the right place, unlike a certain other character, who was basically the opposite.

This is my first graphic novel by Alan Moore, and I already have V for Vendetta on my wish list, not least because it's part of my dystopian challenge. I'm looking forward to it even more now.

Rating: 8/10

Edited by Kylie

First of all, having read the posts regarding your mother's reading........all I can cay is YAYS!! Yippee!! :cool:

My mother and I had the same sort of taste in books, and many the night we sat and read, finished a book, and switched books, then discussed. She's been gone now for over 30 years, and I'd never been able to share reading so thoroughly with anyone till my OH came along. In fact, that's how we met...through books/reading.

So, you have many years to look forward to sharing with her. :friends3:

Secondly, I haven't been that interested in graphic novels, OH has a few, and is more so interested than I have been, but your review has intrigued me. I'm contemplating buying Watchman...I'll certainly take a close look in the store. Good review. Thanks. :smile2:

AIE: just noticed, realized your remark re dystopian novels...what have you read so far?

Edited by pontalba

post-3835-082785200 1296449331_thumb.jpg

The Library at Night

Alberto Manguel

Summary (from Goodreads):

Inspired by the process of creating a library for his fifteenth-century home near the Loire, in France, Alberto Manguel, the acclaimed writer on books and reading, has taken up the subject of libraries. “Libraries,” he says, “have always seemed to me pleasantly mad places, and for as long as I can remember I’ve been seduced by their labyrinthine logic.” In this personal, deliberately unsystematic, and wide-ranging book, he offers a captivating meditation on the meaning of libraries.

Manguel, a guide of irrepressible enthusiasm, conducts a unique library tour that extends from his childhood bookshelves to the “complete” libraries of the Internet, from Ancient Egypt and Greece to the Arab world, from China and Rome to Google. He ponders the doomed library of Alexandria as well as the personal libraries of Charles Dickens, Jorge Luis Borges, and others. He recounts stories of people who have struggled against tyranny to preserve freedom of thought—the Polish librarian who smuggled books to safety as the Nazis began their destruction of Jewish libraries; the Afghani bookseller who kept his store open through decades of unrest. Oral “memory libraries” kept alive by prisoners, libraries of banned books, the imaginary library of Count Dracula, the library of books never written—Manguel illuminates the mysteries of libraries as no other writer could. With scores of wonderful images throughout, The Library at Night is a fascinating voyage through Manguel’s mind, memory, and vast knowledge of books and civilizations.

Comments:

I’ve developed a sudden and intense interest in reading books about books. These have mostly come via recommendations from others, but I found this particular gem all by myself when browsing in the bookshop.

Alberto Manguel is an immensely intelligent and accomplished man. He sounds like one of the most well-read men to walk the earth, and his personal library sounds like a thing of beauty: 30,000 books in a library built around a 15th century wall on a property in France.

Manguel has read more books than I will ever be able to manage, and I’m certain he has never wasted time reading ‘fluff’. The books he has read span many centuries and many languages. I don’t think I’d heard of most of the books he mentioned, but they all sound fascinating, and I had to be selective when adding to my wish list.

The book is a collection of essays concerning different facets of the library; the Library as Shadow…as Shape…as Mind…as Survival…to name but a few. There’s a wealth of information concerning the origins of libraries and books, the censorship of books, and the architecture of famous libraries. There is no strict order to the book; it jumps from past to present, from public libraries to Manguel’s personal library and intersperses fascinating literary anecdotes throughout. It works well.

There are a large number of black and white illustrations scattered throughout the book, which provide a welcome addition to the descriptions of the mouth-watering libraries that Manguel details. My only complaint is that they’re not in colour, and some of the images of a slightly grainy quality.

One could be forgiven for thinking that, based on this review, Manguel is a literary snob. However, despite the vast range of literature he has read, he doesn’t come across at all elitist. Rather, the passion he harbours for books and libraries is evident throughout. I may have developed a slight crush on the man.

Manguel provides a comprehensive list of his favourite books at the end, which is rather enticing to one who loves a good challenge! For now, though, I’ve added three other books by Alberto Manguel to my wish list, and just one or two recommendations from The Library at Night.

A couple of other things I gained from this book: a desire to tour the great (and even not-so-great) libraries of the world, and a stack of lovely bookish quotes, one of which is going to be made into a sign to hang over my library entrance.

The only real thing I disliked about the book was the way in which the endnotes were presented. The usual procedure would be to split the endnotes by chapter and restart the numbering at each new chapter. In The Library at Night, the numbering was continuous and therefore reached 350+ in the text. A little baffling, and somewhat distracting. But not Manguel’s fault, I’m sure.

Beware: this book will result in many new additions to your wishlist!

Rating: 8/10

Edited by Kylie

post-3835-021581900 1296459201_thumb.jpg

Ariel

Sylvia Plath

Summary (from blurb):

Ariel is the second book of Sylvia Plath's poetry to be published, in 1965, two years after her death by suicide. Most of the poems included in it had been selected by her. The poems in Ariel, with their free flowing images and characteristically menacing psychic landscapes, mark a dramatic turn from Plath's earlier, Colossus poems. The distinction often cited by critics between the two books, The Colossus and Ariel, is that there's something much swifter, more abrupt, more sardonic about the latter.

Comments:

It's very difficult to write a review about poetry because it's such an intensely personal genre. For that reason, I hope that my review won't put anyone off trying Plath's poetry for themselves. I expect everyone will have a different experience.

I read a little of Plath's poetry years ago but couldn't get into it. Having recently finished her unabridged journals, I thought I'd try the poetry again and was pleased to find that I enjoyed it far more this time around. It helped that I now know a fair bit about her life.

However, after reading other reviews, I started to feel as though I'd missed all the raw emotion that other readers have experienced. I've never been a big fan of the more abstract form of poetry, which Plaths uses heavily. I prefer poetry that provides a solid piece of imagery (for example, Robert Frost) as opposed to the more random collections of seemingly unrelated words, which only confuses and frustrates me.

That said, there were enough moments of brilliance - lines that really hit home and resonated with me - that made it a very positive reading experience overall. My favourite poem was Daddy, which is even more powerful when you hear it spoken in Plath's sexily deep and powerful voice. I don't know if it was only because of that, but I could feel the emotion a lot more in this particular poem.

Rating: 7/10

Edited by Kylie

First of all, having read the posts regarding your mother's reading........all I can cay is YAYS!! Yippee!! :cool:

My mother and I had the same sort of taste in books, and many the night we sat and read, finished a book, and switched books, then discussed. She's been gone now for over 30 years, and I'd never been able to share reading so thoroughly with anyone till my OH came along. In fact, that's how we met...through books/reading.

So, you have many years to look forward to sharing with her. :friends3:

Secondly, I haven't been that interested in graphic novels, OH has a few, and is more so interested than I have been, but your review has intrigued me. I'm contemplating buying Watchman...I'll certainly take a close look in the store. Good review. Thanks. :smile2:

AIE: just noticed, realized your remark re dystopian novels...what have you read so far?

Thanks Pontalba. That's a lovely story about your Mum. And I'm glad you've found another special person to share that with. friends0.gif

I'm not sure which dystopian remark you're referring to, but I have loads of them on my TBR pile. So far I've been a bit slack and have just been reading the light young adult dystopian series', such as Malorie Blackman's Noughts & Crosses, Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games and Scott Westerfeld's Uglies. I'm frustrated with myself because I have loads of dystopians that I really want to read, and despite it being my favourite genre I always seem to get side-tracked by other books. rolleyes.gif

I've read Fahrenheit 451 and 1984 a couple of times and loved them both. And despite the fact that I should be concentrating on dystopians I haven't read before, I really want to re-read 1984 because I have a couple of sequels (by other authors) that I'd like to read.

Do you have any particular favourites that you would recommend?

Watchmen

Alan Moore

When everyone was reading this for the reading circle, I realised I'd heard the name somewhere before and ta'daa, I found it on the 1001 Books You Must Read -list. Which to me is a bit confusing because it's a graphic novel. Did you know it was on the list? I'm glad you enjoyed it anyways, especially because you, like myself, hadn't really read that much graphic novels before and still liked it. Thanks for the revview! :)

and I'd never been able to share reading so thoroughly with anyone till my OH came along. In fact, that's how we met...through books/reading.

Awww :smile2: How perfect! I'd like to hear the whole story, would you mind sharing? Would Kylie mind if you shared it on this thread?

Kylie, The Library at Night sounds amazing! However, I'm a bit worried that it'll make me think all I read is fluff and therefore I'm stupid. :blush: Manguel sounds intimidatingly intelligent.

On another note, while I was at the library the last time, looking for 84, Charing Cross Road, I found this book about libraries and immediately thought of you. I almost borrowed it but for some reason didn't. Maybe the next time I go there I'll take a look if I can find the book again and write down the title in case you're interested.

The book is a collection of essays concerning different facets of the library; the Library as Shadow…as Shape…as Mind…as Survival…to name but a few.

Such an interesting way to look at libraries! I'm intrigued! (and feeling all the more stupid for never having thought of them like that myself...)

Your review of Ariel made me really want to start reading my Plath books. Maybe I should take the plunge.

When everyone was reading this for the reading circle, I realised I'd heard the name somewhere before and ta'daa, I found it on the 1001 Books You Must Read -list. Which to me is a bit confusing because it's a graphic novel. Did you know it was on the list?

Cool! No, I didn't realise it was on the 1001 list. giggle.gif I just moved it from my wish list to my TBR list (and crossed it off). Thanks for the heads up!

Awww :smile2: How perfect! I'd like to hear the whole story, would you mind sharing? Would Kylie mind if you shared it on this thread?

Kylie, The Library at Night sounds amazing! However, I'm a bit worried that it'll make me think all I read is fluff and therefore I'm stupid. :blush: Manguel sounds intimidatingly intelligent.

I don't mind stories on my thread. :)

Nooo, don't feel like that! I didn't feel bad for all the fluff I read. I'm just in awe of everything Manguel has read.

On another note, while I was at the library the last time, looking for 84, Charing Cross Road, I found this book about libraries and immediately thought of you. I almost borrowed it but for some reason didn't. Maybe the next time I go there I'll take a look if I can find the book again and write down the title in case you're interested.

I hope you can find it again because I'd love to hear what it's called, but don't go looking especially for my sake. You know I have more than enough books to keep me occupied!

Such an interesting way to look at libraries! I'm intrigued! (and feeling all the more stupid for never having thought of them like that myself...)

Your review of Ariel made me really want to start reading my Plath books. Maybe I should take the plunge.

Stupid? No way! It's a unique way of looking at libraries, but really they're just nice chapter headings for the text. If one decides to write an entire book about libraries, I guess you would have to think of every single aspect of them. :)

Yeah, take the plunge! :D

I don't mind stories on my thread. :)

It is pretty perfect actually. :blush:

I've only had a computer for 10 years, and after a few years of owning one I found the old forums on the New York Times...they used to have all sorts, from fashion to books, to politics and television and movies. After a couple of years of that a group of film buffs on there split off and started their own site, I acquired the link and went over there.

They had a small book section as it was and still is primarily film and TV. I recognized some names on there, and we started some book discussions. My OH was a name I recognized from the old NYT, and we jived so well in discussions we started corresponding privately. After about 5 years of that he came down here and visited, and we knew it was right. He went back up North to close up his home and came back. We'll be married this year.

:cool:

Aww, that is perfect Pontalba! Thanks for sharing. friends0.gif Congratulations to you both on your engagement.

I hope I get that lucky one day. smile2.gif

I didn't think it would ever happen Kylie, really and truly. :blush:

Wow Pontalba - 5 years of chat before meeting. I guess you'd get to know someone in that time.

What a lovely story.

Not only chatting, in emails. Discussing books. You get to know someone pretty well when you exchange thoughts and opinions about the way characters/plots go in a story. Plus it is pretty hard to keep up a front over all those years. The true person comes out. It did with us anyhow. Plus I googled and found out about him. I believe in "insurance". :wink:

Great review of The Library at Night Kylie :) I put it on my wishlist recently and now .. because of your review ... it has trampled over all the other books to get to the top of the pile (Moby Dick is particularly annoyed because it's been on my wishlist for over two years and I haven't so much as sorted out which cover I want yet ... "tough luck Melville, Kylie hasn't recommended you!") I can't wait to read it now, it sounds like just the sort of book I like. Like you, I've developed a bit of a thing for books about books and books about writers. The only trouble is, as you say, they add to your TBR's enormously.

Ah Pontalba, what a romantic story :kiss: .. you can't go wrong with a fellow book lover. Hope you'll be very happy.

They had a small book section as it was and still is primarily film and TV. I recognized some names on there, and we started some book discussions. My OH was a name I recognized from the old NYT, and we jived so well in discussions we started corresponding privately. After about 5 years of that he came down here and visited, and we knew it was right. He went back up North to close up his home and came back. We'll be married this year.

:cool:

Aww, that's an awesome story! :D

Plus it is pretty hard to keep up a front over all those years. The true person comes out.

Did you hear (read) that, Raven? The true you will come out eventually!

I agree, Pontalba. :)

Great review of The Library at Night Kylie :) I put it on my wishlist recently and now .. because of your review ... it has trampled over all the other books to get to the top of the pile (Moby Dick is particularly annoyed because it's been on my wishlist for over two years and I haven't so much as sorted out which cover I want yet ... "tough luck Melville, Kylie hasn't recommended you!") I can't wait to read it now, it sounds like just the sort of book I like. Like you, I've developed a bit of a thing for books about books and books about writers. The only trouble is, as you say, they add to your TBR's enormously.

Thanks Poppyshake! I'm glad I could recommend something to you for a change. I had hoped my review would interest you because I think you'll really like the book.

:giggle: I haven't read Moby Dick myself. I don't even own it yet because, like you, I haven't decided which edition I want. And also, well, the book daunts me in so many ways that I'm a little afraid of buying it and then having it mock me from my shelves for the next 10 years.

Cool! No, I didn't realise it was on the 1001 list. giggle.gif I just moved it from my wish list to my TBR list (and crossed it off). Thanks for the heads up!

No worries, you're welcome! Must've been a nice surprise to be able to cross one off the list :D You wouldn't assume a graphic novel would make it to the list so I had to re-check and make sure it's there and yep, there it is :)

Pontalba, what a lovely story! I actually went 'awwww' out loud :smile2: It just shows you never know where you find the one and when. I'm so happy for you two! :friends3:

You wouldn't assume a graphic novel would make it to the list so I had to re-check and make sure it's there and yep, there it is :)

It's surprising what does and doesn't make the list. Shakespeare's plays don't rate a mention but graphic novels do. Weird! And as far as I know, the only young adult book to appear on the list is Pippi Longstocking.

Today I started reading Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer (I'm a bit late; I think everyone else has finished it! rolleyes.gif). Although I'm only a few pages in, I'm loving the style of writing. This made me chuckle: 'I will describe my eyes and then begin the story. My eyes are blue and resplendent. Now I will begin the story.' giggle.gif I think I'm going to like this book.

I'm also reading Anne's House of Dreams by LM Montgomery, which is the fifth in the series and as lovely as the rest of the series.

I seem to be incapable of reading fewer than 3 books at a time these days. I should just really concentrate on the two I'm reading, but I'm itching to pick up another. I think I'll go for a non-fiction book, perhaps on editing or language. :)

By the way, I bought only 1 book in January, which is 14 less than the same time last year. ;)

:blush: Thanks you guys. :D

Sometimes I think one almost has to give up and just quit thinking about meeting someone, and then you're more open and relaxed about the whole thing. Plus, you notice what is right in front of your face.

I used to keep several books going, and still do sometimes, but not as much. With me, it's more I'll begin several, and one will finally "take", and I'll finish it and go back to another one I'd started. Fickle, but true. :D

Edited by pontalba

:blush: Thanks you guys. :D

Sometimes I think one almost has to give up and just quit thinking about meeting someone, and then you're more open and relaxed about the whole thing. Plus, you notice what is right in front of your face.

lol we could see the writing on the wall way before you two did :giggle:

post-3835-015928100 1297136511_thumb.jpg

Bridge to Terabithia

Katherine Paterson

***Possible spoilers***

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

The story starts out simply enough: Jess Aarons wants to be the fastest boy in the fifth grade--he wants it so bad he can taste it. He's been practicing all summer, running in the fields around his farmhouse until he collapses in a sweat. Then a tomboy named Leslie Burke moves into the farmhouse next door and changes his life forever. Not only does Leslie not look or act like any girls Jess knows, but she also turns out to be the fastest runner in the fifth grade. After getting over the shock and humiliation of being beaten by a girl, Jess begins to think Leslie might be okay.

Despite their superficial differences, it's clear that Jess and Leslie are soul mates. The two create a secret kingdom in the woods named Terabithia, where the only way to get into the castle is by swinging out over a gully on an enchanted rope. Here they reign as king and queen, fighting off imaginary giants and the walking dead, sharing stories and dreams, and plotting against the schoolmates who tease them. Jess and Leslie find solace in the sanctuary of Terabithia until a tragedy strikes and the two are separated forever. In a style that is both plain and powerful, Katherine Paterson's characters will stir your heart and put a lump in your throat.

Comments:

Bridge to Terabithia took me completely by surprise. I had always imagined that it was a fantasy book in which the children travelled to another world. I guess they do travel to another world, but only metaphorically speaking, and there isn't even much of that in the book. I suppose I felt a little let down by it, but of course that was my own fault.

The story was pleasurable enough and certainly heart-breaking at the end. I can handle unhappy endings generally,

but it just felt so wrong that a little girl was killed off

post-3835-015928100 1297136511_thumb.jpg

Bridge to Terabithia

Katherine Paterson

***Possible spoilers***

The story starts out simply enough: Jess Aarons wants to be the fastest boy in the fifth grade--he wants it so bad he can taste it. He's been practicing all summer, running in the fields around his farmhouse until he collapses in a sweat. Then a tomboy named Leslie Burke moves into the farmhouse next door and changes his life forever. Not only does Leslie not look or act like any girls Jess knows, but she also turns out to be the fastest runner in the fifth grade. After getting over the shock and humiliation of being beaten by a girl, Jess begins to think Leslie might be okay.

Despite their superficial differences, it's clear that Jess and Leslie are soul mates. The two create a secret kingdom in the woods named Terabithia, where the only way to get into the castle is by swinging out over a gully on an enchanted rope. Here they reign as king and queen, fighting off imaginary giants and the walking dead, sharing stories and dreams, and plotting against the schoolmates who tease them. Jess and Leslie find solace in the sanctuary of Terabithia until a tragedy strikes and the two are separated forever. In a style that is both plain and powerful, Katherine Paterson's characters will stir your heart and put a lump in your throat.

Comments:

Bridge to Terabithia took me completely by surprise. I had always imagined that it was a fantasy book in which the children travelled to another world. I guess they do travel to another world, but only metaphorically speaking, and there isn't even much of that in the book. I suppose I felt a little let down by it, but of course that was my own fault.

The story was pleasurable enough and certainly heart-breaking at the end. I can handle unhappy endings generally,

but it just felt so wrong that a little girl was killed off

Great review Kylie, very well written, you know the drill, another title for my wishlist :)

post-3835-058805900 1297136842_thumb.jpg

Me Talk Pretty One Day

David Sedaris

David Sedaris became a star autobiographer on public radio, onstage in New York, and on bestseller lists, mostly on the strength of SantaLand Diaries, a scathing, hilarious account of his stint as a Christmas elf at Macy's.

Sedaris's caustic gift has not deserted him in his fourth book, which mines poignant comedy from his peculiar childhood in North Carolina, his bizarre career path, and his move with his lover to France. Though his anarchic inclination to digress is his glory, Sedaris does have a theme in these reminiscences: the inability of humans to communicate.

The title is his rendition in transliterated English of how he and his fellow students of French in Paris mangle the Gallic language. In the essay "Jesus Shaves," he and his classmates from many nations try to convey the concept of Easter to a Moroccan Muslim. "It is a party for the little boy of God," says one. "Then he be die one day on two... morsels of... lumber," says another.

Sedaris muses on the disputes between his Protestant mother and his father, a Greek Orthodox guy whose Easter fell on a different day. Other essays explicate his deep kinship with his eccentric mom and absurd alienation from his IBM-exec dad: "To me, the greatest mystery of science continues to be that a man could father six children who shared absolutely none of his interests."

Comments:

This was an enjoyable and light-hearted romp through Sedaris' childhood and adult life. A lot of the stories seemed too good to be true and, sure enough, I found out later that there were many fabrications. However, that didn't bother me at all; I just enjoyed the crazy, mildy humorous stories for what they were.

I have two other Sedaris books on my TBR pile, and I know that I'll be able to count on them for a light read between other books. But otherwise, I doubt I'll be in a rush to seek out his other books.