Madcow's Book List 2007

madcow

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Faithless this morning (before I went to work!). Another great read. I feel like I am getting to know the main characters in Grant County and look forward to the next installment.

Next on my list...

A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnelly

Based on a real murder at the turn of the century, this outstanding debut novel is a powerful and moving coming-of-age book. Mattie is torn between her familial resposibilities, her desire to be a writer, and the excitment of a first romance. Her dilemmas and choices are quietly reflected in the life of a young woamn found drowned in a lake, a woman that Mattie only gets to know through reading her letters...

Finished A Gathering Light last night. What a lovely book, I really enjoyed it, it made me think I am glad to be around now and not then (all the hardships they endured (I love my creature comforts!)). A very easy read and one i would recommend.

Next on the list....

Death Du Jour by Kathy Reichs.

March in Montreal: it is a bitterly cold night and in the eerie silence of an old church forensic anthropologist Dr Temperance Brennan digs carefully. She is there to exhume the remains of Sister Elisabeth Nicolet, a nun who died in 1888 and is now proposed for possible sainthood. But the body has been moved to an unmarked grave in a far corner of the cemetery. Why have the nun's remains been disturbed? And what will Tempe discover when the frozen ground finally yields to her tools and she lifts the rotting coffin lid?...

Finished Death Du Jour yesterday. This was my first venture into a Kathy Reichs book and i thoroughly enjoyed it. Not as engrossing as Karin Slaughter or Martina Cole but still worthy of 8/10.

Next book...

Bare Bones - Kathy Reichs

It's a summer of record-breaking heat in Charlotte and Dr Temperance Brennan is looking forward to her first vacation in years. She's almost out the door when the bones start appearing. First there's the little skeleton of a newborn found in a wood stove. Who put her there? The mother, hardly more than a child herself, has disappeared....

I made a decision today not to get any library books out for the month of March (which will be very difficult to stick to, but i'll try). The reason for this is to try and get my 'to be read' mountain down in size a bit and also because there are quite a few books on there that i really want to read soon.

Now that's a brave decision! I wish I could be so principled about it! Everytime I return my books I think the same, but end up taking out 4-5 books. Now I've 2 more books to arrive soon, so the pile is just getting bigger!! I'm beginning to think I need help :)

I know i said i wouldn't but when i take the latest lot back one or two might just jump into my arms on the way out...lol (I need help too, I can't help myself, no will power :) )

Finished Bare Bones tonight, another good read. I enjoyed this one slightly more than Death Du Jour. 8/10.

Next on the list....

Out by Natsuo Kirino

In the Tokyo suberbs four women work the draining graveyard shift at a boxed-lunch factory. Burdened with chores and heavy debts and isolated from husbands and children, they all secretly dream of a way out of their dead-end lives.

A young mother among them finally cracks and strangles her philandering, gambling husband then confesses her crime to Masako, the closet of her colleagues. For reasons of her own, Masako agrees to assist her friend and seeks the help of the other co-workers to dismember and dispose of the body. The body parts are discovered, the police start asking questions, but the women have far more dangerous enemies - a yakuza-connected loan shark who discovers their secret, and a ruthless nightclub owner the police are convinced is guilty of the murder. He has lost everything as a result of their crime and he is out for revenge....

I made a decision today not to get any library books out for the month of March (which will be very difficult to stick to, but i'll try). The reason for this is to try and get my 'to be read' mountain down in size a bit and also because there are quite a few books on there that i really want to read soon.

Think I should adopt this idea - came back from work empty handed today - but temptation passed through my hands on more than one occasion (occupational hazard!)

Well I did it (kind of). I went to the library and only came away with Out because i haven't finished reading it. I resisted temptation even whilst waiting for my daughter to pick her books! :roll:

Which means when I have finished Out I can read a few of the books on the 'To Read' mountain. :blush:

Just updated my mount 'To Be Read' list with the new books I got today.

Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina (I remember watching this as a kid and loving it)

Jane Harris' The Observations (3 for 2 offer and needed a third book!)

Sophie Hannah's Little Face (wanted to read this for ages)

Lee Server's biography of Robert Mitchum Baby I Don't Care (the front cover took my eye!)

and the best one....

A signed copy of KW's book An Open Vein :blush: (Belated birthday pressie from Kat).

It is :roll:

And a massive thank you to KW for helping me out with the book. You're a star and I'm sure mum thinks so too.

I think both you and KW are stars, you made my day :blush:

Finally managed to finish Out last night, it wasn't because i didn't like it (i did), but finding enough time to sit and read lately is very difficult. So last night i sat in another room and indullged myself with 3 hours of uninterupted reading (bliss!). I enjoyed Out and as it was over 500 pages it will be going on my 'Chunky Challenge' list. I look forward to reading another of her novels 'Grotesque' as and when I get a copy.

Next read is Monday Mourning by Kathy Reichs, this is the last of my library books (it's been on reserve for a few weeks).

Finished Monday Mourning last night, although this one wasn't quite as good as the other 2 of hers I've read I still enjoyed it.

Next on the list....

An Open Vein by J M Warwick

I haven't eaten since yesterday. He had scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast. The smell seeps at me from beneath the locked door. The gnawing in my stomach never goes away but it's not from lack of food. Up until yesterday. I've been able to eat. Until yesterday. I was able to do almost anything I wanted within the two thousand square feet of this place. Things are different now....