Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2011

Kylie

Goodness, your 2011 blog is on page five already! Good luck with the cold turkey ... it's all about willpower. Though you will definitely have to keep your eyes shut when you visit this forum ... it's just an encourager of booklust ... and then there's the March World Bookday, how are you going to avoid that?

I must read more of the books on my shelves too .. the library is my main problem. I've always got books on loan so I always have to take them back, so I always have to just take a quick peek, so I always come back with more books ... will try and send hubby back with the returns next time (but then libraries here are being threatened with closure at the moment and so it's important to use them as much as poss .. oh dear! .. I suppose I could just ferry a lot of books that I don't want to read back and forward .. that would be very virtuous.)

Yours and Frankie's lists are phenomenal ... I've read shorter short stories :lol: (I think I'll count them in on my January reading total)

I see one of the books you've read is Sylvia Plath's poetry book 'Ariel' ... what did you make of it? I must get around to reading 'The Bell Jar', it's a book I've been meaning to read for ages. I kind of know it but just snippets.

Loving the pics of your bookshelves .. real close ups and everything .. I can read the spines .. bliss! I usually have to get the magnifying glass out whenever I see a bookcase in a magazine .. loving those Wodehouse's :) I am jealous, my shelves are more scattered than that. Yours look fantastic.

Doh! how was I to know my post would push you onto page six!!

Edited by poppyshake

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kylie 400 books that is incredible. I felt sort of oppressed last year when my TBR pile got over 10. I don't think it was ever more than 20. I read all but 2 of my TBR in the end.

You can imagine how oppressed I feel then! wink.gif

Totally agree with that, we bought 2 more additions to our family of Billy's & they're already groaning under the weight of the books I've bought since we got them :rolleyes:

biggrin.gif I think you know my solution to that problem!

Though you will definitely have to keep your eyes shut when you visit this forum ...

Or, more, specifically, I need to keep my eyes shut when visiting your thread!

and then there's the March World Bookday, how are you going to avoid that?

Avoid it...or celebrate it? Mwahaha! Maybe I'll try to set a new record for the number of books bought in one day (by me). Hmm, I wonder if World Bookday coincides with the Canberra Book Fair (where I buy a large number of books each year).

I must read more of the books on my shelves too .. the library is my main problem. I've always got books on loan so I always have to take them back, so I always have to just take a quick peek, so I always come back with more books ... will try and send hubby back with the returns next time (but then libraries here are being threatened with closure at the moment and so it's important to use them as much as poss .. oh dear! .. I suppose I could just ferry a lot of books that I don't want to read back and forward .. that would be very virtuous.)

Yours and Frankie's lists are phenomenal ... I've read shorter short stories :lol: (I think I'll count them in on my January reading total)

I see one of the books you've read is Sylvia Plath's poetry book 'Ariel' ... what did you make of it? I must get around to reading 'The Bell Jar', it's a book I've been meaning to read for ages. I kind of know it but just snippets.

Loving the pics of your bookshelves .. real close ups and everything .. I can read the spines .. bliss! I usually have to get the magnifying glass out whenever I see a bookcase in a magazine .. loving those Wodehouse's :) I am jealous, my shelves are more scattered than that. Yours look fantastic.

Doh! how was I to know my post would push you onto page six!!

I think you should definitely keep borrowing loads of books from your library so they will stay in business. ;)

A review of Ariel is coming up soon. I've already written it actually, but I can't post it until I finish writing reviews of the two books I read before it. Trust me to do things out of order. rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the compliments on my bookshelves! smile2.gif

Edited by Kylie

and then there's the March World Bookday, how are you going to avoid that?

I know this is some kind of oxymoron, but it's only the UK and Ireland that celebrate 'world' book day in March! This year it's on Thursday 3rd March - but in Australia (and the rest of the world!) it's on 23 April! :giggle2:

There is an Facebook group about the Australian celebrations. :)

Heh, I thought it was only Americans that did that, like playing the world series in (I think) baseball, when only America participates. giggle.gif

I reckon this forum makes me an honorary UK citizen, and seeing as I have both Irish and English ancestry, I think I'll celebrate both days...Do you like the way I got around that? cool.gif

Hmm...I'm going to be in the middle of a 6-day music festival on the 23rd of April. But not to worry; I was planning on taking loads of books with me anyway.

Thanks for the link Janet. I've just joined. :)

I reckon this forum makes me an honorary UK citizen, and seeing as I have both Irish and English ancestry, I think I'll celebrate both days...Do you like the way I got around that? cool.gif

Can I copycat Kylie and be an honorary UK citizen, just for the sake of the World Book Day? And I don't think Kylie or the Aussies would mind my being an honorary Aussie for their Book Day? :blush:

We have a 'book and a rose' day in Finland, I don't remember when, do you guys have the same kind of day?

Edit: Ah, apparently the 'book and rose' day is on 23 April so it's the same as in Australia, wohoo! :smile2:

Edited by frankie

Yay, thanks Kylie :friends3::smile2:

Wikipedia says that a bookseller from Barcelona suggested that on the national day of Catalonia men would give roses to women and women would give books to men (I wish I was a dude). My Finnish wiki says that the rose and the book day is celebrated on the day when Miguel de Cervantes and William Shakespeare died (23 April) but I wikied Catalonia and that date and apparently it's St George's Day that day over there, it's in the honor of Saint George's death in 303 AD. I'm not sure if those two things have anything to do with each other.

Edited by frankie

I ended up going through all my books and choosing 22 that I think I'll get rid of, and another 15 that I've read but can also get rid of.

The 22 unread books are all books that I'd still like to read, but I know that realistically they're at the bottom of the pile and therefore won't be read for a good number of years. So I figure why keep them there when they're only making me feel guilty for not reading them?

The 15 books that I have read include a few that I have bought nicer editions of, a few that I want to buy nicer editions of, and some that I can't see myself reading again.

This was all done in the early hours of this morning, so I wonder if my resolve will still hold now that I've had a good sleep! ;)

Unread books I'm getting rid of:

Debra Adelaide: The Household Guide to Dying (sorry Frankie)

Ray Bradbury: The Golden Apples of the Sun

Ray Bradbury: The Silver Locusts

John Brunner: Traveller in Black

Colette: The Claudine Novels (x3)

Daphne du Maurier: Julius

Daphne du Maurier: My Cousin Rachel

Elizabeth Gaskell: Wives and Daughters (sorry Frankie)

Aldous Huxley: After Many a Summer

Aldous Huxley: Grey Eminence

Aldous Huxley: Point Counter Point

James Joyce: A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

Sue Monk Kidd: The Mermaid Chair

John Le Carre: The Spy Who Came in from the Cold

David Mitchell: Black Swan Green

Maggie O'Farrell: After You'd Gone

Paul Stewart & Chris Riddell: The Lost Barkscrolls

William Makepeace Thackeray: Barry Lyndon

John Wyndham: The Kraken Wakes

John Wyndham: The Seeds of Time

Wrong Thinking Kylie!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Once every 40th Blue Moon I get rid of a book. That's the rule. Remember it. Live by it! :giggle2:

I must confess that when I saw I was nearing 400 books bought, I decided to just go ahead and order enough to make it to 400. :blush: I have no intention of buying that many in one year again and considering I was crazy enough to get to the 380s-390s, I figured I may as well go all the way to 400. :giggle:

Yes, I did indeed buy another (big) Billy. I just bought the one, I think, and I had to take off the door to my library in order to fit it in. :smile2: I also managed to get rid of some books during the year so that helped save a bit of space.

I hope you can convince your boyfriend that you need another Billy. You can never have too many! :lol:

First off, what is a Billy??

Secondly.....believe me, intentions have Nothing to do with it! /sigh/

Great pictures, we definitely could use your organizational skills. :cool:

I looked at your discard list Kylie, Daphne Du Maurier jumped out, I have always felt strange about her, I know she was supposed to be super intelligent and liberated and all that but I heard in her private life was not very nice person.

Not that that's got much to do with anything you were talking about !

I would also like to know what Billy is....does it have wheels?

Yes, I did indeed buy another (big) Billy. I just bought the one, I think, and I had to take off the door to my library in order to fit it in. :smile2: I also managed to get rid of some books during the year so that helped save a bit of space.

I just got another Billy as well, the gray one that kind of sparkles on the edges if you look closely. Now, I only have two of them but I'm expecting many more in the future. The gray one was on sale though so I'm a bit worried that they won't make them anymore. I guess I could mix them with black or white once.

Very impressive book collection Kylie, one can only dream! ;-)

Wrong Thinking Kylie!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Once every 40th Blue Moon I get rid of a book. That's the rule. Remember it. Live by it! :giggle2:

I know I may regret it one day, but I was getting a little stressed by my huge TBR pile so I had to do it!

First off, what is a Billy??

Billy is the name given to one of IKEA's range of bookcases. It's their most well-known bookcase because they basic and very cheap. They're exactly what I want in a bookcase. Bookcases that aren't so fancy that they detract from my books. :) I'm quite the expert at putting them together now, having done so many (a couple for a friend as well).

Great pictures, we definitely could use your organizational skills. :cool:

:) I sense a business opportunity!

Wikipedia says that a bookseller from Barcelona suggested that on the national day of Catalonia men would give roses to women and women would give books to men (I wish I was a dude). My Finnish wiki says that the rose and the book day is celebrated on the day when Miguel de Cervantes and William Shakespeare died (23 April) but I wikied Catalonia and that date and apparently it's St George's Day that day over there, it's in the honor of Saint George's death in 303 AD. I'm not sure if those two things have anything to do with each other.

Cool, thanks! (I wanna be half man, half woman...does that make me greedy?)

I looked at your discard list Kylie, Daphne Du Maurier jumped out, I have always felt strange about her, I know she was supposed to be super intelligent and liberated and all that but I heard in her private life was not very nice person.

Not that that's got much to do with anything you were talking about !

I would also like to know what Billy is....does it have wheels?

That's interesting, Vodkafan; I didn't know that about Du Maurier. Authors always seem to have such interesting backgrounds, which I guess rules me out as ever becoming an author! wink.gif

You have my sympathy, frankie!

No Aussie bashing on my reading thread, you pommy b...! (Hey, Prince Charles said being called that helped build his character...I'm doing you a favour!)

I just got another Billy as well, the gray one that kind of sparkles on the edges if you look closely. Now, I only have two of them but I'm expecting many more in the future. The gray one was on sale though so I'm a bit worried that they won't make them anymore. I guess I could mix them with black or white once.

Very impressive book collection Kylie, one can only dream! ;-)

Thanks Rose!

That sounds like a lovely bookcase. :) It really frustrates me that all the different sizes and extra shelves are not all available in the same colours. I could buy a large black Billy but they don't sell black shelves separately, only black-brown. And they don't have medium-sized Billy's in black, so I can't combine different shapes and sizes.

Luckily my bookcases are mostly white so far, so it hasn't been too much of a problem. But you're right. It is a worry!

Some of you may remember that I recently requested some advice for books to get my parents into reading.

Dad hasn't shown any further interest (too busy to read) but Mum has turned into a bookworm virtually overnight! She has already read 4 books so far this year and I had to give her another pile the other day to keep her going. She is, to my shame, a much more disciplined reader than me. She will turn off the TV and just read, but I get easily distracted by the TV and internet and don't read nearly as much as I could.

Anyway, she has read and enjoyed The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency and is currently reading One for the Money by Janet Evanovich. She polished off Of Mice and Men in one night. She also borrowed a couple of books from co-workers of hers: a Jeffery Deaver and a Lee Child (can't remember exact titles). She really enjoyed them too. So now I've got her started on a few different series and won't be at a loss for books to give her.

And without any prompting or suggesting from me, she has decided to keep a list of all the books she has read. cool.gif

Prior to this, Mum never showed any interest whatsoever in reading. I'm so proud and happy I could burst. biggrin.gif It is so cool talking to her about books and hearing her all excited about them. I bought her a mushy mother/daughter bookmark yesterday and she was thrilled.

I guess my love of reading was in the genes after all! smile.gif

Edited by Kylie

OMG, I'm so happy for you Kylie, and for your Mum as well! I bet nowadays she's just excited to visit your library!!! :smile2: That is so awesome. If she and you don't mind, I'd like to hear about her reading in the future as well :) Could you ask for me which Deaver she read? Did you already take the three large hardback Deavers I bought to the secondhand bookshops, I forget? If they're still hanging around at your place you should give them to her :) I can't believe she's also now keeping a list of all the books she's reading, I'm so proud and happy!!! :smile2:

I think thats great Kylie, I reignited my dad's love of reading this christmas by buying him a kindle and so far he has read 2 and a half books and is downloading them at a rate of knots. He needed to be given a gadget to get back into it but hey whatever works right!!

Which of the Lee Childs book has she read as I am going through all of those at the moment happy to have found a crime writer who has about 16 books for me to catch up on although I am currently on my 10th :wink: .

Here's to happy reading familys :D

Thanks Frankie and Pickle. :)

With a bit of help from Goodreads, I'm reminded that the Lee Child book was called The Killing Floor and the Jeffery Deaver was Praying for Sleep.

I don't have those Jeffery Deavers any more. I think we must have taken them back when you were still here, otherwise I would have sent them to you.

I mentioned today that we could go book shopping together, but I might be moving a little too fast. giggle.gif I think she will be quite content to borrow books from me or to let me buy them for her. :) I will definitely keep you updated on her reading. I gave her The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, which I'm hoping she'll like. I also want to give her The Book Thief and maybe The Shadow of the Wind.

Pickle, Mum mentioned that she was having trouble getting comfortable and holding the book, and I mentioned that maybe an e-reader would be the way to go. Goodness knows I have heaps of ebooks already that she could use. She sounded pretty interested so I might take her shopping so she can play with a few and see what they're like. I've told her that I'll be extremely jealous if she gets an e-reader before me!

Haha, I consider myself a huge fan of Jeffery Deaver and have loads of his books, but your Mum has already read a book by him which I haven't :haha: I'm not surprised though, I've only read two by him so far. I'd recomment the Lincoln Rhyme series, starting with The Bone Collector, and these should be read in order :)

I don't think the Deavers would have fit the cardboard box :giggle: Yep now that I think about it, we must've taken them to the shops when I was there.

Ooooh, book shopping! Don't worry about moving too fast, if she decides she shouldn't be buying books that doesn't mean she will stop reading :) And what if she gets into book buying, which is the other alternative? No harm in that :giggle2:The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is an excellent choice, and so is The Book Thief and The Shadow of the Wind. She'll be in for many a good times :smile2:

Yeah it would be pretty funny if your Mum who's only recently turned into a bookworm should get an e-reader before you, The Wise Australian Mistress of Books :lol:

Edited by frankie

Thanks Rose!

That sounds like a lovely bookcase. :) It really frustrates me that all the different sizes and extra shelves are not all available in the same colours. I could buy a large black Billy but they don't sell black shelves separately, only black-brown. And they don't have medium-sized Billy's in black, so I can't combine different shapes and sizes.

Luckily my bookcases are mostly white so far, so it hasn't been too much of a problem. But you're right. It is a worry!

You are smart to go with the basic colors, they will hopefully never go out of stock. :-) It was the sparkles that got me, otherwise I was looking at the black ones.

Some of you may remember that I recently requested some advice for books to get my parents into reading.

Dad hasn't shown any further interest (too busy to read) but Mum has turned into a bookworm virtually overnight! She has already read 4 books so far this year and I had to give her another pile the other day to keep her going. She is, to my shame, a much more disciplined reader than me. She will turn off the TV and just read, but I get easily distracted by the TV and internet and don't read nearly as much as I could.

Anyway, she has read and enjoyed The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency and is currently reading One for the Money by Janet Evanovich. She polished off Of Mice and Men in one night. She also borrowed a couple of books from co-workers of hers: a Jeffery Deaver and a Lee Child (can't remember exact titles). She really enjoyed them too. So now I've got her started on a few different series and won't be at a loss for books to give her.

And without any prompting or suggesting from me, she has decided to keep a list of all the books she has read. cool.gif

Prior to this, Mum never showed any interest whatsoever in reading. I'm so proud and happy I could burst. biggrin.gif It is so cool talking to her about books and hearing her all excited about them. I bought her a mushy mother/daughter bookmark yesterday and she was thrilled.

I guess my love of reading was in the genes after all! smile.gif

That is so great that she has started to read. My mom read a bit too but she never likes my suggestions. I gave he the time travlers wife for her birthday but she found it to complicated with all the jumps back and forward in time. I haven't read it my self but it sounds great. I may steal it back if she decides to give up on it. :-p

It sounds like the two of you will have a great year of reading!!