Whose autobiography?

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help...

I picked up a random book in a bookshop, read the first few pages and put it back. Now I'm trying to remember whose book it was, I'm pretty sure it was an autobiography, but I might be wrong.

All I remember is a female protagonist, it started to tell the story (in the first person) of a young girl going to school and not fitting in, she was lonely at school but couldn't tell her parents because she they had troubles of their own and she didn't think it fair. Then she makes a friend who lives a few doors down on the same street, another little girl of around the same age who has a pet bird. This friend's room is on the second/third floor of a house. One day the protagonist goes to visit her friend only to discover that the window of her friends room is open and that she tragically fell to her death. The author goes on to write of her shock and confusion, death was something she only ever associated with old people, for a child to die and so suddenly left her disoriented to say the least.

This is all I remember of the book! I may have some details wrong, but the gist of it is there I think. If anyone knows what book this might be please let me know this is driving me slightly insane.

Thanks!