Imaginative and Enchanting Fantasy Novels?

Hello all,

I haven't read a book for years, but remembering how much I loved fantasy books as a child, I want to read more. I find that the whimsical, enchanting worlds created in children's fantasy books that I loved just don't exist in teenage/adult books. The books that I loved the most were Emily Rodda's Deltora Quest books and I enjoyed a few Terry Pratchet books but I'm looking for something a bit more serious. I'm 16, bored and uninspired; I need something to capture my imagination!

help would be muchly appreciated, thanks :)

I read The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster recently and absolutely loved it. Whimsical, enchanting and imaginative are all perfect words to describe it.

I would also recommend anything by Walter Moers. I've read The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear and it was brilliant. I'm as certain as I can be that his other works will be equally brilliant.

You could also try The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. It's a bit darker, but very good indeed.

I hope that helps!

"Imaginative and enchanting".

You just described the books of Patricia McKillip. I think you would love her work. She basically writes adult fairy tales. Her prose is dreamlike and poignant. You could start with The Forgotten Beasts of Eld, Alphabet of Thorn, or Winter Rose to see if you like her style.

Another book that fits your description is The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle. A beautiful, somewhat sad fantasy tale full of poetic prose.

You also might like The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. If you know the movie, the book is far, far better.

Happy reading!

Edited by Pixie

You could also try The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper. First in series is Over Sea, Under Stone, but you could stasrt at book 2 "The Dark is Rising" which is also a terrific stand-alone story.

Edited by davidr

How about The Earth's Children series by Jean M Auel starting with Clan of the Cave Bear :D

That's not fantasy is it? Historical fiction more, and I wouldn't call it enchanting. Don't get me wrong, I love the series, I just don't think they fit here.

The Neverending Story is a great one, I love it. Garth Nix Old Kingdom trilogy maybe, it's also young adult books, the subject is a little less light (necromancer etc) but the way it's written and the world it creates is magical.