What Books To Give Him? Help?

My dad recently become ill, and now the bad weather has come, he doesn't go out as much. He's been getting bored now, and phones me a lot more. He bought me some awesome books, which I read in 3 days and he was amazed that I could love books so much. I told him that sometimes, when a book is good enough, it can feel as if your really there.

Now, he's bored and I said I'd find him some books to read.

He doesn't know what genre he'd like, as he's never really been into reading, although now he'd like a hobby. I've decided to buy him a few, and keep buying until he finds a genre he's into and then I'll get him some of them. Although I don't know how to start.

Up to now, I have got him some Dan Brown Books, as even though I don't like the genre, I love his books.

I also got him The Book Of Fate by Brad Meltzer.

I want to give him Bitten by Kelley Armstrong to give him a dark Fantasy book.

Now I just need a horrow, crime and whatever else I can think off.

Well, basically(Finally got here) I just need a few books that you recommend to a 50ish year old man, who likes history and was in the army. Anything would be good, I just need some good started books for him. thanks for anything you can help me with! :D Sorry for the load of writing.

Julian Rathbone is a good writer, and has many books available. I have read three of his historical novels; 'The Last English King', 'A Very English Agent' and 'Kings Of Albion'.

Bill Bryson is always a popular read, and I can recommend Mark Wallington's '500 Mile Walkies' and 'Boogie Up The River'. These two are humourous travelogue.

Peter Robinson's Inspector Banks series of books are brilliant, and for horror I think most would give Stephen King a go.

Good luck finding some authors and titles he'll like. :)

If he likes history (my dad did too although he didn't like reading but loved the miniseries of the books I mean), and likes the napoleonic area too, how about the Hornblower books? Haven't read them but even I loved the series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horatio_Hornblower

Oh and for horror I think you might want to try some early Stephen King books? Or maybe a book with stories by him, can imagine SK's books can get a little tough to chew when you're not used to reading (the long descriptions etc) but maybe the Shining or something? He'll probably know the film too so there's something to go on.

And maybe other historical novels?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historical_novels

I know how much of a quest it can be to find something your dad would like, when my dad got ill and couldn't do anythign outside anymore (that and being a handyman around the house were his fav things to do, he was always very active), we went crazy trying to find him films and series to watch. He wasn't much of a reader unfortutanely, and unwilling to try too, not being able to focus much. Good luck with the search!

Edited by Univerze

I just need a few books that you recommend to a 50ish year old man, who likes history and was in the army.....Keep the books coming if you can :D you're all really helpful. :)

Speaking as a fifty-ish man who is really into history.... There are absolutely loads of good books around at present - does he have a favourite period? Following on from Univerze's Hornblower suggestion - Patrick O'Brian? Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series? Allan Mallinson's Matthew Hervey series?

Non-military, but great historical crime stories - CJ Sansome's Shardlake series (or even Sherlock Holmes?)

Alternatively what about some non-fiction? Military history good reads include Antony Beevor's books Stalingrad, D-Day and Berlin, or Peter Snow's To War with Wellington (but lots of others depending on time periods etc and depth your father may be interested in)

Non-military non-fiction that makes for really exciting reading (the sort of stuff you touch on - really thinking you are there) include Sebastian Junger's the Perfect Storm, Gay and Laney Salisbury - The Cruellest Miles and Peter Nichols - A Voyage for Madmen

Any more precise ideas of interests? In the meantime, hope that helps.

Edited by willoyd

You could try the Forgotten Legion Chronicles series by Ben Kane. I read the first one, and thought it was pretty good, not my usual sort of book, but I know Michelle read it as well and enjoyed it. It's set in Roman times so covers the history and military angle. You can see Michelle's reviews of the first two books in this thread.