Anita Blake

Toneeh

Laurell.K. Hamilton books.  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the Anita Blake Series?

• Brilliant and Creative
    • Too many Sex Scenes
    • Dull and Over done
    • They're Okay
    • I've been thinking of reading...
    • I'd read again
    • I'd never read them again.

I read up to about 10 and got fed up with the lack of story, the sex element didn't shock, offend or even suprise me its big in all the books but it seemed to become less about the development of the characters and more about who Anita was sleeping with and how many. But I know there are a number of people on here who have continued to read beyond this number and really enjopyed them, I might go back one day and read more but its not a high priority for me.

I'm like you, pickle, I did enjoy them, but I got up to Incubus Dreams and have decided to take a break from them. I like them a lot, but the last couple I've read have been too long, and I think the series needs an injection of plot! The last couple have been a bit to "samey" for want of a better word! I might pick them up again next year after having a break, but they're not top of my list.

I've read the first 17 of the series and I must confess, I do enjoy them. I do agree though that they can be a bit samey and sometimes you can practically predict what is going to happen, but at least I know when I start one, I'm gonna enjoy it and it will keep my mojo entertained. :D

• 1 month later...

I thought this was an interesting concept. My wife initially tried to get me into them by describing them to me, but had to convince me just to take a chance on the first book because of the werewolf thing. Hamilton does the world rather well in my opinion and although I think there are definitely some fantasy concepts being lived through Anita's personal life, the story overall seems decent enough for me to have continued with the series. At this point I am simply trying to figure out one thing: When is this going to end?

To get all the books thus far of the series would definitely drain a bank account, but that for me is the only negative aspect of them.

I can't believe I haven't posted in here before. I own all of the books until after Skin Trade. I used to LOVE them. I always realized they weren't great books, I mean they can be poorly written, using the same phrasings over and over, and quite a bit of errors in continuity and what not. I didn't care much for Anita either. But the guys, the guys. I love them. JC, Asher, Jason and Nate are my favs. BUT.. they're becoming worse.. less about the necromancy and more about Anita sleeping with as many men as possible (hey, I don't mind, really, am enjoying the sex scenes, but sometimes they feel cut short and there's so little time spent on each guy), without particularly enjoying it. She constantly feels guilty, and always needs to have sex to get out of some metaphysical emergency. Also, I don't like the tigers much, or Marmee Noir. This for those who've read em. Hehe.

But yeah, I just found myself more and more annoyed with the books as they continued, and when Flirt came out and would have costed me 18 euros for some crappy paperback, I decided t call it quits for a while, and haven't bothered since. And then I discovered the world of real books, good books, mindblowing books. Get my drift? Not saying I'll never read another AB book, but for now, nah. Still, I miss the guys. ;)

Edited by Univerze

YES. Edward you gotta love. Though except for when he got together with, what was it, Donna or something? It's been a while, like two years since I read anything. So tempting to pick up the books again, but I got plenty more to read.. ;) Ahhh.

One thing I did love about these books was the progression towards kinky sex. Biting (duh vampires), spanking, etc etc. I loved how Anita became more comfy with herself about that, and moresomes. Good thing. ;)

But still, sex purely out of need and not because you plain and simply want to, and the way she treated my fav guys, well that I didn't care much for.

Positive thing, this is one of the few series of books where the characters felt like real persons to me. like they had a life outside of the books that we were missing. Very worthy of obsession. ;)