Jenny Tomlin & Kim Challinor - Silent Sisters - 6.5/10

Kathryn Fox - Malicious Intent - 7/10

Kerry Hardie - The Bird Woman 6/10

Koren Zailckas - Smashed 6/10

Vicky Halls - Cat Confidential 7.5/10

Kathryn Fox - Without Consent 8/10

Jeremy Clarkson - And Another Thing 7/10

Mia Dolan - The Gift 7/10

I have removed my 'To Be Read' list as it was getting too big, library books keep me from reducing it. What can I say I'm addicted to going to the library, I just can't walk out empty handed...lol

Instead I am just going to list the books read to date (it looks a lot less scary now!):roll:

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting Empress Orchid by Anchee Min

To rescue her family from poverty and avoid marrying her slope-shouldered cousin, 17 year old Orchid competes to be one of the Emperor's wives. When she is chosen as a lower ranking concubine she enters the erotically charged and ritualised Forbidden City. But beneath its emmaculate facade lie whispers of murders and ghosts, and the thousands of concubines will stoop to any lengths to bear the Emperor's son. Orchid trains herself in the art of pleasuring a man, bribes her way into the royal bed, and seduces the monarch, drawing the attention of dangerous foes. Little does she know that China will collapse around her, and that she will be its last Empress.

Having compared our respective lists, Madcow, I see we only have one book in common. That being Women in Love. I'm sure we can swap notes on that when the time comes though.

However, I've already determined that I won't be able to read my copy on a bus, coach or train trip (as I'd like to do) because of the artwork. There are (ahem) breasts on the front cover and I don't relish the thought of funny looks from my fellow commuters.

I know, it sounds like I'm overreacting, but they're a pretty prudish bunch around here

However, I've already determined that I won't be able to read my copy on a bus, coach or train trip (as I'd like to do) because of the artwork. There are (ahem) breasts on the front cover and I don't relish the thought of funny looks from my fellow commuters.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Jules, but I though Dupin might like to download some "Literary Guilty Pleasures" covers from http://www.costabookawards.com/reading/literary_guilty_pleasures.aspx.

Okay, I'm trying not to be peeved here, madcow...but I don't see ANY books by moi on your list...no, not one!

:D

KW this list is of books that I have here waiting to be read. Your books, apart from DWHH are on my 'To Read As Soon As' list. And as Michelle said I have entered the comp to win a signed copy of one of yours :D .

Having compared our respective lists, Madcow, I see we only have one book in common. That being Women in Love. I'm sure we can swap notes on that when the time comes though.

I know, it sounds like I'm overreacting, but they're a pretty prudish bunch around here

(Of course, we all know that it was the artwork that convinced me to buy the book in the first place!)

Yes, I too have been putting off reading Women in Love for a while now. In truth, I didn't care much for The Rainbow, which is a prequel of sorts, and so I guess my reluctance stems from there. However, it's persistent presence on lists of greatest novels makes it impossible to ignore so I've resolved to do the deed before much longer.

I saw Ken Russell, who made the 1969 film version, being interviewed the other night (with regard to his bizarre appearance in the Celebrity Big Brother house) and he alluded to how sexuality

I bought you that book mum!! It must have been at least 10 years ago, glad you decided to read it finally :D

Oops is it that long ago :D , will definately have to read it this year then :D .

Dupin said:

(Of course, we all know that it was the artwork that convinced me to buy the book in the first place!)

well you said it :D

Finished Empress Orchid today. It was okay, it didn't grab me like Memoirs of a geisha did. Glad i've read it, there was some interesting parts to the book especially how the concubines lived and were treated, on the whole I'd give it 6/10.

Starting Ghost Girl by Torey Hayden.

Jadie never spoke, never laughed, never cried. She spent every waking hour locked in her own private world od shadows....

Funny story:lol:

I have been trying to 'Angels' for about six months, I got a copy for a pound, and I swear that book does not want me to read it, I keep misplacing it!

:D