Madcow's Book List 2007

madcow

You've lost me Gyre!!!!!

I know, sorry, I mean I keep misplacing my copy of 'Angels' so I am never getting the chance to actually read it.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philipa Gregory - She's a very inconsistant author, though the Other Boleyn Girl, atleast i've heard, is wonderful. One book I should anti-reccomend is Virgin Earth by her.

Jemima J by Jane Green - I enjoyed it! it was a classic chiclit though. :D

Snowflower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See - Reading that right now! and enjoying it! However, it is very detailed, and well written, the downfall is that the story material is rather depressing, and since you are so drawn in, it made me a little sad too :D

Wicked Pleasures by Penny Vincenzi - I've only heard fabulous things about her "No Angel" Series, which I want to get ahold of as fast as I can.

List updated after a trip to the library (L). Also going to try an audio book for the first time just need to find my personal cd player and batteries now ;) . They didn't have a great selection but Karin Slaughter's Kisscut was only 50p for 3 weeks.

Finished Torey Hayden's Ghost Girl today, this was the first of her books I have read and I have to say I enjoyed it. I'll look forward to reading some more of her books as and when I get the opportunity.

Now starting The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan.

LuLing Young is getting old and - while she still can - she begins to write down her memories of life as a girl in 1930's China. One day while tending to her ailing mother, LuLing's daughter Ruth uncovers this extraordinary memoir of a childhood spent in the remote mountain village known as Immortal Heart. In this ancient world, steeped in magic and superstition, lie the deep secrets of LuLing's heart and the tragic events that changed the path of her life.....

Also listening to Kisscut by Karin Slaughter (my first venture into audio books!).

Saturday night dates at the skating rink have been a tradition in the small southern town of Heartsdale for as long as anyone can remember. But when a teenage quarrel explodes into a deadly shoot-out Sara Linton - the town's paediatrician and medical examiner - finds herself entangled in a horrific tragedy.....

• 2 weeks later...

Finished The Bonesetter's Daughter tonight. What a lovely book, a facinating insight into another culture and way of life. One to recommend. 7/10

Still listening to Kisscut, halfway through it. My only problem with audio books is that there has to be nothing else going on whilst i am listening to it or i get distracted.

Next one I am starting is The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory...

In the autumn of 1558, church bells across England ring out the news - Elizabeth is Queen. One woman hears them with dread; Amy Dudley, wife of Sir Robert, knows that with Elizabeth on the throne he will return to the glamorous Tudor court. Amy's hopes that the ambitions of the Dudley family had died when Robert's father was beheaded are ended. The triumphant peal of bells summon her husband once more to power - and to a passionate young queen.

Nipped to the library today to collect Geisha of Gion which I had ordered and whilst i was there i picked up a couple of Karin Slaughter books too. I am currently listening to her Kisscut book and really enjoying it so i thought i'd give a couple more of her books a try. I've gone back to hand held books because i find it difficult to concentrate listening to the audio one unless i am on my own with no distractions!

Nearly half way through The Virgin's Lover. This is my first Philippa Gregory book and in a word it's great, i've always loved historical fiction so this is right up my street.
Well, if you're enjoying that one, try The Other Boleyn Girl too - it's the one I've enjoyed most by Philippa Gregory to date.:friends0:

Well, if you're enjoying that one, try The Other Boleyn Girl too - it's the one I've enjoyed most by Philippa Gregory to date.:friends0:

Already got it lined up on my 'To Be Read' mountain, looking forward to it.

The only one I haven't enjoyed so much was The Wise Woman, it's good but not as great as the others.
I agree - I found The Wise Woman rather dull and just didn't like the lead character at all, so I felt no sympathy for her, but all the others i've read have been really great.

Finished listening to Kisscut last night. This is the first Karin Slaughter book i have read/listened to and i really enjoyed it, so much so that i have a couple more of hers from the library to read. As i listened to Kisscut i could visualise the characters and the scenes and also felt like i got to know the main characters too. I have given this an 8/10 and can't wait to read more of her work.

Took Kisscut back to the library tonight and picked up Kathy Reichs' Death Du Jour and Jennifer Donnellys' A gathering Light whilst i was waiting for the librarian so they've been added to the list! Got some serious reading to do in the next couple of weeks :friends0:

Finished The Virgin's Lover tonight. Loved it. This was my first Philippa Gregory book and it won't be my last. I really enjoyed her style of writing and i could picture myself there whilst reading it. 8/10.

Next on the list to read is Geisha of Gion by Mineko Iwasaki.

I can identify the exact moment when things began to change. It was a cold winter afternoon. I had just turned three.

Finished Geisha of Gion this afternoon, although I did enjoy it I wasn't as captivated by it as I was Memoirs of a Geisha.

Next to read is A Faint Cold Fear by Karin Slaughter.

Sara Linton, medical examiner in the small town of Heartsdale, is called out to an apparent suicide on the local college campus. The mutlilated body provides little in the way of clues - and the college authorities are keen to avoid a scandal - but for Sara and police chief Jeffrey Tolliver, things don't add up.

Two more suspicious suicides follow, and a young woman is brutally attacked. For Sara, the violence strikes far too close to home. And as Jeffrey pursues the sadistic killer, he discovers that ex-police detective Lena Adams, now a security guard on campus, may be in possession of crucial information. But, bruised and angered by her expulsion from the force, Lena seems to be barely capable of protecting herself, let alone saving the next victim...

Just finished A Faint Cold Fear, loved it. It kept me hooked to the end, so much so I am going to read another one of hers now.

Faithless - A Walk in the woods takes a sinister turn for police chief Jeffrey Tolliver and medical examiner Sara Linton when they stumble across the body of a young girl. Incarcerated in the ground, all the initial evidence indicates that she has, quite literally, been scared to death. But as Sara embarks on the autopsy, something even more horrifying comes to light. Something which shocks even her. Detective Lena Adams, talented but increasingly troubled, is called in from vacation to help with the investigation - and the trail soon leads to the neighbouring county, an isolated community, and a terrible secret.....

Don't you have work to do??? :lol:

Nah...thats what having kids at home is for...lol.

I decided to have a couple of days off and I have been very busy doing...nothing! except reading.

Back to work tomorrow :lol: