Jules Verne

vinay87

Having completed yet another of his books, I have become mesmerised with his style of telling a story. I can see why Arthur C. Clarke said "The reason Verne is still read by millions today is simply because he was one of the greatest storytellers who ever lived."

I had an illustrated comic adaptation of A Journey To The Centre of the Earth so naturally, after having read it nearly two dozen times in my childhood, I leapt at the chance to buy the novel when I came across it by accident. Needless to say, it was just as amazing as ever.

Later I read Around the World in 80 Days in a sitting, proving to myself that no matter what Jules Verne wrote, I will not be able to put it down. I had no idea of the truth behind that until a few days ago when I found The Mysterious Island.

Usually people just hear about A Journey to the Centre of the Earth or Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea or Around the world in 80 days when they think about Jules Verne but I think The Mysterious Island is the greatest story of his that I have read so far. My review of it in my TBR thread should only extoll the book further.

So who else loves this storyteller hereabouts?

I'm looking for a good version of In Search of the Castaways, which seems to be out of print. Has anyone read that and 20,000 Leagues?

I have to settle for translated too, I'm afraid. I "studied" French for two years in school which doesn't count for much. I hope I'll have the time to learn the language some day. But before that I should probably learn a few more languages from my own country for once :D

*hangs head in shame* I have never picked up the originals, only the translations. Some of the translations are fine, though the tone of others are less so. There's a set of his novels in a slipcase (in the original French) which has been re-released a few times now, and it is probably time that I bought it...

Ahh see, I always check. I see a book I'd might like, I check the language it's originally written in, if it's english, I'll read it as such. If it's other, I have to read translated (German I might be able to pull off, but would rather not).. and then I'll postpone or even think do I realllly want to read it. ;)

I just love Jules Verne and my very favourite of his is Michael Strogoff. I managed to find an oldish copy of the book but it is one I'll treasure and read again. Marvellous adventure and a real page turner.

• 2 months later...

I just love Jules Verne and my very favourite of his is Michael Strogoff. I managed to find an oldish copy of the book but it is one I'll treasure and read again. Marvellous adventure and a real page turner.

I haven't heard about that one, is there a good English translation about?

I haven't heard about that one, is there a good English translation about?

Hi Vinay

Yes, there are some good ones available on Amazon. Also, if you have a kindle, you can download it for free (my favourite price) :D

• 8 months later...

I have to admit that I also read the translation of 'Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea' however I really enjoyed it. It's exciting and I loved the complexities of Captain Nemo.

I do prefer 'Around the World In Eighty Days' though.

Edited by karen.d

• 2 months later...

Jules verne is my favorite writter this year or ever.Ive read all his books that I could get my hands on.like:A journey to the center of the earth,around the world in 80 day,20,000 leagues under the sea and my current one that I am reading by him is the adventures of hatteras

• 1 month later...

I guess I'm in the minority over here - I just completed my first Verne - Journey to the Centre of the Earth - and it wasn't very enjoyable for me.

I found myself reading it in a very detached manner - couldn't get into the story or connect with the characters (though the nephew was a dear)

I guess my head's not wired for adventures like this!

Maybe I should give another book of his a shot sometime - but not any time soon I think.

I've also only read Around The World In 80 Days which I loved, but I wonder if it's because I love the David Niven film version so much, that I was reading it associating the various scenes with the film. He's an author on my radar for the future to look up some more of his books, but it will be a while before I read any more, I suspect.

I have read a couple of his books (in the German translation, so I'm not always sure about the English titles) and I enjoyed them.

I also love the thought that in his times, everything he wrote has been SiFi, and now most of it is pretty much outdated.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone I know this a slightly old topic but I need the community's help with some Jules Verne novels. I've read the major classics:

Journey To The Centre Of The Earth

Around the World In Eighty Days

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea

The Mysterious Island

From The Earth To The Moon & Round The Moon

Ill soon be starting Captain Hatteras and would like to try and get a few more of his books. Sadly I can only read english so this limits my choices, and I've read a lot of reviews of lesser known publications being very poorly translated. So I was wondering if anyone can recommend another of his books which has got a good translation quality from a publisher!

Thanks in advance everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

I discovered Jules Verne when I was in "collège" (from 11 to 14/15), we studied The Carpathian Castle, and I really liked it! The ghost stories, Jules Verne's style... Now I try to read one of his books from time to time, and I'm still fascinated by his style and imagination. He is a good story-teller, as soon as I open one of his novels, I know I won't be able to stop reading.