AbielleRose's Reading List 2011

AbielleRose

Time to start planning for another year of literary wonder! I don't have much to start off with at the moment, but just wanted to create a new thread for 2011 so that once I'm finished compiling my TBR pile and my goals for the next year I can just come here and start setting things up :) One thing is for sure, I have a MASSIVE TBR pile! Since I've started work at the bookstore it seems like I bring home at least 2-3 more books a week. One of my co-workers told me 'You know you can come to work every day and visit them, right?' It's just not the same. Its like going to a pet rescue center and seeing all those orphans needing a new home and some one on one TLC. (Good thing I don't work in a pet rescue center!)

Below I'll be posting my TBR pile and my wishlist once they're finished. :)

Edited by CaliLily

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2011 Mount TBR (aka, books I own and haven't read yet, have started and never finished or need to re-read ).

KEY

BLACK - not currently reading/haven't read

RED- currently reading

GREEN- re-read

PURPLE- finished

Audio/ eBooks:

Evermore by Alyson Noel

Blue Moon by Alyson Noel

Shadowland by Alyson Noel

Dark Flame by Alyson Noel

Night Star by Alyson Noel

A Secret Kept by Tatiana de Rosnay

Classics:

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Utopia by Sir Thomas More

Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll

Grimms Fairy Tales

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Crucible by Arthur Miller

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Emma by Jane Austen

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Poetry and Essay Collections:

The Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe

Sparknotes Poetry Classics

The Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson

Japanese Death Poems

Selected Poems of William Blake

Essays and Poems of Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fiction:

Never Let Me Go- Kazu Ishiguro

Lulu in Marrakech by Diane Johnson

Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler

All He Ever Wanted by Anita Shreve

The Secret Papers of Madame Olivetti by Annie Vanderbilt

Black Fly Season by Giles Blunt

Thursday Next by Jasper Fforde

The Threadbare Heart by Jennie Nash

Bright Star by John Keates

Undiscovered Country by Lyn Enger

The Complete works of H.P. Lovecraft

The Raphael Affair by Iain Pears

Left Neglected by Lisa Genova

Beautiful Maria of My Soul by Oscar Hijuelos

Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Blood, Bones and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton

The Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern

The Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber

The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor, Vampire Slayer by Lucy Weston

Promise Not To Tell by Jennifer McMahon

Grave Goods by Ariana Franklin

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong

The Next Queen of Heaven by Gregory Maguire

Traveling with Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Songs of Love and Death by various authors

The Mermaid's Mirror by L. K. Madigan

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

More Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin

The Alchemist by Paul Coelho

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

O, Juliet by Robin Maxwell

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

A Man of No Moon by Jenny McPhee

The Man Who Ate the 747 by Ben Sherwood

Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle

The Glamour Chase (Doctor Who) by Gary Russell

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran

The Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir

Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

Push by Sapphire

The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood

Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand

Learning to Die in Miama by Carlos Eire

The Secrets of Mary Magdalene by Dan Burstein

Autonomy (Doctor Who) by Daniel Blythe

Sun Stroked by Cathryn Fox

Nightlight by The Harvard Lampoon

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken

Stories I wouldn't Tell Nobody but God by Rasheed Clark

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

The Trinity Six by Charles Cumming

Elixir by Hilary Duff

Sima's Undergarments for Women by Ilana Stranger Ross

Velva Jean Learns to Drive by Jennifer Niven

By Appointment Only by Janice Maynard

Voices from the Other Side by various authors

The Oracle of Stamboul by Michael David Lukas

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

Warlord by Ted Bell

The Devotion of Suspex X by Keigo Higashino

Heavenly by Jennifer Laurens

Thanks for the Memories by Cecelia Ahern

Buffy the Vampire Slayer 1

Irish Born Trilogy by Nora Roberts

Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich

Salvation in Death by J.D. Robb

Promises in Death by J.D. Robb

Strangers in Death by J.D. Robb

Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovich

Goodnight Tweetheart by Teresa Medeiros

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Non Fiction:

I Had Brain Surgery, What's Your Excuse by Suzy Becker

Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi

Prime Green: Remembering the Sixties by Robert Stone

John Lennon: The Life

A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer

Seducing the Demon: Writing For My Life by Erica Jong

Slash by Slash

Graphic Novels/Manga:

Haibane Renmei

Watchmen

Borrowed

Paranorlmacy by Kirsten White

Books on list so far: 113

It goes without saying that this list will most likely be growing throughout the year (if I can *hopefully* remember to keep it updated!) Right now I am hoping to finish one last book for 2010- Paranormalcy by Kirsten White, chances are I won't finish it until after the new year, though. So far its a really great story, probably one of the top 3 YA fantasy books I've read this year.

One of the really awesome things about my job is that I can borrow any book anytime I want at the store. I can also borrow the Nook eReaders for a few days at a time too and rent any book I want on it, so this year I'm hoping to get much more reading done than last year! I can officially say that reading is 'research for work', which is pretty awesome. :D

Edited by CaliLily

Hey Abby, impressive list; it definitely looks like you've got some good books to get through in 2011. I've been thinking about trying to sort out my to-be-read list, which when it was abandoned stood at around 95. Since then I've bought a lot more books, plus download a lot for my Amazon Kindle, so my to-be-read pile is probably looking somewhere closer to the two-hundreds at the minute. Obviously you can see why I'm debating about having a sort out. Anyway, enough of my deliberating, hope you have a good year for reading and I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Edited by Ben

Thanks Ben :) Good luck to you as well! It seems like this time every year we make ambitious plans, I'll keep my fingers crossed that we can both follow through with them for 2011! :D

I read some more of Paranormalcy last night and might actually have to buy this one. I'd only borrowed it from work but its one that I'd like to own. *sigh* So much for saving money by borrowing the booksies! (And a big yay for another in the series coming out soon!) :D

Thanks Ben :) Good luck to you as well! It seems like this time every year we make ambitious plans, I'll keep my fingers crossed that we can both follow through with them for 2011! :D

Yes, seems every year I start well and dwindle, I'm hoping next year is a lot different to be honest. On another note, I've spent the last four hours re-organising my books now, and I'm about to make a to-be-read list. I'm slightly worried that the total will put me off altogether, haha.

Edited by Ben

Yes, seems every year I start well and dwindle, I'm hoping next year is a lot different to be honest. On another note, I've spent the last four hours re-organising my books now, and I'm about to make a to-be-read list. I'm slightly worried that the total will put me off altogether, haha.

Yay for book organization!! As soon as I can muster up some energy that list above will be alphabetized and sorted a little bit better. Part of the fun of reading is making the lists :D Oh how I love lists! There is a yearly planner at work that is all about list making and I am thinking of picking it up today :D

One of the books I'm most excited about for 2011 is the 4th and final book in the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare- City of Fallen Angels. If you haven't read that series yet DO IT!!!!! Seriously, it's one of the best YA series I've ever read and my second favorite fantasy world (behind Harry Potter.) If I remember correctly it is coming out in April. *takes off pimp hat* :smile2:

I love lists too; it seems like there's a few of us list-lovers on here. I agree entirely, though, making lists is great; procrastination is in general really, although most of the time it just stops me from getting things done, hehe. I just finished organising and cataloging my to-be-read books - digital and non-digital - and the list stands at a depressing 214. Looks like 2011 is going to be an uphill struggle.

One of the books I'm most excited about for 2011 is the 4th and final book in the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare- City of Fallen Angels. If you haven't read that series yet DO IT!!!!! Seriously, it's one of the best YA series I've ever read and my second favorite fantasy world (behind Harry Potter.) If I remember correctly it is coming out in April. *takes off pimp hat* :smile2:

Ooh thanks for the recommendation - I've heard of them before; I think a friend may of mentioned them but I just didn't get around to purchasing them. In my day of total bookishness - that is a word, trust me - I decided that I might as well go the whole run and get myself working on a wishlist as well as completely organising all my books in my room, and making a to-be-read list as well. Thanks to you, I have my first book for the list.

We should! Its so hard to find such a solid YA fantasy among all the writers trying to cash in on the hype. She's got such a great way of sucking her readers into the story by her gift for description and good writing!

I do know about that and can't wait! The Infernal Devices series is definitely my favorite of the two because I'm really enjoying the 1800s setting and steampunk style, but The Mortal Instruments is ending and there is always something extra special about that final book in a series! All 4 Clare books are going to need to be reread this year before the next 2 come out! Did you hear that she sold the film rights for City of Bones? Last I heard they were working on finding a screen writer :D

I have the first book from both the Mortal Instruments and the Infernal Devices series. I think I may have asked this before, but which one do you think I should read first?

I hope you have an awesome 2011, Abby, both in reading and every other aspect of your life. friends0.gif

Definitely start with the Mortal Instruments because it introduces the 'worlds' and the terms used throughout both series where as the Infernal Devices series reads more like a continuation in that world without the full descriptions and explinations (even though its actually a prequel). I really hope you enjoy them, Kylie! *huggles* Things have been a bit off lately, but as always, we need the rotten bits so that we can appreciate the good ones when they come along :)

Hiya Abby, and happy reading in 2011! You have some really interesting books on your TBR, ones that I haven't yet read myself but would like to:

Utopia by Sir Thomas More

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Buffy the Vampire Slayer 1

Slash by Slash

If you want to re-read Reading Lolita in Tehran, maybe we could do that as a Rory Gilmore reading group circle? I know we talked about it before but then we never got back to it for some reason. No hurries on my side though. :)

That would be a great book to do for thr Rory Challenge! Seems like we've all kinda been neglecting that one lately. Did you want to continue sort of how we did last year by choosing a book a month to read or should we try something different for 2011?

I didn't join in with the RG read of The Catcher in the Rye because I was trying not to buy any more books (yeah, like that was ever going to work!) but I am definitely up for getting back into the challenge this year :) I will have to try and find my list, though, it seems to have gone astray somewhere...

I do know about that and can't wait! The Infernal Devices series is definitely my favorite of the two because I'm really enjoying the 1800s setting and steampunk style, but The Mortal Instruments is ending and there is always something extra special about that final book in a series! All 4 Clare books are going to need to be reread this year before the next 2 come out! Did you hear that she sold the film rights for City of Bones? Last I heard they were working on finding a screen writer :D

Wow! :o That's fantastic! A film series of the books would be brilliant! Hmm I wonder who they'll get to play the main characters? :exc:

I think the Rory challenge worked well last year. We may not have read a book per month but I was happy with that because I didn't feel too pressured. I like the casual way it worked last year so I'm happy for it to continue that way. :)

Wow! :o That's fantastic! A film series of the books would be brilliant! Hmm I wonder who they'll get to play the main characters? :exc:

I have a feeling if they get it on the big screen it will be a huge hit. Who knows, maybe we are witnessing the next new book/movie 'fad'! :giggle:

Ah! I have internet again for a few minutes here at work and can finally update my little reading list. I am still reading Paranormalcy and enjoying it but have gotten a bit sidetracked by a manga book I've been wating to read for a while now called Haibane Renmei. The art is so beautiful in it and the story is really unique and interesting. I'm about halfway through Haibane Renmei now and will probably finish it before the weekend.

I have just bought a copy of Watchmen today as well and am looking forward to joining in on the reading circle group this month! :)

Edit:

*Have added Watchmen, Paranormalcy, Haibane Renmei and Never Let Me Go by Kazu Ishiguro to my list. :)

Edited by CaliLily

Hope you enjoy Watchmen, Abby, I am seven chapters in now and do like it - a very different experience from reading a traditional novel though, I find, and I have to read a "normal" book at the same time! Look forward to hearing how you find it :)

Abby, you and Charm have both sold me on The Mortal Instruments books and the Infernal Devices too, they are all waiting to be read :) Thank you! :)

I left my copy of 'City Of Bones' at my parent's house a few weeks back, so that one of my sisters could borrow it. She has only just got her hands on it as my Mum was hooked from the first page! :lol: My Mum has now read all three, and my sister has taken the three books into protective custody.

I have a copy of 'Clockwork Angel' wending it's way to me, that I imagine will have to head to my sister via my Mum too. I think it's great, and goes to show what excellent reads they are.

I have a feeling if they get it on the big screen it will be a huge hit. Who knows, maybe we are witnessing the next new book/movie 'fad'! :giggle:

I think so too! I honestly think they are better than the Twilight series which has a huge following, we are most definitely witnessing a new movie fad if they are made. Can't wait!

Abby, you and Charm have both sold me on The Mortal Instruments books and the Infernal Devices too, they are all waiting to be read :) Thank you! :)

Read ASAP Weave! You won't be sorry ;)

I left my copy of 'City Of Bones' at my parent's house a few weeks back, so that one of my sisters could borrow it. She has only just got her hands on it as my Mum was hooked from the first page! :lol: My Mum has now read all three, and my sister has taken the three books into protective custody.

I have a copy of 'Clockwork Angel' wending it's way to me, that I imagine will have to head to my sister via my Mum too. I think it's great, and goes to show what excellent reads they are.

I love how books travel! My daughter (kookie) is reading City of Bones, (when her mojo appears ..it's rather temperamental like mine atm :irked: ) and I just know when she finishes it she will want to go straight on to the next one! :D

That would be a great book to do for thr Rory Challenge! Seems like we've all kinda been neglecting that one lately. Did you want to continue sort of how we did last year by choosing a book a month to read or should we try something different for 2011?

I think the Rory challenge worked well last year. We may not have read a book per month but I was happy with that because I didn't feel too pressured. I like the casual way it worked last year so I'm happy for it to continue that way. :)

We've been totally neglecting the Rory thread and challenge lately :blush: I think it would be awesome to get back on track with it, as a group. I'm with Kylie on how to manage the challenge, I think a book a month, regularly, might become a homework kind of thing for me, something that I know needs to be done so it would start to become less and less pleasurable. I'm all in for the casualness! :smile2:

I didn't join in with the RG read of The Catcher in the Rye because I was trying not to buy any more books (yeah, like that was ever going to work!) but I am definitely up for getting back into the challenge this year :) I will have to try and find my list, though, it seems to have gone astray somewhere...

I feel bad because I didn't do The Catcher in the Rye either, eventhough I said I would. I shouldn't have promised, but I thought I would have the time to do it. It was timing, I was in the middle of packing and getting back home and stuff. But this year I'm all Rory's :D

Hope you enjoy Watchmen, Abby, I am seven chapters in now and do like it - a very different experience from reading a traditional novel though, I find, and I have to read a "normal" book at the same time! Look forward to hearing how you find it

Glad you're liking it so far, Ooshie! That's exactly what I was expecting, too! Until now the only comics I've ever read have been on Bazooka bubble gum wrappers! A girl at work who checked me out with it today is a huge fan of graphic novels and just raved about it. She said that it reads more like a book than comics which I was thankful to hear. I'm reading a manga book at the moment and am starting to get used to the difference in flow (and going slower so I can look at the pictures along the way ). I think this graphic novel/manga/comic world is one that I'm going to really enjoy exploring more in the future!

Abby, you and Charm have both sold me on The Mortal Instruments books and the Infernal Devices too, they are all waiting to be read Thank you!

I left my copy of 'City Of Bones' at my parent's house a few weeks back, so that one of my sisters could borrow it. She has only just got her hands on it as my Mum was hooked from the first page! My Mum has now read all three, and my sister has taken the three books into protective custody.

I think so too! I honestly think they are better than the Twilight series which has a huge following, we are most definitely witnessing a new movie fad if they are made. Can't wait!

Read ASAP Weave! You won't be sorry ;)

I love how books travel! My daughter (kookie) is reading City of Bones, (when her mojo appears ..it's rather temperamental like mine atm ) and I just know when she finishes it she will want to go straight on to the next one!

Bwuhahahaha... my goal of achieving the ability to control the minds of my fellow humans is working! First step, BCF... second step THE WOOOOOOORLD! *puts on superhero cape and stands dramatically*

Yeah... blame it on the comic books... :readingtwo:

I'm really glad to hear so many people enjoying Cassie Clare's work. The woman sure is getting around! :giggle: I agree, she is a MUCH better writer than Stephenie Meyer and the world she has created is one that has so much potential. One of my favorite male characters in YA Lit is her character Jem from Clockwork Angel. I fell in love with him from the beginning and think he is much more interesting and 'realistic' than so many of the other characters in YA fiction these days. He has an amazing story and by the end of the book I felt as if he was a beloved friend who I had known for years. So many characters are easily forgettable, but hers really stay with you. They become real (at least to me.)

We've been totally neglecting the Rory thread and challenge lately I think it would be awesome to get back on track with it, as a group. I'm with Kylie on how to manage the challenge, I think a book a month, regularly, might become a homework kind of thing for me, something that I know needs to be done so it would start to become less and less pleasurable. I'm all in for the casualness! :smile2:

Poor Rory thread! I'll go throw a post out in it and see if anyone would be up for reading a book in February (since so many of us are probably busy with our January reading already ;) ). Hopefully we can give it some love and cuddles and find a few more of the newbies to join in this year. :)