Madcow's Book List 2007

madcow

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What can I say but WOW and I'm only half way through An Open Vein! I'm lovin' it :)

Just updated my 'To Read' list as Kat kindly bought me Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier, I've always wanted to read this and now I can.

(Thanks babes :friends0: )

I sure am KW it's a real page turner. It's got to the point where I am only picking it up to read if I know I will be uniterupted for at least half an hour. I can't just read it for a few minutes I need to be able to keep turning the pages lol.

Finished An Open Vein tonight, great book, real page turner. KW has a flare for this style of writing and as Michelle put it..."It left me wanting more". Would recommend this to anyone, a well deserved 9/10.

(Kat I'll drop this off on Sunday when I come through, I know your dying to read it)

Next one to read is Marley & Me by John Grogan

John and Jenny, just beginning their life together, were young and deeply in love, with a perfect little house and not a care in the world. Then they brought home Marley, a wiggly yellow furball of a puppy.

Life would never be the same.....

Ps I have the tissues at the ready Kat!

Been an ickle bit naughty today and went to the library, my excuse was I had to take my daughter's books back and whilst I was there a couple (well 3) books leapt out and landed in my arms crying out to be taken home and read plus one that I have ordered :friends0: . So i've updated my list accordingly :) . Well it is nearly the end of the month!

Been an ickle bit naughty today and went to the library... a couple (well 3) books leapt out and landed in my arms crying out to be taken home and read plus one that I have ordered :blush:

Oh don't you just hate it when books do that?! :lol: I have the same problem in bookshops - they practically pummel me to death.

Well I finally finished Marley & Me last night and I cried buckets! I've not cried like that over a book in a long long while. This was a great book I have laughed out loud at the antics of Marley, the things he got up to and did mirror my own Lab Jasper and Collie/Lab cross Jake. You could feel for John and his family, all the emotions etc and the difficult choices that have to be made when you have a dog or any pet for that matter. A great book but be prepared to cry!

Next on the list....

The Rosary Girls by Richard Montanari.

In the most brutal killing crusade Philadelphia has seen in years, a series of young Catholic women are found dead, their bodies mutilated and their hands bolted together. Each clutches a rosary in her lifeless grasp.

Veteran cop Kevin Byrne and his rookie partner Jessica Balzano set out to hunt down the elusive killer, who leads them deeper and deeper into the abyss of a madman's depravity. Suspects appear before them like bad dreams - and vanish just as quickly. While the body count rises, Easter is fast approaching: the day of resurrection and of the last rosary to be counted...

I've just finished The Rosary Girls and loved it. Bit of a slow start but then I was hooked, every time I thought I knew who the 'doer' was things twisted and I had to re think. Yet another new author to keep track of!

Next to read:

Mercy by Jodi Picoult

Cameron MacDonald has spent his life guided by duty. As the police chief of a small Massachusetts town that has been home to generations of his Scottish clan, he is bound to the town's residents by blood and honour. Yet when his cousin Jamie arrives at the police station with the body of his wife and the bald confession that he's the killed her, Cam immediately places him under arrest.

The situation isn't as clear to Cam's wife, Allie. While she is devoted to her husband, she finds herself siding against Cam, seduced by the picture Jamie paints of a man so in love with a woman that he'd do anything for her...even if that meant taking her life.

Into this heated atmosphere drifts Mia, a new assistant at Allie's floral shop. When an inexplicable attraction leads to a shocking betrayal, Allie faces the hardest questions of the heart: when does love cross the line of moral obligation? And what does it mean to truly love another?

Finished Mercy last night. Another great read from Jodi Picoult.

Next to read:

The Ship of Brides by Jojo Moyes

The year is 1946, and all over the world young women are crossing the seas in their thousands en route to the men they married in wartime, and an unknown future. In Sydney, Australia, four women join 650 other brides on an extraordinary voyage to England - aboard the Victoria, which still carries not just arms and aircraft but a thousand naval officers and men.

Rules of honour, duty, and separation are strictly enforced, from the aircraft carrier's captain down to the lowliest young stoker. But the men and the brides will find their lives intertwined in ways the Navy could never have imagined.

And Frances Mackenzie - the enigmatic young bride whose past comes back to haunt her thousands of miles from home - will find that sometimes the journey is more important than the destination...